PDA

View Full Version : De la Hoya or Mosely, who you got?

Ken1015
09-12-2003, 07:58 AM
This is a tough one. I don't know who to pick.

JMJ
09-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Sugar Shane......JMJ

ChiJAM
09-12-2003, 08:15 AM
My gut reaction is to go with Shane. However, Vernon Forrest (er?) humbled him big time. Then, he looked less than spectacular against some scrub not too long ago. But De LaHoya hasn't had a big fight since Vargas. He beat him, but needed the big pillows to soften Vargas' blows. I think Shane is still fast, but his last few fights have proven that you can disrupt his game plan. Prediction: Shane in a split decision.

ChiJAM

beaniboy67
09-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Here is acool but funny story for u guys!!

I was over in the US about 5 years ago .My brother got married in vegas.I then went to live in Big Bear California with my cousin for a week.We were out partying at a bar and we were havin a pool competition with a bunch of guys.The guys were cool then a fight broke out outside the bar with some local people.Me and my scottish friend and my cousin were laughing and shouting at the people fighting.We were sayin "you call that a punch" You fight like a woman lol.The guys who we were drinking with were laughing too and saying the same.They were egging the guys to fight harder outside.Once all the hilarity was over the dudes we were drinking with were making fun of each other saying "those dudes would beat ure ass in a fight and stuff".We were all laughing and making jokes.In the next hour or so we actually found out who the guys we were partying with were.It was a Mexican boxing club and they were in Big Bear mountain training for there next fights.One of the guys was Oscar Delahoya.This was pretty cool i wasactually drinking and partying with Delahoya and his boxing camp lol.The funny thing is they asked us to go down to the gym and watch them train and stuff,We never went.Probably one of the stupidiest thing ive ever done was not going!! smile.gif

Linedog
09-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Great story!

My Vote is the Golden Boy. I am not particularly fond of him personally but his skills seem to have gotten better in these past few fights. His only blemish is the Mosley fight. I know Tito beat him on the cards but I feel that was questionable at best. Tito was a great champion but their fight was much closer than that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
09-12-2003, 08:30 AM
This is a real tough one. They are both excellent boxers. I think De La Hoya is a smarter fighter than he was last fight. I will go with Shane though cause he dominated Oscar so badly last time. I think it will be a better much closer fight than the first.

Djay Raare
09-12-2003, 08:33 AM
DE LA HOYA!!!!!! Right here graemlins/grinyes.gif

Bold Soul
09-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Eargasm:
This is a real tough one. They are both excellent boxers. I think De La Hoya is a smarter fighter than he was last fight. I will go with Shane though cause he dominated Oscar so badly last time. I think it will be a better much closer fight than the first. What fight were you watching?

De La - 10th.

[ September 12, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Bold Soul ]

Fletch
09-12-2003, 08:58 AM
DeLaHoya in 9. DeLa will cut off the ring and take away that sugar speed.

Then, it's Hopkins at 160!!!!

Linedog
09-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Eargasm:
This is a real tough one. They are both excellent boxers. I think De La Hoya is a smarter fighter than he was last fight. I will go with Shane though cause he dominated Oscar so badly last time. I think it will be a better much closer fight than the first. The last fight was close they traded fairly often but it looked like DLH was tanking towards the end. But, a good fight night will be had by all.

Linedog
09-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by einnod23:
DeLaHoya in 9. DeLa will cut off the ring and take away that sugar speed.

Then, it's Hopkins at 160!!!! I don't know about this fight. A lot of time before that can even be put on the table.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
09-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Bold Soul:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Eargasm:
This is a real tough one. They are both excellent boxers. I think De La Hoya is a smarter fighter than he was last fight. I will go with Shane though cause he dominated Oscar so badly last time. I think it will be a better much closer fight than the first. What fight were you watching?

De La - 10th. </font>[/QUOTE]I was watching Mosley De La Hoya. De La Hoya got beat soundly.

marki
09-12-2003, 09:08 AM
This is going all the way and there's no doubt in my mind the Golden Boy is getting the nod on w12 pts. This man is an absolute living legend in a sporting sense, he is an as pure as hell athlete of the highest calibre. I'm in no doubt both men are gonna be getting tagged regular but Oscar is going to be the clear winner. Bwoy I luv the boxing.

Sharp Eye Washington
09-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Oscar wins but he is going to have to work hard for it. Mosely is desperate. A desperate fighter is a dangerous fighter. However I think Oscar will win by an 11th round TKO. I also think each fighter will taste the canvas. This has the makings of a classic. Get your VCR/DVD recorders ready this may be the fight of the year. This morning I read a really good article regarding Saturday’s fight by Max Kellerman of ESPN. Check it out if you can. http://msn.espn.go.com/boxing/columns/kellerman_max/1612871.html

ChiJAM
09-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Oscar wins but he is going to have to work hard for it. Mosely is desperate. A desperate fighter is a dangerous fighter. However I think Oscar will win by an 11th round TKO. I also think each fighter will taste the canvas. This has the makings of a classic. Get your VCR/DVD recorders ready this may be the fight of the year. This morning I read a really good article regarding Saturday’s fight by Max Kellerman of ESPN. Check it out if you can. http://msn.espn.go.com/boxing/columns/kellerman_max/1612871.html
Mike "the body snatcher" McCallum. Donald Curry did fade from memory pretty quickly...

ChiJAM

Koffy Brown
09-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Been waiting on this fight...I'mma say Sugar Shane...fo' sho' although I think it's going to be a toughie...

mhd
09-12-2003, 10:08 AM
oscar's trainer, Mayweather, will be the difference, this guy has the science

Sharp Eye Washington
09-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by mhd:
oscar's trainer, Mayweather, will be the difference, this guy has the science Great Point!

Sharp Eye Washington
09-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Mosely should have fired his dad after that 2nd Forrest fight. He still had no answer for Forrest. (Who appears to be a mediocre fighter thanks to Mayorga) Having to can your dad would have to be a tough call but business is business. As MHD pointed out the corner can be crucial especially in big fights. Angelo Dundee stayed in Ali's corner to the end because of how he handled the Henry Cooper knockdown (torn glove) & the Sonny Liston issue (sending blind Clay out to fight the Mike Tyson of his day) Very important & overlooked part of the sweet science, the corner.

Tee Mallory
09-12-2003, 12:45 PM
If they were still at 147 I would pick Shane but I think Oscar wins definitely on points possibly by late-round KO cause he's proven himself to be more comfortable at 154 by knocking out Vargas with that hook and fighting decent tune-ups so he's ready. Having Mayweather in the corner this time also helps Oscar's situation considerably.

Shane to me didn't put in enough work at 154 to be a solid contender after the two losses to Forrest point blank.

Shane's speed was the deciding factor in the first fight but at 154 I doubt if he will have the same stamina to pull off the late-rounds rally he did in the first fight. Still the best matchup out there bar none.

TM

Linedog
09-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Tee Mallory:
If they were still at 147 I would pick Shane but I think Oscar wins definitely on points possibly by late-round KO cause he's proven himself to be more comfortable at 154 by knocking out Vargas with that hook and fighting decent tune-ups so he's ready. Having Mayweather in the corner this time also helps Oscar's situation considerably.

Shane to me didn't put in enough work at 154 to be a solid contender after the two losses to Forrest point blank.

Shane's speed was the deciding factor in the first fight but at 154 I doubt if he will have the same stamina to pull off the late-rounds rally he did in the first fight. Still the best matchup out there bar none.

TM Your on point with this one. Also adding weight not only slows you down a bit because of increased mass. But your in with heavier hitters that can take a hit from a 147 pounder. Speed will be essential to a victory for Mosely. While DLH will have a grab bag of options. What The corner does will really determine who cinches the deal on this fight too.

I know, I have both fought and also trained fighters.

[ September 12, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Linedog ]

1SmoothDj
09-12-2003, 12:54 PM
I've gotta give it to DeLa Hoya. He's an exceptionally intelligent fighter not taking anything from Mosley. But after seeing Mosley in his last few fights and losing to Forrest gives Hoya the edge in my book. You can never be fooled by the matter of factly calm De La Hoya is known for...he is a beast underneath. I'd bet on this one although it should prove to be an excellent rematch!

Marv

Tee Mallory
09-12-2003, 01:06 PM
I read somewhere that Oscar re-injured his left hand and took a cortisone shot for it. I think he might be trying to get into Shane's head a little bit.

TM

Sharp Eye Washington
09-12-2003, 01:28 PM
When Shane loses tommorow night he will have to turn in his Sugar card". That is reserved for the greats. Anybody remember Sugar Ray Seales?

Fletch
09-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Phil Bernard:
When Shane loses tommorow night he will have to turn in his Sugar card". That is reserved for the greats. Anybody remember Sugar Ray Seales? '72 Olympian. Too many fights left him legally blind. Didn't he pass away?

To add, when Howard Cosell turned around and advocated abolition of boxing, the plight of Sugar Ray Seales became Cosell's poster child.

[ September 12, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: einnod23 ]

Sharp Eye Washington
09-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by einnod23:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Phil Bernard:
When Shane loses tommorow night he will have to turn in his Sugar card". That is reserved for the greats. Anybody remember Sugar Ray Seales? '72 Olympian. Too many fights left him legally blind. Didn't he pass away?

To add, when Howard Cosell turned around and advocated abolition of boxing, the plight of Sugar Ray Seales became Cosell's poster child. </font>[/QUOTE]He passed? Wow, didn't know. Thanks.

Fletch
09-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Phil Bernard:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by einnod23:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Phil Bernard:

To add, when Howard Cosell turned around and advocated abolition of boxing, the plight of Sugar Ray Seales became Cosell's poster child. </font>[/QUOTE]He passed? Wow, didn't know. Thanks. </font>[/QUOTE]Please forgive me. He did not pass away!!!! Also, he was the '72 Gold Medalist in the light welterweight division.

He did go legally blind, though.

AD
09-12-2003, 05:55 PM
I'm going with De La Hoya on this one because I think he'll come back stronger and smarter than the last match-up. This is gonna be one kick ass fight.

the 18th letter
09-12-2003, 08:23 PM
See y'all trippin. The 7lbs from 147 to 154 is going to slow Shane down graemlins/stupid.gif . Shane is still gonna be lightning fast, but DeLaHoya's patience hinges on revenge. He's looking for the big payback!! Shane is in a must win situation, he will be as the Looney Tunes would say, " a has been, nothing but a has been. " You know what they say a cornered animal is the most dangerous, if Shane ain't in a corner....Cuz lose this one he can start lookin for a new line of work!

Djay Raare
09-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Albert Diaz:
I'm going with De La Hoya on this one because I think he'll come back stronger and smarter than the last match-up. This is gonna be one kick ass fight. Same here brother, same here its going to be De La Hoya all the way..... graemlins/beerchug.gif where's the brews...

MC
09-13-2003, 03:23 PM
I gotta go with De La Hoya, too. In the 10th. I'm calling it!!

AD
09-13-2003, 06:48 PM
I've got $100 bones riding on this so "The Golden Boy" better win this ish. AR15firing.gif

MyNia
09-13-2003, 10:25 PM
I've got $100 bones riding on this so "The Golden Boy" better win this ish. AR15firing.gif Pay whoever you bet that $100 graemlins/rofl.gif

[ September 13, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: mynia ]

YUJI-SAN
09-14-2003, 12:25 AM
man DeLa hoya got rob graemlins/cussing.gif mad1.gif graemlins/cussing.gif mad1.gif graemlins/cussing.gif

AD
09-14-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by mynia:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Albert Diaz:
I've got $100 bones riding on this so "The Golden Boy" better win this ish. AR15firing.gif Pay whoever you bet that $100 graemlins/rofl.gif </font>[/QUOTE]F that! They can pay on deez nuts cause I ain't paying sheeyat! Oscar was straight up robbed! F'in judges!! Who paid there asses??? Muther fuggers!!

Sam The Man Burns
09-14-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by YUJI-SAN:
man DeLa hoya got rob graemlins/cussing.gif mad1.gif graemlins/cussing.gif mad1.gif graemlins/cussing.gif He is really hurting with 17 million dollars in his pocket...........

M-TRAXXX
09-14-2003, 01:53 AM
Brothers...De La Hoya got it by a long shot!!!
Boxing was always a fixed sport.

M-TRAXXX.

Djay Raare
09-14-2003, 07:24 AM
Mosley Beats De La Hoya in Close, Unanimous Decision
Golden Boy Vowed to Retire if He Lost

By TIM DAHLBERG
.c The Associated Press

LAS VEGAS (Sept. 13) -- Shane Mosley's formula for beating Oscar De La Hoya goes something like this: Use speed, win the late rounds and hope the judges are kind.

It worked for Mosley three years ago, and it worked even better Saturday night.

Winning the last four rounds on all three scorecards, Mosley won a close but unanimous decision to beat De La Hoya for the second time and win the WBC and WBA 154-pound titles.

A contest that was either fighter's to win went to Mosley because he outworked a bloodied and tiring De La Hoya in the final rounds of a bout that was almost a carbon copy of the first fight they put on in June 2000.

The decision left De La Hoya outraged, while Mosley celebrated the rebirth of a career that stalled with two losses to Vernon Forrest.

"I thought I won by one or two rounds,'' Mosley said. "He gave me a lot of movement. I knew I hurt him. He never hurt me.''

De La Hoya said he planned to hire lawyers Monday to investigate the decision.

"I'm not doing this because I'm a sore loser,'' De La Hoya said. "I'm doing this for the sport of boxing.''

But Marc Ratner, director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, said the result wasn't out of line.

"There's nothing to protest,'' Ratner said. "It was a judges decision.''

In a fight almost as close as the first one, Mosley was the busier and faster fighter, beating De La Hoya to the punch and staying away from the left hook De La Hoya used to knock out his last two opponents.

De La Hoya was leading on two scorecards and even on a third midway through the fight, but Mosley won the last five rounds on two cards and the last four on a third.

"It happened in the (Felix) Trinidad fight and it happened here,'' De La Hoya said. "I thought I won the fight. I didn't even think it was close.''

All three judges did, though, scoring it 115-113 for Mosley, who won a split decision the first time the two met. The Associated Press had Mosley winning 116-113.

The fight meant far more to De La Hoya than a few gaudy belts. He vowed before the bout to retire if he lost again to Mosley.

"I love the sport. I love boxing. I love fighting like a warrior,'' he said. "I'm not sure what will happen.''

Just like the first fight, Mosley was fresher and faster in the later rounds, while De La Hoya looked weary and tried to win rounds by fighting in flurries in the final seconds.

The fight before a sellout crowd of 16,268 at the MGM Grand hotel was billed as redemption for De La Hoya, who lost to Mosley when both were young amateurs and again when they met as pros.

But it turned more into vindication for Mosley, whose career hit the skids when he lost twice to Vernon Forrest and who hadn't won a fight in more than two years.

"I think it could warrant a third fight whenever he wants to do it,'' Mosley said.

De La Hoya wasn't so willing.

"No, he beat me twice,'' he said. "That's it.''

Mosley was the aggressor throughout, though he pressed the action only in spurts. By the late rounds, though, he was putting on more pressure, and the fighters went toe-to-toe in a hotly paced final round before the bell rang and they hugged like two warriors who had given their all.

De La Hoya was guaranteed $17 million, though he agreed to pay Mosley $500,000 of that if he lost. By winning, Mosley pocketed $5 million.

The money, though, wasn't De La Hoya's biggest motivation. He desperately wanted to avenge one of only two defeats in a remarkable career in which he has won titles in five weight classes and earned some $150 million in the ring.

By the 12th round, that desperation seemed to show as De La Hoya came out and the two met in the center of the ring and threw punches almost nonstop for the first minute.

"We were never concerned in the corner,'' De La Hoya's trainer, Floyd Mayweather, said. "We never even thought of losing. It never crossed our minds.''

There were questions about Mosley's power at 154 pounds, a weight he had gone only two full rounds at before. But he seemed to land the bigger punches and had a big ninth round where he rocked De La Hoya on several occasions.

"I felt such overwhelming power throughout the fight,'' Mosley said.

Punch stats showed De La Hoya landed 221 punches to 127 for Mosley, though most of Mosley's punches were power punches while De La Hoya's were jabs.

The partisan De La Hoya crowd packed the hotel arena looking for the fight of the year. De La Hoya was a 2-1 favorite, and he said he had found a way to negate Mosley's speed in the rematch.

The first few rounds were fought cautiously, but the tempo of the fight seemed to pick up after De La Hoya (39-3, 29 knockouts) was cut next to his right eye during a clash of heads early in the fourth round. By the end of the fifth round, the fighters were going at it toe-to-toe, much to the pleasure of the crowd.

"You let him steal that round,'' Mosley's father, Jack, told his son after the fifth round.

"No I didn't,'' Mosley replied.

De La Hoya was bleeding from the fourth round on from a cut next to his right eye caused by the head butt. But it never seemed to affect his vision in a fight that had no knockdowns.

Midway through, Jack Mosley was urging his son to press the action so De La Hoya couldn't win a close decision.

It proved to be wise fatherly advice.

"My father was trying to convey to me since we're in Las Vegas and it's Oscar's town we had to pour it on in the last rounds,'' Mosley said.

Mosley (39-2, 35 knockouts) did just that, pressing the action and dictating the tempo.

Mosley had been unhappy about his purse, threatening not to sign a contract until De La Hoya agreed to give him the extra $500,000 if he won. At the end of the fight he was that much richer, but money wasn't everything.

"I would have been heartbroken to lose in the ring after losing the negotiations outside the ring,'' Mosley said.

graemlins/cussing.gif BULL SHIT!!! mad1.gif Mosley lost De La HOYA WON this fight....

ChiJAM
09-14-2003, 07:36 AM
DLH did not get robbed. It was closer than the judges had it, though. I don't think DLH lost 7-5 on each scorecard--I think two 6-6 cards and a 7-5 in favor of Shane were in order. Shane caught up to him in the later rounds and hurt him a few times, too. DLH didn't backpedal like he did against Tito, but Mosley definitely took the fight to him in the later rounds. 4 of the 5 ringside sportswriters that Lampley polled had Mosley winning and Max Kellerman had Shane winning 8-4. I thought the fight would be more exciting--I should've saved my PPV money for RJJ v. Antonio Tarver...

ChiJAM

Erob the One
09-14-2003, 09:05 AM
This decision was bad bad bad for the boxing sport. Las Vegas did not want to go broke so the fix was in. DLH keep his off with a strong jab all nite. Mosely got off in the last 4 round, but other than that he was dominated. Even his father said, "you have to knock him out now!" If he was convinced he was winnig he never would have told his fighter that. Man, I have seen some bad calls, but this one is historic. Late in the 10th round, I even told my peeps, "I don't trust the judges." By the way fck Larry Merchant in his drunk stank ass.

Erob

Erob the One
09-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Just for the record, DLH was bleeding from a head but, which I am finding a trend in Mosley's fighting style. Head butt in the 1st Forest fight, Head but in his last fight that was called a no contest, and on last night. I use to be a big Mosley fan, but he just ain't been the same since he got his ass whooped by Forest.

Erob

MC
09-14-2003, 10:54 AM
DLH got robbed man. Look at the stats!!

Koffy Brown
09-15-2003, 07:30 AM
This fight was exactly like the one in 2000...Exactly...it could've been the same fight...the decision was not good...and besides all of that ...the fight was boring as hell to me...I think DLH could have very well won...

Ken1015
09-15-2003, 07:43 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mynia:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Albert Diaz:
I've got $100 bones riding on this so "The Golden Boy" better win this ish. AR15firing.gif Pay whoever you bet that $100 graemlins/rofl.gif </font>[/QUOTE]F that! They can pay on deez nuts cause I ain't paying sheeyat! Oscar was straight up robbed! F'in judges!! Who paid there asses??? Muther fuggers!! </font>[/QUOTE]Al, you made the deal and you have to honor it. Nobody likes to lose a bet but, so what, that's no excuse to welsh on it.

Bold Soul
09-15-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Michael J. Carmona:
DLH got robbed man. Look at the stats!! Boxing doesn't like handsome, well spoken and likable champions. Boxing wants pompus street-thugs that enter the ring with a thousand hangers-on rapping some single that they recorded in their home studio. Boxing likes tacky ex-convicts, not cats like De La.

And its obvious that Shane Mosley learned the head-butt from Vernon Forrest.

fred da warrior
09-15-2003, 08:20 AM
I thought at worst, the fight would end in a draw and at best, Oscar would eek out a small victory, mabye by a point or so. So I was not totally surprised (nor outraged) that Shane won, given the clear momentum that he had in the last 4-5 rounds. What DID surprised me was the margin of points that Shane Mosley won by on each of the judges' scorecard, that kind of margin one would think that Shane would have had a couple of dominating 10-8 rounds in his favor or a knockdown, which was not the case. I thought that Oscar did enough early to sustain. Actually, that might have been his thinking as well, a'la Trinidad.

Great bout, nonetheless.

mhd
09-15-2003, 08:30 AM
in rounds 1-5 espn.com had it oscar 4 and shane 1, but on their broadcast they had it shane 4 oscar 1. shane rocked him in the 1st, 9th and 12th and oscar fought most of the fight backing up

Djay Raare
09-15-2003, 08:37 AM
who landed more de la hoya or mosley mmmm I think it was De La HOYA mosley was just playing not even boxing he was too close to him he didnt do jack it was a bogus fight De la Hoya should of had it..... mad1.gif

ChiJAM
09-15-2003, 08:45 AM
What DID surprised me was the margin of points that Shane Mosley won by on each of the judges' scorecard, that kind of margin one would think that Shane would have had a couple of dominating 10-8 rounds in his favor or a knockdown, which was not the case. Me, too. I think that explained Shane's look of surprise when they announced the results as well. When he announced that all 3 judges scored it 115-113, I thought Oscar was the winner.

On another note, Shane's corner was in disarray. The last 3 rounds, it seemed like Shane was just boxing on instinct, with no substantive input from his corner. It seemed like he just went out there and simply fought--tried to press the action, cut off the ring, etc. His father didn't seem to give him any pointed advice. Oscar said that Jack Mosley doesn't have anything more to teach Shane, but I don't know if that is true or not. However, that was not a championship corner on Saturday night.

ChiJAM

mhd
09-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by ChiJAM:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />What DID surprised me was the margin of points that Shane Mosley won by on each of the judges' scorecard, that kind of margin one would think that Shane would have had a couple of dominating 10-8 rounds in his favor or a knockdown, which was not the case. Me, too. I think that explained Shane's look of surprise when they announced the results as well. When he announced that all 3 judges scored it 115-113, I thought Oscar was the winner.

On another note, Shane's corner was in disarray. The last 3 rounds, it seemed like Shane was just boxing on instinct, with no substantive input from his corner. It seemed like he just went out there and simply fought--tried to press the action, cut off the ring, etc. His father didn't seem to give him any pointed advice. Oscar said that Jack Mosley doesn't have anything more to teach Shane, but I don't know if that is true or not. However, that was not a championship corner on Saturday night.

ChiJAM </font>[/QUOTE]all they did was coach their fighter to victory

a

fred da warrior
09-15-2003, 08:57 AM

Good observation. I thought this fact was one of the main reasons Shane lost both Forrest fights.

ChiJAM [/QB][/QUOTE]

ChiJAM
09-15-2003, 09:07 AM
all they did was coach their fighter to victory I don't agree--I think Shane took it upon himself to win that fight. The boxer openly questioning the suggested tactics of his corner is not a good sign. His corner kept him focused, but the substantive suggestions were lacking. I forget what round it was, but Jack suggested that Shane do something and Shane said: "But, he's got a good left" or something to that effect. The corner got the win, but that coaching was not championship caliber.

In fairness, HBO split time between both corners during the 1 min. between rounds, so maybe there was some more pointed commentary that I missed out on.

ChiJAM

[ September 15, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: ChiJAM ]

mhd
09-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by ChiJAM:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />all they did was coach their fighter to victory I don't agree--I think Shane took it upon himself to win that fight. The boxer openly questioning the suggested tactics of his corner is not a good sign. His corner kept him focused, but the substantive suggestions were lacking. I forget what round it was, but Jack suggested that Shane do something and Shane said: "But, he's got a good left" or something to that effect. The corner got the win, but that coaching was not championship caliber.

In fairness, HBO split time between both corners during the 1 min. between rounds, so maybe there was some more pointed commentary that I missed out on.

ChiJAM </font>[/QUOTE]i guess oscar got championship caliber coaching, repeating the tactics of the tito fight and repeating the results. shane's corner correctcly emphasised the sense of urgency and desperation to not leave anything to chance, causing shane to go out and dominate the later rounds.

ChiJAM
09-15-2003, 09:39 AM
i guess oscar got championship caliber coaching, repeating the tactics of the tito fight and repeating the results. shane's corner correctcly emphasised the sense of urgency and desperation to not leave anything to chance, causing shane to go out and dominate the later rounds. OK. You think Shane's corner did a better job than I do--nuff said.

ChiJAM