PDA

View Full Version : This deserves a thread of its own.

Jolyon
07-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby:
'Soulful' house fans are the new northern soulies: 45-year-old blokes with pot bellies and moustaches. Discuss. I agree.

Terry Farley is the new Richard Searling.

Monny JcIntosh
07-03-2003, 07:33 AM
I wholeheartedly agree. The recent Danny Krivit gig at Plastic People was cringefully pot-bellied. It spooked me: with the onset of old age, I'm desperately & furiously trying to cling to my youth by refusing to listen to Blaze remixes, and buying kicking, dirty electro and stuff instead. Viva mid life crises at 26!

In all seriousness, I generally ignore "house is dead" proclamations but I am buying less and less of the stuff, and pretty much nothing that would be termed "soulful".

graemlins/conf44.gif

Barrie Moodswing
07-03-2003, 07:42 AM
I gotta disagree with this one, at least from a Scottish perspective, it may be different elsewhere. Wait a minute whats that hanging over my the waistband of my jeans. graemlins/conf44.gif

mdpm99
07-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Thread on, matey!

smile.gif

d

Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life.

mr startist
07-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Jonny McIntosh:
I wholeheartedly agree. The recent Danny Krivit gig at Plastic People was cringefully pot-bellied.urgh, why did you have to remind me. This is how I see most house clubs. Full of old men who just stand around, smelling of BO and then write what a great night they had. It was impossible to dance at Plastic People that night & although the music was superb, I had a terrible time. It's a trainspotters convention, too much "industry" not enough dancers.

matthew
07-03-2003, 07:55 AM
then who is the new ian levine?

Clarkeecat
07-03-2003, 07:58 AM
dunno what yer on about, I'm 28 and have a muzzy and pot belly..... we should have the right to dance as well! clubbing doesn't necessarily have to be JUST about the new and young....
Maybes outside London we get more of a mix of people in clubs as there ain't so much 'industry' but yeh, house clubs aren't exactly places you go to find the body beautiful....

Matthew

danny webb
07-03-2003, 08:02 AM
I think the oldest audience I've partied with over the past two years was at LLV at Sankeys, average age of say 28. Many a young thing doin the dance too, maybe it's just London.

ladyboygrimsby
07-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by david mancuso:

Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life. "Youth is wasted on the young." George Bernard Shaw

Clarkeecat
07-03-2003, 08:15 AM
are soulful house fans as mardy as some of the northern lot?

Matthew

mdpm99
07-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by david mancuso:

Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life. "Youth is wasted on the young." George Bernard Shaw </font>[/QUOTE]Greetings ladyboygrimsby:

Yes, excellent quote!

smile.gif

d

Jolyon
07-03-2003, 08:19 AM
I haven't been to a soulful house night for years to be honest. Does everyone have a beard? I know I do.

mdpm99
07-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by mr startist:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jonny McIntosh:
I wholeheartedly agree. The recent Danny Krivit gig at Plastic People was cringefully pot-bellied.urgh, why did you have to remind me. This is how I see most house clubs. Full of old men who just stand around, smelling of BO and then write what a great night they had. It was impossible to dance at Plastic People that night & although the music was superb, I had a terrible time. It's a trainspotters convention, too much "industry" not enough dancers. </font>[/QUOTE]Greetings mr startist:

Could be we are just "pregnant with thought?"

smile.gif

d

The Pot Belly Band biggrinangel.gif

Clarkeecat
07-03-2003, 08:26 AM

smile.gif

d

The Pot Belly Band biggrinangel.gif [/QB][/QUOTE]

:D :D Thats amazing! that is gonna be my excuse from now on!

Matthew

The Donger
07-03-2003, 08:26 AM
The kids like the rowdy shit!

I like this when I'm feeling rowdy:

www.definitivejux.net (http://www.definitivejux.net)

Turn on your speakers, and make sure to check the audio section. El-P is a maniac, his productions make me wanna flip. Video for El-P's 9mm song in the video section is great too.

Other song I really like is "Risky Business" by MURS, so find that too, it has Shock-G/Humpty from Digital Underground guesting on it.

And Anything by Cannibal Ox is wild. They call me Starving Harlem scissortoungue.

[ July 03, 2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: The Donger ]

Jolyon
07-03-2003, 08:28 AM
That link looks a little bit too 'street' for me Donger. Not enough beards.

mr startist
07-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by david mancuso:
]Greetings mr startist:

hahahah, could be. I just wish thought was left at the bar so we could lose our minds on the dance floor.

imported_Marco
07-03-2003, 08:57 AM
A crowd of 28-30 y.o. it's not an old crowd to me.

Go to 100 club,lots of dancers are 40 or more,let alone events in the northern UK.

Goin to proper clubs in NYC though,showed me a similar situation.

I think in both of scene there are exeptions:
The Dome in London is a mainly 60's rare soul nite attended by many young mods/soul lovers and places like BTP or B&S are(or were) attended by many young people as i have seen.

Is nice to see two of the culture i'm interested
in coming toghether on the DHP!

CIAO!

mdpm99
07-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Jolyon:
That link looks a little bit too 'street' for me Donger. Not enough beards. Damn....me got me beard in my bear again.....

smile.gif

d

GrantB
07-03-2003, 10:24 AM
No beard here any more, but I am surely pregnant with beer! ... er, thought... or something...

mdpm99
07-03-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by GrantB:
No beard here any more, but I am surely pregnant with beer! ... er, thought... or something... Greetings GrantB:

Have a great weekend!

smile.gif

d

beaniboy67
07-03-2003, 01:40 PM
It must be a London thing because up here in scotland if you go out clubbing you dont see many old guys(apart from myself and im not that old).Infact i would say that most of the decent clubs in Glasgow and Edinburgh have nothing but young trendy music loving people!!Go to Audio deluxe at the Honeycomb in Edinburgh and you will see hundreds of young people having a ball.Babaza at Royal exchange square in Glasgow,Al kent's night down at Mas or the many small bars in and around the 2 cities there is hundreds of young people tuned in to soulful ,jazzy house!! :D

phonopsia
07-08-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by danny webb:
I think the oldest audience I've partied with over the past two years was at LLV at Sankeys, average age of say 28. Many a young thing doin the dance too, maybe it's just London. So this is where Danny does all his London bashing. ;) As I'm sure you would imagine, this is a pretty atypical report, at least from where I'm dancing.

Plastic People has been really unpredictable lately. Was there Wednesday for Jane Fitz' new house weekly, and the crowd was mostly young. Maybe 80 people turned up. No 'industry' element at all. Was there Sunday for SND, Lakuti and Portable, and there were only 50 people, but even with that few there was a distinct industry vibe as the ultra-fashionable types hung out by the bar, and I was the only one dancing. Even the last time I went to co-op I was elbowed by some guy enough times that I was verging on violence (very atypical for my runtish self). I really doubt it's a sign of things to come, and I'm sure it can whether any short-term trendyness that may find its way in the doors, but it would be a shame if it remained wankish like this for a while.

[ July 08, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: phonopsia ]