PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France, Lance Armstrong & U.S. Postal Service

ngeso
07-14-2003, 10:34 AM
how many of the Americans are keeping up with the tour at this very moment?

how many know that Lance Armstrong is the fifth-most-paid sports person in the US following Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Anna Kournikova? that he is a sports icon over here? that he has been dominating professional road cycling (something Americans traditionally don't do very well - at least from a chauvinistic Italian/Spanish/Basque/Belgian/Dutch perspective)for the past five years? that he's set to break all kinds of records, including winning Le Tour for an unprecedented 6th time (providing he wins on the Champs Elysees sunday week plus again next year)? risen from the dead after having been written off due to testicular cancer?

oh yeah, and Tyler Hamilton (another US-boy) is still in fifth place, going strong after breaking a collarbone a week ago?

you guys should rightfully be proud as hell. try and catch up on the third-largest televised sports event (after olympic games and World Cup Football) - it is still on for a couple of weeks.

peace. ngeso.

[ July 14, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: ngeso ]

Ish
07-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by ngeso:

how many know that Lance Armstrong is the fifth-most-paid sports person in the US following Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Anna Kournikova? that he is a sports icon over here? that he has been dominating professional road cycling (something Americans traditionally don't do very well - at least from a chauvinistic Italian/Spanish/Basque/Belgian/Dutch perspective)for the past five years? that he's set to break all kinds of records, including winning Le Tour for an unprecedented 6th time (providing he wins on the Champs Elysees sunday week plus again next year)? risen from the dead after having been written off due to testicular cancer?

oh yeah, and Tyler Hamilton (another US-boy) is still in fifth place, going strong after breaking a collarbone a week ago?

you guys should rightfully be proud as hell. try and catch up on the third-largest televised sports event (after olympic games and World Cup Football) - it is still on for a couple of weeks.

peace. ngeso. Ive been folowing

I got into road biking lasy year after reading his auto-biography. I really get into the broadcasts of this race. The strategy, the climbs, the sprints. Its dope.

I bought a cheaper 80's model Centurion last year for starters on Ebay for about 100.

WHen I have more cash I am going to start building a bike from scratch.

smile.gif

JoeB
07-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Ish:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ngeso:

peace. ngeso. Ive been folowing

I got into road biking lasy year after reading his auto-biography. I really get into the broadcasts of this race. The strategy, the climbs, the sprints. Its dope.

I bought a cheaper 80's model Centurion last year for starters on Ebay for about 100.

WHen I have more cash I am going to start building a bike from scratch.

smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]how's the book? another one that i've been meaning to get my hands on. worth checking out?

and yeah, definitely keeping an eye on this and i hope lance wins this AGAIN.

Ken1015
07-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Cycling receives virtually no play on U.S. television. I am following the tour's progress through the newspaper. Lance is going for a record tying 5th win not a record breaking 6th.

daniel
07-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Ken1015:
Cycling receives virtually no play on U.S. television. I am following the tour's progress through the newspaper. Lance is going for a record tying 5th win not a record breaking 6th. do you have OLN? they have two hours of coverage every day.

been keeping up on it a bit, i like watching the mountain stages more than the others.

and yes, tyler hamilton is pretty tough for riding with the broken bone, but do they have to mention it every two minutes?

Ken1015
07-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by daniel:
do you have OLN? they have two hours of coverage every day.

been keeping up on it a bit, i like watching the mountain stages more than the others.
Yes and no. It's available to me but it's not part of the satellite package I subscribe to.

Bande-A-Part_NYC
07-14-2003, 11:05 AM
How fast can you go on a bike?

DJ Omar Herrera
07-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Cycling receives virtually no play on U.S. television. I am following the tour's progress through the newspaper. Lance is going for a record tying 5th win not a record breaking 6th. QUIZ!!!!!!
anyone know who is the only rider to win the Tour de France 5 consecutive times?

DJ Omar Herrera
07-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Bande-A-Part_ NYC:
How fast can you go on a bike? I have heard on the flats about 30 - 35 mph
on the downhill double that.........

Ken1015
07-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by DJ Omar Herrera:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ken1015:
Cycling receives virtually no play on U.S. television. I am following the tour's progress through the newspaper. Lance is going for a record tying 5th win not a record breaking 6th. QUIZ!!!!!!
anyone know who is the only rider to win the Tour de France 5 consecutive times? </font>[/QUOTE]Miguel Indurain

Bande-A-Part_NYC
07-14-2003, 11:23 AM
How long will the be riding thier bikes for?

Also, how long does it take to train to enter this competition? Credentials?

I may be interested in competing. I can go really fast on my bike...

Monny JcIntosh
07-14-2003, 11:24 AM
If you haven't seen today's you're in for a treat. smile.gif

I don't usually follow it, but some folk at work are fanatical, and we've been listening to it online all day. It's quite addictive.

DJ Omar Herrera
07-14-2003, 11:26 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DJ Omar Herrera:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ken1015:
anyone know who is the only rider to win the Tour de France 5 consecutive times? </font>[/QUOTE]Miguel Indurain </font>[/QUOTE]graemlins/beerchug.gif

lyot
07-14-2003, 11:33 AM
How long will the be riding thier bikes for?

Also, how long does it take to train to enter this competition? Credentials?

I may be interested in competing. I can go really fast on my bike... you need to go really fast..How old are you ? Cycling is one of the toughest and most demanding sports in the world. .YOu need to train every day, for several hours, to be good.. I would advise you to buy a good book on cycling training methods..
I did three years of competition when I was younger..We did 70km in about 1 hour and a half ..But that was a long time ago..Now, i'm not getting close to that.. Last year, I did Alpe D'Huez in 1h02min. When I say them race yesterday, I could not believe my eyes..Incredible, how fast they did the first km, since it's very very steep..

Someone seen the dive Beloki made today ? Damn, that was impressive.. I hope the poor guy is okay..

greetings

daniel
07-14-2003, 11:58 AM
lyot, don't mind him or think that he is at all interested.

lyot
07-14-2003, 12:03 PM
lyot, don't mind him or think that he is at all interested. graemlins/scared.gif I read he prefers R&B over House ?!?

Bande-A-Part_NYC
07-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I am very interested in how long they ride for during this competition...

lyot
07-14-2003, 12:17 PM
I am very interested in how long they ride for during this competition... this is not a very clear question? Can you specify a bit, and I'll give you an answer..

greetings,

Doug
07-14-2003, 12:20 PM
I am very interested in how long they ride for during this competition... It depends on the race. In a typical one-day European cycling event they ride between 100 to 200 miles. Depending on the terrain, these guys are covering that distance in somewhere between about 5 to 8 hours.

The Tour de France, for which there really is no comparison other than maybe the Giro D'Italia, is three weeks of racing that distance almost every day with the exception of the days when individual and team time trials are held. It is not a sport for the weak-hearted.

[ July 14, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Doug ]

DJ Omar Herrera
07-14-2003, 12:20 PM
I am very interested in how long they ride for during this competition... almost a month

Bande-A-Part_NYC
07-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DJ Omar Herrera:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bande-A-Part_ NYC:
I am very interested in how long they ride for during this competition... almost a month </font>[/QUOTE]That's nuts!

DO they do it everyday, then stop to take breaks. Sleep? Get back up and everyone races at 6am again or something?

lyot
07-14-2003, 12:25 PM
I am very interested in how long they ride for during this competition... almost a month </font>[/QUOTE]That's nuts!

DO they do it everyday, then stop to take breaks. Sleep? Get back up and everyone races at 6am again or something? </font>[/QUOTE]everyday during two or three weeks..They have two days of rest..They drive over 3000km and have an average speed of over 40km/h...The maximum speed they attain can be 110km/h (downhill of course)..

Doug
07-14-2003, 12:26 PM

DO they do it everyday, then stop to take breaks. Sleep? Get back up and everyone races at 6am again or something? </font>[/QUOTE]I think they may have one or two days max off during the whole tour.

MC
07-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Someone help me. I was watching CNN while on my lunch break, and was that Lance that was pulled over on the side in the shade, then got back on his back to proceed with the race? Someone made a comment that he was so far ahead that he was able to pull over and rest. That doesn't sound like Lance, but I'm not sure. graemlins/conf44.gif

DJ Omar Herrera
07-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Michael J. Carmona:
Someone help me. I was watching CNN while on my lunch break, and was that Lance that was pulled over on the side in the shade, then got back on his back to proceed with the race? Someone made a comment that he was so far ahead that he was able to pull over and rest. That doesn't sound like Lance, but I'm not sure. graemlins/conf44.gif really!!!! that does not sound like him at all...
I am sure he would want to put as much time between him and the rest of the riders.... graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

MC
07-14-2003, 12:30 PM
I know...I thought so too. Maybe someone can confirm that.

daniel
07-14-2003, 12:31 PM
he pulled over to enjoy some cheese and a croissant.

JoeB
07-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Michael J. Carmona:
Someone help me. I was watching CNN while on my lunch break, and was that Lance that was pulled over on the side in the shade, then got back on his back to proceed with the race? Someone made a comment that he was so far ahead that he was able to pull over and rest. That doesn't sound like Lance, but I'm not sure. graemlins/conf44.gif didn't he "pull over" because he almost wrecked? i seriously doubt that lance would do that.

lyot
07-14-2003, 12:45 PM
he was forced to manoever himself off the road..He missed a turn because someone in front of him fell (rather badly, in fact.. He broke several bones). Lance, who was going at great speed, missed the turn and went straight ahead, through a field . As a matter of fact, he cut the turn compelty and took a kind of shortcut through the field ..Very spectacular, and most certainly unintentional. I think he was very glad that turned out well..

greetings,

DJ Omar Herrera
07-14-2003, 12:47 PM
he pulled over to enjoy some cheese and a croissant. LOL..... imagine. I know in the early years of the Tour, the riders actually did stop to drink wine and stuff. I even saw a pic of them smoking while on the bikes during the race......

graemlins/grinyes.gif

DJ Omar Herrera
07-14-2003, 12:55 PM
for more info go here http://www.letour.fr/2003/us/index.html

the rider that went down was Joseba Beloki (ESP)

ngeso
07-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Cycling receives virtually no play on U.S. television. I am following the tour's progress through the newspaper. Lance is going for a record tying 5th win not a record breaking 6th. please read my post again. it says 'six' if he wins this year as well as next.

ngeso
07-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Beloki (captain of the Spanish Once team) fell dramatically a few kilometres before the finish line and broke his right femur, right elbow and right wrist. Armstrong was right behind him and very narrowly managed crashing into Beloki himself, swerving off into an adjacent field and kinda shortcutting the returning hairpin curve in the process (i don't think they'll penalize him though, because he did not gain an advantage). i feel really sorry for him (Beloki) because he has been Armstrong's main oponent during the last three years, having made the podium three years in a row, and had never tested Armstrong as much as he has so far during this tour. i hope he comes back the same rider next year.

daniel
07-14-2003, 02:07 PM
broke his right femur, right elbow and right wrist. all the good ones!

MarkK
07-14-2003, 02:15 PM
US coverage of the Tour sucks! OLN is the only channel to carry it but they are not in many cable systems. Comcast has a 30 minute wrap-up show on in DC last year but not this year.

I am reduced to listening to the OLN audio on my PC.

Ish
07-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Beloki (captain of the Spanish Once team) fell dramatically a few kilometres before the finish line and broke his right femur, right elbow and right wrist. Armstrong was right behind him and very narrowly managed crashing into Beloki himself, swerving off into an adjacent field and kinda shortcutting the returning hairpin curve in the process (i don't think they'll penalize him though, because he did not gain an advantage). i feel really sorry for him (Beloki) because he has been Armstrong's main oponent during the last three years, having made the podium three years in a row, and had never tested Armstrong as much as he has so far during this tour. i hope he comes back the same rider next year. That really is sad. Its time for other riders to step up to the plate and such severe injuries obviously ruin that chance.