PDA

View Full Version : Levels when DJing

unifyingvibes
07-08-2010, 07:01 PM
When playing I like to try to make sure the audience has a pleasant acoustic experience. Go on the floor to see what it sounds like not just pump the sound as loud as I can. Back in the day when I started DJing I always tried to keep my faders around 7, leaving myself room for the different sound levels of different pressings (12"s, albums, tapes). I've seen some who max out the mixer to 0 even when there's no trim knob.

Nowadays I use a digital interface (serato). In light of the gain staging and loudness posts, any advice on setting levels when playing live?

thx

dennis f
07-08-2010, 08:16 PM
LMFAO

I'm guilty as all hell (well i was when I had a few drinks!) of wanting more volume and cranking up into the red and not paying attention once in a while. I'm sure it happens to all once in a blue moon. Red LED's are there for a reason..lol DANGER DANGER DANGER. Keep em out of the red and your good. Though 1 red bar on a DJM is bordering on ok and considered safe.

df

Nege
07-08-2010, 09:45 PM
LMFAO

I'm guilty as all hell (well i was when I had a few drinks!) of wanting more volume and cranking up into the red and not paying attention once in a while. I'm sure it happens to all once in a blue moon. Red LED's are there for a reason..lol DANGER DANGER DANGER. Keep em out of the red and your good. Though 1 red bar on a DJM is bordering on ok and considered safe.

df
i think we are all gulity..its very easy to turn it up during the night.....just rememeber that the booth doesn;t usually sound like the setup on the floor...and you'll be fine as long as you keep it out of the red.....