PDA

View Full Version : Arnold Jarvis "Life Goes On" MAW Records

GROOVE VICTIM
10-08-2003, 08:34 AM
I tried to choose something that we haven't heard in a minute but this song has been running through my head all morning.

This rekkid is BAAADD!!!!!

Discuss

eric justin
10-08-2003, 08:44 AM
That was sort of my signature track when it came out a few years back. I got the original and the accapella 7". I would cut to the accapella for a minute then go back to the original towards the end when it gets real hype. People would go crazy.
I also remember hearing that track the first time I went to Body And Soul, I almost lost it :D

Fletch
10-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Gene Perez's absolute baddest bassline!!!!!!!

GROOVE VICTIM
10-08-2003, 08:48 AM
It has a really muddy bassline, that's the first thing that attracted me to the song. Kida reminds me of "Eyes of Love" by Brother of Soul on Guidance Records.

The dub on the flipside is straight up Riding material!!

Peace

s parris
10-08-2003, 08:49 AM
A very special record smile.gif that bassline is something else and Arnold's beautiful vocal just sets it off.

GROOVE VICTIM
10-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Fletch:
Gene Perez's absolute baddest bassline!!!!!!! naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, his Black Magic Basslines are the best IMO.

:D

Mack-Williams
10-08-2003, 08:50 AM
This brought back memories of the Sidecar days here in Chicago. Killa bassline and lyrics were real. I am going to go listen to this now.

liL Ray
10-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by GROOVE VICTIM:

Discuss LATE... graemlins/bolt.gif

Jamie 3:26
10-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Mack-Williams:
This brought back memories of the Sidecar days here in Chicago. Killa bassline and lyrics were real. I am going to go listen to this now. Exactly.That was a Sidecar anthem.I also used to drop this at the Concrete Jungle.

erd
10-08-2003, 08:53 AM
I like the record.

Peace.

Gerd

Quite a lot to be honest.

VEESTER
10-08-2003, 08:55 AM
I tried to choose something that we haven't heard in a minute but this song has been running through my head all morning.

Discuss Groove, that's wild cause I was thinking about this song just yesterday! I remember hearing it at Sidecar once when I was going through something and it lifted my spirits. The lyrics, the vocals, the production, wonderful!

Fletch
10-08-2003, 08:56 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fletch:
Gene Perez's absolute baddest bassline!!!!!!! naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, his Black Magic Basslines are the best IMO.

:D </font>[/QUOTE]You know what? I was thinking of "Make It Funky (Freedom") and "Souffle H" (Mondo Grosso?). I was in Nell's when I first heard the songs, and thought it was Bernard Edwards. His early sound was patterned after Bernard big time. But later, Gene developed his own, especially with "Life Goes On".

GROOVE VICTIM
10-08-2003, 08:58 AM
If you listen to the original versio of Black Magic's "Let it go" you will notice how the bassline sticks out more so than his other basslines. His basslines DRIVE the records he plays on, something missing in alot of music today.

Another one of my favorite basslines, Nu Yorican Soul "Makes your Nature Rise". SICK!!!!

Peace

JMJ
10-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Lovely record......JMJ graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Prince HiFi
10-08-2003, 10:03 AM
GREAT bassline but I wish they had released a more uptempo Gene Perez-led dub as there are times I'd like to ditch the vocal as IMO it's a bit of a downer lyrically. Nice idea on cutting with the accapella. This would be a prime candidate for an 'Unreleased Project' mix.

One story has it Louie tried to have this record come out on Strictly Rhythm because he thought it was good enough to benefit from Strictly's wider commercial reach, however SR took a pass and I think the label with the red bricks made the right decision in this case.

Prince HiFi

jpsf
10-08-2003, 11:05 AM
used to play it alot. one of my faves. waitin' for the right moment to bring it out again.

DJ Michael Terzian (Sinister)
10-08-2003, 06:51 PM
I still rock that joint. Work the 12" and the 7" back and forth (super extended stylee).

My anthem...

Brian
10-08-2003, 07:10 PM
i never liked that song at all .. just never did it for me

DJ Michael Terzian (Sinister)
10-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Brian:
i never liked that song at all .. just never did it for me What?

graemlins/conf44.gif

Brian
10-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by DJ Michael Terzian, a.k.a. Sinister:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brian:
i never liked that song at all .. just never did it for me What?

graemlins/conf44.gif </font>[/QUOTE]that's how i feel when i see everyone raving about it

no big deal

(Im)poster
10-08-2003, 07:32 PM

Indeed it is. Arnold Jarvis was standing right in front of me at an event recently and I didn't even know who he was. DRAT! I love most of his music. Looks good, too. Not at all what I would have expected.

AK
10-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Mack-Williams:
This brought back memories of the Sidecar days here in Chicago. Killa bassline and lyrics were real. I am going to go listen to this now. Definitely brings back Sidecar memories! One of the best songs in recent years.

AK
10-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by JAMIE 3:26:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mack-Williams:
This brought back memories of the Sidecar days here in Chicago. Killa bassline and lyrics were real. I am going to go listen to this now. Exactly. That was a Sidecar anthem. </font>[/QUOTE]Along with Her Song, thanks to 'Dre.