PDA

View Full Version : Norton AntiVirus sucks. Here's why..

C hristian
11-11-2003, 02:14 AM
Using NetZero for an ISP. Recently, my platinum account on Netzero was blocked. When ever I got online, I got dropped within 2 seconds. Realized Norton AntiVirus as part of my Norton Systemworks (2002) , was the problem. It has a history of interfering with NetZero and other software.

So what to do?

I used my free NetZero account (only 10 hours a month but still working, thank god.) to get online. I then Googled for "AVG AntiVirus". Installed my free Antivirus software (for home users) (as I heard from a reliable source that this antivirus software will do the trick, nicely!) and ran an immediate scan.

What do I find but 4 or 5 files on my computer with viruses that Norton never detected!

That's right, Norton failed to protect me , and this free software did!

I've gotten rid of Norton AntiVirus. Now, I'm virus free and able to get online with NetZero once again.

V\Check out this antivirus software...AVG

AD
11-11-2003, 02:20 AM
Somehow I doubt it is Norton that is the problem. haha @ n00bs

Mark Andrus
11-11-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Albert Diaz:
Somehow I doubt it is Norton that is the problem. haha @ n00bs What exactly is this supposed to mean?

I've heard comments from some pretty well-informed people that the Norton products are not what they once were, particularly the disk utilities (which used to be considered top-of-the-line indespensible tools for both Macs and PC's).

C hristian
11-11-2003, 02:48 AM
heard the same myself. especially since Symantec owns the "Norton" name, and Dr. Norton himself is no longer involved with the products. Just cashing in on name recognition..

Ben.
11-11-2003, 04:06 AM
were your norton virus definitions up to date?

AD
11-11-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Mark Andrus:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Albert Diaz:
Somehow I doubt it is Norton that is the problem. haha @ n00bs What exactly is this supposed to mean?

I've heard comments from some pretty well-informed people that the Norton products are not what they once were, particularly the disk utilities (which used to be considered top-of-the-line indespensible tools for both Macs and PC's). </font>[/QUOTE]It means that the user is usually the cause of most computer related problems. You should never rely on one source to solve your problems or take care of your needs.

haha @ Macs

C hristian
11-11-2003, 07:28 AM
puleaaaaze Albert! I am not going to defend my computer habits. Trust me when I say Norton - yes my virus defonitions were up to date - did not detect something on my computer, and the free stuff did. Fact. End of story.

And, Norton interfered with my ability to get online. Talking with both companies, they both agreed that that was a software issue.

darrow
11-11-2003, 07:39 AM
interesting post , only because yesterday I spent a half day at work fixing someone home laptop computer. She had brought it to the office with the hopes that I would fix it. She clearly had a virus - she could not get online and the computer would turn off/reboot on it's own constantly. Plus, certain windows and applications would not stay open - like Norton's Anti-Virus.

Anyways, the virus was actually the cause of her inability to get online, not Norton. The virus affected internet communications and also was designed to wreak havoc on certain apps and not allow them to run completely, like Norton. How did she get infected though if she had Norton?

1. She had let her subscription to Norton run out
2. She did not regularly run the Microsoft critical updates that are typically fixes to patch security holes.
3. She had an always-on connection to the internet while being totally exposed (see 2 and 3)

In my mood of positivity yesterday, I didn't strangle her but if I were at work today?

:D

And Christian, I'm not saying you did any of the above. I'm just slightly venting and also reminding any readers of this post of the importance of 1, 2, and 3 above.

imported_Gman
11-11-2003, 07:44 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mark Andrus:

I've heard comments from some pretty well-informed people that the Norton products are not what they once were, particularly the disk utilities (which used to be considered top-of-the-line indespensible tools for both Macs and PC's). </font>[/QUOTE]It means that the user is usually the cause of most computer related problems. You should never rely on one source to solve your problems or take care of your needs.

haha @ Macs </font>[/QUOTE]Albert on the other hand how many times have you pounded your head against a problem over the years and in the end discovered it was not you but buggy software or a badly written driver ? smile.gif

C hristian
11-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks Darrow. I've had this problem for a few months now. Just found the new antivirus software recently to feel confident to do something about it, as I knew Norton was part of the problem. Maybe not the whole problem.But that could very well be. IT could very well have been more the virus than Norton.

But it still remains that an up-to-date Norton didn't ever pick it up for the few months I had it, and the free "AVI SOFTWARE" did.

Not that I'm pushing alternatives to Norton, mind you - and free ones at that!

MarkK
11-11-2003, 10:05 AM
thank you Christian. I was about to plunk down $50 for Norton. Even if I bought the AGV pro, its only $33

Martin Red
11-11-2003, 10:14 AM
I have removed Norton from my PC using un-install, on XP.

It seems to leave lots of huge files that cannot be deleted, without reloading XP, any ideas how I can get rid of these huge files

Bold Soul
11-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Gman:

haha @ Macs </font>[/QUOTE]Albert on the other hand how many times have you pounded your head against a problem over the years and in the end discovered it was not you but buggy software or a badly written driver ? smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]YEP! Hated, HATED this one!

Macs are rock solid CENTRIST architecture with the most comprehensive and powerful front end for Unix ever made, I might add. I kept one running for a week rendering an effects sequence - no worries.

I could go on...but then I'm not qualified to, as I haven't had a crash or a virus in, say, THREE YEARS! Bwahahahaha!

C hristian
11-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Martin Red:
I have removed Norton from my PC using un-install, on XP.

It seems to leave lots of huge files that cannot be deleted, without reloading XP, any ideas how I can get rid of these huge files Don't have XP, so I don't know. But ironically enough Norton Systemworks Pro 2002 had a feature where you could uninstall apps and all its associated files, like you say. Don't know how well it worked or if you could get it. But really, it's like playing in quicksand sometimes.

Maybe do a search and manually remove all obviously associated files?

C hristian
11-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Mark K - My BDay present to you!

GrantB
11-11-2003, 02:58 PM

haha @ Macs </font>[/QUOTE]Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

mhd
11-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Danny Gardner:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gman:

haha @ Macs </font>[/QUOTE]Albert on the other hand how many times have you pounded your head against a problem over the years and in the end discovered it was not you but buggy software or a badly written driver ? smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]YEP! Hated, HATED this one!

Macs are rock solid CENTRIST architecture with the most comprehensive and powerful front end for Unix ever made, I might add. I kept one running for a week rendering an effects sequence - no worries.

I could go on...but then I'm not qualified to, as I haven't had a crash or a virus in, say, THREE YEARS! Bwahahahaha! </font>[/QUOTE]man, i'm so close to going all mac! this shit is ridiculous

Bold Soul
11-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by mhd:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Danny Gardner:

I could go on...but then I'm not qualified to, as I haven't had a crash or a virus in, say, THREE YEARS! Bwahahahaha! </font>[/QUOTE]man, i'm so close to going all mac! this shit is ridiculous </font>[/QUOTE]Now's a good time, especially if you want a notebook. The iBook series has been upgraded to a 1ghz PowerMac G4 processor - equivalent to a P4 in most cases. They can be had with a 14" display (nice!) for under $1,200.00.

Office runs on the Mac, as well as other popular productivity software, etc. I would look into it. There are no more compatibility issues between macs and WinTel either - networking, file sharing, file compat. - it's a good thing.

mhd
11-11-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Danny Gardner:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mhd:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Danny Gardner:

I could go on...but then I'm not qualified to, as I haven't had a crash or a virus in, say, THREE YEARS! Bwahahahaha! </font>[/QUOTE]man, i'm so close to going all mac! this shit is ridiculous </font>[/QUOTE]Now's a good time, especially if you want a notebook. The iBook series has been upgraded to a 1ghz PowerMac G4 processor - equivalent to a P4 in most cases. They can be had with a 14" display (nice!) for under $1,200.00.

Office runs on the Mac, as well as other popular productivity software, etc. I would look into it. There are no more compatibility issues between macs and WinTel either - networking, file sharing, file compat. - it's a good thing. </font>[/QUOTE]good looking out, i will defo check that out