PDA

View Full Version : Vocals On Vocals

assholes delight
09-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Been thinking about this alot lately and despite all those who affront it I think when it works it's a testament to skill. I've heard Merlin Bobb use it to good effect on a few mixes here.

Just wanna see what some of your thoughts are on this.

D J 1 3 8
09-17-2003, 09:12 AM
I feel it works only if the vocals sort of wrap around each other / play off each other. If you can find two songs where the vocals are offset at different times in a 4 measure loop, they can do amazing things. Almost like a call and response type thing. Timmy is pretty damn good at this.

'Magic' Juan
09-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by DJ 138:
I feel it works only if the vocals sort of wrap around each other / play off each other. If you can find two songs where the vocals are offset at different times in a 4 measure loop, they can do amazing things. Almost like a call and response type thing. Timmy is pretty damn good at this. Exactly!

magic_juan

GROOVE VICTIM
09-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Very few of us including myself still do this. It's a lost are and it's a shame that many DJs simply don't ride records anymore. YOu can't do it all the time but it works well when to songs either are in the same key, have the same rhythm patterns or have something in common when it comes to the lyrics.

Peace

assholes delight
09-17-2003, 09:35 AM
What if the vocals overlap with one playin a chorus/lead, and the other playin melody?

And wasn't it a Chicago thing to not mix the two,
or was that just a myth? I want to get to the bottom on this unwritten law!

blackwax
09-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Magic Juan:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DJ 138:
I feel it works only if the vocals sort of wrap around each other / play off each other. If you can find two songs where the vocals are offset at different times in a 4 measure loop, they can do amazing things. Almost like a call and response type thing. Timmy is pretty damn good at this. Exactly!

magic_juan </font>[/QUOTE]here here I love it when dj's do that
its a tough one to get the right 2 records though

GROOVE VICTIM
09-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by homewrecker:
What if the vocals overlap with one playin a chorus/lead, and the other playin melody?

And wasn't it a Chicago thing to not mix the two,
or was that just a myth? I want to get to the bottom on this unwritten law! Most of your east coast DJs did this kind of mixing. Merlin Bobb, Timmy Regisford, Tony Humphries, the late John Robinson, Darryl James, and a few others did this when they had radio shows. Timmy Regisford and Kim Lightfoot are the only two DJ's I've heard still do this in a live setting.

Nowadays everyone sounds the same. Playing one record after the other, not taking chances, it can really bore the heck out of you.

If you program your records to suit a crowd, then ou can probably get away with alot of "clashing vocals" just as long as the crowd is familiar with the tunes. It works great with classics.

Peace

[ September 17, 2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: GROOVE VICTIM ]