PDA

View Full Version : Online college degree?

DJ BARRY B
04-29-2004, 09:36 AM
I keep getting this pop up about getting your college degree online? Not that i am interested but are they very credible when looking for a job in the corporate or blue collar job market?

[ April 29, 2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: DJ BARRY B ]

Sweetiwluv
04-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Good morning there are two Phoenix which someone just told me they were good just had a graduation in Philadelphia or you can try Thomas Edison College in Trenton they have a good on line courses I have been thinking on going there for my masters on line.

DaveR
04-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by DJ BARRY B:
I keep getting this pop up about getting your college degree online? Not that i am interested but are they very credible when looking for a job in the corporate or blue collar job market? DJ Barry B,

Here is a ton of good info on eLeaning - USNews.com - Education: ELearning (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/elearning/elhome.htm)

Mr. Incredible
04-29-2004, 11:57 AM
If you "really" think about it, who would YOU hire, someone with an online degree or someone with a traditional degree. Online seems like a "back of the match cover" type of certifiate - wouldn't want a Dr. operating on you with those credentials would ya! graemlins/nono.gif

DaveR
04-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Irv:
If you "really" think about it, who would YOU hire, someone with an online degree or someone with a traditional degree. Online seems like a "back of the match cover" type of certifiate - wouldn't want a Dr. operating on you with those credentials would ya! graemlins/nono.gif Likely true, but any form on continuing education is positive in my opinion ... Many sectors offer certifications (and such) online, that are well respected in industries these days ...

Absent of a person having the time/money to attend school full-time (or part-time), a respected online program is a great option ...

Additionally, if you package yourself well in an interview, by citing your unique situation, how you arrived at your decision & why online education was one of your few options, and express how it enhanced your skill-set, you may just stand out from the crowd ... Employers love great stories with substance, in a competitive market ...

DR

DeesKo
04-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Actually, many of the real deal universities and colleges that offer online course/degree programs provide you the exact same courses, same requirements, & the same diploma as a traditional classroom environment, the only difference is you mail/email your answers instead of passing them to the center of the row.... (so to speak)...

for tests they require you to have a "proctor" who administers the test just like a professor would, and it can actually be quite controlled while not requiring your physical attendance on campus.

Some employers, depending on their job requirements and philosophy may actually look at a degree earned online (or even in part online) as a benefit because it shows you have the discipline to work on your own without someone breathing down your neck "forcing" you to do it.

... the only real difference is that you aren't rquired to spend 3 hours a day sitting in a classroom and for many adults, this could be a good option. It can be quite expensive, but so can going through life without at least trying.

IMHO, while it would be optimal for someone to go physically take classes, if this isn't an option, whats the better choice....

never take classes/never get ANY degree or at least try to get one online ?

Peace

Rob

DJ BARRY B
04-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks for your opinions folks.It's just that would corporate (amreica) accept a person with an on line college degree?

[ April 29, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: DJ BARRY B ]

DaveR
04-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by DeesKo:
Actually, many of the real deal universities and colleges that offer online course/degree programs provide you the exact same courses, same requirements, & the same diploma as a traditional classroom environment, the only difference is you mail/email your answers instead of passing them to the center of the row.... (so to speak)...

... the only real difference is that you aren't rquired to spend 3 hours a day sitting in a classroom and for many adults, this could be a good option. It can be quite expensive, but so can going through life without at least trying.
There's another (huge) thing that you don't get through online classes - interaction with students (knowledge sharing, etc.) ...

[ April 29, 2004, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: DaveR ]

Mr. Incredible
04-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by DaveR:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Irv:
If you "really" think about it, who would YOU hire, someone with an online degree or someone with a traditional degree. Online seems like a "back of the match cover" type of certifiate - wouldn't want a Dr. operating on you with those credentials would ya! graemlins/nono.gif Likely true, but any form on continuing education is positive in my opinion ... Many sectors offer certifications (and such) online, that are well respected in industries these days ...

Wow.. you're hired!

Absent of a person having the time/money to attend school full-time (or part-time), a respected online program is a great option ...

Additionally, if you package yourself well in an interview, by citing your unique situation, how you arrived at your decision & why online education was one of your few options, and express how it enhanced your skill-set, you may just stand out from the crowd ... Employers love great stories with substance, in a competitive market ...

DR </font>[/QUOTE]:D

DaveR
04-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Irv:
:D What did I miss Irv - you inserted a "Wow ... you're hired" ? graemlins/stupid.gif graemlins/conf44.gif