PDA

View Full Version : anyone checked out Jeff Mills on Saturday?

El Mayimbe
05-10-2004, 10:12 AM
heard he did a great set and played "The Bells"
graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bitonti
05-10-2004, 10:19 AM
i was at the avalon - anytime Jeff is in this area of the nation its a must-see event

the wizard still has it - pound for pound one of the best DJ's in the world

Keith Blackstone
05-10-2004, 11:58 AM
I ventured out to expand my musical horizons, so to speak... and DAMN!

Jeff Mills is un-fucking-believable! I had never heard him live before but that man tore the roof off Avalon. I was in a position where I could dance and watch him work at the same time. He must have changed records every 2-3 minutes, riding them constantly, and using 3 decks on the regular. RELENTLESS ATTACK of energy... I've never seen somebody work that hard in the booth before, hell it looked like he was on a track getting his workout on.

I ended up meeting him Sunday @ the new Halcyon opening, and I was again impressed. He is so humble and nice to talk to. Completely friendly and willing to talk shop with us one-on-one about technique, record selections when he's traveling (the man carries a small bag barely larger then a briefcase... couldn't have been more then 50 records, yet he can play for hours on them since he plays both sides of the record during his gig), and other stuff along those lines.

I know many people here don't care for harder sounds, but I highly recommend making the effort to check him out even if you can only appreciate the DJ technique perspective... there is something to be learned from this man. It can be one of those life changing experiences, at least it was for me.

Peace.

travy
05-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by EL MAYIMBE:
heard he did a great set and played "The Bells"
graemlins/thumbsup.gif tough call for me on saturday night. i ended up going to holger czukay at the knitting factory instead. super cool stuff.

Querck
05-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Keith Blackstone:
I ventured out to expand my musical horizons, so to speak... and DAMN!

Jeff Mills is un-fucking-believable! I had never heard him live before but that man tore the roof off Avalon. I was in a position where I could dance and watch him work at the same time. He must have changed records every 2-3 minutes, riding them constantly, and using 3 decks on the regular. RELENTLESS ATTACK of energy... I've never seen somebody work that hard in the booth before, hell it looked like he was on a track getting his workout on.

I ended up meeting him Sunday @ the new Halcyon opening, and I was again impressed. He is so humble and nice to talk to. Completely friendly and willing to talk shop with us one-on-one about technique, record selections when he's traveling (the man carries a small bag barely larger then a briefcase... couldn't have been more then 50 records, yet he can play for hours on them since he plays both sides of the record during his gig), and other stuff along those lines.

I know many people here don't care for harder sounds, but I highly recommend making the effort to check him out even if you can only appreciate the DJ technique perspective... there is something to be learned from this man. It can be one of those life changing experiences, at least it was for me.

Peace. Hey Keith, now you understand why I was so excited about hearing the Wizard at WMC--even if I had to skip out on the hottest party of the conference (the Future party).

Everybody who calls themselves a dj should check out Jeff Mills and then re-evaluate their status.

Keith Blackstone
05-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by dannyboy:
Everybody who calls themselves a dj should check out Jeff Mills and then re-evaluate their status. That's putting it lightly... I tell you man... between the gig and the convo with him... life changing!

lesysteme
05-10-2004, 12:29 PM
yeah the wizard mix that was in the DHP mix section was outrageously good.

unfort its been taken down but man, it smoked

Bande-A-Part_NYC
05-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Jeff Mills is sick!

djyoavb
05-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by lesysteme:
yeah the wizard mix that was in the DHP mix section was outrageously good.

unfort its been taken down but man, it smoked on his radio shows he used to record a proper 2 TT dj mix and then mix on top of it live on air, with another 2 TT set.

msom
05-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Jeff Mills plays some of the most exhilirating and life affirming dance music. Even plays house better then 99% of the house DJ's. Also Laurent Garnier is an excellent DJ for techno.