PDA

View Full Version : Armed Struggle

Insert pseudonym here
06-24-2004, 06:10 AM
There is nothing more difficult than armed struggle.

In armed struggle, the difficulty is turning the circuitous into the direct, and turning adversity into advantage.

Therefore, if you make the enemy's route circuitous and bait him with advantages, though you start out behind him, you will arrive before him.

-Sun Tzu
The Art of War

DJ76
06-24-2004, 06:21 AM
Just curious here, what is the incentive in reading a book titled "The Art of War". I personally have been tempted because I'm working on war crimes and I thought it could help me understand certain things (although war itself and the perpetration of a war crime are two seperate things).

But for the everyday folks who don't necessarly need to know much about war, let alone that could even be against war... what is the interest and why are people talking about this book so much.

Peace
Alex

Steven Stewart
06-24-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by DJ76:
Just curious here, what is the incentive in reading a book titled "The Art of War". I personally have been tempted because I'm working on war crimes and I thought it could help me understand certain things (although war itself and the perpetration of a war crime are two seperate things).

But for the everyday folks who don't necessarly need to know much about war, let alone that could even be against war... what is the interest and why are people talking about this book so much.

Peace
Alex Life is war......

DJ76
06-24-2004, 06:35 AM
"Love Is War For Miles..."

Dunno if I believe in that though... life shouldn't be seen under such a light, at least that's not how I apply it to my life.

Steven Stewart
06-24-2004, 06:40 AM
Main Entry: 1war
Pronunciation: 'wor
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English werre, from Old North French, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German werra strife; akin to Old High German werran to confuse
1 a (1) : a state of usually open and declared armed hostile conflict between states or nations (2) : a period of such armed conflict (3) : STATE OF WAR b : the art or science of warfare c (1) obsolete : weapons and equipment for war (2) archaic : soldiers armed and equipped for war
2 a : a state of hostility, conflict, or antagonism b : a struggle or competition between opposing forces or for a particular end <a class war> <a war against disease> c : VARIANCE, ODDS 3
- war·less /-l&s/ adjective

Definition #2

Insert pseudonym here
06-24-2004, 06:54 AM
The strategy provided in “The Art of War” can be applied in life, business and politics. Rumour has it: “The Art of War” is supposedly mandatory reading for all CEO(s), entrepreneurs, presidential applicants and military heads in America.

The reason why I have read the “The Art of War” is because:

a.)I was at war with the world around me at the time the book was introduced to me. Being of a slightly aggressive and competitive nature, I took the metaphysical struggle seriously and I used “The Art of War” to win the battle.

If you read it once, you read about war. If you read it twice, you read and apply the tenets to yourself. Read it a third time and you learn strategy for dealing with the world, when it seems adversarial in nature. I refer to the text on a weekly basis; it helped me keep a level head when I worked in corporate America. It also helps me keep a very level head, now.

Also, knowledge is power. I believe the successful strategy and knowledge in the text, gives me additional mental discipline and power.

Peace,
efab!

ChiJAM
06-24-2004, 08:19 AM
"Good warriors cause others to come to them, and do not go to others."

"The Art of War", Sun Tzu

DJ76, "The Art of War" contains passages like the one above and, as efab mentioned, some people attempt to find meaning in the passages and apply such to their careers, personal lives, etc.

ChiJAM

Friday
06-24-2004, 08:35 AM
The Way of a Warrior is based on humanity, love, and sincerity; the heart of martial valor is true bravery, wisdom, love, and friendship. Emphasis on the physical aspects of warriorship is futile, for the power of the body is always limited.

The Art of Peace - Morihei Ueshiba

[ June 24, 2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Ms. Friday ]

Bill Blake
06-24-2004, 08:39 AM

Peace
Alex The book is not really like what you think it is.

Its a book on Strategy and how to win through strategy.

The fundemental point of the book is...

'To win without fighting is best'

When you win that way, it means you have perfect strategy.

ChiJAM
06-24-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Ms. Friday:
The Way of a Warrior is based on humanity, love, and sincerity; the heart of martial valor is true bravery, wisdom, love, and friendship. Emphasis on the physical aspects of warriorship is futile, for the power of the body is always limited.

The Art of Peace - Morihei Ueshiba Do you have an aikido background?

ChiJAM

DJ76
06-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Interesting comments.

Mine was sparked by a recent meeting I've had with someone that was presented to me as some sort of spiritual teacher. His teachings are very vast and one of them is about how to control yourself you emotions (that, according to him can be weaknesses, like fear, getting mad about things or at people, etc.) and to lead a life absent of violence... then I realized that "absence of violence" also meant eating no meat (cause you have to kill the animal in order to eat it...) which was a no-no for me smile.gif

DJ76
06-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Bill Blake:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DJ76:

Peace
Alex The book is not really like what you think it is.

Its a book on Strategy and how to win through strategy.

The fundemental point of the book is...

'To win without fighting is best'

When you win that way, it means you have perfect strategy. </font>[/QUOTE]Win without fighting... I need to read this book. Does it also apply to verbal fights? ;) Just had a terrible one with a representative of the Registry where I work graemlins/rofl.gif

Hk
06-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Thats a nice quote Ms. Friday.....

(I am staying out of certain threads today for the sake of being banned!.....but the gusano, the morica I have in mind can......well, he can enjoy his time on the earth while he still has opportunity......)

Alanda Marquette from DiscoLadyLand
06-24-2004, 10:08 AM
I must get a copy of this book, I've read some of the excepts from it and good for combatting the world around you that don't see everything through a bible ;)

Friday
06-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ChiJAM:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ms. Friday:

ChiJAM </font>[/QUOTE]Actually no, but I would like to learn one day...I have posted about martial arts before so one day...for now I stick with the philosophies. smile.gif

I have carried the pocket size version of The Art of Peace for years, that and Meditations by Krishnamurti (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570624313/macinsearch08-20/701-6365936-3824352)

Insert pseudonym here
06-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Another good text to read for "grounding your mind" is the book of Ecclesiastes in the bible.

My favorite text from Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. 11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? 12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

I find it to be a very good symbol of friendship and/or love.

ChiJAM
06-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Ms. Friday:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ChiJAM:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ms. Friday:

ChiJAM </font>[/QUOTE]Actually no, but I would like to learn one day...I have posted about martial arts before so one day...for now I stick with the philosophies. smile.gif

I have carried the pocket size version of The Art of Peace for years, that and Meditations by Krishnamurti (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1570624313/macinsearch08-20/701-6365936-3824352) </font>[/QUOTE]Cool. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ChiJAM

Alanda Marquette from DiscoLadyLand
06-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Insert pseudonym here:
Another good text to read for "grounding your mind" is the book of Ecclesiastes in the bible.

My favorite text from Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

9 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. 11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? 12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

I find it to be a very good symbol of friendship and/or love. Thanks, I was just thinking how to explain to my 2 older daughters why not to work against each other and quit fighting-bickering. This is so on time graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MarkK
06-24-2004, 10:40 AM
This is a major tenent of Bhuddism. Any association with violence in your life has an impact on your Karma. Some monks make efforts to not even step on bugs...

Interesting comments.

Mine was sparked by a recent meeting I've had with someone that was presented to me as some sort of spiritual teacher. His teachings are very vast and one of them is about how to control yourself you emotions (that, according to him can be weaknesses, like fear, getting mad about things or at people, etc.) and to lead a life absent of violence... then I realized that "absence of violence" also meant eating no meat (cause you have to kill the animal in order to eat it...) which was a no-no for me smile.gif

upliftdisco365
06-24-2004, 10:50 AM

In armed struggle, the difficulty is turning the circuitous into the direct, and turning adversity into advantage.

Therefore, if you make the enemy's route circuitous and bait him with advantages, though you start out behind him, you will arrive before him.

-Sun Tzu
The Art of War Excellent book.

I'd heard about it for several years then I broke down and ordered it on the web after watching that film, "Ghost Dog" I think it's called; with Forest Whitaker. I also got "Rashomon" and "Hagakure" with were great reads, too.

"The Art of War" can be applied to Many phases of life; business, love, negotiation, even parenting. It's been re-written and re-fitted for business/sales training and a number of other fields which require discreet tactics for successful outcomes. Tony Soprano has even made refernce to it on a few occasions.

DJ76
06-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by MarkK:
This is a major tenent of Bhuddism. Any association with violence in your life has an impact on your Karma. Some monks make efforts to not even step on bugs...

Interesting comments.

Mine was sparked by a recent meeting I've had with someone that was presented to me as some sort of spiritual teacher. His teachings are very vast and one of them is about how to control yourself you emotions (that, according to him can be weaknesses, like fear, getting mad about things or at people, etc.) and to lead a life absent of violence... then I realized that "absence of violence" also meant eating no meat (cause you have to kill the animal in order to eat it...) which was a no-no for me smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]On point. The man did mention to me that he took bits from Buddhist teachings. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Martin Red
06-28-2004, 08:12 AM
Just curious here, what is the incentive in reading a book titled "The Art of War"Is "Insert"/"Efab" promoting the book or the excert from the book.

Seems a very odd passage to post on DHP without a specified reason ?

Landmark Forum , now this , is somebody training to be a meglomaniac ?

graemlins/stupid.gif

Looks like someone needs guidance, or perhaps they just need some professional help or a spiritual leader.

graemlins/conf44.gif

Insert pseudonym here
06-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Martin Red:
...Is "Insert"/"Efab" promoting the book ...

Looks like someone needs guidance, or perhaps they just need some professional help or a spiritual leader.

graemlins/conf44.gif No, I'm not promoting the book.

On several occassions, I've posted text from the book. Often times, there are people that need to hear an insightful word or words that inspire them. They could be going through a rough time. {Not everyone wants to wallow in misery and anger.}

I posted the text merely because I wanted to share. I found the text helpful and thought ... maybe it may help someone else.

You're obviously trying to find fault with this.
(To each its own...)

As far as your personal speculation about my mental health, spiritual guidance, etc... why don't you keep it to yourself? We obviously do not see eye to eye. There is no need for your snide comments.

[ June 28, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Insert pseudonym here ]

Martin Red
06-28-2004, 09:05 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Martin Red:
...Is "Insert"/"Efab" promoting the book ...

graemlins/conf44.gif No, I'm not promoting the book.

On several occassions, I've posted text from the book. Often times, there are people that need to hear an insightful word or words that inspire them. They could be going through a rough time. {Not everyone wants to wallow in misery and anger.}

I posted the text merely because I wanted to share. I found the text helpful and thought ... maybe it may help someone else.
</font>[/QUOTE]Another well thought out dance around the truth. It's all public IE display of course. graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I deal in real actions, that's where people show there real unadulterated selves, rather than an editable version.

"There is nothing more difficult than armed struggle. In armed struggle, the difficulty is turning the circuitous into the direct"

How did you come to the concluion that the above would help someone on DHP , looks kinda random to me, was it related to a post ? , or was it too do with ...." armed struggle " ?

I am willing to go public graemlins/grinyes.gif .... rather than trust you too silence, since your the Perpetrator.

yet I think this will damage you far more taking in your actions on other S so far in the UK.

Your hardly an ambassador for the US.

I would prefere to take this out of the dark as I have NO trust in you or the words you utter to others in secret.

and didn't you say ages ago "____________________.. I will avoid exact words here ..._______________________________________________ _____ so i'm not posting on DHP no more _____________________"

Yet you are here, daily.

Why's that ? (considering your words)

mhd
06-28-2004, 09:26 AM
martin, what is your fucking problem?

Hk
06-28-2004, 09:50 AM
U seek meaning in something that's, 9 times outta 10, beyond U....but what do I know!

Insert pseudonym here
06-28-2004, 10:05 AM
[ June 28, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Insert pseudonym here ]

Martin Red
06-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by mhd:
martin, what is your fucking problem? What's yours ?

are you "the voice" or just "the Guardian" ?

[ June 28, 2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Martin Red ]

Martin Red
06-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Hk:
U seek meaning in something that's, 9 times outta 10, beyond U....but what do I know! That's Personal HK , and before you piped in......

In regards to this , you know nothing , you may want to act the defender if you want.

mhd
06-28-2004, 10:24 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mhd:

are you "the voice" or just "the Guardian" ? </font>[/QUOTE]keep your personal beefs off the board

TAC
06-28-2004, 10:25 AM

are you "the voice" or just "the Guardian" ? </font>[/QUOTE]keep your personal beefs off the board </font>[/QUOTE]^^^^^BUMP!!!

ngeso
06-28-2004, 10:31 AM
the usage of gunpowder (a Chinese invention, i think; until Europeans arrived in China, they had used it mainly for fireworks) to propel projectiles at an opponent essentially made this 2400-year-old treatise obsolete.

ng.

[ June 28, 2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: ngeso ]

Martin Red
06-28-2004, 10:38 AM

are you "the voice" or just "the Guardian" ? </font>[/QUOTE]keep your personal beefs off the board </font>[/QUOTE]I suppose that would be fine.

-Sun Tzu
The Art of War

Martin Red
06-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by TAC:

are you "the voice" or just "the Guardian" ? </font>[/QUOTE]keep your personal beefs off the board </font>[/QUOTE]^^^^^BUMP!!! </font>[/QUOTE]tag team graemlins/rofl.gif

-Sun Tzu
The Art of War

Martin Red
06-28-2004, 10:54 AM
bump graemlins/lol.gif

shante b
06-28-2004, 12:11 PM
i have a friend that uses some of the stuff for his business, as business strategies.

Peace
Alex

Insert pseudonym here
06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by houseflower:
i have a friend that uses some of the stuff for his business, as business strategies.

Peace
Alex </font>[/QUOTE]If you work in a rigid business environment like "The City (London)" or corporate America, it is extremely useful. Some of the strategies in the book are excellent for project management.

Martin Red
06-28-2004, 01:26 PM

-Sun Tzu
The Art of War bump , what enviroment would this excert be used ?
since it's the excert that has been posted on DHP, also is it just aimed at men , as it says "him" ?

[ June 28, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Martin Red ]

Insert pseudonym here
06-29-2004, 02:25 AM
...bump , what enviroment would this excert be used ?
since it's the excert that has been posted on DHP, also is it just aimed at men , as it says "him" ? The text I posted can be used in several environments, business, life and/or relationships.

I posted the text after dealing with a stressful situation at work. After reading it and sharing it with my co-workers, it really cleared my head. I thought it would've been nice to share with others, that may have had a stressful time at work or just in life.

Also, the text in the book uses the word "him". They never refer to the enemy as a female in the book. (which is a bit sexist, but for the era in which it was written -participating in war was probably applicable to men only)

The text itself was never directed to any one person and surely it was never directed at you.

[ June 29, 2004, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Insert pseudonym here ]

Martin Red
06-29-2004, 03:56 AM
...bump , what enviroment would this excert be used ?
since it's the excert that has been posted on DHP, also is it just aimed at men , as it says "him" ? The text I posted can be used in several environments, business, life and/or relationships.

I posted the text after dealing with a stressful situation at work. After reading it and sharing it with my co-workers, it really cleared my head. I thought it would've been nice to share with others, that may have had a stressful time at work or just in life.</font>[/QUOTE]

If you work in a rigid business environment like "The City (London)" or corporate America, it is extremely useful. Some of the strategies in the book are excellent for project management. :rolleyes:

I am bearing in mind where you work and, it isn't even close to corporate America or the City of London

A paragraph regarding "armed stuggle", from A book called "Art of War" http://deephousepage.com/smilies/headshake.gif

-Sun Tzu
The Art of War :rolleyes: http://deephousepage.com/smilies/conf40.gif

[ June 29, 2004, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: Martin Red ]

imported_Gman
06-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Don't know whats going on here Martin but these personal attacks have got to end.

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/jail.gif &lt;----- Martin