PDA

View Full Version : off topic: car question

andrea
05-21-2004, 08:42 AM
I am getting many different views on this, but here is my question. If I've had my blown head gasket repaired, will my older parts start breaking down? I've been told no and I've been told yest. I'm so confused. Any insight would help. I trust you guys. Thanks so.

Bill Blake
05-21-2004, 08:52 AM
werent you just talking about not buying gass?

And now you want car help?

DaveR
05-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Bill Blake:
werent you just talking about not buying gass?

And now you want car help? icon_rofl.gif icon_rofl.gif icon_rofl.gif

andrea
05-21-2004, 08:55 AM
i didn't buy gas on Wed.

MC
05-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Is it hard or complicated to change the brake pads?

Andy Simpson
05-21-2004, 09:02 AM
If you replace your Head Gasket, I presume you mean Cylinder head, Then you will be fine, It is not a big job and should take no longer than an hour. As long as a proper gasket for your car is installed and the head bolts tightened in sequence and to the reccomended tolerances then all will be fine.

Andy.

Bill Blake
05-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Andrea, how come you dont post on the Kuo no more?

We miss you. We will buy you a new car.

andrea
05-21-2004, 09:06 AM
andy, it took a week to repair and cost SO much. It shakes now and I feel uneasy. I am thinking my car will never be the same again and might cause other parts to break down due to the new gaskets and valve job. sigh...

MsTiye78
05-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by andrea:
andy, it took a week to repair and cost SO much. It shakes now and I feel uneasy. I am thinking my car will never be the same again and might cause other parts to break down due to the new gaskets and valve job. sigh...
it could be a spark plug loose, or some wiring or the timing. Take it back, it's probably something that's loose.

andrea
05-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Bill Blake:

We miss you. We will buy you a new car. I miss you too. Anything interestng happening on there?

Bill Blake
05-21-2004, 09:13 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bill Blake:

We miss you. We will buy you a new car. I miss you too. Anything interestng happening on there? </font>[/QUOTE]Na, not really.

Andy Simpson
05-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Andrea, Exactly where is the shaking coming from? At the steering wheel? When you go round a bend? When you apply the brakes?
I don't know what car you drive, But If it has had a "Valve" re-seat, Or job as you kindly put it, I presume all should be fine engine wise, The cylinder head has to be removed to get to the Cams and Valves. So the gasket is removed in the process and a new one installed prior to refit. So after they did this, the engine should be fine. I did not know they were adjusting valve clearances,They may have had to bore and lap them also. Depending on model of car, This can be a lengthy process! Some engines use a shim system so these have to be replaced with ones of the correct thickness, Others are more straight forward. I know this sounds Naieve, But have you checked firstly your tyre pressures, And secondly is the suspension arms and steering ok? Any American worth his salt will kindly look at these for you. Ask your neighbour?
It's not rocket science and maybe something quite simple is making the car shake, Which has nothing to do with the engine work recently carried out.

Regards Andy.

andrea
05-21-2004, 09:34 AM
you are so wise Andy. I get shaking when I am in idle and my steering wheel shakes too. I was told to check the water and oil every two days. My first gear seems kind of weak, but after that, the car just flies.

Chris Conrad
05-21-2004, 09:39 AM
a head gasket does not take an hour...no way...many mechanics will keep it for several days, if not more, and i've seen my family mechanic do this on my father's old car, he's super quick and it took several hours, almost all day...depending on the car, many things may have to be removed first...but an hour, no way...a motorcycle maybe, but a car, no way....

JoeB
05-21-2004, 09:41 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bill Blake:

We miss you. We will buy you a new car. I miss you too. Anything interestng happening on there? </font>[/QUOTE]just the fact that we miss you every day. :(

JoeB
05-21-2004, 09:42 AM
oh, and to answer your question, your car is fucked. get a new one or get used to public transportation.

Dj Pat
05-21-2004, 09:48 AM
you are so wise Andy. I get shaking when I am in idle and my steering wheel shakes too. I was told to check the water and oil every two days. My first gear seems kind of weak, but after that, the car just flies. 1st off, what type of car do you have?
If the engine has the shakes then it will Vibrate to the stearing collum.
When you change your head Gasket or Blown your Head gasket, you should have drained all the fluids out the car, a complete flush then refill.
You should have got a tune up also. It sounds like your car isnt on point when it idle's. If your cooling system in the car is bad look at your transmission Fluid first. Check the oil and see if it isnt mix with radiator fluid. It has a deep orange look to it and if thats the case then you would need a new radiator and a thermostat for your car.
Your radiator wall's has a leak in them and there mixing Cooling fluid and trans oil togather.
Or you could just have bad timeing and you mite need to get it adjusted.
Get a tune-up 1st. Change the oil and gas filter and if it's still doing it, let them put it on the computer to see whats going on with your engine.
I hope this help's.

Dj Pat
PHM

Andy Simpson
05-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Andrea, Although I am not against it, You should not have to check either the oil or water every two days. Firstly regarding the water. Make sure this is not all water, It should be anti-freeze which doubles up as Summer coolant, It has a higher boiling point than water, And this cools the engine more effientally. In the engine bay you should have a plastic transparent container, This is called an expansion tank, The colour of the liquid should be light blue or sometimes orange, I am presuming this is where you top up the coolant/Water. If it just looks like water then have it replaced, It is not a big job and your neighbour can do it !!!!
If not have it done at a garage maximum is 20 bucks. If you have had valve work then this should have cured any engine oil loss in the first place.Always remember NOT to overfill the engine oil above the mark that is on the Dip-Stick, It is better to run the engine with a little less than a little more!
Now the vibration! This sounds like the timing is slightly out, Once again not knowing the make of car it is hard to say, But if you have a tachometer on the insrument panel then at idle this should read around 500 to 750 RPM. It is a simple case of turning a screw in the throttle set up to increaase the revs at Idle, Again NEIGHBOUR! As it sounds to me that it has not got enough Revs at Idle that is making the car Judder, Also as mentioned in a previous post, Make sure the Spark Plug HT leads are seated firmly on to the spark plugs themselves, Unfortunately I'm 5000 miles or so away, Otherwise I would come round and do it for nothing smile.gif But I really think it is something quite simple to diagnose and fix so don't worry about it too much.

Regards Andy.

Andy Simpson
05-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Chris In America they have BIG Cars and big Rocker covers, Here in England we have teenie weenie engines and teenie weenie rocker covers, Hence the one hour gasket refit hail.gif
Hope this explains it?

Regards Andy.

kikolong
05-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 1490 AM:
Is it hard or complicated to change the brake pads? What does this have to do with her question?

andrea
05-21-2004, 10:05 AM
thank you all.

anyone have a passat? good car????

beaniboy67
05-21-2004, 10:51 AM
if you get your cylinder head gasket done you automatically need a new timing belt too.

you should also get it serviced ex- oil change, new plugs and so on.

basically any mechanic worth his salt should be doing the timing belt when the heafd gets done and NO, getting the head done makes obsolute no difference to any other part of the car if done properly.

hope this helps

Chris Conrad
05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Andy Simpson:
Chris In America they have BIG Cars and big Rocker covers, Here in England we have teenie weenie engines and teenie weenie rocker covers, Hence the one hour gasket refit hail.gif
Hope this explains it?

Regards Andy. ok, on small engines like i've seen in europe, i can see this...i wish we had smaller cars here...the fule costs have skyrocketed and the fuel econmomy on cars here compared to europe sucks...

beaniboy67
05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
ANDY speaks the truth too lol.

basically everything he has told u is the script.

timing belt s maybe needing adjusted since its a new one thats been put on , plus the oil and water/anti freeze should be cool once filled up.

cheers

Andy Simpson
05-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Chris I take your point, But you also have to remember that we pay 82 pence per litre!!! Thats $1.50 per litre, I'll let you do the math into Gallons.That's why we have smaller cars, Unless you are royalty!
Andrea I have had a Passat estate car around 5 years ago, Simply put the BEST most reliable car I ever owned It never let me down, Was built like a brick shithouse, And was pretty good on fuel to boot. I sold it with a true 160,000 miles on the clock, Lo and behold I saw it last year in a supermarket Car park and it had covered a mind boggling 242,000 miles. It still looked in good shape, No rust showing anywhere! It's German and that equates to BULLETPROOF!!!!!
I now have a VW Polo, A small 3 door hatch, Fine for me and averages 40 plus miles to the Gallon, Never had a problem with this either, So happy motoring!! If I do win some money I'm Getting the Audi RS6, A friend of my friend has just got a new one, What, I Mean WHAT a car! Stick the golf clubs and the kids in the back and in just over 4 secs your at 62 mph A real wolf in sheeps clothing, Engine bay is a marvel to look at, I call it a THUG in a pinstripe suit, I hasten to add not designed by Sean Coombes!!!
graemlins/lol.gif

Andy.

andrea
05-21-2004, 12:08 PM
i've taken a likin to the Passat lately. If I can't have the Chrysler 300, it will probably be a Passat. You guys are great. thanks again.

Andy Simpson
05-21-2004, 12:22 PM
I prefer the understated looks of The Passat personally!

Andy.

JMJ
05-21-2004, 12:28 PM
I've always liked the Passat, and had a chance to drive one through a slalom course last year. I wasn't impressed with the handling, mainly due to the solid rear axle. The Nissan Altima gives the most bang for the buck in my opinion, and the 180 HP 4 cylinder is the way to go. No need for the 6 unless you enjoy spending money needlessly. Great styling (except the interior) and performance......JMJ

Juci J
05-21-2004, 12:34 PM
I personally like the Nissan Maxima. Nice ,roomy and lovin the optional vertical sunroof. Sweet

Andy Simpson
05-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Vertical? Sunroof graemlins/conf44.gif
Andy