PDA

View Full Version : Politics & Music...

JoDe Presser aka Marlon Billups
04-19-2004, 11:22 AM
After reading the post about the 60minutes interview I cannot help myself from thinking about doing something to help promote voting. I want to know who is planning on producing, promoting, performing, etc. anything to help promote people to get out and vote?

I, myself is having a "Get Bush The Hell Out of Office Party" on election day. If you show a voting stub you get a free drink.

Seriously, we need to promote like crazy. Alot of young people feel they have no reason to vote. We need to challenge this form of thinking or live with the consequences in the world of should've, would've, could've .
graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/OLA.gif

Dj Pat
04-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by JoDe Presser:
After reading the post about the 60minutes interview I cannot help myself from thinking about doing something to help promote voting. I want to know who is planning on producing, promoting, performing, etc. anything to help promote people to get out and vote?

I, myself is having a "Get Bush The Hell Out of Office Party" on election day. If you show a voting stub you get a free drink.

Seriously, we need to promote like crazy. Alot of young people feel they have no reason to vote. We need to challenge this form of thinking or live with the consequences in the world of should've, would've, could've .
graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/OLA.gif I've been saying this for years now.
Everyone Complain about everything and Everyone but there not taking strides to correct the issue at hand.
I'm with you on this, sounds like a great ideal!!
graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/respekt.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Now lets see the support!!!!

Dj Pat
Physical Heat Music

mdpm99
04-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Amen

Dj Pat
04-19-2004, 01:34 PM
BUMPITY BUMP BUMP!!!

Shannon
04-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Hand out free drinks out side the voting facility and your plan will be more effective. If people could vote online I think they would be more inclined to place a vote. It's not always that they don't want too. Sometime it's not convient to them or a priority. Too throw a party you will still need them to go vote and then come to your party.

To get people into voting sell it with sexual campaigns. Then you will see results. Sex sells everything in this day and age. You see how big the freaky friday post are on this site alone. Make voting freaky and you have a winner. Pass out sexual toys and condoms with a voting stub then you are in business..

mhd
04-19-2004, 02:44 PM
props to shannon for thinking outside the box, not sure how workable those suggestions are but they are innovative

Shannon
04-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by mhd:
props to shannon for thinking outside the box, not sure how workable those suggestions are but they are innovative Hey mhd, we could do like a voting gurls gone wild video and give it to people with voting stubs outside the place. Also a men video for the ladies.

Then you run a thing where if a person brings 5 people they get a free toy or something with the video. It will be a cheese line outside the place then... hahaha Just make sure the people in the video are worth video taping...

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm going to lend my thread for my BND brotha, but as far as voting, I gave up on that shit a while ago, I think Bush deserves to get the hell out of office, however, I don't feel (anymore) that having a Democrat as a Alderman, Mayor, Congressman, Govenor, President, ETC. is going to change the fact that black people got to get up get out and get somthin for themselves and not wait around and vote for someone to make it easier, no matter who is in office this coming November, it is still gonna be hard for minorities.....and thats real...... smile.gif

Jamie 3:26
04-19-2004, 03:33 PM
I know back in the days they used to give wineheads money and wine to vote.

mhd
04-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Shannon:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mhd:
props to shannon for thinking outside the box, not sure how workable those suggestions are but they are innovative Hey mhd, we could do like a voting gurls gone wild video and give it to people with voting stubs outside the place. Also a men video for the ladies.

Then you run a thing where if a person brings 5 people they get a free toy or something with the video. It will be a cheese line outside the place then... hahaha Just make sure the people in the video are worth video taping... </font>[/QUOTE]haha, i like your ideas, keep thinking, bringing new blood into the mix always brings a fresh perspective

mhd
04-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by KIRE .J:
I know back in the days they used to give wineheads money and wine to vote. in most places it is permissable to pay people to do certain tasks like put up posters, hand out literature, etc.

Shannon
04-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by DJ Chuck P:
I'm going to lend my thread for my BND brotha, but as far as voting, I gave up on that shit a while ago, I think Bush deserves to get the hell out of office, however, I don't feel (anymore) that having a Democrat as a Alderman, Mayor, Congressman, Govenor, President, ETC. is going to change the fact that black people got to get up get out and get somthin for themselves and not wait around and vote for someone to make it easier, no matter who is in office this coming November, it is still gonna be hard for minorities.....and thats real...... smile.gif Chuck getting out and vote is doing something for yourself bro. Why don't you run for office and make a difference? If people keep having this "it's not gonna make a difference" then we will never get anywhere. So what are you planning to do to make a change? That's the message behind Jo de's post. Getting up and going out to do something for humanity. For the future. For nature. Beleiving in people can make a difference. Beleiving in yourself can make a difference.

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 03:58 PM
I believe that politicians sell themselves out for the good of the office for which they are running, maybe not because they want to but because they need others to help them get into office, and once they are in, who do you think has their hands out for those favors, the people that got them elected and who gets left out in the process, the people the politician made all those damn promises to about how things are going to be better and how he or she is gonna make a change........bull shit!!

Shannon
04-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by KIRE .J:
I know back in the days they used to give wineheads money and wine to vote. Exactly!!! See the average person does things that they feel benefits them. If you don't have a master plan that encompasses "what r u gonna do for me" then you will never get people to vote. Sex, drugs and alcohol is a industry that will never go bankrupt because people feel they need these things. They don't care about politics or etc. So to fight this war you have to step to them street style. Give them what it takes to get them there and be happy that they went for the cheese in the trap to vote. It's a damn shame but thats how it works. Lead them to the water and make them drink.

Shannon
04-19-2004, 04:00 PM
I believe that politicians sell themselves out for the good of the office for which they are running, maybe not because they want to but because they need others to help them get into office, and once they are in, who do you think has their hands out for those favors, the people that got them elected and who gets left out in the process, the people the politician made all those damn promises to about how things are going to be better and how he or she is gonna make a change........bull shit!! OK SO YOUR SOLUTION IS?

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Try your best to make things happen for yourselves as best you can Professionally, Financially, Spirituallly, enjoy your family and friends, live life to the fullest, respect those that respect you......and most of all have as much fun as you can cause nothing is promised.... smile.gif

mhd
04-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Try your best to make things happen for yourselves as best you can Professionally, Financially, Spirituallly, enjoy your family and friends, live life to the fullest, respect those that respect you......and most of all have as much fun as you can cause nothing is promised.... smile.gif sorry, but thats not a solution, thats coping

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Coping is a solution when you understand that this fight is larger than one man, one community, one city, and it will never change, anytime a man could die for the opportunity of fair treatment and equality and you still can't get people to come out and vote you have to ask yourself whats wrong.......everyone knows the message, I think black people have just grown tired of the messengers

mhd
04-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Coping is a solution when you understand that this fight is larger than one man, one community, one city, and it will never change, anytime a man could die for the opportunity of fair treatment and equality and you still can't get people to come out and vote you have to ask yourself whats wrong.......everyone knows the message, I think black people have just grown tired of the messengers coping is a solution when you have given up hope. but you are right it is bigger than one man, one city, that is why we need you and the people you know to stand with us to try to bring this nation back to peace. but you are wrong, people do come out to vote, millions of people come out to vote every election, they are not the problem its the people that don't vote but still complain who are the problem. if all the black people that could vote would vote bush would not stand a chance. together you and i could make this happen

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Tell me how me and my wife's life will be different when the Democrats get back in office.

mhd
04-19-2004, 04:27 PM
where do you live? what do you do? whats important to you? for one thing, if the dems win you will have a black senator from the southside of chicago who has devoted his life to that community. if the dems win then less money will be spent on the military and more money on healthcare, education and economic development and jobs. more attention will be paid to things like infrastructure, wages, affordable housing, the bread and butter issues that affect poor and working class people. there will also be more black people in the upper ranks of government that will be setting policy

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 04:31 PM
you still haven't asnwered my question...... smile.gif

mhd
04-19-2004, 04:36 PM
you still haven't asnwered my question...... smile.gif you haven't answered mine, if you want me to respond to your personal needs i will but i have to know what they are right? but think about all those people that fought and died for the rights we take for granted today, i don't think they were concerned for their personal needs, do you? john lewis is a congressman from atlanta, he has a metal plate in his head, i'm sure that he could have done without that inconvenience

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 04:41 PM
I feel you in refrence to that Congressman, but tell me how the common folk benefit from people who come down to the "hood" to get the vote and then never return again until it's time to get it again......I've seen the game played far too many times to be a party to it anymore...Z will devote my life to helping people as best I can but not though the so called Democratic process

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 04:42 PM
ooops, that z should have been an I

mhd
04-19-2004, 04:45 PM
gotta run chuck, great convo, i'll get back to you

Chuck P
04-19-2004, 04:48 PM
absolutly take care, smile.gif

04-19-2004, 05:02 PM
We need to plan our taking of the country and mine is to help..."Get Bush The Hell Out Of Office."
Again, what are you doing to help our situation? graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Koffy Brown
04-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Tell me how me and my wife's life will be different when the Democrats get back in office. I say get out and vote and YOU come back and tell us how much better you and your wife's life is...

[ April 19, 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Kizzy ]

Shannon
04-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Try your best to make things happen for yourselves as best you can Professionally, Financially, Spirituallly, enjoy your family and friends, live life to the fullest, respect those that respect you......and most of all have as much fun as you can cause nothing is promised.... smile.gif This is what they want you to think. I hate to say it Chuck but you are caught in the system. You think going to your 9-5 and just making it day by day is doing your part as a human being. Then to top it off you think that you are doing the best that you can at it. Why not push and strive for more bro? You keep saying "black people" and "they" what about you? What sets you apart from the people or politicians you speak of? They are just getting by and doing what they think is there best.

Also approaching everything with a negative mind set only brings negative results. You came on this site complaining about the industry and djing remember? Several people pulled you to the side (at the own will because they dont owe you anything) and told you to think differently. I am expressing this from one person to another bro "Get off your a$$ and reach for sky of opportunities"! If you think that playing records and working everyday is making a change in the world then things would've been different a long long time ago. You are not the first with your mindset and definitely not the last. Think outside the box and don't given in to status quo thoughts. Show us your quality bro. What are you willing to sacrifice to make a change?

Solutions and actions make things happen. Not complaining and hiding behind a party, the turntables, a drink, drugs, your family and etc.. We all have daily struggles and will always have them. So thats no excuse. Please go and vote if not for you then me, MHD, Jo de Presser, Kizzy, David Mancuso, DHP, House Music and the world. It's not all about you ok!

[ April 20, 2004, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Shannon ]

Shannon
04-20-2004, 06:50 AM
If you are not apart of the Solution then you are apart of the Problem. There is no in between..

C hristian
04-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Music and Politics. These are the 2 themes of my life! I love it! Music and Politics. Everything I beleive in, everything I'm good at. music and politics.

anyway...

The women, no, both sexes need to withhold sexual favors from their partners until they see their partner's "i voted" stickers.

I've always thought that "get out the vote" drives are entirely appropriate in the clubs for this election. I personally think that (for once?) David's loft parties should set the tone in this regard, seeing as David is clearly very committed to the cause. Followed by a night of protest themed music. I know I have that in mind for here. But maybe all of that is preaching to the choir. In which case, we need to go beyond step 1 and get to step 2. Some kind of information dissemination project about Bush, and all we know about and discuss here, to all our friends and aquaintences, especially those in the swing states.

Deeelite, "Vote Baby Vote"

mdpm99
04-20-2004, 07:13 AM
quote:

Tell me how me and my wife's life will be different when the Democrats get back in office.

Greetings DJ Chuck P smile.gif

The worst thing that can happen ...is nothing.

Have a great day graemlins/thumbsup.gif

d.

04-20-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by C hristian:
get to step 2. Some kind of information dissemination project about Bush, and all we know about and discuss here, to all our friends and aquaintences, especially those in the swing states.

Deeelite, "Vote Baby Vote" That's a great idea!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif
The flyers could actually be registration forms!!!
Thanks C hristian

Shannon
04-20-2004, 09:17 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by C hristian:
get to step 2. Some kind of information dissemination project about Bush, and all we know about and discuss here, to all our friends and aquaintences, especially those in the swing states.

Thanks C hristian </font>[/QUOTE]The only thing about handing out flyers or disbursing them is that people look at flyers as trash nowadays. Most don't read them and toss them out quickly. I suggest from a DJ perspective to make a mix CD using the flyer as the J-card so at least they will play the CD and keep the cover long enough to let it soak in. You can also put plugs on the CD (dont over do it) promoting the campaign against bush and etc. Music and messages work better than flyers and accapella speeches. If you make the CD hot enough they will play it over and over making the message sink in and opening up a possibility for other listeners to hear the message.

Place all positive political music on the CD with the names of songs so that the people are inspired by the titles as well as the music/messages. You will have to be diverse with the music selection if you are trying to get a wide audience to listen to your CD. If you place all house then you won't reach a wider audience.

I am down for doing this Jo De if you are interested.

04-20-2004, 09:28 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JoDe Presser:

Thanks C hristian </font>[/QUOTE]The only thing about handing out flyers or disbursing them is that people look at flyers as trash nowadays. Most don't read them and toss them out quickly. </font>[/QUOTE]I want to have registration form attached somehow. To the cd, flyer, news release, use a push-pin and stick it to their...well, you get the idea. At least give info on where to register.

kara
04-20-2004, 09:31 AM

great post/thread/action! smile.gif

graemlins/beerchug.gif

04-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by kara:

great post/thread/action! smile.gif

graemlins/beerchug.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks Kara!!!
we the people ==&gt; graemlins/slap.gif &lt;===Bush

Oak Pk, IL's Best Bedroom DJ, serge
04-20-2004, 09:55 AM

Thanks C hristian </font>[/QUOTE]The only thing about handing out flyers or disbursing them is that people look at flyers as trash nowadays. Most don't read them and toss them out quickly. I suggest from a DJ perspective to make a mix CD using the flyer as the J-card so at least they will play the CD and keep the cover long enough to let it soak in. You can also put plugs on the CD (dont over do it) promoting the campaign against bush and etc. Music and messages work better than flyers and accapella speeches. If you make the CD hot enough they will play it over and over making the message sink in and opening up a possibility for other listeners to hear the message.

Place all positive political music on the CD with the names of songs so that the people are inspired by the titles as well as the music/messages. You will have to be diverse with the music selection if you are trying to get a wide audience to listen to your CD. If you place all house then you won't reach a wider audience.

I am down for doing this Jo De if you are interested. </font>[/QUOTE]Great ideas, guys. I've been FIENDING to do something like this for a few months now.

We got to get our people out to vote one way or another.

Count me in if you need help. My wife and I can get a shitload of Motor Voter applications. We can hand out Motor Voter registration apps along with cd's at a party.

Shannon
04-20-2004, 10:29 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shannon:

Thanks C hristian </font>[/QUOTE]The only thing about handing out flyers or disbursing them is that people look at flyers as trash nowadays. Most don't read them and toss them out quickly. </font>[/QUOTE]I want to have registration form attached somehow. To the cd, flyer, news release, use a push-pin and stick it to their...well, you get the idea. At least give info on where to register. </font>[/QUOTE]I am saying that the forms or information is a part of the CD package. That way you know it keeps there interest and won't be thrown in teh garbage so fast. The J-card (Front cover) would be the voters info and the back side information on songs and etc.. Then as a CD booklet you can place more info in there. Catch my drift? This is more attractive to the public than paper.

Marketing on a street level requires more than passing out flyers to get an interest in what you are saying. The music with the message will be more effective...

mhd
04-20-2004, 10:37 AM

Thanks C hristian </font>[/QUOTE]The only thing about handing out flyers or disbursing them is that people look at flyers as trash nowadays. Most don't read them and toss them out quickly. </font>[/QUOTE]I want to have registration form attached somehow. To the cd, flyer, news release, use a push-pin and stick it to their...well, you get the idea. At least give info on where to register. </font>[/QUOTE]I am saying that the forms or information is a part of the CD package. That way you know it keeps there interest and won't be thrown in teh garbage so fast. The J-card (Front cover) would be the voters info and the back side information on songs and etc.. Then as a CD booklet you can place more info in there. Catch my drift? This is more attractive to the public than paper.

Marketing on a street level requires more than passing out flyers to get an interest in what you are saying. The music with the message will be more effective... </font>[/QUOTE]brilliant, in the past i have thrown events/ performances/rallies to get out the vote, we could tie in a concert/party along with the music in the cd. marketing is marketing is marketing

mhd
hell, we could even have chuck dj!

Shannon
Originally posted by serge:

I am down for doing this Jo De if you are interested. </font>[/QUOTE]Great ideas, guys. I've been FIENDING to do something like this for a few months now.

Count me in if you need help. My wife and I can get a shitload of Motor Voter applications. We can hand out Motor Voter registration apps along with cd's at a party. </font>[/QUOTE]Cool!! Now parties is one place but we need people at grocery stores, restaurants, colleges, malls and etc... "Taking it to the streets" is what we need to do. A small precentage go to clubs and most are too drunk to care about voting.

04-20-2004, 10:42 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by serge:

Count me in if you need help. My wife and I can get a shitload of Motor Voter applications. We can hand out Motor Voter registration apps along with cd's at a party. </font>[/QUOTE]Cool!! Now parties is one place but we need people at grocery stores, restaurants, colleges, malls and etc... "Taking it to the streets" is what we need to do. A small precentage go to clubs and most are too drunk to care about voting. </font>[/QUOTE]You're talking to someone who's done beaucoup voter registration drives in the past 10 years.

I just finished doing a drive last month. So believe me, I feel ya.

Discogoddess
04-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Yall have some great ideas perculating. I'd love to help in any way I can. smile.gif

mhd
04-20-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Discogoddess:
Yall have some great ideas perculating. I'd love to help in any way I can. smile.gif welcome aboard, we could try this out, see what works and duplicate in other cities just like the dhp parties, the key is keep it open to the public, preferably outside and away from the clubs

Shannon
04-20-2004, 10:56 AM

Count me in if you need help. My wife and I can get a shitload of Motor Voter applications. We can hand out Motor Voter registration apps along with cd's at a party. </font>[/QUOTE]Cool!! Now parties is one place but we need people at grocery stores, restaurants, colleges, malls and etc... "Taking it to the streets" is what we need to do. A small precentage go to clubs and most are too drunk to care about voting. </font>[/QUOTE]You're talking to someone who's done beaucoup voter registration drives in the past 10 years.

I just finished doing a drive last month. So believe me, I feel ya. </font>[/QUOTE]smile.gif You are Hired!!!

Discogoddess
04-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Next steps?

shanequa sanchez
04-20-2004, 11:06 AM
i'd like to see voter registration going on at the coney island beach parties...lil ray's jamboree...and other summer time outdoor events that will bring in alot of people outside of the scene...
set up some tables and have the dj's announce that one of the goals for the event is to inform and have folks register.
i know there are community organizations that do voter registration...why not ask them to set up some tables and help folks sign up?
instead of a "rock the vote"...why not have a "house the vote" campaign?

Shannon
04-20-2004, 11:10 AM

Marketing on a street level requires more than passing out flyers to get an interest in what you are saying. The music with the message will be more effective... </font>[/QUOTE]brilliant, in the past i have thrown events/ performances/rallies to get out the vote, we could tie in a concert/party along with the music in the cd. marketing is marketing is marketing </font>[/QUOTE]I feel you! A celebration would be called for get the people inspired...

Shannon
04-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Next steps? We need to meet to organize the mission.. Everybody list 2 days they are able to take a hour or two to meet and we see whats best for everyone.

For me after this week Thursday - Saturday is good. I just need to know in advance... smile.gif

04-20-2004, 11:57 AM
any time after 6pm m-f
any time on the weekend
just let me know!

we can find a central location to meet too!
Depending on the count I can possibly have a place for everyone mon - sat!!! so, just let me know when it is best for everyone to meet!!!

I'm loving this!!!!

04-20-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm available m-f after 6pm and sundays.

Discogoddess
04-20-2004, 12:10 PM
This week: Thursday and Friday after 6:30p. This weekend is up in the air.

Shannon
04-20-2004, 12:17 PM
This week: Thursday and Friday after 6:30p. This weekend is up in the air. Thursday after 6:30 looks like the best choice. I think Jo De is arranging a place to meet. Serge and Disco where do you all stay? South?

04-20-2004, 01:47 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Discogoddess:
This week: Thursday and Friday after 6:30p. This weekend is up in the air. Thursday after 6:30 looks like the best choice. I think Jo De is arranging a place to meet. Serge and Disco where do you all stay? South? </font>[/QUOTE]I stay up north.

Steven Stewart
04-20-2004, 02:21 PM
if the dems win then less money will be spent on the military and more money on healthcare, education and economic development and jobs. more attention will be paid to things like infrastructure, wages, affordable housing, the bread and butter issues that affect poor and working class people. there will also be more black people in the upper ranks of government that will be setting policy Why must we spend less money on the military? Do you think the military gets too much?

mhd
04-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Steven Stewart:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mhd:
if the dems win then less money will be spent on the military and more money on healthcare, education and economic development and jobs. more attention will be paid to things like infrastructure, wages, affordable housing, the bread and butter issues that affect poor and working class people. there will also be more black people in the upper ranks of government that will be setting policy Why must we spend less money on the military? Do you think the military gets too much? </font>[/QUOTE]most definitely, guns v butter, and a lot of it goes to private contractors, like haliburton, research where most of the Secretaries of Defense come from and where they go after their term is over

Discogoddess
04-20-2004, 02:23 PM
This week: Thursday and Friday after 6:30p. This weekend is up in the air. Thursday after 6:30 looks like the best choice. I think Jo De is arranging a place to meet. Serge and Disco where do you all stay? South? </font>[/QUOTE]I stay up north. </font>[/QUOTE]What he said.

mhd
04-20-2004, 02:24 PM
bumping this up for kbig

Shannon
04-20-2004, 02:27 PM
This week: Thursday and Friday after 6:30p. This weekend is up in the air. Thursday after 6:30 looks like the best choice. I think Jo De is arranging a place to meet. Serge and Disco where do you all stay? South? </font>[/QUOTE]I stay up north. </font>[/QUOTE]What he said. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok we are working on a central location. We will be in touch soon. smile.gif

Steven Stewart
04-20-2004, 02:29 PM
[/qb]most definitely, guns v butter, and a lot of it goes to private contractors, like haliburton, research where most of the Secretaries of Defense come from and where they go after their term is over [/QB][/QUOTE]

I agree with the patronage that exists, I still don't believe that haliburton's wages come from the DOD budget. I think that was part of that suplement that got passed after 9/11. The Military wouldn't use Haliburton in the US. An undercapitalized military is the problem now....

mhd
04-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Steven Stewart:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />most definitely, guns v butter, and a lot of it goes to private contractors, like haliburton, research where most of the Secretaries of Defense come from and where they go after their term is over [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I agree with the patronage that exists, I still don't believe that haliburton's wages come from the DOD budget. I think that was part of that suplement that got passed after 9/11. The Military wouldn't use Haliburton in the US. An undercapitalized military is the problem now.... [/QB][/QUOTE]

good money after bad, its just policy choices

Steven Stewart
04-20-2004, 02:37 PM
[ good money after bad, its just policy choices [/QB][/QUOTE]

please elaborate this is getting interesting....

mhd
04-20-2004, 02:44 PM
you say the DOD is undercapitalized NOW, of course they are after horrible foreign policy decisions led to war then the troops are essentially held hostage by the repubs and dare anyone to vote against further appropriations, meanwhile, haliburton is getting no bid contracts and overcharging by about 64 million dollars, on one contract (that we caught them on) so we have to spend money to protect our troops that never should have been there in the first place

Shannon
04-20-2004, 02:54 PM
you say the DOD is undercapitalized NOW, of course they are after horrible foreign policy decisions led to war then the troops are essentially held hostage by the repubs and dare anyone to vote against further appropriations, meanwhile, haliburton is getting no bid contracts and overcharging by about 64 million dollars, on one contract (that we caught them on) so we have to spend money to protect our troops that never should have been there in the first place rewind!!!!

KragShot
04-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Chuck, my man...you asked how could your life be any better if you voted.

I can't answer that question, but I can tell you how your (and all of us here on DHP) life could be worse if you didn't.

I just got this today in the mail.

Dear Beryl,

Thanks to your help, the Drug Policy Alliance is making this Saturday, April 24, a day and night of outrage. The end of live music as we know it could be on its way, with a devastating impact on the music industry. Congress is considering legislation to hold bands, DJs, bartenders, promoters, venue owners, radio stations and others liable if a patron uses drugs at a nightclub or concert.

We asked our supporters around the country to plan actions for this day -- and the results far exceeded our expectations! Events are taking place in dozens of cities, from Billings, Montana to New York City. These actions include circulating petitions at nightclubs and festivals, holding protests and raising money for the campaign to protect live music.

If you take part in an action on April 24th, e-mail me afterwards (bpiper@drugpolicy.org) to let us know how it went (how many people signed the petitions, how many flyers were distributed, how much money was raised, etc). If you're planning an action and haven't given me the specifics yet, please do so today.

If you're not working on an event or action, read on to find out what you can do this Saturday or over the next couple of months to protect live music.

PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS

* Circulate our petition at local clubs, festivals, and other public events on April 24th. We need thousands of Americans to sign the petition to Congress. Download the petition here:
http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/ctt.asp?u=415647&l=29544

* If you're a musician, promoter or venue owner, organize a musical event in May, June, or July to raise money for the campaign to stop this legislation. We need to raise $100,000 in emergency money to hire lobbyists and fund grassroots efforts in key congressional districts. If you're interested go to:
http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/ctt.asp?u=415647&l=29545

THE CAMPAIGN

On April 24th the revolution begins.

Our goals on this day are to educate the public, raise money, bring national media attention to Congress's assault on civil liberties, identify our allies, and build a grassroots movement to protect live music.

During the week after April 24th we will begin forming action teams in cities across the country to lobby members of Congress, raise awareness, and organize concerned citizens. These action teams, composed of freedom fighters like you, will design action campaigns in their areas. We'll send you an e-mail later this month with all the information you need to start something in your area.

In May, June, and July, the Alliance will work with musicians, promoters, and venue owners to hold a series of fundraisers to raise money to finance the campaign. Meanwhile, action teams around the country will turn up the heat on Congress and grab media attention.

In late summer, ROAR: The National Dance and Music Rights Alliance [link] will bring the fight to Congress's backyard with a protest and concert on the lawn of the U.S Capitol. This will be the third year in a row ROAR holds such an event and each year they get bigger and bigger:
http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/ctt.asp?u=415647&l=29547

We have much work ahead, but all of us at the Drug Policy Alliance believe the goal of defeating this absurd legislation is within our reach. Many thanks for your concern, help and support.

Sincerely,

Bill Piper
Director, Office of National Affairs
Drug Policy Alliance
Washington, DC

Now, here it is in black and white.

If you vote, you can put somebody in office who will stop this shit from happening.

In the last three years, the government has been steadily creating and implementing legislation that is threatening our way of life.

If this shit and more laws like the Ilicit Drug Anti-Proliferation Act become active, you guys might as well throw away your vinyl and 1200s, as they will be considered drug paraphenalia.

I've written to Durbin every time that one of these fcuked-up laws have passed my desk...and he has responded every time...not just a form letter or crap like that. I have correspondance from the man. I plan on sending a letter on combatting legislation of this nature to Obama. I expect to get an answer from him when I do. And I'll probably get it.

Chuck, we can't make you feel any way other than how you do. But the democratic process is all that we have. The only other option is revolution.

The democratic process will work if the people enforce it. There were enough people in the US who could have called for a vote of no confidence when Bush was elected had we all combined our efforts. When he sent troops to Iraq, it could have been done again.

All that I know is that I plan on voting in November and getting rid of the people who promote and back this nonsense.

KragShot

KragShot
04-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Hey, count me in on this deal!

Weekends are shaky for me, but this Thursday is okay, seeing as we're still having firewall problems with the show...which by the way, once we are broadcasting again, will be at your disposal for this.

I can pledge air time for statements.

However, I suggest if we are serious, then we should contact the Democratic Party and get some official backing, so we don't get sued if we say something that can be construed as inflamatory.

KragShot

Steven Stewart
04-20-2004, 03:30 PM
you say the DOD is undercapitalized NOW, of course they are after horrible foreign policy decisions led to war

haliburton is getting no bid contracts and overcharging by about 64 million dollars, on one contract (that we caught them on) so we have to spend money to protect our troops that never should have been there in the first place DOD started being undercapitalized during the Clinton Administration. Gramm Rudman made sure the military was under manned.

I agree about Haliburton, and yes if we weren't there, hailburton wouldn't be needed. Yet, the military has outdated equipment (more so in the reserves) Not enough essential equipment (Body Armor) and in compatible equipment. hailburton is there because the military didn't have enough personnel to do it themselves. I don't think we should be there but if your gonna send them, send them right.....

[ April 20, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Steven Stewart ]

mhd
04-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by KragShot v3.0: Subliminal Assassin:

Weekends are shaky for me, but this Thursday is okay, seeing as we're still having firewall problems with the show...which by the way, once we are broadcasting again, will be at your disposal for this.

However, I suggest if we are serious, then we should contact the Democratic Party and get some official backing, so we don't get sued if we say something that can be construed as inflamatory.

KragShot don't worry about the party just people talking to people

04-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by KragShot v3.0: Subliminal Assassin:

KragShot Thanks...

04-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Okay, here it is:

Meeting @ Columbia College Chicago
623 S. Wabash Ave. room 601
6pm, 6pm, 6pm, 6pm
April 30th, April 30th, April 30th
for more info email - jo_de_presser@yahoo.com

Discogoddess
04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Okay, here it is:

Meeting @ Columbia College Chicago
623 S. Wabash Ave. room 601
6pm, 6pm, 6pm, 6pm
April 30th, April 30th, April 30th
for more info email - jo_de_presser@yahoo.com Will be there, but probably a bit late. Coming in on the train from the NW 'burbs.

Shannon
04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Cool I am there..

Discogoddess
04-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Are we still meeting on Friday? smile.gif

Agenda?

Shannon
04-28-2004, 03:10 PM
YES!

Email Jo_de_presser@yahoo.com for agenda info...

[ April 28, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Shannon ]

04-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Yes, everything is going smooth...c ya 2morrow...

The People====&gt; graemlins/slap.gif &lt;====Bush

Discogoddess
04-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks...