PDA

View Full Version : Musical instrument of the day: THE DIDGERIDOO

Martin Red
06-09-2004, 10:58 AM
The didgeridoo (or didgerid¨) is the antique wind instrument of Australian Aborigines. There are no reliable sources stating its exact age, but it could possibly go back to at least fifteen thousand years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/upload/8/86/Didgeridoo_Entier1.jpg
Ornate didgeridoo

The name "didgeridoo" is generally used by non-Aborigines; in Australia, this instrument is indicated with at least fifty different names, according to the various peoples living in the Country: therefore one can run through djalupu, djubini, ganbag, gamalag, maluk, and up to yirago, yiraki, yidaky... Didgeridoo is not an aboriginal wordŚit is an onomatopaoeic term coined by early European settlers; its first known use by Herbert Basedow in 1926.

The didgeridoo is classified as a "labial reed airphone" musical instrument, it has a light conical hose shape of variable length (about a meter or a meter and a half, but can also reach two meters and a half). This instrument is made out of an eucalyptus branch (a plant widely diffused in the North of Australia); the branch is chosen among those whose inner part has been hollowed by termites. Firstly peeled, cleaned and accurately finished, the instrument is then decorated with traditional paintings of aboriginal mythology. In aboriginal tradition the didgeridoo is made by women but played exclusively by men, who use it not only as a wind instrument where they can blow and meanwhile utter words, sounds, noises, but also as a percussion instrument if hit with sticks or boomerangs.

Although made of wood, the didgeridoo is played by vibrating the lips like a brass instrument. The style in which it is played uses circular breathing to produce a continuous tone, and relies on rhythm rather than precise musical pitch for its interest. Any given didgeridoo, like an organ pipe, will have just one natural pitch; and can vary only very slightly from that pitch. As such the didgeridoo functions more like an unpitched percussion instrument than a melody instrument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/upload/d/dd/Didgeridoo_Embout1.jpg
Didgeridoo mouthpiece

Martin Red
06-09-2004, 10:59 AM
http://www.schenk-verlag.de/didgeridoo-Player.jpg

http://www.uni-oldenburg.de/musik-for/musikderwelt/ue/bilder/didgeridoo.jpg

Andy Simpson
06-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Wondered when this instrument would be featured!
I love the sound, Though I lived in Australia on And off, I have never heard anyone do a cover of Grover Washingtons "Mr Magic" on it! graemlins/acclaim.gif

Andy.

suenomartino
06-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Andy Simpson:
I have never heard anyone do a cover of Grover Washingtons "Mr Magic" on it!icon_rofl.gif

MusicFilter
06-09-2004, 05:26 PM
I never quite got it, it always sounded like someone with bad gas to me. icon_rofl.gif

JorgeG
06-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks Martin Red. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jamiroquai graemlins/respekt.gif

[ June 09, 2004, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: JorgeG ]

mdpm99
06-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Excellent!

graemlins/thumbsup.gif

d

RX
06-09-2004, 06:53 PM
thanks for this, mr. red...you are so dope...i have heard some fierce covers and other musics played on this piece here...it's amazing what folk can do with this...

(Im)poster
06-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by MusicFilter:
I never quite got it, it always sounded like someone with bad gas to me. icon_rofl.gif I was just laughing about the same thing not more than 30 minutes ago. I actually own one and can't stop laughing whenever I try to play it. I bought it mostly to display with other instruments I've collected over the years so it's more pretty than practical in my case. The music is also supposed to be good for inducing trance.

Thanks, Martin!

Ingela
06-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by (Im)poster:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MusicFilter:
I never quite got it, it always sounded like someone with bad gas to me. icon_rofl.gif I was just laughing about the same thing not more than 30 minutes ago. I actually own one and can't stop laughing whenever I try to play it. I bought it mostly to display with other instruments I've collected over the years so it's more pretty than practical in my case. The music is also supposed to be good for inducing trance.

Thanks, Martin! </font>[/QUOTE]I know what you mean.. have been trying playing at my mums Didgeridoo and can't get any decent sound from it.. I've heard people play it so it can be done, but it's still a mystery to me!