PDA

View Full Version : What happened to respecting your guest DJs???

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 12:30 PM
This deserves it's own thread.

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 12:32 PM
If I am the guest, I prefer to know ahead of time what I can expect. Some cash maybe, cab fare? If not cause your party does that poorly at the bar, how about a car ride and an offer to do extra promotion for me that night? You catch my drift?

Seems like promoters aren't even giving you that respect anymore, just getting lazy and riding off the "deep house don't make $$$" excuse, and don't even bother trying anymore...

liL Ray
03-02-2004, 12:34 PM
aren't we beating this point on the other thread already....

TAC
03-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Man you sure are whining today...

Bill Blake
03-02-2004, 12:36 PM
The scary thing is that Matt J is good to his guest. RIP MAtt :(

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by liL Ray:
aren't we beating this point on the other thread already.... Figured more people will see it and participate if it has its own thread than checking the other non-related topic...

darrow
03-02-2004, 12:41 PM
The question implies that there is less respect coming from the host/promoter/resident dj for guest DJs now than there was back then (whenever that was). Is this decline in respect really happening?

I haven't experienced any overall change in respect given to me as a guest, but I've only had the opportunity to guest in my local area. Maybe it's different when you travel.

TAC
03-02-2004, 12:43 PM
For cyring out loud, you want respect!!!!

Its DJing for Christ sake. You want respect, learn a profession, come up with a cure for cancer, or the like. Otherwise, it just whiney bullsh*t.

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by TAC:

Its DJing for Christ sake. You want respect, learn a profession, come up with a cure for cancer, or the like. Otherwise, it just whiney bullsh*t. When you guest DJ'd at H*****n, didn't you bitch about it to me? You had complaints right? It's not about demanding respect, it's just about not getting disrespected...

[ March 02, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Bande-A-Part_ NYC ]

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Hey Ritchie,

I have a Sunday night party in DC called The Underground Soul Solution. I 've been doing the party.....going on 7 years.

I treat ALL of my guest djs as I wanted to be treated......With RESPECT.

I ALWAYS let him or her shine.

Now if they suck......It's their Funeral.

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Sam The Man Burns:

graemlins/beerchug.gif

Tee Mallory
03-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Bande-A-Part_ NYC:
If I am the guest, I prefer to know ahead of time what I can expect. Some cash maybe, cab fare? If not cause your party does that poorly at the bar, how about a car ride and an offer to do extra promotion for me that night? You catch my drift?

Seems like promoters aren't even giving you that respect anymore, just getting lazy and riding off the "deep don't make $$$" excuse, and don't even bother trying anymore... I get your drift.

TM

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Man you sure are whining today... TAC, He's got issues.......

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 12:53 PM
let him vent........

Cordell
03-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Hey Ritchie,

I have a Sunday night party in DC called The Underground Soul Solution. I 've been doing the party.....going on 7 years.

I treat ALL of my guest djs as I wanted to be treated......With RESPECT.

My thing is, do guest djs return the favor after you let them get on??

Now if they suck......It's their Funeral.

Cordell
03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
I meant to say:
My thing is, do guest djs return the favor after you let them get on??

TAC
03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TAC:

Its DJing for Christ sake. You want respect, learn a profession, come up with a cure for cancer, or the like. Otherwise, it just whiney bullsh*t. When you guest DJ'd at Halcyon, didn't you bitch about it to me? You had complaints right? It's not about demanding respect, it's just about not getting disrespected... </font>[/QUOTE]I was a guest??? I did not know I was a guest. I thought I was the "Feature." Anyway, yea, I didn't b*tch, I called it like it was that they were a bunch of p*ssies. While I'm playing they're tweaking the system for music having varying levels. They're adjusting the sound cause you supposidly over driving it, which wasn't the case. Besides, they had all day to set sh*t up...

Anyhoo, I ain't been back since cause that's some pum pum sh*t. Seen it all the time, i.e., someone comes in and starts beating out your sound system better than "you," so you start to sabotage and engage in subterfuge.

Stop b*tching and play the music. Get over it. There could be a lot worse things happening to you.

I don't believe I gotta come of hiatus for this crap.....

imported_Chr_stopher
03-02-2004, 01:00 PM
i think there should be a mutual respect.\

c-

kara
03-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Cordell:
I meant to say:
My thing is, do guest djs return the favor after you let them get on?? HEAR THAT QUESTION ECHO

(good one cordell)

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 01:03 PM
I meant to say:
My thing is, do guest djs return the favor after you let them get on?? some do and some don't.

kara
03-02-2004, 01:06 PM
i cant imagine a club and dj NOT respecting their guest dj ... whyd they bring him in? thats kinda weird to think they'd be anything but smile.gif

(clarification .. him or HER smile.gif )

[ March 02, 2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: kara ]

Cordell
03-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by kara:
i cant imagine a club and dj NOT respecting their guest dj ... whyd they bring him in? thats kinda weird to think they'd be anything but smile.gif

(clarification .. him or HER smile.gif ) It happens every now and then.

Cordell
03-02-2004, 01:10 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cordell:
I meant to say:
My thing is, do guest djs return the favor after you let them get on?? some do and some don't. </font>[/QUOTE]True, but it makes you take notes for future reference.

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 01:17 PM
i cant imagine a club and dj NOT respecting their guest dj ... whyd they bring him in? thats kinda weird to think they'd be anything but smile.gif But those unfortune things happen.......

Just get over it, It will be other parties and clubs to conquer. There are other doors that will open for you if you stay focused and believe in yourself.

Don't dwell on somebody who overlooked you, or dismissed you......FUCK THEM! PRESS ON!

TAC
03-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Just get over it, It will be other parties and clubs to conquer. There are other doors that will open for you if you stay focused and believe in yourself.

Don't dwell on somebody who overlooked you, or dismissed you......FUCK THEM! PRESS ON! Right here. Sam dropping the words of wisdom. Move the f*ck on..

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 01:23 PM
and I STILL agree with TAC..........I SUCK!

TAC
03-02-2004, 01:26 PM
and I STILL agree with TAC..........I SUCK! Na wbro, you were too good to me when I lived in Dc and shopped at 12".

Nuff respect is due to one of the original Generals in the DJ army!!!

Tee Mallory
03-02-2004, 01:36 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kara:
i cant imagine a club and dj NOT respecting their guest dj ... whyd they bring him in? thats kinda weird to think they'd be anything but smile.gif But those unfortune things happen.......

Don't dwell on somebody who overlooked you, or dismissed you......FUCK THEM! PRESS ON! </font>[/QUOTE]I'm with you 100% on this. Keep it moving.

I'd also like to add in your future endeavors as a professional dj to pay attention to what is actually being offered. If it's a startup spot with no pay let them tell you as much.

Use your previous gigs as food for thought when you make future engagements. Make notes of things that went against you with past negotiations/gigs and ask questions about things that concern you which are not clearly spelled out (promotion, etc.).

As you continue on your path you should be able to formulate a basis to determine which situations are best for you and which situations are not.

Peace

TM

DaveR
03-02-2004, 01:43 PM
I meant to say:
My thing is, do guest djs return the favor after you let them get on?? Hey wo wo wo ... (for the record here, I'm a favor doer and returner), but when did this become about returning favors ? ... Bande's post is about respecting a guest - now this appears to take on a bartering aspect

Hmmm ... is this about letting a Guest DJ shine, in hopes that that person will let you shine where you want to shine ? ... graemlins/rofl5.gif but serious ...

DR

[ March 02, 2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: DaveR ]

DJ RON C
03-02-2004, 01:48 PM
I've read this entire post and I don't understand the question or the responses. Is the question, "why don't name djs get respect" or "why should name djs get respect"

Clarity? graemlins/cool_shades.gif

jpsf
03-02-2004, 02:00 PM
aside from not getting paid the guarantee i have a pet peeve with some dj/promoters.

if you book someone as a guest dj, especially if you put them on the flier as the feature...don't put yourself on at the main time. that i think is disrespecful. using someone else to bring people in and then you play the main time? what's up with that?

drilla
03-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Jamie Lennox:
The scary thing is that Matt J is good to his guest. RIP MAtt :( thanks dawg!

you are on the list for the roof top parties this summer!!

whoohoo..we are gonna get so arrested!!!

Cordell
03-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by DaveR:
I meant to say:
My thing is, do guest djs return the favor after you let them get on?? Hey wo wo wo ... (for the record here, I'm a favor doer and returner), but when did this become about returning favors ? ... Bande's post is about respecting a guest - now this appears to take on a bartering aspect

Hmmm ... is this about letting a Guest DJ shine, in hopes that that person will let you shine where you want to shine ? ... graemlins/rofl5.gif but serious ...

DR </font>[/QUOTE]Seriously, I don't understand how a guest dj not shine unless he's awful. Gettin respect? To me, if a guest gets the opprotunity to play and he doesn't play out on a regular, how is that disrespect?? If a guest feels slighted then he say something about and move on.
To answer your question, there should be some sort of buddy system if you're respected as a dj. It doesn't happen a lot of times but it makes you wonder what certain people are really on. There are "djs" that are quick to ask you for a guest spot, but when they land something that's regular, you won't hear from them until they feel its time for them to do a guest spot at your party.

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM

Don't dwell on somebody who overlooked you, or dismissed you......FUCK THEM! PRESS ON! </font>[/QUOTE]i guess my "book me, bitch!" ad campaign didn't work too well with the DOg "CLUB RED" SMiff. back to the drawing board.

kara
03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I meant to say:

DR </font>[/QUOTE]dave, maybe this means coming to ladylike since the ladies came to see you - reciprocal treatment

'who let the dawgs out ...'

graemlins/rofl5.gif

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 02:25 PM
AHahahahahahaha......

And
03-02-2004, 02:28 PM
AHahahahahahaha...... x 2

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :(

DaveR
03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Seriously, I don't understand how a guest dj not shine unless he's awful. Gettin respect? To me, if a guest gets the opprotunity to play and he doesn't play out on a regular, how is that disrespect?? If a guest feels slighted then he say something about and move on.
To answer your question, there should be some sort of buddy system if you're respected as a dj. It doesn't happen a lot of times but it makes you wonder what certain people are really on. There are "djs" that are quick to ask you for a guest spot, but when they land something that's regular, you won't hear from them until they feel its time for them to do a guest spot at your party. I agree with just about everything you explained up there - was just clarifying that this thread (to me) was about a particular guest DJ feeling disrespected ... and that reciprocity (when it comes to "implied expectations of a return DJing favor" down the road) is another issue all together ...

DaveR
03-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Go have another drink and a prescription pill ... graemlins/rofl.gif ... weeez having a serious discussion up in here ... graemlins/bolt.gif

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 02:32 PM
TAC: I'm not bitching about an incident that happened to me, just opening this to discussion.

You should know I am not passive agressive like that.

And
03-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by DOUG GOMEZ:
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( What kind of cookie? Please say Oatmeal raisin.

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 02:36 PM
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( LOL, you were lucky to have soup and a cookie to nurish your body.

TAC
03-02-2004, 02:37 PM
TAC: I'm not bitching about an incident that happened to me, just opening this to discussion.

You should know I am not passive agressive like that. Just get everybody else bitching right!!!

You still one funny kid...

JMJ
03-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 6 23:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DOUG GOMEZ:
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( What kind of cookie? Please say Oatmeal raisin. </font>[/QUOTE]I love oatmeal raisin cookies......JMJ ;)

kara
03-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Go have another drink and a prescription pill ... graemlins/rofl.gif ... weeez having a serious discussion up in here ... graemlins/bolt.gif </font>[/QUOTE]thats so random ... ? 3:47 ... happy hour is so far away

dave...serious ... uh huh

[ March 02, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: kara ]

JoeB
03-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Anyway, yea, I didn't b*tch, I called it like it was that they were a bunch of p*ssies. While I'm playing they're tweaking the system for music having varying levels. They're adjusting the sound cause you supposidly over driving it, which wasn't the case. Besides, they had all day to set sh*t up...

Anyhoo, I ain't been back since cause that's some pum pum sh*t. Seen it all the time, i.e., someone comes in and starts beating out your sound system better than "you," so you start to sabotage and engage in subterfuge.

sounds like bitching to me. graemlins/acclaim.gif

And
03-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by JMJ:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 6 23:
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( What kind of cookie? Please say Oatmeal raisin. </font>[/QUOTE]I love oatmeal raisin cookies......JMJ ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Me too. I'll pick it anytime over Chocolate chip .. and er Sugar cookies? WTF? mad1.gif

icon_rofl.gif

richierich
03-02-2004, 02:41 PM
oops I hit the buton too soon It's continued on the next page.

[ March 02, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: richierich ]

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by JoeB:
Anyway, yea, I didn't b*tch, I called it like it was that they were a bunch of p*ssies. While I'm playing they're tweaking the system for music having varying levels. They're adjusting the sound cause you supposidly over driving it, which wasn't the case. Besides, they had all day to set sh*t up...

sounds like bitching to me. graemlins/acclaim.gif </font>[/QUOTE]hahaha T!

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 02:42 PM
oreo cookies hooooo!!!

TAC
03-02-2004, 02:43 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JoeB:

sounds like bitching to me. graemlins/acclaim.gif </font>[/QUOTE]hahaha T! </font>[/QUOTE]But I kept it moving... I ain't stuck in the mud...

Furthermore, EAT ME!!!!

richierich
03-02-2004, 02:44 PM
As far as reciprocity..I don't agree..If I offer you a guest spot it's NOT because I expect you to return the favor..it's because I think that you have something positive to bring to the party....If you hire me as a guest and I don't like the way that you spin..I aint puttin' you on just because you put me on..You gotta know how to beat the box ..plain and simple...All this favor stuff is why we are hearing all these mediocre jocks or cats spinning for the first time...it aint about favors it's about ROCKING a party.

JMJ
Originally posted by richierich:
As far as reciprocity..I don't agree..If I offer yopu a guest spot it's NOT because I expect you to return the favor..it's because Agreed. Same as if I give you some music. I do it because I WANT to, not because I want or expect anything in return......JMJ smile.gif

DaveR
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by richierich:
As far as reciprocity..I don't agree..If I offer yopu a guest spot it's NOT because I expect you to return the favor..it's because Agreed. Same as if I give you some music. I do it because I WANT to, not because I want or expect anything in return......JMJ smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]graemlins/acclaim.gif

Jamie 3:26
03-02-2004, 02:47 PM
oreo cookies hooooo!!! Nilla Wafers are still best in milk......JMJ :D </font>[/QUOTE]Or pudding....

JMJ
03-02-2004, 02:47 PM
oreo cookies hooooo!!! Nilla Wafers are still best in milk......JMJ :D

jpsf
03-02-2004, 02:48 PM
As far as reciprocity..I don't agree..If I offer you a guest spot it's NOT because I expect you to return the favor..it's because I think that you have something positive to bring to the party....If you hire me as a guest and I don't like the way that you spin..I aint puttin' you on just because you put me on..You gotta know how to beat the box ..plain and simple...All this favor stuff is why we are hearing all these mediocre jocks or cats spinning for the first time...it aint about favors it's about ROCKING a party. i think you gotta be good, sure, but i think favors are a real part of the industry as well.

JMJ
03-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Jamie 3:26:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JMJ:
oreo cookies hooooo!!! Nilla Wafers are still best in milk......JMJ :D </font>[/QUOTE]Or pudding.... </font>[/QUOTE]Right! Forgot all about that.....JMJ ;)

richierich
03-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Favors are why cats are NOT getting paid....(no money exchanging hands))EARN the right to spin at somebody's spot by having ....SKILLS!!!

[ March 02, 2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: richierich ]

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 02:52 PM
i love dem peanut butter cookies

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 02:53 PM
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( LOL, you were lucky to have soup and a cookie to nurish your body. </font>[/QUOTE]it was kosher and organic.. all veggies.. good for your health, bitch!!! assholes should really learn to appreciate. not to mention, you killed the foot-traffic there for me.

JMJ
03-02-2004, 02:53 PM
i love dem peanut butter cookies Girl Scout peanut butter cookies are the best......JMJ smile.gif

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 02:55 PM

sounds like bitching to me. graemlins/acclaim.gif </font>[/QUOTE]totes. enough with that ***** **** ***** shit alre**y! T*C = S*CK S**T

And
03-02-2004, 02:55 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jamie 3:26:
oreo cookies hooooo!!! Nilla Wafers are still best in milk......JMJ :D </font>[/QUOTE]Or pudding.... </font>[/QUOTE]Right! Forgot all about that.....JMJ ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Once you've tried this brand of yogurt pudding might take the back seat. Also great with cookies.

http://yoplait.com/images/products/custard/img_Custard.gif

Blackberry, raspberry flavours are great. Probably not great with Oreos though ...

And
03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
My bad, now it's about the soup. Organic sounds good, veggies? Gotta love 'em. So what kind of soup?

JMJ
03-02-2004, 02:58 PM
oreo cookies hooooo!!! Nilla Wafers are still best in milk......JMJ :D </font>[/QUOTE]Or pudding.... </font>[/QUOTE]Right! Forgot all about that.....JMJ ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Once you've tried this brand of yogurt pudding might take the back seat. Also great with cookies.

Blackberry, raspberry flavours are great. Probably not great with Oreos though ... </font>[/QUOTE]I don't really do yogurt, unless it doesn't really taste yogurty like frozen yogurt......JMJ

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I had a friend that DJ'd in Turkey and part of his bonus once he was done spinning his set, was a beautiful call girl as a present from the mobsters that booked him to play out there.

TAC
03-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by statuskuo:

sounds like bitching to me. graemlins/acclaim.gif </font>[/QUOTE]totes. enough with that ***** **** ***** shit alre**y! T*C = S*CK S**T </font>[/QUOTE]Word keep it moving....

Addendum: EAT ME, KAI!!!!

And
03-02-2004, 03:04 PM

Blackberry, raspberry flavours are great. Probably not great with Oreos though ... </font>[/QUOTE]I don't really do yogurt, unless it doesn't really taste yogurty like frozen yogurt......JMJ </font>[/QUOTE]How does one "do" yogurt?

jpsf
03-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Favors are why cats are NOT getting paid....(no money exchanging hands))EARN the right to spin at somebody's spot by having ....SKILLS!!! on top of having skills, you don't think there is an element of djs reciprocating by hooking each other up with gigs?

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sam The Man Burns:
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( LOL, you were lucky to have soup and a cookie to nurish your body. </font>[/QUOTE]it was kosher and organic.. all veggies.. good for your health, bitch!!! assholes should really learn to appreciate. not to mention, you killed the foot-traffic there for me. </font>[/QUOTE]why are you calling sam a bitch? you are not nice kai

JMJ
03-02-2004, 03:07 PM

Blackberry, raspberry flavours are great. Probably not great with Oreos though ... </font>[/QUOTE]I don't really do yogurt, unless it doesn't really taste yogurty like frozen yogurt......JMJ </font>[/QUOTE]How does one "do" yogurt? </font>[/QUOTE]Slowly, so you don't spill......JMJ biggrinangel.gif

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 03:12 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by statuskuo:
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( LOL, you were lucky to have soup and a cookie to nurish your body. </font>[/QUOTE]it was kosher and organic.. all veggies.. good for your health, bitch!!! assholes should really learn to appreciate. not to mention, you killed the foot-traffic there for me. </font>[/QUOTE]why are you calling sam a bitch? you are not nice kai </font>[/QUOTE]shut it.
yo, i am stopping by LJ tomorrow.. can i bring a few records?

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 03:14 PM
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( LOL, you were lucky to have soup and a cookie to nurish your body. </font>[/QUOTE]it was kosher and organic.. all veggies.. good for your health, bitch!!! assholes should really learn to appreciate. not to mention, you killed the foot-traffic there for me. </font>[/QUOTE]why are you calling sam a bitch? you are not nice kai </font>[/QUOTE]shut it.
yo, i am stopping by LJ tomorrow.. can i bring a few records? </font>[/QUOTE]:( we are off tomorrow

D J 1 3 8
03-02-2004, 03:15 PM
I had a friend that DJ'd in Turkey and part of his bonus once he was done spinning his set, was a beautiful call girl as a present from the mobsters that booked him to play out there. I DJ'd this Harlem gagnster's party on a boat around Manhattan once. In addition to my fee, he told me I could have all the coke and blowjobs I wanted. While I was pondering this generous offer, a bunch of his hoes got in a knife-fight on the boat. No lie. It looked like that scene in Coffy, with all the men cheering and everything.

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by DJ 138:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bande-A-Part_ NYC:
I had a friend that DJ'd in Turkey and part of his bonus once he was done spinning his set, was a beautiful call girl as a present from the mobsters that booked him to play out there. I DJ'd this Harlem gagnster's party on a boat around Manhattan once. In addition to my fee, he told me I could have all the coke and blowjobs I wanted. While I was pondering this generous offer, a bunch of his hoes got in a knife-fight on the boat. No lie. It looked like that scene in Coffy, with all the men cheering and everything. </font>[/QUOTE]that's dope!

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Now that's respecting the DJ!

And
03-02-2004, 03:32 PM

Blackberry, raspberry flavours are great. Probably not great with Oreos though ... </font>[/QUOTE]I don't really do yogurt, unless it doesn't really taste yogurty like frozen yogurt......JMJ </font>[/QUOTE]How does one "do" yogurt? </font>[/QUOTE]Slowly, so you don't spill......JMJ biggrinangel.gif </font>[/QUOTE]http://sovrana.com/spill.jpg

You have spoken and I have read. ;)

JoeB
03-02-2004, 03:34 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bande-A-Part_ NYC:
I had a friend that DJ'd in Turkey and part of his bonus once he was done spinning his set, was a beautiful call girl as a present from the mobsters that booked him to play out there. I DJ'd this Harlem gagnster's party on a boat around Manhattan once. In addition to my fee, he told me I could have all the coke and blowjobs I wanted. While I was pondering this generous offer, a bunch of his hoes got in a knife-fight on the boat. No lie. It looked like that scene in Coffy, with all the men cheering and everything. </font>[/QUOTE]house needs more events like this!

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 03:35 PM
totes!

DaveR
03-02-2004, 03:35 PM
I DJ'd this Harlem gagnster's party on a boat around Manhattan once. In addition to my fee, he told me I could have all the coke and blowjobs I wanted. While I was pondering this generous offer, a bunch of his hoes got in a knife-fight on the boat. No lie. It looked like that scene in Coffy, with all the men cheering and everything. But did you DJ @ peak ? ... did the knife fight open for you ?

DR

D J 1 3 8
03-02-2004, 03:41 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DJ 138:
I DJ'd this Harlem gagnster's party on a boat around Manhattan once. In addition to my fee, he told me I could have all the coke and blowjobs I wanted. While I was pondering this generous offer, a bunch of his hoes got in a knife-fight on the boat. No lie. It looked like that scene in Coffy, with all the men cheering and everything. But did you DJ @ peak ? ... did the knife fight open for you ?

DR </font>[/QUOTE]See, the thing was, the knife fight kinda killed my chances of accepting the blowjob offer, cuz them girls was in no mood to sex me up after all that drama. Technically, I guess I opened AND closed for the knife fight, since the music was stopped for most of the fight.

[ March 02, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: DJ 138 ]

DJ George Bates
03-02-2004, 03:42 PM
I think that if someone guest with you / for you ...make damn sure that they feel valued @ the end of the experience...

This shit ain't easy ! Don't treat someone like it is either !

DaveR
03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
since the music was stopeed for most of the fight. So you was messin' with the system (tweakin it and shit) while they were doing their set ?

DR

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 03:47 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DaveR:

DR </font>[/QUOTE]See, the thing was, the knife fight kinda killed my chances of accepting the blowjob offer, cuz them girls was in no mood to sex me up after all that drama. Technically, I guess I opened AND closed for the knife fight, since the music was stopeed for most of the fight. </font>[/QUOTE]wait! matt told me you like dudes?

D J 1 3 8
03-02-2004, 03:47 PM
since the music was stopeed for most of the fight. So you was messin' with the system (tweakin it and shit) while they were doing their set ?

DR </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, I was trying to bring in the bass only for the knife jabs, but ride the highs for the hair pulling.

JMJ
03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DaveR:

DR </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, I was trying to bring in the bass only for the knife jabs, but ride the highs for the hair pulling. </font>[/QUOTE]Another reason to always carry Carl Douglas records in your crate.......JMJ

D J 1 3 8
03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
wait! matt told me you like dudes? Ya know, I've been getting that vibe from him for a minute now. Those "soooooo...you work out a lot, right?" kinda questions and shit. I figured I didn't wanna start any drama between he and Tenyu, so I just duck the questions. I'm not judging, though. Whatever floats your boat.

djmarbll
03-02-2004, 03:59 PM
I know when I had guest dj's for the poetry parties (which was EVERY party), I showed them respect by actually opening up for them every time. That gave me more time to party. As far as the favor being returned, I wasn't looking for that.

Sam The Man Burns
03-02-2004, 04:06 PM
i remember fillin in for a dj @ halcyon at more than one occasion and all i got was a bowl of soup and a cookie :( LOL, you were lucky to have soup and a cookie to nurish your body. </font>[/QUOTE]it was kosher and organic.. all veggies.. good for your health, bitch!!! assholes should really learn to appreciate. not to mention, you killed the foot-traffic there for me. </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you Kai, I will continue to work hard to piss crybabies off!

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 04:12 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed?

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 04:13 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed? RIP LJ foot traffic.

DaveR
03-02-2004, 04:15 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed? YES ! ... bias speaking b/c I have done that before - graemlins/lol.gif - matter of fact, try mixin in "Crush on You" the Jets - it works ... but not at +8 smile.gif

DR

JoeB
03-02-2004, 04:18 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed? THAT SHIT IS SO PLAYED OUT!!!

DaveR
03-02-2004, 04:19 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed? THAT SHIT IS SO PLAYED OUT!!! </font>[/QUOTE]Dats why it's funny ... I don't think Doug is actually talking about seriously putting it in a set, thinkin it's hype - or do you Doug ? ... LOL

JoeB
03-02-2004, 04:20 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed? THAT SHIT IS SO PLAYED OUT!!! </font>[/QUOTE]Dats why it's funny ... I don't think Doug is actually talking about seriously putting it in a set, thinkin it's hype - or do you Doug ? ... LOL </font>[/QUOTE]i know exactly what's he talking about, dave. i was just talking shit. graemlins/acclaim.gif

D J 1 3 8
03-02-2004, 04:22 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed? Was it "let The Beat Hit 'Em"?

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 04:23 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed? THAT SHIT IS SO PLAYED OUT!!! </font>[/QUOTE]Dats why it's funny ... I don't think Doug is actually talking about seriously putting it in a set, thinkin it's hype - or do you Doug ? ... LOL </font>[/QUOTE]im not tALking about me!!!!

DaveR
03-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Respect the DJ that plays any 80s stuff, during the peak of a house set ... means he/she is confident like a MF, a bit nuts, or drunk as a skunk ! ... or all of the above
graemlins/OLA.gif

[ March 02, 2004, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: DaveR ]

Bande-A-Part_NYC
03-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Respect the DJ that plays any 80s stuff, during the peak of a house set ... means he/she is confident like a MF, a bit nuts, or drunk as a skunk ! ... or all of the above
graemlins/OLA.gif Def come down to Loose Joints. This has happened more than once!

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 04:33 PM
wait! matt told me you like dudes? Ya know, I've been getting that vibe from him for a minute now. Those "soooooo...you work out a lot, right?" kinda questions and shit. I figured I didn't wanna start any drama between he and Tenyu, so I just duck the questions. I'm not judging, though. Whatever floats your boat. </font>[/QUOTE]yup.. that matt doesn;t lie.

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 04:35 PM
should we respect guest djs who mix lisa lisa & the cult jam with house records and at +8 speed? RIP LJ foot traffic. </font>[/QUOTE]:(
hmmmmmm what does it tell you when two people (partners) get sick at the same time? = RIP foot-traffic + tenyu incessant pitch-controling every record at +/- 6 increments thruout the 4-min song (early house records).

statuskuo
03-02-2004, 04:37 PM
graemlins/OLA.gif SUMT!
graemlins/OLA.gif doug, go make out with Richie

JoeB
03-02-2004, 04:38 PM
GOODFOOT R.I.P.

Drrtynewyork
03-02-2004, 04:51 PM
what about people who keep promising to come to our parties with 3 girls and never show??

Cordell
03-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Favors are why cats are NOT getting paid....(no money exchanging hands))EARN the right to spin at somebody's spot by having ....SKILLS!!! That's where respect comes in!

Cordell
03-02-2004, 05:49 PM
As far as reciprocity..I don't agree..If I offer you a guest spot it's NOT because I expect you to return the favor..it's because I think that you have something positive to bring to the party....If you hire me as a guest and I don't like the way that you spin..I aint puttin' you on just because you put me on..You gotta know how to beat the box ..plain and simple...All this favor stuff is why we are hearing all these mediocre jocks or cats spinning for the first time...it aint about favors it's about ROCKING a party. Let me clarify something, The whole reason for having a guest dj is because you RESPECT the fact that this person can put together a good set of music... If money is your motivation for gettin guest spots then there will always be frustrated guest djs... You have an option to say YES I want to play or NO I want this amount of money for my time. I agree that guest should get paid, but it may not be what they want. My thing about favors is, does this person give others a chance to be a guest at his/her function?? It doesn't hurt to do favors IF you RESPECT a person's dj skills. Nobody has done shit for me, I like to think that I've earned one or two people's RESPECT as a dj.
Again, I see cats doing guest spots all over the city and some have a residence to... I don't see them "returning favors".

JoeB
03-02-2004, 06:17 PM
what about people who keep promising to come to our parties with 3 girls and never show?? graemlins/bolt.gif

Light Skinted Wif Good Hur
03-02-2004, 06:30 PM
oreo cookies hooooo!!! Nilla Wafers are still best in milk......JMJ :D </font>[/QUOTE]I'll fade you all with some home made Monster Cookies! Peanut butter, oatmeal, M&M's, and chocolate chips--all in one!

däp
03-02-2004, 08:26 PM
As far as reciprocity..I don't agree..If I offer you a guest spot it's NOT because I expect you to return the favor..it's because I think that you have something positive to bring to the party....If you hire me as a guest and I don't like the way that you spin..I aint puttin' you on just because you put me on..You gotta know how to beat the box ..plain and simple...All this favor stuff is why we are hearing all these mediocre jocks or cats spinning for the first time...it aint about favors it's about ROCKING a party. would you play as the invited guest of someone you didn't respect as a dj?

good business is good business.

[ March 02, 2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: däp ]