PDA

View Full Version : Computer expertise needed

Doug
10-30-2004, 07:55 PM
What could possibly be causing the display on my laptop to develop a flickering, reddish-pink tint that engulfs the white space of any Windows application I use (including the text box in which I am typing this message)? What can I do to fix it?

smithies
10-30-2004, 07:58 PM
How old is it?

Doug
10-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by smithies:
How old is it? Less than a year and half old. But I've already had the motherboard and the hard drive replaced.

smithies
10-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Laptops have liquid crystal displays that are very sensitive to temperature and voltage. If you've had the motherboard replaced, good chance that the voltage might be screwy. Have it looked at by a technician.

If you have a home network, try to remote desktop to the laptop from the desktop computer. If the display is normal, it's most definitely an electrical problem.

To remote desktop to your laptop, connect to your home network. Make sure you have an account with a password on the laptop and make sure the laptop has a name in it's network identity.

From the desktop, start, all programs, accessories, communication, remote desktop connection... type your computer's name and then log-in.

But an easier way would be to connect a monitor to the laptop's secondary video output if it came with one. If the secondary connection is clear, the problem is the lcd screen itself.

[ October 30, 2004, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: smithies ]

Doug
10-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Laptops have liquid crystal displays that are very sensitive to temperature and voltage. If you've had the motherboard replaced, good chance that the voltage might be screwy. Have it looked at by a technician.

If you have a home network, try to remote desktop to the laptop from the desktop computer. If the display is normal, it's most definitely an electrical problem.

To remote desktop to your laptop, connect to your home network. Make sure you have an account with a password on the laptop and make sure the laptop has a name in it's network identity.

From the desktop, start, all programs, accessories, communication, remote desktop connection... type your computer's name and then log-in.

But an easier way would be to connect a monitor to the laptop's secondary video output if it came with one. If the secondary connection is clear, the problem is the lcd screen itself. Thanks for the advice. It's weird problem because it it intermittent. For example, it was gone just a minute ago as I began to type this, but it has now reappeared. I hope it isn't the LCD screen...

Doug
10-30-2004, 09:17 PM
One last question: Could the touch pad on the laptop have something to do with it? It seems as if the problem disappears if I move the mouse pointer with the touch pad a certain way.

smithies
10-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Doug:
One last question: Could the touch pad on the laptop have something to do with it? It seems as if the problem disappears if I move the mouse pointer with the touch pad a certain way. It definitley sounds like a voltage issue. Not that it would matter much, but does this also happne when you have the unit plugged in to an AC outlet?

Doug
10-30-2004, 09:23 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Doug:
One last question: Could the touch pad on the laptop have something to do with it? It seems as if the problem disappears if I move the mouse pointer with the touch pad a certain way. It definitley sounds like a voltage issue. Not that it would matter much, but does this also happne when you have the unit plugged in to an AC outlet? </font>[/QUOTE]It's plugged into an AC outlet right now. Let me see what happens when I unplug it...

Doug
10-30-2004, 09:27 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by smithies:
One last question: Could the touch pad on the laptop have something to do with it? It seems as if the problem disappears if I move the mouse pointer with the touch pad a certain way. It definitley sounds like a voltage issue. Not that it would matter much, but does this also happne when you have the unit plugged in to an AC outlet? </font>[/QUOTE]It's plugged into an AC outlet right now. Let me see what happens when I unplug it... </font>[/QUOTE]OK...it's unplugged and the problem seems to have disappeared. I did notice an occasional flicker right after I unplugged it, but nothing since. I've got about an hour on my battery. Let's see what happens...

BTW, thanks for your help. :D You've given me better advice in 5 minutes than I received all evening on HP Active Chat. mad1.gif

smithies
10-30-2004, 09:33 PM
No problem. I work with this kind of stuff everyday but I'm not a tech. They have voltage meters and can tell you what chip is messed up or if the LCD needs to be replaced. Hopefully, this is related to the replaced mother board and not expensive to fix. But the LCD would be. See if you're still under warrenty.

Look out and see if the problem becomes more frequent; if so, then I'm 99% sure it's an electrical problem.

[ October 30, 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: smithies ]

Doug
10-30-2004, 09:39 PM
No problem. I work with this kind of stuff everyday but I'm not a tech. They have voltage meters and can tell you what chip is messed up or if the LCD needs to be replaced. Hopefully, this is related to the replaced mother board and not expensive to fix. But the LCD would be. See if you're still under warrenty.

Look out and see if the problem becomes more frequent; if so, then I'm 99% sure it's an electrical problem. The problem has definitely become more frequent in the last week or so. I have an extended warranty through Best Buy, but to be honest, I'm afraid to take it back to them. Those fuckers had my computer for FOUR WEEKS the last time I took it in. When I got it back, the wireless modem card wasn't seated properly and this monitor shit started happening. I'd rather just pay someone else to look at it.

Peace,

Doug

BTW, nothing has happened since I've had it unplugged. Do you think replacing the AC adapter might make a difference? My adapter appears to have a short in it.

smithies
10-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Well, AC current doesn't have a negative or a positive, it just alternates from side to side. But if their is a ground (three prong plug) make sure it is actually grounded in your house. At this point, could be lack of grounding that's messed something up. And, if the problem is getting worse, something (chip?) is burning out and soon won't work. The thing need to get plugged into an oscilloscope for diagnosis. I also hear you on the extended warranty thing. Itís a real pain. mad1.gif

Doug
10-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Well, AC current doesn't have a negative or a positive, it just alternates from side to side. But if their is a ground (three prong plug) make sure it is actually grounded in your house. At this point, could be lack of grounding that's messed something up. And, if the problem is getting worse, something (chip?) is burning out and soon won't work. The thing need to get plugged into an oscilloscope for diagnosis. I also hear you on the extended warranty thing. Itís a real pain. mad1.gif Well, I hope it's just a grounding issue. What I have noticed is that, occasionally, I'll have to play with AC cord in order to make the charging light on my laptop come on. FWIW, I think I may replace it.

BTW, 30 minutes on batt. power and no issues... :rolleyes:

Doug
10-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Spoke too soon. The tint it back... mad1.gif

smithies
10-30-2004, 10:06 PM
I'll have to play with AC cord in order to make the charging light on my laptop come on. FWIW, I think I may replace it.

BTW, 30 minutes on batt. power and no issues... :rolleyes: Definitely! Do that first. A frayed chord causes all kinds of problems, especially if it's recharging the battery. But also, look up how long the life of your batter is supposed to be. Also, check the input where you actually plug the chord to the laptop, it could be worn out and need to get replaced, that's internal though. Jiggle it a little bit (now that's a good song!) at that point and see if the picture blinks. Problem could also be there.

smithies
10-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Spoke too soon. The tint it back... mad1.gif Well then. A service call is in order graemlins/oops.gif

Doug
10-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Spoke too soon. The tint it back... mad1.gif Well then. A service call is in order graemlins/oops.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Shit...you don't suppose the issue now could be that I'm low on power, do you?

BigPoppa
10-31-2004, 08:51 PM
My friend had an IBM laptop that developed a tint similar to what you describe. Turns out it was the LCD connection to the motherboard. While I ended up fixing it, its definitely not user fixable stuff usually. Do what the other person suggested, plug in a different monitor to the other connection on the computer and see if it still does it.