PDA

View Full Version : Summer's coming...is your ass working out?

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Just checking...

I'd like to see less of some of us @ the DHP and/or Chosen Few picnics this year...including myself. The Disco Gut and Deep House Thighs have got to go. ;)

Some good ideas beyond the gym: Dance classes!!!!!! The hip hop/funk/house dance instructor at the Old Town School of Folk Music is trying to kill me...for real. graemlins/rofl.gif West African dance ain't no punk, either.

Oh, and tennis is great exercise too. Lots of clubs/parks have lessons available now and into spring.

[ March 17, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Discogoddess ]

Dolemite73
03-17-2004, 02:40 PM
I am running about 15 miles a week. But Marines have to be in shape so that is normal for me.

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Dolemite73:
...But Marines have to be in shape so that is normal for me. Which is why they look so cute in uniform... ;)

But, stop showing off...damn already-fit person! graemlins/tongueout.gif

[ March 17, 2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Discogoddess ]

Ronnie Ron
03-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha Hell NAW my gutt is in full effect. im trying to go for the good eating Look..... but good news i just ordered Fitness mades simple...... lets see how long my back can hold out. im gonna give it a try but i just cant stop eating... ha ha ha ha ha ha graemlins/grinyes.gif

R-R

Leslie
03-17-2004, 02:43 PM
West African Dance used to kick my rear end! No joke indeed. I wish I could find another class near me. Been doing Pilates since January - however I need to do more, I could stand to lose a few.

likewater
03-17-2004, 02:45 PM
I had to stop working out due to the death of my running partner.. we did walking, running and calastetics in the nieghborhood park... this april I will be starting back up again I miss it....
so far my dancing is keeping me in shape.. I plan on holding on to this size 10 for a while :D

I want to get pair of roller skates(good for the thighs)..
and hit the black top... smile.gif

[ March 17, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: likewater ]

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Leslie:
West African Dance used to kick my rear end! No joke indeed. I wish I could find another class near me. Been doing Pilates since January - however I need to do more, I could stand to lose a few. How do you like Pilates, Leslie? I'm considering signing up for either that or yoga next month. Like the core-strengthening of Pilates, but dig the stretching of the yoga poses (am a novice to both). Trying to relieve stress from old car accident injuries, and tone.

likewater
03-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Dolemite73:
I am running about 15 miles a week. But Marines have to be in shape so that is normal for me. You got Muscles.. graemlins/remybussi.gif graemlins/cool_shades.gif

Fletch
03-17-2004, 02:51 PM
30-35 miles/week running. Thinking about getting back into competition.

Oh, yeah, back to the gym for strength training.

And need to do some speedwork around the track:

12x400 meters one Saturday

or

4x400
5x300
6x200 another Saturday

or

speed pickups in Prospect Park the third Saturday!

[ March 17, 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Fletch ]

Friday
03-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Discogoddess:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Leslie:
West African Dance used to kick my rear end! No joke indeed. I wish I could find another class near me. Been doing Pilates since January - however I need to do more, I could stand to lose a few. How do you like Pilates, Leslie? I'm considering signing up for either that or yoga next month. Like the core-strengthening of Pilates, but dig the stretching of the yoga poses (am a novice to both). Trying to relieve stress from old car accident injuries, and tone. </font>[/QUOTE]I used to do yoga at home, but have been real bad about it of late, perhaps I will join a class, that way I won't be tempted to stop for a cigarette.

richierich
03-17-2004, 02:53 PM
yeah I am and it's hard.

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by gf:
...perhaps I will join a class, that way I won't be tempted to stop for a cigarette. This would bring me great joy (you not stopping for a cig)...I want you to be around for a while, sweetie! smile.gif

Friday
03-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by richierich:
yeah I am and it's hard. You still going to do the hot-bod shots??? ;)

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 02:58 PM
yeah I am and it's hard. What are you doing?

Friday
03-17-2004, 02:59 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by richierich:
yeah I am and it's hard. What are you doing? </font>[/QUOTE]graemlins/rofl.gif

upliftdisco365
03-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Just checking...

I'd like to see less of some of us @ the DHP and/or Chosen Few picnics this year...including myself. The Disco Gut and Deep House Thighs have got to go. ;) What?? I saw you in Miami and you were adorable. That wasn't my brother with me, though... that was my gut. I've gotta do something... If I come to Chicago this summer eating like I'm eating, y'all will be calling me upliftbacon365.

[ March 17, 2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: upliftdisco365 ]

DJ RON C
03-17-2004, 03:01 PM
I don't need a workout routine-liftin' all these damn crates keeps in in form... graemlins/rofl.gif

What's wrong with the Deep house page thighs for women? I thought those were sexy... graemlins/cool_shades.gif

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by DJ RON C:
I don't need a workout routine-liftin' all these damn crates keeps in in form... graemlins/rofl.gif

What's wrong with the Deep house page thighs for women? I thought those were sexy... graemlins/cool_shades.gif Not when the inside of them are black from rubbing together for years and years! :D

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by upliftdisco365:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Discogoddess:
Just checking...

I'd like to see less of some of us @ the DHP and/or Chosen Few picnics this year...including myself. The Disco Gut and Deep House Thighs have got to go. ;) What?? I saw you in Miami and you were adorable. That wasn't my brother with me, though... that was my gut. I've gotta do something... If I come to Chicago this summer eating like I'm eating, y'all will be calling me upliftbacon365. </font>[/QUOTE]LMBAO @ upliftbacon365!!!!! Damn!

Thanks for the compliment, love. graemlins/remybussi.gif Very sweet of you. However, your girl is fleshier than comfortable, hence the dieting and exercising.

JoeB
03-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Lost 30 lbs so far so i think i should be ready for spring/summer.

mi gal likes the "new" me.

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by JoeB:

mi gal likes the "new" me. Congratulations, JoeB! That's awesome, and inspirational. I'm down 13, with many miles to go B4 I sleep.

Jamie 3:26
03-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Just waiting on the weather to break.I will begin my wlaks and mike rides very soon.

Leslie
03-17-2004, 03:09 PM
West African Dance used to kick my rear end! No joke indeed. I wish I could find another class near me. Been doing Pilates since January - however I need to do more, I could stand to lose a few. How do you like Pilates, Leslie? I'm considering signing up for either that or yoga next month. Like the core-strengthening of Pilates, but dig the stretching of the yoga poses (am a novice to both). Trying to relieve stress from old car accident injuries, and tone. </font>[/QUOTE]I have to say I really like it. I've only done mat classes which are in a small group setting, I really want to have semi-private or a few private lessons on the Refomer but those classes are NOT cheap. I recently bought a really good video at Target that has 25 different Pilates work outs on it, but I strongly suggest you take a class first because an instructor is important with regard to stance, posture, etc.

I tried yoga once and hated it, but a friend and I discussed it a few months ago and I think I'd like to try it again.

JoeB
03-17-2004, 03:11 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JoeB:

mi gal likes the "new" me. Congratulations, JoeB! That's awesome, and inspirational. I'm down 13, with many miles to go B4 I sleep. </font>[/QUOTE]the funny thing is, DG, that i wasn't really worried about the weight but i just wanted to feel healthy again. i started off at around 230 and i'm down to 197 this morning after i was done doing cardio. just stick with it and don't think about the weight and you will notice how the pounds will just melt off.

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by KIRE .J:
Just waiting on the weather to break.I will begin my wlaks and mike rides very soon. Are wlaks and mike rides new exercise classes? icon_rofl.gif

Just funnin ya, sweetie!

likewater
03-17-2004, 03:14 PM
They make a lot of noise, you can hear them rub while walking.. don't have on stockings..

Shit! you can start a fire. graemlins/rofl.gif

Leslie
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
I did lose a few while my kitchen was under construction. Having no cooking facilities, no money, and a refrig with only bread and water for damn near 2 months does wonders.

DJ RON C
03-17-2004, 03:16 PM
I'll be the judge of that goddess... graemlins/rofl.gif I'll be holding taste tests in the dark corner at the last basement party. graemlins/rofl.gif

richierich
03-17-2004, 03:17 PM
yeah I am and it's hard. What are you doing? </font>[/QUOTE]working out 5 days a wek to the point of exhaustion.

JoeB
03-17-2004, 03:18 PM
yeah I am and it's hard. What are you doing? </font>[/QUOTE]working out 5 days a wek to the point of exhaustion. </font>[/QUOTE]"pain is weakness leaving the body."

likewater
03-17-2004, 03:20 PM
I'll be the judge of that goddess... graemlins/rofl.gif I'll be holding taste tests in the dark corner at the last basement party. graemlins/rofl.gif what's on the menu, a of leg coochie? or something else?
graemlins/rofl.gif

[ March 17, 2004, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: likewater ]

Dolemite73
03-17-2004, 03:21 PM
yeah I am and it's hard. What are you doing? </font>[/QUOTE]working out 5 days a wek to the point of exhaustion. </font>[/QUOTE]"pain is weakness leaving the body." </font>[/QUOTE]KILL!!! Oorah to that!!

Larissa J.
03-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Love my thighs and assets, working on my stomach and arms, plus toning.

DJ RON C
03-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Like, I don't know what evils entrance into the dark corners holds-I am just going to see... biggrinangel.gif

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:23 PM
..."pain is weakness leaving the body." I'll try to remember that when I'm getting bitch-slapped in spinning or aerobics tonight...

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Like, I don't know what evils entrance into the dark corners holds-I am just going to see... biggrinangel.gif Like I said earlier, just act like you don't know nothing if you recognize somebody in one of the corners, k?

DJ RON C
03-17-2004, 03:26 PM
"oops-is that your tongue?" graemlins/rofl.gif

JoeB
03-17-2004, 03:28 PM
..."pain is weakness leaving the body." I'll try to remember that when I'm getting bitch-slapped in spinning or aerobics tonight... </font>[/QUOTE]even though it's a marine thing, i think anyone can apply this to themselves when they are hurting and feel like giving up.

best of luck with everything, DG. i'm sure jotex is loving the "new" you as much as you are. smile.gif

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:29 PM

mi gal likes the "new" me. Congratulations, JoeB! That's awesome, and inspirational. I'm down 13, with many miles to go B4 I sleep. </font>[/QUOTE]the funny thing is, DG, that i wasn't really worried about the weight but i just wanted to feel healthy again. i started off at around 230 and i'm down to 197 this morning after i was done doing cardio. just stick with it and don't think about the weight and you will notice how the pounds will just melt off. </font>[/QUOTE]See, this is why I hate men...yall can drop weight by just thinking about it! graemlins/cussing.gif My husand and I have committed to getting fit together, and for every pound I lose, he loses two or three. But seriously, thanks for sharing, and for the tip. smile.gif

[ March 17, 2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Discogoddess ]

likewater
03-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Like, I don't know what evils entrance into the dark corners holds-I am just going to see... biggrinangel.gif icon_rofl.gif graemlins/rofl.gif

JoeB
03-17-2004, 03:35 PM

mi gal likes the "new" me. Congratulations, JoeB! That's awesome, and inspirational. I'm down 13, with many miles to go B4 I sleep. </font>[/QUOTE]the funny thing is, DG, that i wasn't really worried about the weight but i just wanted to feel healthy again. i started off at around 230 and i'm down to 197 this morning after i was done doing cardio. just stick with it and don't think about the weight and you will notice how the pounds will just melt off. </font>[/QUOTE]See, this is why I hate men...yall can drop weight by just thinking about it! graemlins/cussing.gif My husand and I have committed to getting fit together, and for every pound I lose, he loses two or three. But seriously, thanks for sharing, and for the tip. smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]it wasn't as easy as that. after i got out of the corps in 2000, i was pretty lean but i was sick and tired of working out so much so i took a break to do as much coke, crystal, and drink like a madman and eat like there was no tomorrow until i hit rock bottom and i looked at myself in the mirror and thought, "what the fuck happened to me?!!" i knew the person i saw in the reflection was not a representation of me, my family and my service. this was in july or so and i already have given up doing cocaine in may after starting at the tender age of 15. but i didn't think i had it in me to get back in shape but all it took was for me to tell myself how much i really wanted this and next thing i know, i'm actually looking like i USED to look before i got out. so, don't think it was easy because i had to change everything: no beer or liquor, eating five to six meals a day and going to the gym when i have no desire to do so on top of going to school full time and working full time. but again, if i can do it, ANYONE can.

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:36 PM
West African Dance used to kick my rear end! No joke indeed. I wish I could find another class near me. Been doing Pilates since January - however I need to do more, I could stand to lose a few. How do you like Pilates, Leslie? I'm considering signing up for either that or yoga next month. Like the core-strengthening of Pilates, but dig the stretching of the yoga poses (am a novice to both). Trying to relieve stress from old car accident injuries, and tone. </font>[/QUOTE]I have to say I really like it. I've only done mat classes which are in a small group setting, I really want to have semi-private or a few private lessons on the Refomer but those classes are NOT cheap. I recently bought a really good video at Target that has 25 different Pilates work outs on it, but I strongly suggest you take a class first because an instructor is important with regard to stance, posture, etc.

I tried yoga once and hated it, but a friend and I discussed it a few months ago and I think I'd like to try it again. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks, girl! I'm leaning toward Pilates, and your post just sealed it. I will try yoga during summer session.

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 03:38 PM
it wasn't as easy as that. after i got out of the corps in 2000, i was pretty lean but i was sick and tired of working out so much so i took a break to do as much coke, crystal, and drink like a madman and eat like there was no tomorrow until i hit rock bottom and i looked at myself in the mirror and thought, "what the fuck happened to me?!!" i knew the person i saw in the reflection was not a representation of me, my family and my service. this was in july or so and i already have given up doing cocaine in may after starting at the tender age of 15. but i didn't think i had it in me to get back in shape but all it took was for me to tell myself how much i really wanted this and next thing i know, i'm actually looking like i USED to look before i got out. so, don't think it was easy because i had to change everything: no beer or liquor, eating five to six meals a day and going to the gym when i have no desire to do so on top of going to school full time and working full time. but again, if i can do it, ANYONE can. graemlins/respekt.gif for getting healthy, in all ways. That's cool as hell.

DJ RON C
03-17-2004, 03:41 PM
I heard that the company "Curves" is really good.

Koffy Brown
03-17-2004, 04:16 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DJ RON C:

What's wrong with the Deep house page thighs for women? I thought those were sexy... graemlins/cool_shades.gif Not when the inside of them are black from rubbing together for years and years! :D </font>[/QUOTE]HOLLERIN
graemlins/rofl.gif

Koffy Brown
03-17-2004, 04:18 PM

I tried yoga once and hated it, but a friend and I discussed it a few months ago and I think I'd like to try it again. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks, girl! I'm leaning toward Pilates, and your post just sealed it. I will try yoga during summer session. </font>[/QUOTE]PLEASE do pilates...buy you a tape first....and now they have classes that mix pilates and yoga...I am doing pilates and kickboxing...I lovve kickboxing ...you will be feeling the affects of pilates immediately....

[ March 17, 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Kizzy ]

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Kizzy:
PLEASE do pilates...I am doing pilates and kickboxing...I lovve kickboxing ...you will be feeling the affects of pilates immediately.... That you, sista Ashaki? Thanks for the tip...def. signing up now. The Disco Gut WILL be banished by the summer. smile.gif

Leslie
03-17-2004, 04:26 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kizzy:
PLEASE do pilates...I am doing pilates and kickboxing...I lovve kickboxing ...you will be feeling the affects of pilates immediately.... That you, sista Ashaki? Thanks for the tip...def. signing up now. The Disco Gut WILL be banished by the summer. smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]The cool thing about Pilates is that its not about a riduculous amount of reps with most of the exercises. Many times its 8 reps, in some instances only 3, some 10. But as Ashaki said you feel and notice the results rather quickly. The hard part is keeping your stomach held in while youare doing all this, but before you know it it gets stronger and you find yourself doing it automatically. My class finished up in Feb and I need to get back to another one ASAP.

On another note, I have been reading a lot lately and seeing on tv shows, many experts who believe the whole notion of hourl long crazy work outs have no more health benefit than doing 15 minutes of exercise per day. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Koffy Brown
03-17-2004, 04:45 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kizzy:
PLEASE do pilates...I am doing pilates and kickboxing...I lovve kickboxing ...you will be feeling the affects of pilates immediately.... That you, sista Ashaki? Thanks for the tip...def. signing up now. The Disco Gut WILL be banished by the summer. smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]The cool thing about Pilates is that its not about a riduculous amount of reps with most of the exercises. Many times its 8 reps, in some instances only 3, some 10. But as Ashaki said you feel and notice the results rather quickly. The hard part is keeping your stomach held in while youare doing all this, but before you know it it gets stronger and you find yourself doing it automatically. My class finished up in Feb and I need to get back to another one ASAP.

On another note, I have been reading a lot lately and seeing on tv shows, many experts who believe the whole notion of hourl long crazy work outs have no more health benefit than doing 15 minutes of exercise per day. Anyone have thoughts on that? </font>[/QUOTE]my girlfriend and I was just discussing this...if you take a 30 minute stroll for atleast 5 days a week, you will lose just as much weight as jogging the whole 30 minutes.... of course this ties in with eating healthier meals...what about 2000 calories....per day

Fletch
03-17-2004, 04:49 PM
my girlfriend and I was just discussing this...if you take a 30 minute stroll for atleast 5 days a week, you will lose just as much weight as jogging the whole 30 minutes[/QB]Sorry, but I do not believe that at all!

Koffy Brown
03-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Fletch:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />my girlfriend and I was just discussing this...if you take a 30 minute stroll for atleast 5 days a week, you will lose just as much weight as jogging the whole 30 minutesSorry, but I do not believe that at all! [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]mkay...maybe they said if you walk and run vs. running the whole time...shoot i forgot why he said it....

[ March 17, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Kizzy ]

likewater
03-17-2004, 04:51 PM

mi gal likes the "new" me. Congratulations, JoeB! That's awesome, and inspirational. I'm down 13, with many miles to go B4 I sleep. </font>[/QUOTE]the funny thing is, DG, that i wasn't really worried about the weight but i just wanted to feel healthy again. i started off at around 230 and i'm down to 197 this morning after i was done doing cardio. just stick with it and don't think about the weight and you will notice how the pounds will just melt off. </font>[/QUOTE]See, this is why I hate men...yall can drop weight by just thinking about it! graemlins/cussing.gif My husand and I have committed to getting fit together, and for every pound I lose, he loses two or three. But seriously, thanks for sharing, and for the tip. smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]it wasn't as easy as that. after i got out of the corps in 2000, i was pretty lean but i was sick and tired of working out so much so i took a break to do as much coke, crystal, and drink like a madman and eat like there was no tomorrow until i hit rock bottom and i looked at myself in the mirror and thought, "what the fuck happened to me?!!" i knew the person i saw in the reflection was not a representation of me, my family and my service. this was in july or so and i already have given up doing cocaine in may after starting at the tender age of 15. but i didn't think i had it in me to get back in shape but all it took was for me to tell myself how much i really wanted this and next thing i know, i'm actually looking like i USED to look before i got out. so, don't think it was easy because i had to change everything: no beer or liquor, eating five to six meals a day and going to the gym when i have no desire to do so on top of going to school full time and working full time. but again, if i can do it, ANYONE can. </font>[/QUOTE]graemlins/bighug.gif graemlins/respekt.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Fletch
03-17-2004, 04:56 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fletch:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />my girlfriend and I was just discussing this...if you take a 30 minute stroll for atleast 5 days a week, you will lose just as much weight as jogging the whole 30 minutesSorry, but I do not believe that at all! </font>[/QUOTE]mkay...maybe they said if you walk and run vs. running the whole time...shoot i forgot why he said it.... [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]If you are a beginner, you should alternate walking and running.

Having said that, I believe that weight loss is more calories you shed off than you consume. Having said that, I thought that running exerts more energy than walking, therefore burning off more calories.

However, you still should alternate walking and running if you are a beginning runner. Start off slowly, then see yourself getting into some shape after about a couple of weeks. As time goes on , you can decrease the walking. Peace.

Leslie
03-17-2004, 04:57 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />my girlfriend and I was just discussing this...if you take a 30 minute stroll for atleast 5 days a week, you will lose just as much weight as jogging the whole 30 minutesSorry, but I do not believe that at all! [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]What you believe is your business - ask your joints after a few years....

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Okay, yall, say a prayer for me...I'm heading to this spinning class for the first time! My goal is to stay on the bike without having an asthma attack and falling out on the floor.

*Making the sign of the cross*

[ March 17, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Discogoddess ]

JoeB
03-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Okay, yall, say a prayer for me...I'm heading to this spinning class for the first time! My goal is to stay on the bike without having an asthma attack and falling out on the floor.

*Making the sign of the cross* please give a review. i'm thinking about signing up for this in the near future.

JoeB
03-17-2004, 05:08 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fletch:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />my girlfriend and I was just discussing this...if you take a 30 minute stroll for atleast 5 days a week, you will lose just as much weight as jogging the whole 30 minutesSorry, but I do not believe that at all! </font>[/QUOTE]What you believe is your business - ask your joints after a few years.... [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]damn, i wish i would had the article i read about running on me so i can dispel some of these myths that everyone seems to consider to be fact.

Woody Rosen
03-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Am I getting in shape? HELL NO!!!

I just ate a pund of spaghetti and I'm washing it down with a 2 liter of orange soda.

graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Discogoddess
03-17-2004, 08:51 PM

*Making the sign of the cross* please give a review. i'm thinking about signing up for this in the near future. </font>[/QUOTE]Well, I survived, and I will be back. Sweated like a "hooker in church," and thought my butt would fall off at times, but it was cool. Drank tons of water, too.

The pace/moves were very challenging, but not at all scary like I thought it would be. You control the intensity of your workout (the resistance, going up hills, speed pedaling, etc.). My instructor, a very sweet young woman, kept urging me to pace myself and take breaks if necessary. She even said I did great! smile.gif

Fiendish Dr. Wu
03-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by upliftdisco365:
upliftbacon365. graemlins/rofl.gif

JoeB
03-17-2004, 09:41 PM

*Making the sign of the cross* please give a review. i'm thinking about signing up for this in the near future. </font>[/QUOTE]Well, I survived, and I will be back. Sweated like a "hooker in church," and thought my butt would fall off at times, but it was cool. Drank tons of water, too.

The pace/moves were very challenging, but not at all scary like I thought it would be. You control the intensity of your workout (the resistance, going up hills, speed pedaling, etc.). My instructor, a very sweet young woman, kept urging me to pace myself and take breaks if necessary. She even said I did great! smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]thanks for the quick feedback. hail.gif

MyNia
03-18-2004, 10:18 AM
I was at the gym Monday night and picked up a schedule. I think I am going to take on a kickboxing class on Mondays & Wednesdays & Sundays til my dance class starts back up then I will replace the Monday with the danceclass. The dance instructor damn near killed me Monday. I limped my ass out of there a few minutes early. My body went into "oh hell no you didn't think i was gonna let you do THAT" mode. I will give my ankle a minute to go down and I will be at the gym Sunday morning.

Friday
03-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Sweated like a "hooker in church," graemlins/rofl.gif bwahahahaha!!!! graemlins/rofl.gif

richierich
03-18-2004, 10:26 AM
From the words of Keith Richards - "Workout... hell no.....I play guitar for the Rolling Stones"...(as he chuckles, takes a swig of wiskey and a drag from his cigarrette)...

Alanda Marquette from DiscoLadyLand
03-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Cardio-aerobics M-W-F, Strength & toning T-TH-S. I workout 30-45 mins a day and keep thinking "size 10, size 10, size 10 by X-mas" graemlins/rofl.gif I also have a meal plan (not diet) to follow. It's challenging but I got to do it, I'll be 35 in this year, weight makes me look older & I want to look 25. I am willing to take on a buddy to get thru stuff together. Lack motivation is my biggest downfall :(

Sensei Melei
03-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Workout?

I carry records for blocks to get to a party...

I try to dance for a little cardio...

I dig for records to keep the back loose...

I stand for hours when I play (don't know what this does)

And I have a dominatrix who treats me like a slave ( graemlins/1luvu.gif )

Alanda Marquette from DiscoLadyLand
03-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Sensei Melei-1010:
Workout?

I carry records for blocks to get to a party...

I try to dance for a little cardio...

I dig for records to keep the back loose...

I stand for hours when I play (don't know what this does)

And I have a dominatrix who treats me like a slave ( graemlins/1luvu.gif ) Sounds like you got it all under control graemlins/rofl.gif You may want to cut a little ;)

shante b
03-18-2004, 11:01 AM
yep...toning it out by walking miles and miles and dancing at the various clubs

kara
03-18-2004, 11:15 AM

mi gal likes the "new" me. Congratulations, JoeB! That's awesome, and inspirational. I'm down 13, with many miles to go B4 I sleep. </font>[/QUOTE]the funny thing is, DG, that i wasn't really worried about the weight but i just wanted to feel healthy again. i started off at around 230 and i'm down to 197 this morning after i was done doing cardio. just stick with it and don't think about the weight and you will notice how the pounds will just melt off. </font>[/QUOTE]i think change from ouur healthy diet of pizza a bottle of wine and ben n jerrys every night for a year mighta helped too

kara
03-18-2004, 11:16 AM
i suggest bellydancing class - esp for those w/flabby arms and thick middles

holy workout

i.be.me
03-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by kara:
i suggest bellydancing class - esp for those w/flabby arms and thick middles

holy workout that's so funny... i was just thinking about starting a thread on bellydancing! Do you take classes?

just started a bellydancing class and it is kicking my butt! my hips and shoulders are so sore - damn! You think it is just sexy, pretty, smooth moves, but you really need control and strenth to do a lot of that stuff.

I run 2xs a week (~8 miles total) (ugh... this week in the @#$% SNOW!)

I get my sweat on dancing at least every other week. Just had a great time last night listening to DJ KC drop a lot of the new stuff he got in Miami. Wahoo! That was funnnnnn!

Need to start stretching more and doing some push ups/sit ups. Vacation & bikini time is just around the corner! graemlins/bolt.gif

Martin Red
03-18-2004, 11:52 AM
working out my salvation

kara
03-18-2004, 11:58 AM
i don't know how i started, but for about 4 years i worked out religiously but stopped 3 years ago and cant seem to get back off the couch

but i pop in for random classes - step aerobics to good music is my favorite, hopping and bopping for an hour and you dont even realize the time smile.gif though missing the step as much as i do has resulted in huge bruising and swollen lumps

regular boxing - too gruff, its fun - till you get hit back
bellydancing - arm killer
regular aerobics - oonce i did step, i couldnt do this againn - too boring
step aerobics - good for legs/upper legs/butt
kick boxing/tai bo - eh, maybe imn missing something but its kinda boring, regular martial arts would be better
spinning - im sure it would be great, i wanna really do it, but those bikes hurt my coochie area/bones to the point i cant sit on them wtf! - but damn, those people coome out of that class drenched - like they just shed 5 lbs in that one workout
pilates - THAT JUNX CAN REALLY RESHAPE YOUR BODY! my short (5'2) cousin said it elongates your muscles, like a ballerina ... i wanna do it, but the real pilates (not the classes, but the full thing w/all the equipment and machines, not just a ball etc) is expensive, one day
yoga - good for my a.d.d. mind, buti dont get the physical benefit, which is what i end up thinking about the whole time im tryig to 'breathe in, breahte out and relax'
tai chi/kungfu - these are the best - about to commit to a martial arts place and drop the other stuff, but not quite there yet...

smile.gif

but motsly , i exercise my lower forearm w/my mega remote i jsut got for my souped up digital cable and now that someone here just explained 'in demand hbo'

[ March 18, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: kara ]

Discogoddess
03-18-2004, 01:01 PM
I am sooo trying bellydancing, either right after my hip hop class this session, or after I take West African dance next session! Gonna put all this jelly to work for me... ;)

Koffy Brown
03-18-2004, 01:07 PM
for me the idea is to definitely keep trying new things because I get too bored way too easy...

actually there are physical benefits to yoga...after yoga classes I feel obligated to not pick up a cigarette and eat healthy...plus it is great for toning...there are many many different variations of yoga...

plus I have a really cool yoga mat and carrier that look soooo fly when i have it on my back walking down the street...

now why does work out clothes cost so damn much..

lola desire
03-18-2004, 01:28 PM
yoga - good for my a.d.d. mind, buti dont get the physical benefit, which is what i end up thinking about the whole time im tryig to 'breathe in, breahte out and relax'
don't give up on yoga yet. try an astanga (or "ashtanga") yoga class in your area. after the sun salutations, if you ain't sweating, you proably don't have pores.

my workouts come automatically while i'm teaching yoga classes (1.5 hrs). normally i teach 3 times a week, and i substitute as needed--this week "as needed" meant that today will be my 5th class since saturday. *whew*

in addition to the centering and stress relieving aspects, i've developed upper body strength i've never had before as well as a waistline for bikini season.

Mocambo
03-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by lola desire:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kara:
don't give up on yoga yet. try an astanga (or "ashtanga") yoga class in your area. after the sun salutations, if you ain't sweating, you proably don't have pores.

my workouts come automatically while i'm teaching yoga classes (1.5 hrs). normally i teach 3 times a week, and i substitute as needed--this week "as needed" meant that today will be my 5th class since saturday. *whew*

in addition to the centering and stress relieving aspects, i've developed upper body strength i've never had before as well as a waistline for bikini season. </font>[/QUOTE]Ashtanga yoga will make you sweat.

Ayo
03-18-2004, 03:21 PM
I took some Afro-Cuban dance classes up in Mt. Rainier MD, looking to start that again, good work out. Also a woman name Kukuwa will give you the work out of a lifetime if you are in the DC area she's at a lot of Sport and Health location (she teaches Caribbean dance/aerobics). If anyone is interested in a weekly workout get together at the gyms, dance studios, or home gyms, I'm down!!!

Discogoddess
03-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Ayo:
I took some Afro-Cuban dance classes up in Mt. Rainier MD, looking to start that again, good work out. Also a woman name Kukuwa will give you the work out of a lifetime if you are in the DC area she's at a lot of Sport and Health location (she teaches Caribbean dance/aerobics). If anyone is interested in a weekly workout get together at the gyms, dance studios, or home gyms, I'm down!!! Too bad I'm in Chicago, or I would join you. Have fun.

kara
03-18-2004, 03:35 PM
for me the idea is to definitely keep trying new things because I get too bored way too easy...

actually there are physical benefits to yoga...after yoga classes I feel obligated to not pick up a cigarette and eat healthy...plus it is great for toning...there are many many different variations of yoga...

plus I have a really cool yoga mat and carrier that look soooo fly when i have it on my back walking down the street...

now why does work out clothes cost so damn much.. now for real, ive wondered, why do i get the major urge to smoke a cigarette after a long cardio workout? ... im thinking maybe cuz my lungs are expanded? lol for real, ill be jane fonda'ing out, then flop down w/asmoke, then go right back

its very abfab feeling, but i cant not some times

kara
03-18-2004, 03:39 PM

in addition to the centering and stress relieving aspects, i've developed upper body strength i've never had before as well as a waistline for bikini season. </font>[/QUOTE]thank you - i had done hatha ? is that how its spelled? maybe ill try that instead

MyNia
03-18-2004, 03:56 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ayo:
I took some Afro-Cuban dance classes up in Mt. Rainier MD, looking to start that again, good work out. Also a woman name Kukuwa will give you the work out of a lifetime if you are in the DC area she's at a lot of Sport and Health location (she teaches Caribbean dance/aerobics). If anyone is interested in a weekly workout get together at the gyms, dance studios, or home gyms, I'm down!!! Too bad I'm in Chicago, or I would join you. Have fun. </font>[/QUOTE]and on the opposite side of town, you know I am still enforcing my 10 mile radius
graemlins/rofl.gif

Mocambo
03-18-2004, 04:11 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lola desire:

in addition to the centering and stress relieving aspects, i've developed upper body strength i've never had before as well as a waistline for bikini season. </font>[/QUOTE]thank you - i had done hatha ? is that how its spelled? maybe ill try that instead </font>[/QUOTE]That is how Hatha is spelled.

richierich
03-18-2004, 04:16 PM
just put down the side of beef and the WHOLE chicken... graemlins/bolt.gif

fred da warrior
03-18-2004, 04:21 PM
just put down the side of beef and the WHOLE chicken... graemlins/bolt.gif and push away from the table graemlins/bolt.gif

Leslie
03-18-2004, 04:38 PM

in addition to the centering and stress relieving aspects, i've developed upper body strength i've never had before as well as a waistline for bikini season. </font>[/QUOTE]Everytime I think about doing a yoga class I think about you Lola and that picture of that amazing pose you put up a few months back. Man the first and only time I tried it I really hated it but I'd like to try it again. The problem is my schedule, finding a good studio with an instructor I like, and figuring out which discipline I am suppossed to start with. I mean which one is beginner yoga??

Man, gimme a dance class, pilates, and a bike and I'll be all right! graemlins/rofl.gif

DaveR
03-21-2004, 12:48 PM
http://www.boners.com/content/790077.1.jpg

Discogoddess
03-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Mack's basketball post made me think of this...

Reminder: the Disco Gut and Deep House Thighs must go! Summer starts in about 12 weeks. Please get your shit together now...your heart (and others' eyes) will thank you for it. ;)

[ March 29, 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Discogoddess ]

Fletch
03-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Nine mile run yesterday!

Discogoddess
03-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Btw, dancing all night at the party counts as exercise. Just gotta make sure you don't ruin it by drinking alcohol like a fish and/or pigging out at the diner after you leave the party. ;)

House
03-29-2004, 02:12 PM
my ass hasn't been working out but i been working out some ass

DaveR
03-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Nine mile run yesterday! You were so happy the snow has melted ! ... graemlins/rofl.gif

DJ RON C
03-29-2004, 02:20 PM
I just did my part...I sat here and thought long and hard about jogging. I did it so long, I got tired so I stopped thinking about it.

In a few minutes, I going to do another rep. graemlins/rofl5.gif

[ March 29, 2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: DJ RON C ]

Discogoddess
03-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by LeRoi Destouts:
my ass hasn't been working out but i been working out some ass If done long enough in one session, good exercise as well. Great stretching benefits, too.