PDA

View Full Version : I've decided to learn to play the keyboard !

DJ George Bates
01-02-2004, 02:00 PM
I got a yamaha keyboard for Xmas last year that i never learned to play !

this year is the year !! smile.gif

Fletch
01-02-2004, 02:08 PM
Congratulations! You are becoming a musician. Nine years ago, I took up the electric bass, and never looked back! A shout out to more musicians on board! Peace.

Chicago Skyway Music
01-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by DJ George Bates:
I got a yamaha keyboard for Xmas last year that i never learned to play !

this year is the year !! smile.gif Good luck with that, George.

I use to take lessons a while back but my teacher sucked!

But, I'm also planning to try to find a good teacher to teach me.

Maybe we can ask jere mcallister or Quad to show us how to play. ;)

DJ George Bates
01-02-2004, 02:24 PM
I want to produce a track this year and I figure to know something about music other than how to play records might help just a little ....ya know ? smile.gif

Chicago Skyway Music
01-02-2004, 02:48 PM
I want to produce a track this year and I figure to know something about music other than how to play records might help just a little ....ya know ? smile.gif Good for you brother. Tear that Shit up!

JMJ
01-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Sean Hernandez:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DJ George Bates:
I want to produce a track this year and I figure to know something about music other than how to play records might help just a little ....ya know ? smile.gif Good for you brother. Tear that Shit up! </font>[/QUOTE]I wanna be like you guys when I grow up!! Could be a while......JMJ ;)

DJ George Bates
01-02-2004, 03:39 PM
I wanna be like you !!!

Chicago Skyway Music
01-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by JMJ:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sean Hernandez:
I want to produce a track this year and I figure to know something about music other than how to play records might help just a little ....ya know ? smile.gif Good for you brother. Tear that Shit up! </font>[/QUOTE]I wanna be like you guys when I grow up!! Could be a while......JMJ ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Fah Reel! I'm straight up trying to be like mr.JMJ. ;)

So, when you selling me the 808? smile.gif

JMJ
01-02-2004, 03:48 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JMJ:
I want to produce a track this year and I figure to know something about music other than how to play records might help just a little ....ya know ? smile.gif Good for you brother. Tear that Shit up! </font>[/QUOTE]I wanna be like you guys when I grow up!! Could be a while......JMJ ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Fah Reel! I'm straight up trying to be like mr.JMJ. ;)

So, when you selling me the 808? smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]When would you like it??.......JMJ ;)

JMJ
01-02-2004, 03:49 PM
I wanna be like you !!! No you don't.......JMJ graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Savoir-Faire
01-02-2004, 04:09 PM

Sean, maybe it wasn't the teacher...
icon_rofl.gif

Chicago Skyway Music
01-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Savoir-Faire:

Sean, maybe it wasn't the teacher...
icon_rofl.gif </font>[/QUOTE]It was totally the teacher!

When I first started he asked, "What style of music do want to learn to play?"

I said, "Jazz"

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Jazz means you are in it for the long run. And from what I see here you are going to be in it for the LOOOOONG run."

What a cock!

Well, I didn't give up that easy. I ended up taking lessons for 5 month. What did me in was how much I had to pay for the damn lessons. Ouch!

;)

Chicago Skyway Music
01-02-2004, 04:54 PM

So, when you selling me the 808? smile.gif </font>[/QUOTE]When would you like it??.......JMJ ;) </font>[/QUOTE]Let me save some money first I do want an 808 to add to my collection though. :D

Savoir-Faire
01-02-2004, 05:12 PM
It was totally the teacher!

Sure it was.

I feel you on the lesson fees though. My daughter is taking drums...and was trying to play guitar too. Not cheap.
graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Ish
01-02-2004, 05:16 PM
I too would like to learn how to play the keyboard.

Let me know George if you find a decent teacher and one that is affordable, i am in the Chicago area myself.

I imagine I would get the same reply though when I tell them "Jazz" as the style I would like to reach for...

smile.gif

So easy a protic can do it (QUAD)
01-02-2004, 08:23 PM
GEORGE, SANTA STOPPED BY, SEE JMJ.......... :D :D ;)

DJ George Bates
01-02-2004, 09:26 PM
cool beans....! JMJ is hard to catch up to !

JMJ
01-02-2004, 09:58 PM
cool beans....! JMJ is hard to catch up to ! Really??.......JMJ graemlins/conf44.gif

DJ George Bates
01-02-2004, 10:20 PM
yes ! You never answer the phone... smile.gif ... Busy man ! smile.gif

JMJ
01-02-2004, 10:26 PM
yes ! You never answer the phone... smile.gif ... Busy man ! smile.gif When is this?? I'm home now......JMJ

DJ George Bates
01-02-2004, 10:28 PM
your phone is ringing now....6 rings..7 rings... smile.gif

JMJ
01-02-2004, 10:29 PM
your phone is ringing now....6 rings..7 rings... smile.gif Ooops. Let me log off. Try now.....JMJ :eek:

Wild i
01-03-2004, 05:40 AM
your phone is ringing now....6 rings..7 rings... smile.gif Ooops. Let me log off. Try now.....JMJ :eek: </font>[/QUOTE]YOU'RE STILL ON DIAL UP?!! graemlins/scared.gif graemlins/scared.gif

That's it! It's over between us. Dee Dee can have you!

Wild i
01-03-2004, 05:48 AM
Congrats, George. I believe learning an instrument can only improve one's life.

Lessons are expensive and good instructors hard to find. Have you considered video and CD instruction? There are programs that will allow you to hook your keyboard into your computer for virtual instruction. (Although I've never used anything like this and don't know how good they are.)

I'm self-taught on guitar and a little piano. Never had a lesson in my life... and it shows!

It seems to me that learning the piano is a lot like learning karate. You must practice the basics every day, if nothing else. Practice your scales - thumb to pinky to middle finger(right) and pinky to thumb to thumb (left). Do the whole 88 with one hand, then the other repeatedly. Get that into muscle memory and the tricks of the trade will come much easier.

I understand Glen Underground is a keyboardist. Perhaps he can teach you or at least recommend someone.

Best of luck.

JMJ
01-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Wild i:
your phone is ringing now....6 rings..7 rings... smile.gif Ooops. Let me log off. Try now.....JMJ :eek: </font>[/QUOTE]YOU'RE STILL ON DIAL UP?!! graemlins/scared.gif graemlins/scared.gif

That's it! It's over between us. Dee Dee can have you! </font>[/QUOTE]LOOK HERE MISS WILD I!! DSL unfortunately isn't available in my area yet. Cable internet is the only high speed option as is MUY EXPENSIVO. I'm on SBC Yahoo's waiting list, so that as soon as it's available, I'll have it. Is everything about speed with you?? Either apologize immediately (since everything has to be so fast) or be gone!! I have spoken.......JMJ, Man Of Leisure graemlins/cool_shades.gif

LEONARD REMIX RROY
01-03-2004, 10:15 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wild i:

That's it! It's over between us. Dee Dee can have you! </font>[/QUOTE]LOOK HERE MISS WILD I!! DSL unfortunately isn't available in my area yet. Cable internet is the only high speed option as is MUY EXPENSIVO. I'm on SBC Yahoo's waiting list, so that as soon as it's available, I'll have it. Is everything about speed with you?? Either apologize immediately (since everything has to be so fast) or be gone!! I have spoken.......JMJ, Man Of Leisure graemlins/cool_shades.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Wait on SBC, don't invest in Cable, reguardless to what the bill say...it is still TCI Cable until they upgrade that area and bring it up to speed.

Wild i
01-03-2004, 10:16 AM

That's it! It's over between us. Dee Dee can have you! </font>[/QUOTE]LOOK HERE MISS WILD I!! DSL unfortunately isn't available in my area yet. Cable internet is the only high speed option as is MUY EXPENSIVO. I'm on SBC Yahoo's waiting list, so that as soon as it's available, I'll have it. Is everything about speed with you?? Either apologize immediately (since everything has to be so fast) or be gone!! I have spoken.......JMJ, Man Of Leisure graemlins/cool_shades.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Look, Buddy, I have cable modem and I'M POOR! (another Caddy in the PJs) graemlins/tongueout.gif

Seriously, it is expensive and sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, but at T3 vs 3KHZ, I say yes! Think about it: it's only $20 more than DSL (in NYC, anyway). What about that Net zero $19.99 broadband? Have you checked that out? MSN also has broadband. Don't know how much that is.

Hell, ISDN is only $26.13 per month and at least you get 2 phone lines.

Wild i
01-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by LEONARD REMIX RROY:

That's it! It's over between us. Dee Dee can have you! </font>[/QUOTE]LOOK HERE MISS WILD I!! DSL unfortunately isn't available in my area yet. Cable internet is the only high speed option as is MUY EXPENSIVO. I'm on SBC Yahoo's waiting list, so that as soon as it's available, I'll have it. Is everything about speed with you?? Either apologize immediately (since everything has to be so fast) or be gone!! I have spoken.......JMJ, Man Of Leisure graemlins/cool_shades.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Wait on SBC, don't invest in Cable, reguardless to what the bill say...it is still TCI Cable until they upgrade that area and bring it up to speed. </font>[/QUOTE]Isn't TCI the company that got kicked out of North Jersey? I thought the FCC pulled their licenses.

LEONARD REMIX RROY
01-03-2004, 10:24 AM
I am not sure if they lost their license but, it is a bogus company. AT&T bought them out and sold it off just as quick.

Wild i
01-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by LEONARD REMIX RROY:
I am not sure if they lost their license but, it is a bogus company. AT&T bought them out and sold it off just as quick. I remember that! It was around 1996/98. Funny thing, TCI is the name of the school Tee was going to when he died. It's more training school than college, although they do give degrees (don't know if they're accredited). I don't know if there's any association but the did the right thing and conferred his degree postumously even though he failed his last final. The thinking was "Hell, the guy took the final as he was dying and previously had been a straight "A" student. He earned it." I'm grateful for that, at least.

But I digress...

TAC
01-03-2004, 10:43 AM
This is a good post. Plenty of the members her are closet musicians. Me myself, I played Clarinet (Alto, Tenor and Bass). Also played Tenor sax for a while.

I own keyboards, and other family members each own baby grands.

Oh, and you can also throw me into the percussion section where I won't try to steal the show.

Peace
TAC

LEONARD REMIX RROY
01-03-2004, 10:49 AM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LEONARD REMIX RROY:
I am not sure if they lost their license but, it is a bogus company. AT&T bought them out and sold it off just as quick. I remember that! It was around 1996/98. Funny thing, TCI is the name of the school Tee was going to when he died. It's more training school than college, although they do give degrees (don't know if they're accredited). I don't know if there's any association but the did the right thing and conferred his degree postumously even though he failed his last final. The thinking was "Hell, the guy took the final as he was dying and previously had been a straight "A" student. He earned it." I'm grateful for that, at least.

But I digress... </font>[/QUOTE]AT&T really got the short end of the stick in that deal to type nicely.

DJ George Bates
01-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Wild i,

that's exactly how i'm going to go....video or cd self taught...

Looking for good info now !

LEONARD REMIX RROY
01-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Wild i,

Looking for good info now ! Believe it or not, it will help you with doing edits. Keyboard players play a variety of beats within the constant beat of a song. You can use that same method and come up with some really wild (breaks in a beat) that may sound off but won't throw someone off while they are dancing.

DJ George Bates
01-03-2004, 11:14 AM
I think it will make me a better dj as well as help me in production oriented projects....

Number Two
01-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by TAC:
This is a good post. Plenty of the members her are closet musicians. Me myself, I played Clarinet (Alto, Tenor and Bass). Also played Tenor sax for a while.

I own keyboards, and other family members each own baby grands.

Oh, and you can also throw me into the percussion section where I won't try to steal the show.

Peace
TAC I played Tenor Sax in my High School marching Band. I wish I stuck with it.

What kind of Yamaha did you get,George? I have a Yamaha CS1x that I use for a MIDI keyboard. It's like a MIDI controller on crack. It also has a lot of cool sounds on it I am finding out after 6 years of sleeping on it. It is at the bottom of the picture. A few months and you will be a geek just like the rest of us that produce. Good luck and peace.
ftp://deephouse@jukar.biostat.wisc.edu/myinstruments.JPG

JMJ
01-03-2004, 05:41 PM

That's it! It's over between us. Dee Dee can have you! </font>[/QUOTE]LOOK HERE MISS WILD I!! DSL unfortunately isn't available in my area yet. Cable internet is the only high speed option as is MUY EXPENSIVO. I'm on SBC Yahoo's waiting list, so that as soon as it's available, I'll have it. Is everything about speed with you?? Either apologize immediately (since everything has to be so fast) or be gone!! I have spoken.......JMJ, Man Of Leisure graemlins/cool_shades.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Look, Buddy, I have cable modem and I'M POOR! (another Caddy in the PJs) graemlins/tongueout.gif

Seriously, it is expensive and sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, but at T3 vs 3KHZ, I say yes! Think about it: it's only $20 more than DSL (in NYC, anyway). What about that Net zero $19.99 broadband? Have you checked that out? MSN also has broadband. Don't know how much that is.

Hell, ISDN is only $26.13 per month and at least you get 2 phone lines. </font>[/QUOTE]OK. I repeat: THERE IS NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET AVAILABLE YET IN MY AREA!!! No Net Zero, no MSN, no MSG, no ESG, no ESP, no XYZ, no SBC, ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX. No HBO, no HMO, no WBA, WBC, or IBF. Don't make me have to repeat this phonetically for you. IT'S NOT AVAILABLE YET! When it is, I will have it, because I am just so damn 21st century. I have spoken........JMJ :rolleyes:

Chicago Skyway Music
01-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Wild i,

Looking for good info now ! Hey George,

That's the route I've been trying to take also. I bought a Piano for Dummies book that was sort of helpful but I'm not much of a reader.

I have to say though, they had this guy on channel 11 (PBS Chicago) one day during their membership drive and he was teaching piano. He was really good man! They were selling his DVD.

Anyway, when I find out his name I'll post it.

peace,

sean

Wild i
01-03-2004, 08:10 PM
Wild i,

That's the route I've been trying to take also. I bought a Piano for Dummies book that was sort of helpful but I'm not much of a reader.

I have to say though, they had this guy on channel 11 (PBS Chicago) one day during their membership drive and he was teaching piano. He was really good man! They were selling his DVD.

peace,

sean </font>[/QUOTE]I saw that guy. He really broke it down and took a lot of the mystery out of it.

sammyrock
01-03-2004, 08:13 PM
George,just close your eyes and let your spirit and soul take over the keys,by the time you know it,your playing like nothing. smile.gif

Wild i
01-03-2004, 08:21 PM
OK. I repeat: THERE IS NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET AVAILABLE YET IN MY AREA!!! No Net Zero, no MSN, no MSG, no ESG, no ESP, no XYZ, no SBC, ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX. No HBO, no HMO, no WBA, WBC, or IBF. Don't make me have to repeat this phonetically for you. IT'S NOT AVAILABLE YET! When it is, I will have it, because I am just so damn 21st century. I have spoken........JMJ :rolleyes: Well, damn! Where the hell are you?

I can see that you are technoligically challenged so I'll break it down for you.

No matter where you are, ISDN is available because it is essentially a souped-up phone line.

ISDN give you 64kb of through-put. You need 3 of that for voice and another 1 for coding, which leaves you 60kb through-put. That's about 57 times faster than dial up and you still have your normal phone line. (Techies check me on this. I'm a little rusty on theory.)

Call your local phone company and ask them about ISDN. It may be the perfect stop-gap for now.

Chicago Skyway Music
01-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Wild i,

peace,

sean </font>[/QUOTE]I saw that guy. He really broke it down and took a lot of the mystery out of it. </font>[/QUOTE]Here it is on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009A8ZX/qid=1073182660/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-4468600-9293727?v=glance&s=dvd#product-details

It is pricy but the guy does seem to make it really easy.

Also, it got mixed reviews from people who bought it.

I think I still might purchase it though.

[ January 04, 2004, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Sean Hernandez ]

P-Flipp
01-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Congrats George for taking such a big step.Learning music takes your dj game to the next level.I'm inspired to do the same.Best of luck! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DJ George Bates
01-04-2004, 04:52 AM
thanx !! smile.gif

JMJ
01-04-2004, 05:21 AM
Wild i,

sean </font>[/QUOTE]Have you tried Reading For Dummies??......JMJ ;)

JMJ
01-04-2004, 05:26 AM
OK. I repeat: THERE IS NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET AVAILABLE YET IN MY AREA!!! No Net Zero, no MSN, no MSG, no ESG, no ESP, no XYZ, no SBC, ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX. No HBO, no HMO, no WBA, WBC, or IBF. Don't make me have to repeat this phonetically for you. IT'S NOT AVAILABLE YET! When it is, I will have it, because I am just so damn 21st century. I have spoken........JMJ :rolleyes: Well, damn! Where the hell are you?

I can see that you are technoligically challenged so I'll break it down for you.

No matter where you are, ISDN is available because it is essentially a souped-up phone line.

ISDN give you 64kb of through-put. You need 3 of that for voice and another 1 for coding, which leaves you 60kb through-put. That's about 57 times faster than dial up and you still have your normal phone line. (Techies check me on this. I'm a little rusty on theory.)

Call your local phone company and ask them about ISDN. It may be the perfect stop-gap for now. </font>[/QUOTE]I will have to look into that. 21st century love gods like myself really don't rely on speed (or 4 initials, 3 is just fine), but I'll look at it just to make YOU happy, cuz that's what I'm about. Thanks, Miss i......JMJ graemlins/remybussi.gif

Wild i
01-04-2004, 08:14 AM

Call your local phone company and ask them about ISDN. It may be the perfect stop-gap for now. </font>[/QUOTE]I will have to look into that. 21st century love gods like myself really don't rely on speed (or 4 initials, 3 is just fine), but I'll look at it just to make YOU happy, cuz that's what I'm about. Thanks, Miss i......JMJ graemlins/remybussi.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Good luck. Where did you say you were? Maybe I can do some checking for you.

Wild i
01-04-2004, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE]Here it is on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009A8ZX/qid=1073182660/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-4468600-9293727?v=glance&s=dvd#product-details

It is pricy but the guy does seem to make it really easy.

Also, it got mixed reviews from people who bought it.

I think I still might purchase it though. Looks like all you really want is the CDs @ $50. The book is by someone else. Still $50 is a steal compared to lessons.

JMJ
01-04-2004, 11:36 AM

Call your local phone company and ask them about ISDN. It may be the perfect stop-gap for now. </font>[/QUOTE]I will have to look into that. 21st century love gods like myself really don't rely on speed (or 4 initials, 3 is just fine), but I'll look at it just to make YOU happy, cuz that's what I'm about. Thanks, Miss i......JMJ graemlins/remybussi.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Good luck. Where did you say you were? Maybe I can do some checking for you. </font>[/QUOTE]Griffith, Indiana, which is about 20 minutes southeast of Chicago. We just got indoor plumbing last week, although I still prefer to shit outdoors and rub my ass along the ground. I love nature......JMJ ;)

Chicago Skyway Music
01-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Wild i,

sean </font>[/QUOTE]Have you tried Reading For Dummies??......JMJ ;) </font>[/QUOTE]:rolleyes: :D

DJ George Bates
01-04-2004, 01:21 PM
no...but I will if I ever learn to read ! smile.gif

So easy a protic can do it (QUAD)
01-04-2004, 04:34 PM
[/QUOTE]OK. I repeat: THERE IS NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET AVAILABLE YET IN MY AREA!!! No Net Zero, no MSN, no MSG, no ESG, no ESP, no XYZ, no SBC, ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX. No HBO, no HMO, no WBA, WBC, or IBF. Don't make me have to repeat this phonetically for you. IT'S NOT AVAILABLE YET! When it is, I will have it, because I am just so damn 21st century. I have spoken........JMJ :rolleyes: [/QB][/QUOTE]

UH.......YOU MEAN 19TH CENTURY... :D :D

JMJ
01-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by DJ QUAD:
OK. I repeat: THERE IS NO HIGH SPEED INTERNET AVAILABLE YET IN MY AREA!!! No Net Zero, no MSN, no MSG, no ESG, no ESP, no XYZ, no SBC, ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX. No HBO, no HMO, no WBA, WBC, or IBF. Don't make me have to repeat this phonetically for you. IT'S NOT AVAILABLE YET! When it is, I will have it, because I am just so damn 21st century. I have spoken........JMJ :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

UH.......YOU MEAN 19TH CENTURY... :D :D [/QB][/QUOTE]

I got your 19th century, QVAD!.......JMJ AR15firing.gif graemlins/biglaugha.gif

Wild i
01-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Griffith, Indiana, which is about 20 minutes southeast of Chicago. We just got indoor plumbing last week, although I still prefer to shit outdoors and rub my ass along the ground. I love nature......JMJ ;) [/QB][/QUOTE]

PM me your phone number and I'll see what I can find out.

Wild i
01-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Griffith, Indiana, which is about 20 minutes southeast of Chicago. We just got indoor plumbing last week, although I still prefer to shit outdoors and rub my ass along the ground. I love nature......JMJ ;) PM me your phone number and I'll see what I can find out. </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, it doesn't have to be your phone number. It could be the deli down the street. Just make sure it's within a couple of blocks and has the same area code and exchange.

JMJ
01-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Griffith, Indiana, which is about 20 minutes southeast of Chicago. We just got indoor plumbing last week, although I still prefer to shit outdoors and rub my ass along the ground. I love nature......JMJ ;) PM me your phone number and I'll see what I can find out. </font>[/QUOTE]Actually, it doesn't have to be your phone number. It could be the deli down the street. Just make sure it's within a couple of blocks and has the same area code and exchange. </font>[/QUOTE]DON'T FRONT, Miss i!! You know damn well it's my number you want, and this is a pretty clever way to try to get it, so I gotta give you props for that. Unemployment has suddenly made me real sexy in the eyes and minds of women all across North America. Woo hoo!!!......JMJ biggrinangel.gif

Bande-A-Part_NYC
01-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Do these books really help?