Thread: Hiring a photographer for your event...price?

Hiring a photographer for your event...price?

I have many friends who are branching out into the world photography and know many others who do this kind of work. From time to time they want work/permission to do club parties.

how much is good enough without insulting? what is the going price for a photographer at your event.

figure either a regular party 10pm - 4am or an outdoor event for 3 hours.

What else is expected with the price? negatives, data files, exposure to the various rags??

just questions...
    I Am Almost Keeping It Real

Quote Originally Posted by liL Ray View Post
    I have many friends who are branching out into the world photography and know many others who do this kind of work. From time to time they want work/permission to do club parties.

how much is good enough without insulting? what is the going price for a photographer at your event.

figure either a regular party 10pm - 4am or an outdoor event for 3 hours.

What else is expected with the price? negatives, data files, exposure to the various rags??

just questions...
    Hey Ray. We have this situation many times at B&S. For the most part they do it for free and we ask for a full and unedited copy of everything thats taken. In terms of doing the pictures for the owners of the event and so they would own the rights to all the pictures, the price can vary from $100 upwards. Thats usually something worked out between the two parties and also depends on what the purpose of the pictures are for.
    Sorry I cant be more help to you but it is a bit of a grey area and at this time there are a LOT of so called photographers out there.

JD

totally depends on the photographer. Anywhere from free (some people need to build their portfolio, or just have an interest in covering this sort of thing) to tens of thousands (top-teir wedding photographers). The final purpose of these photos can also effect the price. (press, promotion materials, private use, etc)

These days, pretty much everybody shooting events is shooting digital, so you shouldn't expect to pay for film, processing, etc. Some photographers will demand to do post-production on their photos (Photoshop), which they sometimes will charge an additional fee for.

If, for instance, we were talking about the Jamboree, and we are talking about a really good professional photographer not associated with the "scene", I would expect to pay about $300-$400 as a magazine editor. As a party promoter, I would expect to pay one or two grand.

joonbug, clubplanet etc pay $50 per event (about 3 hours)
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Quote Originally Posted by mangina View Post
    Hey Ray. We have this situation many times at B&S. For the most part they do it for free and we ask for a full and unedited copy of everything thats taken. In terms of doing the pictures for the owners of the event and so they would own the rights to all the pictures, the price can vary from $100 upwards. Thats usually something worked out between the two parties and also depends on what the purpose of the pictures are for.
    Sorry I cant be more help to you but it is a bit of a grey area and at this time there are a LOT of so called photographers out there.

JD
    it is a grey area....

I think like the dj scene where there was an abundant of djs who did it for free but now are charging, the photogs are demanding the same.

I should specify for the editorial cost... I would expect that price for a mag circing an audited 100,000

Quote Originally Posted by Moksha View Post
    I should specify for the editorial cost... I would expect that price for a mag circing an audited 100,000
    very nice....hmmm, you got me thinking.

Talking

it just seems everytime you watch these courtroom show, you always see the photogs and vidogs up in court suing....you never see the dj sueing, he is usually getting sued for getting their late and being drunk...hahahaha