Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: what are you reading right now?

Tick Tock
    BY James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge

NYC's #1 detective, Michael Bennett, has a huge problem—the Son of Sam, the Werewolf of Wisteria and the Mad Bomber are all back. The city has never been more terrified!

Tick—a killer's countdown begins, but...
    A rash of horrifying crimes tears through the city, throwing it into complete chaos and terrorizing everyone living there. Immediately, it becomes clear that they are not the work of an amateur, but of a calculating, efficient, and deadly mastermind.

Tick—can Michael Bennett catch him before...
    The city calls on Detective Michael Bennett, pulling him away from a seaside retreat with his ten adopted children, his grandfather, and their beloved nanny, Mary Catherine. Not only does it tear apart their first vacation since Michael's wife Maeve died—it leaves the entire family open to attack.

Tock—your time is up.
    Bennett enlists the help of a former colleague, FBI Agent Emily Parker. As his affection for Emily grows into something stronger, his relationship with Mary Catherine takes an unexpected turn. All too soon, another appalling crime leads Bennett to a shocking discovery that exposes the killer's pattern and the earth-shattering enormity of his plan. From the creator of the #1 New York detective series comes the most volatile and most explosive Michael Bennett novel ever.
    Musically Yours
    Soulful House Music Collage
    Free mixes
    Soulful House Music Collage Radio
    http://soulfulhousemusiccollage.com
    The Blog http://soulfulhousemusiccollage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kara View Post
    wolw I haven't heard of any of these people or works, thanks for sharing the information/wealth... going to look into all of that!~

I finished The Pursuit of Love on Friday on the train from work. I must say, although I was a bit apprehensive about Mitford being maybe too "chick-ish", it was quite an entertaining read. I'll definitely carry on with her. I don't know: I love English women - or indeed their portrayal(*) -, particularly of that period around the wars.

Right now though I have to get into the latest offering by Michel Houellebecq, La Carte et le territoire (I don't think there's an English translation yet). F. Scott Fitzgerald's Tender Is The Night is boring me a bit, so I'm going to drop that for a moment. What I did discover this weekend was Julie Orringer's The Invisible Bridge. I haven't made my mind up to buy it, but I'm looking at it hard. Again, between-wars Europe, Budapest and Paris as backdrop, but a daunting 600+ pages.

(*) i.e. hot, discreetly debauched, gin & tonic-swilling, globe-trotting adventuresses and aviatrices with exceptional vocabulary and fantastic hair.

for book club. FASCINATING! and i rarely read non-fiction...

Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells—taken without her knowledge—became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first “immortal” human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. If you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they’d weigh more than 50 million metric tons—as much as a hundred Empire State Buildings. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer, viruses, and the atom bomb’s effects; helped lead to important advances like in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions. Yet Henrietta Lacks remains virtually unknown, buried in an unmarked grave.

This week:

I'm almost through with Dancing in the Glory of Monsters. A mindboggling yet rivetting account of the African world war raging in the Congo since the Rwandan genocide in '94. Forget Darfur, this is where it is truly at.

I read a few pages of the introduction in bed last night. This is my first music read in maybe two or three years. I hope I'll have a glorious time revisiting my musical coming-of-age period between '80 and '86. My iPod has been running solid on post-punk gems for weeks now.

Last edited by ngeso; 06-08-2011 at 06:15 AM.

After many years of standing in my bookshelf, this year I finally had the guts to take "The Brothers Karamazov" from Dostoyevksy out to read it. Although it took me a lot of time to read it (it's almost 1000 pages) it was much more readable than I thought it would be for Russian literature from the 19th century. The themes in this book are amazingly actual, still to this day and age, and because of the immense depth Dostoyevksy gave his characters I enjoyed every every page of it. This book truly lived up to it's colossal status.

" The Brothers Karamazov is the final novel by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Dostoyevsky spent nearly two years writing The Brothers Karamazov, which was published as a serial in The Russian Messenger and completed in November 1880. Dostoyevsky intended it to be the first part in an epic story titled The Life of a Great Sinner, but he died less than four months after its publication.
    The Brothers Karamazov is a passionate philosophical novel that enters deeply into the ethical debates of God, free will, and morality. It is a spiritual drama of moral struggles concerning faith, doubt, and reason, set against a modernizing Russia. Dostoyevsky composed much of the novel in Staraya Russa, which is also the main setting of the novel. Since its publication, it has been acclaimed all over the world by thinkers as diverse as Sigmund Freud, Albert Einstein, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Martin Heidegger, Cormac McCarthy, Kurt Vonnegut, and Pope Benedict XVIas one of the supreme achievements in literature.
    Facebook

Soundcloud (Latest mix: Late Night Deep-Sea Diving, with tracks from Ron Trent, Joe Claussell, Chez Damier, USG eo)

My Juno Chart

Off the back of watching the 3rd series True Blood en bloque and getting really deeply into Southern music, literature and culture (I've been lost on a total Muscle Shoals/Country/Swamp Rock & Blues trip for the past 3 weeks or so), I came across this read: Nine Lives. A very insightful biographical account of 9 people reflecting on their lives through hurricanes Betsy and Katrina. It's a totally endearing portrayal of New Orleans and its people. I'm very, very smitten...

The actual nine lives:
    http://www.danbaum.com/Nine_Lives/About_Nine_Lives.html

Following in the footsteps of her idols Alice Walker and Toni Morrison, Kola Boof asserts her own literary prowess with a chilling sociopolitical love story.

Set in modern West Africa, Europe, and the U.S., and featuring the kind of heroine readers rarely get to encounter in popular culture--beautiful charcoal-skinned Eternity, a spirited and diabolical young African hellcat whose life is stigmatized by a heart-stopping secret--The Sexy Part of the Bible is an erotically astute novel filled with mystery and adventure.

Enveloped in the arms of a domineering Fela Kuti-type rap star and revolutionary named Sea Horse Twee, Eternity finds herself miraculously surviving several African rebellions--and in the interim, she powerfully unmasks the science of cloning, which becomes a powerful metaphor in the story.

Written with the lush musicality of North African classics, The Sexy Part of the Bible is guaranteed to stay on your mind long after you've put it down.

Kola Boof is the author of several novels and poetry collections, including Flesh and the Devil and Nile River Woman. Her writing has appeared in Harper's and the story collection Politically Inspired. Her autobiography, Diary of a Lost Girl, was published in 2006. She has been interviewed by MSNBC, FOX News, and CNN; and has been featured in TV Guide, Time, the New York Post, and the New York Times. She lives in Southern California.
    I'm just the bartender. Hating me won't make you pretty, thinner or get you served any faster!

Notice when the legend Marshall Jefferson drops knowledge on the P, the clowns aka bedroom DJs go silent!

Every time I sell a bottle of Cristal, a duppy bat kicks a bedroom DJ in the head.

"If you're a BLACK GIRL CHILD with brown/black skin & African hair, then the MOST prejudice & hate U experienced in life came from BLACKS." -- Kola Boof

A fun vitriolic rant. Loving it every day on the train to and from work.

"butterflies in a diving suit" , by Jean-Dominique Bauby
    Signature is blocked

Quote Originally Posted by ngeso View Post
    A fun vitriolic rant. Loving it every day on the train to and from work.

agreed
    Signature is blocked

Three Seconds, by Roslund & Hillstrom.
    Oh, I know very well how I got my name

Awesome shelter - http://spcasuncoast.org

The Strangest Secret, by Earl Nightingale and The Power of Positive Thinking
    Classics, but great stuff if you are into self help books.

I had a great time with God Is Not Great. Which leads me straight to Eyelyn Waugh, whom Hitchens is very troubled about (exceptional author, dodgy religious views, Nazi sympathy, etc.). I need to get stuck in more English classics in any case.

Yeah, I haven't read some classics in a while. I need to get back to that too.

Right now, I'm reading "A Brief Guide to Secret Religions." It's very interesting.
    Oh, I know very well how I got my name

Awesome shelter - http://spcasuncoast.org

I likeded The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was pretty good. Oddly structured, but still quite enjoyable. I will definitely read the other books in the series
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

I had a great time with God Is Not Great. Which leads me straight to Eyelyn Waugh, whom Hitchens is very troubled about (exceptional author, dodgy religious views, Nazi sympathy, etc.). I need to get stuck in more English classics in any case.

http://i1.ujarani.pl/3/0/Hgwut.gif
    Signature is blocked

http://i1.ujarani.pl/3/0/Hgwut.gif
    Signature is blocked

Quote Originally Posted by The Buddy Love Show View Post
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was pretty good. Oddly structured, but still quite enjoyable. I will definitely read the other books in the series
    I saw the movie and while it said; brutal, shocking, not allowed in America I was a bit dissapointed so i didn't rent the other two in the series. I can imagine the book is better than the movie
    Signature is blocked

The Hunger Games trilogy... it's so bad but so good.

After having a spectacularly good time with Brideshead Revisited, and in line with my current Early-20th-Century obsession (my GF thinks I've gone totally nuts), I'm reading Edward Paice's Tip & Run, which is perhaps the most concise up-to-date account of the Great War theatre in East Africa. I had read William Boyd's An Ice Cream War a while back, so I know the territory. I'm also keen to get stuck into either Tim Jeal's Emperors of the Nile or Stanley biography anytime soon.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by El Mayimbe View Post
    just finished:

Yes!!!!!!

http://youtu.be/mU0Q8OeNvxw

Last edited by djfunq; 07-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    Signature is blocked

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m72iWC-0UpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Signature is blocked