Thread: Can I Step? Steppers?

Can someone please explain to me exactly what steppin is or what steppin music is? I just was watching a show on public access and it was called "Can I step". The music sounded like R&B to me but I remember hearing an explanation of this musical style in the past. If someone could help refresh my memory it would be greatly appreciated. [img]graemlins/OLA.gif[/img]

Originally posted by jared:
    Can someone please explain to me exactly what steppin is or what steppin music is? I just was watching a show on public access and it was called "Can I step". The music sounded like R&B to me but I remember hearing an explanation of this musical style in the past. If someone could help refresh my memory it would be greatly appreciated. [img]graemlins/OLA.gif[/img]
    do you mean like step shows like historically black frat step shows?

w
    word

Stepping is a form of dance. It originated in Chicago, and it evolved from a form of "the bop" or "walking". Don't quote me on the exact years but I would say some form of "steppin" has been around since the 40's or earlier with ballroom dancing.

It's music base can be in the form of jazz or blues...or r&b and hip-hop. The tempos can range from 70bpms to 110. Some songs can include James Brown's "Payback", The Temptation's "The Joneses", Michael Bolton's "Can I Touch You There", or R Kelly's "Step In The Name Of Love", or Busta Rhymes & Mariah Carey "I Know What You Want". Just to name a few...

You can step alone or with a partner. There are traditional steppers and there are "freestyle" steppers. Usually the couples are "dressed to the nines from head to toe", and they can be very expressive in their movements or very subtle (sort of like most househeads!).

One of the most famous "Dusty/Stepper Djs" is a gentleman known as Herb Kent "The Cool Gent"...who has been in radio for well over 40 years...

Hope this info helps. Nice fotos Alex Zen!
    ;)
    www.faire1.com
    Change is inevitable.
    Except from a vending machine...

gotta love that flyer the way they list the various places where folks work, why did they leave off the CTA?

Well steppin for me is is a family thing.My mother taught me how to step when I was about 7 or 8 yrs.That was the first form of dance I learned.It's very enjoyable to me and very easy.I like the fact that u can either dance with a partner or alone and you can still enjoy the groove.

Dont get too attached to it.........
    JM3 ON MIX CLOUD

Originally posted by DJ JM3:
    Dont get too attached to it.........
    Why not?
    http://www.nubangclan.com
    http://www.myspace.com/warriornbc

Your sins are the only interesting thing about you dreary bleak muthaf***s - Doug Stanhope

I'm not sure where you live Jared, but there was a piece about stepping on MTV news (Sway was hosting it), I believe that he said the full feature was on MTV.com too.
    http://www.nubangclan.com
    http://www.myspace.com/warriornbc

Your sins are the only interesting thing about you dreary bleak muthaf***s - Doug Stanhope

Originally posted by fred:
    Why not?
    Just a personal view......
    JM3 ON MIX CLOUD

Originally posted by Faire One:
    [QB]Michael Bolton's "Can I Touch You There"
    Now why you gotta mention THE EVIL ONE in a place like DHP?

Originally posted by DJ 138:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Faire One:
    [QB]Michael Bolton's "Can I Touch You There"
    Now why you gotta mention THE EVIL ONE in a place like DHP?</font>[/QUOTE]"THE EVIL ONE"?
    www.faire1.com
    Change is inevitable.
    Except from a vending machine...

I met this man once who was telling me about 'steppin' he also claimed to be one of the best steppers in Chicago during his days... *shrug*

so where are some stepper parties in chicago that are open to newbies?
    gotta keep keep on pushin on

Stepping ain't goin no where.Everyone still is in to it and you even have the youth into it.Tigger dropped R. Kelly step in the name of love Sunday nite and the house went nuts.Average age of patrons 23.

I am not jaded or against the whole thing.I worked at a stepper's joint and after hearing certain tunes day in and day out,I do not like to hear much of the music.I also do not like dressing like a pimp,but that's a whole different subject.

Big ups to them.Maybe some of us house heads can take notes...

Originally posted by JAMIE 3:26:

Big ups to them.Maybe some of us house heads can take notes...
    I agree.......tell 'em J..... maybe it will catch on coming from you.......
    JM3 ON MIX CLOUD

I just picked up a cd entitled 'This is Acid Jazz: Steppin' Out'. It's pretty cool. The back cover reads: This Is Acid Jazz: Steppin' Out captures the groove and energy of the Steppin' scene in Chicago and Atlanta as well as funk, jazz and urban club scenes in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Whether it is the legendary JB Horns, or the funk of Acid Jazz pioneer Chris Bangs (Yada Yada, Soundscape UK) or Woody Cunningham (the beatmaster behind Sylvester and Kleer), Steppin' Out provides the variety of styles that continue to influence both new artists and clubgoers alike! Also providing the universal grooves are internationally renown jazz/soul hybrids Shakatak, Simply Red bandleader and contemporary jazz star Gota, and Seattle's beat maestros, the Sharpshooters. Whether you're hitting the clubs or just the tiles at home, This Is Acid Jazz: Steppin' Out will make you move!

Originally posted by jared:
    steppin has crossed over to house clubs in chicago and has even made it's way to new york. it's sort of made jacking a thing of the past. though it is cool to still see a big jack pit pop up out of nowhere.
    A.K.A. Mystic Bill

I was watchin Love Jones lastnight and the scene in which Lorenz Tate and Nia Long go to that Steppers set is one of my favorites in the entire movie.

Peace

Where is recardo jackson when you need him?
    JM3 ON MIX CLOUD

Originally posted by GROOVE VICTIM:
    I was watchin Love Jones lastnight and the scene in which Lorenz Tate and Nia Long go to that Steppers set is one of my favorites in the entire movie.

Peace
    My fave is the "Baby U Are" video by Gerald Levert. Those cats were in the pimped out gear, some stepping champs in video. [img]hail.gif[/img]
    "I'm so tired of you black people walking round looking evil like that's gonna change something."
    -Dick Gregory.