Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did/do you get inspiration for dancing?

Where did/do you get inspiration for dancing?

Just wondering where people get their inspiration for their unique style of dancing. Did someone teach you, did you watch and learn, or do you just do what comes natural?

For me, I would watch amazing dancers back in the day, pick things I liked from each of them and form it into my own style. And sometimes when the music is so good, things just come out that I've never knew I could do. That's the best feeling in the world.

I'm not sure if anything I do is truly unique. I watched and learned from the older kids when I was 13. Today the music is definitely a major factor. If I'm not feeling the beats I won't dance.

it's the combination of the lyrics, music, and of course, the beats, of house music. it's a spiritual thing that's hard to explain. i just know it when i feel it.

all three things have to come together in a particular way that just makes me move. ...and that's where the dj comes in.
    *hUgz*
    too soon old, too late wise

HaRLeMs HoUSe MuSic!
    www.myspace.com/choices2ndsunday

...feel the Spirit!

I agree with all three of you! I pick up bits & pieces from others I see, the music has to be just right and you add your own things. The vibe of the party also influences & inspires what you do.

Talking

Hi.. very good question..
    I got my style of dancing from watching old black & white musicals.. Of Fred& Ginger..they showed grace and style..Fred had fun with props..that I like.. I loved watching the Nicholas Brothers jumping and dancing.. it wasnt to many black females back then on tv or in the movies.. so Ann Miller was a great tap dancer.. and Donald O'conner.. Debbie Reynolds.. I even liked the way Judy Garland did her thing.. but Sammy Davis Jr. Gregory Hines, Judith Jamison, Eartha Kitt.. I can go on and on .. I used all of what they had, did, and I watched the way they used their hands.. that with growing up in a dancing household.. and going to tap classes.. made me the dancer that I am today.. was raised to do all forms of dance.. my moms was a dancer back in her day..

I remember I used to sit up with all the lights out and watch nothing but musicals..it looked so much fun watching them had me wanting to move my butt to New York, or Hollywood.. just to become a dancer on the big stage..

I LOVE TO DANCE!!!!!
    Last edited by likewater; 08-26-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
    I'm not sure if anything I do is truly unique. I watched and learned from the older kids when I was 13. Today the music is definitely a major factor. If I'm not feeling the beats I won't dance.
    Actually, Bill stole my moves, and I'm trying to get them back

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
    Actually, Bill stole my moves, and I'm trying to get them back

You were dancing a few weeks ago between blends...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dj steve o View Post
    it's the combination of the lyrics, music, and of course, the beats, of house music. it's a spiritual thing that's hard to explain. i just know it when i feel it.

all three things have to come together in a particular way that just makes me move. ...and that's where the dj comes in.
    *hUgz*
    This sounds like me. Younger I used to copy moves from shows like Solid Gold, Fame and videos with Michael Jackson or group dancers. At that time my mane music source was RnB and pop music. It's only when I discovered house music that I started expressing my love for the music through my own style of dancing. Picked up moves from going out in clubs in Montreal but it's only when I started going to NYC and the Shelter that I really got to see other styles of 'house dancing'. Can't do the 'break dance' stuff but when I really feel a track and there's enough space I'll do some floor moves. But the choice of tracks, the lyrics/message, and the crowd as to be right. That's why in Montreal the floor moves don't come as easily. The crowd is often a problem. Not enough real heads the create the proper mood for that type of dancing. NYC and specially Shelter is the place of choice for me. I'm still recovering from a fall on my knee and that hasn't stopped from going out. For me it's all about expressing a feeling through movement than actual dance moves or steps. Only house music brings the openness in me though.

I was just at Shelter yesterday. I wasn't expecting much because Sting was spinning but was thoroughly amazed & impressed by his unique style of play. While some call is safe it set me on a dance session like I had experienced in a long time.

First, the crowd wasn't as thick as usual so space was a huge premium. The music he was laying down all flowed, he has his own way of speaking/spinning with the tunes he dropped & when he dropped them. It wasn't too much nor was it too little. Just a real dope vibe that just developed as it went along.

So i've been going there for quite some time & always says hi to alot of the regular heads. But for some reason, because of the openness I was feeling, I was more expressive in my moves, more in touch with the music, I was just riding tune after tune, lyric after lyric.

This is the funny part, some folks were looking at me & saying shit to me like they just saw me for the first time. Even to the point that superman says, "You've been holding out on us!" LOL. It's not like that at all. It has to be what I like to call the perfect storm, for when all the essential elements everyone spoke of, the music, the crowd, the space to move, etc, all come together on those certain occasions that I can just be FREEE!!

It's not that I don't let loose on other occasions or not really enjoy a groove without "the perfect storm". But to dance like no one's watching & just be free, yesterday was a great day for that.

Gybril put it best one day at Libation. He was going off, doing what he does best on the floor. He was gasping for air, completely drenched in sweat w/ a huge smile on his face. So I offered him some water he declined. I insisted telling him look at you, you're gonna pass out. He laughed out loud & smiled and said,"I love it when I'm like this because I have no control, it just flows." Or something along those lines. Basically saying that when you reach the point of no control is when you can just let loose & let your body & the music take you on a journey where you don't know where you are going to end up but it's all about the journey.

It's not about how you look, how your steps combine or if anyone likes or dislikes what you are putting down. It's about you & the music becoming ONE. Most times when you are there folks (who have been there) will recognize & encourage you as you find your way on "your journey".

Meant alot to me when superman said what he said, but it was another time when Lisa caught me going off another time & she quietly came by later on that morning & told me I peeped you doin your thing & had a huge smile on her face. Yeah, it's real cool when people you respect & admire for their skill & talent recognize & encourage you to keep at yours.

Peace & Blessings.
    May you live to be 100, and me 100 minus a day, so that I'll never know nice people like you have passed away ~ "The Chief Rocker" Frankie Crocker RIP

May I?

I can't/don't really dance anymore (not like I used to)...but I still give it a try from time to time. My mom & dad spent hundreds for me go to dance classes (ballet/toe/tap/modern/African) since they didn't want me to be too gangley given my height. So, in my mind I can see what my body is supposed to be doing. *LOL* However, age & weight sometimes prevent me from doing what I am imagining.

My inspiration comes from: memories, the music, and flashbacks to my various dance performances. (ie 3rd grade talent show "Greatest Love of All"-George Benson) I've actually sometimes been in a trance-like state & I actually forget that people are around. Additionally, a little liquor libation always seems to enhance what I have going on. LOL

When I was little I wanted to be a professional dancer (had it planned & everything)...and since I was in the company of famous dancers (Joanna Wizard Kline, Katherine Dunham, and Judith Jamison)...I always wanted to be just like them. So, from each of these women I took a piece of them with me...and luckily HOUSE is about expression. From Miss Dunham=arms, Miss Jamison=leg extensions, and Miss Wizard Kline=my footwork.

I dance for me...in fact I need to get back into it on a more regular basis...
    'Sugar' and 'Pressure'; Two Things You Should Avoid At All Costs

Well i know when i was around 9/10yrs old i saw this video and said i wanted to dance like that one day lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcrsRAx3Oxc

But i just go with whatever comes out and how im feeling, im not somone who practices,trains or looks in the mirror and follow steps whatever im feeling and however i move just comes out thru the music. I love watching other dancers though its beautiful.

i get the inspiration from the music. if it feels good my limbs worships it and praises it in all its glory. i dont practice anything but i know some of my moves have been taken from everyone who has ever jacked in my presence.

Like Heaven

IMO; Dancing is a spiritual experience and comes from the music, the way it speaks to your soul. There is nothing better than releasing oneself through music itís the best drug I know. I donít know where the moves come from and I give no thought to it. My body surprises me with itís capability every time I go on a journey. I agree with all those that say itís a total loss of control and the feeling is indescribable. I enjoy watching those who get lost and allow themselves to dance like no one is watching. I applaud every dancer and believe every one is a dancer. I live for the day when we can all come together and dance as one. Imagine 100+ people playing; dancing around, between, over and under each other. No partner, no circles, no prefabricated rehearsed steps just people dancing together smiling and laughing and taking a journeyÖ together.
    Last edited by Crescendo2949; 03-18-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Thumbs up Towards a journey together...

Quote Originally Posted by Crescendo2949 View Post
    IMO; Dancing is a spiritual experience and comes from the music, the way it speaks to your soul. There is nothing better than releasing oneself through music itís the best drug I know. I donít know where the moves come from and I give no thought to it. My body surprises me with itís capability every time I go on a journey. I agree with all those that say itís a total loss of control and the feeling is indescribable. I enjoy watching those who get lost and allow themselves to dance like no one is watching. I applaud every dancer and believe every one is a dancer. I live for the day when we can all come together and dance as one. Imagine 100+ people playing; dancing around, between, over and under each other. No partner, no circles, no prefabricated rehearsed steps just people dancing together smiling and laughing and taking a journeyÖ together.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Crescendo2949 View Post
    (((((applauds))))))
    This music was made for stompin!

Wow I have always wanted to answer this question!

I grew up listening to house in New Jersey around 1991. My sister actually put me on to it. My cousin actually started dancing early and I followed a bunch of his moves. He lived close to Zanzibar (Anyone remember that place?)Later on after I left NJ for NC the dancing stopped. I remember seeing Frankie Knuckles come through and tried to get back into it but I never did. Any type of House music is so fucking dead in Charlotte,NC. Charlotte is at least 2 years behind in all forms of electronic music. I moved to California from NC in 1997 when I joined the Marine Corps and tried to listen to house out here but I was married and on serious lock down. 2000 rolled around (literally) and I was introduced to trance (Yay.) As it turns out while on drugs and newly seperated from my ex-wife trance is tolerable. I tried to mix the old school type of dancing with the "norditrac" style that was flooding socal. Around the same time I had picked up salsa dancing and was getting into that. I left california to be closer to the family and took salsa pretty seriously. I entered a few competitions and performances and stuff. It was awsome. I am really good at dancing salsa on1. I moved back out to california about 7 months ago and was introduced to electro,minimal, and progressive house. I like it. I really do but it does not move me like.

Luv Dancin':Sound Underground
    Follow Me:Alyus
    Deep Inside: Forgot who produced it?
    Hot Music:Soho
    Any Strictly Rhythym
    Early Nervous Records
    India
    Little Louie Vega: Before MAW
    CZR
    Todd Terry
    Roger S Before,well I don't know what happened

Does anyone else FEEL me on this type of House?!?!?!?!?!?

Well anyways... I now live in LA (Fucking Woot!!) My life is not bound by my friends choice in music and clubs. I have been to DEEP and it is so fucking good but the next day is monday so I cannot go very often. I guess my mixture of dance is salsa and house. Some kind of fusion. Not salsuno or anything like that but different and I see people peeping me out and stuff, but props are hard to get out here as it is LA but, when you do get them it's real. No one in this town goes out of their way to give props unless you have talent. So if you see a big and tall peruvian (rare) out there dancing some kind of weird but on totally on beat kind of way stop and say hey. I am friendly and just look mean. Really a teddy bear and loved by my family. Just trying to make it out here with no help from anyone. Till then.

http://www.myspace.com/J_76

Dancing has been in my blood for a long time (I've been living the nightlife for going on 14 years come this fall ((just breaching my 30s now)) ).

I think the real inspiration in my case was being told by my mom and my aunt that I couldn't dance at all. Now they were joking about it because my mom was known to tear up a discoteca like it was no one's business, but my dad was not the smoothest mover on the floor, so I was told that I got my "grace" from him.

During that time I spent in my early years growing up my mom was listening to all of the sounds that really fostered the 80s. She was getting Salsoul, Casablance, Prelude, early EMI stuff (I still remember the day she brought home "West End Girls" by PSB, lol), and just was all over the place with her musical aptitude.

By the time I hit middle school and was going to school-sponsored dances was about the same time that New Jack blew up. Things were just cooling off from the Bobby Brown gone solo era and were looking up for both style and expression. I was spending time with my cousins learning to b-boy/pop lock and really focusing on feeling the beat. It was nothing to go to the dance and turn the party out (since I was one of two black kids in my Catholic Jr. High, lol).

I moved up into high school and kinda got out of all the b-boy ish and trying to outwindmill every mofo that tried to step up and got better at actually dancing with the ladies. This was about the time that I got heavy into R n B and the art of the slow jam. It brought about a deeper appreciation for jazz and made me again learn to love the rhythm (because if you get that right on the dancefloor you know your lady is gonna love it at the crib, ;) ).

By the time I hit college and learned how much else was out there, I was getting into fox trot, merengue/salsa (being a salsero is a workout in itself), and really getting into the basic elements of what is now called "improvisational hip hop". A buddy and I were doing so well down here in Dallas that alongside of being offered to start doing courses at Powerhouse Studios (a predominant dance studio in Dallas) that we got an offer from a touring choreographer for Janet Jackson back when she was doing the Velvet Rope tour.

The one that that has remained as a constant throughout ALL my years of dancing is that I've done it with passion. The compliments make it worthwhile, but it's never been my drive. My joy is in meshing with the sound and merrymaking going on with all those AROUND me. I got out of b-boying because most of them want to make the show about them and them only, but I fervently believe that if you and I end up at the same party that I need to respect the dance floor and its space because you came to enjoy it all just like I did. There's no need to make the party about you because it is all of US that make these things what they are.

It really is a spiritual thing. A body thing. A soul thing.

;)

Just for craps and giggles, I decided to add two clips I have up of myself:

These vids are about 3 years old and filmed in a very cramped kitchen space (was the best area for dancing/practice on confined movement training for those times when you have very limited space on the dance floor. I know you dancers know what I'm talking about).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQERPEPfcUY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_C0YoslmsE
    Last edited by Rufus P. Funk; 03-16-2009 at 05:24 AM.
    \"Time makes more converts than reason.\"

Angry The Dancer Yaa Leo Kity

I got to keep on dancing because music is my life....Ms. Patty..
    I am a dancer it is a spiritual connection to my ancestors, my present and my future...
    The music makes me change my style...I like beats, tracks, but some funky jazz can get it for me...
    It is outter sex for me sometime..I can get a serious release with the right temple and partner. House music allows me to express myself freely and not be afraid to sweat! Some people are afraid to let it go...But in the right settings it is a ritual and I can call up spirtits or enchantment! It is poetry in movement!
    I FEEL LOVE!!!
    The right DJ can make it happen for me, so beat the box at every turn!
    Sista Yaa
    Yaa Simpson

from the music
    Your Opinion of me is really none of my business...

Francesca Magliano on Facebook
    Francesca Magliano podcast mixes

In music if i like it a lot of ideas goes to my head, also i like to walk alone in some places where i get absolutely alone can turn my ipod and just dance
    Have seen all myspace backgrounds,wanna bet?

dancing inspiration...

my many older brothers and sisters always had me in their arms dancing around the house to the music (all kinds) that was always playing in our home...

when i was in my early teens my brother would take me with him to empire skating rink...he was hell on wheels & i was his cute little sister who could dance & skate...i thought i was the ish, a little kid hanging with the big dogggssss...he shamelessly used me as a pawn to draw women...lol...great memories though...i learned a lot of moves in this scene...

but the undisputed factors on my dance style are undoubtedly the peurto ricans in the bronx....if i had a nickle for all the times we puffed on cheeba, hustled, mambo/salsa in the park all day long week after week, month after month...............good lord the cheeba was good.............................................. oh yeah...i remember all the wonderful moves & styling & incorporate them into my regular steps all the time!

Thumbs up Dancing My Life My Gift.My Joy.

For myself dancing came as a gift. Being able to grasp a dance move that was shown on television, or being able to ID, a James Brown move to my Grand dads 45's. I may be telling my age but this will inspire a young up and coming dancer to go fwd and take dancing a little more serious. To dance is to express, to express is to feel. From Hip Hop to House, to Broadway to big screen I have been blessed to do all. I owe this to the Art of dance, which I like to call Creative Movement.

Please note I dance till this day for a living and also for my self preservation. To inspire another to simply Dance is something that we who have the gift should continue to do. For our Health,and for freedom. Can Dancing pay your bills? Yes. Please "UNDERSTAND" money is not everything but is needed to live. MTV was one of the best and worst times for me as a dancer, I Gained an audience on the Grind and all the Workout videos, but at the same time i became a number and a face and found out that I could easily be replaced. INSPIRATION. Something that inspires you cannot be replaced.

What inspires me now? The days of Myself, Voodoo Ray, Bryan Footwork Green Ejoe, Boy Wonder, Errol T.Claxton, Kevin, being in those Circles teaching each other and at the same time battle cry.

Rock Steady, NYC BREAKERS, BOMB SQUAD, JAM CREATION, and More. Our ancestors from Africa, Asia, Middle East, and all over the world Dancing to be free.

The objective. I Dance to be free.. Thank You for letting me post.

Respect to the masses Ras Anthony S. Wiggins.
    www.facebook.com/anthonywiggins
    www.myspace.com/rasanthony
    www.cima-recordings.com

my old older brothers & sis....and watching crazy legs, ken swift, mr. freeze

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-z2xGc2TOc
    Last edited by DJ RodWOne; 10-29-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    I'll House You!

This is a great question .....

I started going to Dance fuctions at Public School 19
    in Brooklyn, Williamsburg and only at the tender age
    of 12 I was watching all the really nice Dancers and
    I copy the moves right there and then we were up
    rocking back in the early 70's and also The Hustle was
    popular then.

Those were some great times........Tee Cee 13 ZZCrew

tc13
    Good Things Come To Those Who Wait.

http://cyberjamz.com