Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper dress for an interview

Proper dress for an interview

Not that anyone here need to know.But just in case you do.My little cousin came over last night to chill.He told me he had just come an interview and i was floored.Money had on a snorkel,construction timbs,a big diamond braclet on and dress pants.And a yankee's fitted turned to the side.

I asked him if this is how he went into the reception area and he replied yes.That job is pretty much in the can.Does'nt he know that they will ask the receptionist about his behavior and appreance before the interview got started.I did'nt say another word because i knew the deal on him and that job.Anyway read on

How to Dress for an Interview
    An article in U.S.A. Today spoke about candidates for jobs wearing jeans, purple sweat suits, and spike heels or sneakers. Other applicants weren't afraid to show pierced body parts and spiked hair. Still others chewed gum or showed up in rumpled clothes or with their pants falling down. One recruiter even told a candidate with his trousers down below his hips, to "Pull your pants up." According to the article, the outlandish dress costs some candidates the job.

Dress Your Best When Interviewing

Does it really make a difference how you dress for an interview? In many cases, it does. I'll never forget the gentleman I interviewed for an accounting position. He had been out of work for a few months and wanted to show me why.

Sponsored Links
    Womens Professional Style
    A woman's guide to dressing for success. (Web Video)
    www.genonow.com

Interviewing Questions
    Sample questions & safe interviewing tips you can use now.
    WorkforceCentralFlorida.com

Business Casual Selection
    Coordinated officewear delivered Work Hard...Play Hard...We'll shop
    www.OutfitEZ.com
    He took off his jacket, unbuttoned his shirt and started to pull down his pants (this is a true story) to show me the scar from a boat propeller that had injured him. He didn't get the job. Neither did the young lady in a bright red skirt so short and tight that she could hardly sit down!
    In the conservative business climate I worked in at the time, appearances did matter. In other environments it isn't as important. However, it does make sense to dress your best for the interview, regardless of the dress code at the organization. If you're in doubt about how to dress for an interview, it is best to err on the side of conservatism. It is much better to be overdressed than underdressed (or undressed).

According to Kim Zoller at Image Dynamics, 55% of another person's perception of you is based on how you look. Her Dressing for Success information gives some tips on how to look your best, without necessarily spending a lot of money. Here's a quick look at the basics:

Women's Interview Attire

Solid color, conservative suit
    Coordinated blouse
    Moderate shoes
    Limited jewelry
    Neat, professional hairstyle
    Tan or light hosiery
    Sparse make-up & perfume
    Manicured nails
    Portfolio or briefcase
    Men's Interview Attire

Solid color, conservative suit
    White long sleeve shirt
    Conservative tie
    Dark socks, professional shoes
    Very limited jewelry
    Neat, professional hairstyle
    Go easy on the aftershave
    Neatly trimmed nails
    Portfolio or briefcase
    More Interview Help:

How to Dress for an Interview
    How to make a great first impression.

Job Interview Attire
    How, and how not, to dress for an interview..

How to Dress for Success
    A quick guide to dressing for an interview.

Interview Etiquette
    Interviewing can be even more stressful when you are expected to eat and talk at the same time. Here's how to survive a lunch or dinner interview.

Interview Questions and Answers
    As I proceed to civilize the uncivilized
    Word to wisdom from the groove to the wise
    I guess im the verbalizer for the fact im moving blackwards
    This asiatic blackman is a dog spelled backwards

Brand Nubian dropping science.

wth is a snorkel? besides a cartoon from when i was a kid?

Kara it's a northface jacket with fur around the hood.You see how it would look odd with dressy clothes.

You got the JOB!!!!!!
    "The D'Vine One Radio Show"
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-d-...radio-show#_=_
    Every Sunday 12-5 pm cst.

btw, i don't know if this is real science/proves anything ... but

for a long time, I only half followed the advice for women and interviewing, and got nowhere.

I then followed the advice(above) to the letter, and almost always starting getting called in for at least a second interview, many times third interviews [and ultimately got this job] AND I mean, i did it all, including: carefully did my nails short, w/clear nailpolish; put my hair back in a loose bun with no straggly curls coming out; one mini squirt of perfume; high end brown or navy (plain or pinstripe) pantsuits with extremely sharp matching silk blouses; always wore tan/nude kneehigh stockings with my heels even if I personally felt wearing none looked fine, or the heat made me wish to wear none; etc.

I went from (in my early 20s) walking in to interviews with funky dress pants and a blouse, with my nose ring, tongue ring, big curly hair out and about, funky nailpolish, etc. TO looking like I came out of an Ann Taylor ad.

and it worked.
    Last edited by kara; 11-15-2007 at 02:14 PM.

This was the footwear,construction timbs

I understand what you mean kara.He was going for a mailroom position in a Lawfirm.He should have known better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Hyman Cherry View Post
    I understand what you mean kara.He was going for a mailroom position in a Lawfirm.He should have known better.
    He might get it. Maybe he wow'ed them with his personality?

Lol.He would have to be super charming.

Timbs and dress pants DAMN!
    I saw this chick come in for an interview yesterday (not for my company) she had on a cropped gray sweatshirt hoody, camouflage mini skirt, gray leggings with stockings attached and black thigh high boots. Everybody in the lobby looked like . I hope she got the job hehe
    (\_/) "Recognizeth an attention
    (O.-)whore when thou doth sees
    (___) it, and then ignoreth its ass" - SuzanneT 1:1

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" -Anais Nin

hahaaaaaaaaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by kara View Post
    ... i did it all, including: carefully did my nails short, w/clear nailpolish; put my hair back in a loose bun with no straggly curls coming out; one mini squirt of perfume; high end brown or navy (plain or pinstripe) pantsuits with extremely sharp matching silk blouses; always wore tan/nude kneehigh stockings with my heels even if I personally felt wearing none looked fine, or the heat made me wish to wear none; etc. ...

Don't forget the ace bandage, wrapped tightly around ya tits too

Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

"I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post

Don't forget the ace bandage around ya tits too

button downs, buttoned all the way up, for sure. ;)

The problem is these kids are always thinking "street". You have to school them. I took my sons and bought them wool overcoats, raincoats, shirts, pants, ties, belts & shoes. When they dress properly, they feel better about themselves. When they come home, then out comes the Ed Hardy, Christian Audiger and other clothes they like. Now I have to hide my ties, because they wanna wear them all the time!

Unfortunately a lot of poor folks do not understand the distinctions between what is considered nice attire based in upper-class mores.

I see so many black and Latino office workers or wannabees mistaking their club clothes for dress clothes. Which really there is nothing wrong with that, unless you’re trying to get a job working for the man.

For men I will tell you what I always say, always dress like a gay republican.
    Last edited by Bill Blake; 11-15-2007 at 05:04 PM.

As a recruiter, I've learned that not everyone has a grasp on how to dress for an interview. I now tell my candidates explicitly to wear a properly fitting dark suit, nice shoes, a nice tie, a clean, pressed shirt, and to shave and get a haircut if need be. You'd think that most of this would be common sense, especially the clean part, but after having one guy show up for an interview with a white shirt on that looked like his cat pissed all over it before he left home, I leave nothing to chance. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

"As a recruiter, I've learned that not everyone has a grasp on how to dress for an interview. I now tell my candidates explicitly to wear a properly fitting dark suit, nice shoes, a nice tie, a clean, pressed shirt, and to shave and get a haircut if need be. You'd think that most of this would be common sense, especially the clean part, but after having one guy show up for an interview with a white shirt on that looked like his cat pissed all over it before he left home, I leave nothing to chance. You only get one chance to make a first impression." originally posted by les cole"

i feel ya les as a Human Resource Director and Early child care educator. i can truly share some horror stories on how people of all persuasions come to interviews inapproprietly dressed aka club wear / street wear/ hooker attire. i always say dress to impress (clean appearrance well groomed). once one gets the job they are then told of the dress policy.

The other day my SO freind came over he was going to an interview.

He had on:

White Tee
    Sneakers
    Jeans..

My SO gave him a shirt and shoes.. He wasnt going for an office job but damn still look more representable..

Somewhere on Chicago's "Sookie Sookie" Southside!
    Quote Originally Posted by MYOR View Post
    The other day my SO freind came over he was going to an interview.

He had on:

White Tee
    Sneakers
    Jeans..

My SO gave him a shirt and shoes.. He wasnt going for an office job but damn still look more representable..
    What is wrong with folks these days?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...95&ref=profile
    Old men start wars that young men fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Red View Post
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

"I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Red View Post
    But, cant you get, like, chrome splinters doin that?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneT View Post
    Timbs and dress pants DAMN!
    I saw this chick come in for an interview yesterday (not for my company) she had on a cropped gray sweatshirt hoody, camouflage mini skirt, gray leggings with stockings attached and black thigh high boots. Everybody in the lobby looked like . I hope she got the job hehe
    am sure she had something else to wear, too lazy to pick up other clothes for an interview?
    Jack4House ♪ http://jack4house.org/
    The UnUsual Suspects
    http://www.myspace.com/time2jack_japan
    facebook http://www.facebook.com/liliko

its also about INDUSTRY and honing your personality to fit the interview.

example:

Im a network engineer and a messaging engineer. A white male dominated environment and I have a strong personality and a voluptuous figure.

So I don't wear alot of makeup, I wear a "naked and neutral" look with the makeup.

I wear my hair str8 not my wild wet and curly look. If I have color in my hair at the time I wear it pulled back into a neat bun to hide the color.

A mentor of mine told me years ago: "You have a strong personality, you should always try and wear skirt suits for interviews." I do and it works for me.

I dont wear dangling earrings. Always studs (usually my diamond studs ) subtle but makes a statement that Im not cheap! lol
    also I wear my trench coat.. not a leather or fur.

for you men out there... Pink Ties should NEVER be worn to an interview *YUCK!!*
    F.O.N.O- The Sag Party
    Dec 3 @ The Paradox 1310 Russell Str.
    Wayne Davis and Mark Mendoza
    Hosted by Moo.