Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SERIOUS QUESTION. Re: Unsolicited resume submissions. Your honest thoughts on this?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The House of Saud. ;-)
    Posts
    1,100

    Question SERIOUS QUESTION. Re: Unsolicited resume submissions. Your honest thoughts on this?

    ....

    Aight peeps, look, most of the times I'll clown around here, make frivolous and jocular posts/threads just create some wild fanfare and colorful excitement around here, and the occasional serious chatter and bantering in the politics threads, but this is a serious inquiry for a change, folks.


    Simple question: What are your thoughts on unsolicited CV submissions?


    Typically, unsolicited resume submissions are razed and frowned upon, but is there a 'courteous way' per se to drop your profile/bio to a Managing Partner, Executive VP, Sr. Managing Director, et al. or anyone with a hiring mandate? i.e.: Say you meet someone at a cocktail party and trade biz cards, or seated beside someone important during a flight, or just cross paths with someone of sheer importance and you wish to express desire in working for his/her organization, by saying something subliminal along the lines of : "I would be looking at making lateral moves, keep me in mind, etc.".?!?!?!?!


    Among the morally bankrupt sex fiends and the likes on here, still, I find that DHP has a multitude of diverse knowledge base, and would like some insight and conjecture on this, folks.

    ....
    The way TRUE PROPER HOUSE MUSIC always was, is, and should be: Deep, Soulful, Funky, Thumpin', Disco elemented, & Melodious!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,031
    Quote Originally Posted by House Music Boy View Post
    ....

    Simple question: What are your thoughts on unsolicited CV submissions?


    Typically, unsolicited resume submissions are razed and frowned upon, but is there a 'courteous way' per se to drop your profile/bio to a Managing Partner, Executive VP, Sr. Managing Director, et al. or anyone with a hiring mandate? i.e.: Say you meet someone at a cocktail party and trade biz cards, or seated beside someone important during a flight, or just cross paths with someone of sheer importance and you wish to express desire in working for his/her organization ...
    Aside from some companies not allow it (citing liability reasons) - sending Unsolicited resumes are where it's at ... and the person could be anyone, from the person one thinks is important, to the part-time admin with a mainline to a decisionmaker, to someone that has a contact elsewhere (that they pass your resume along to)
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NYC Area
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by House Music Boy View Post
    ....

    Aight peeps, look, most of the times I'll clown around here, make frivolous and jocular posts/threads just create some wild fanfare and colorful excitement around here, and the occasional serious chatter and bantering in the politics threads, but this is a serious inquiry for a change, folks.


    Simple question: What are your thoughts on unsolicited CV submissions?


    Typically, unsolicited resume submissions are razed and frowned upon, but is there a 'courteous way' per se to drop your profile/bio to a Managing Partner, Executive VP, Sr. Managing Director, et al. or anyone with a hiring mandate? i.e.: Say you meet someone at a cocktail party and trade biz cards, or seated beside someone important during a flight, or just cross paths with someone of sheer importance and you wish to express desire in working for his/her organization, by saying something subliminal along the lines of : "I would be looking at making lateral moves, keep me in mind, etc.".?!?!?!?!


    Among the morally bankrupt sex fiends and the likes on here, still, I find that DHP has a multitude of diverse knowledge base, and would like some insight and conjecture on this, folks.

    ....

    Better than the Dumb Ass that came in yesterday with his resume on a flash drive..
    Musically Yours
    Soulful House Music Collage
    Free mixes
    Soulful House Music Collage Radio
    http://soulfulhousemusiccollage.com
    The Blog http://soulfulhousemusiccollage.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,031
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMasterMixer View Post
    Better than the Dumb Ass that came in yesterday with his resume on a flash drive..
    Tree Hugger?
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The House of Saud. ;-)
    Posts
    1,100

    Thumbs up Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Aside from some companies not allow it (citing liability reasons) - sending Unsolicited resumes are where it's at ... and the person could be anyone, from the person one thinks is important, to the part-time admin with a mainline to a decisionmaker, to someone that has a contact elsewhere (that they pass your resume along to)


    DaveR: Thanks for the insightful and cogent response. Much appreciated.


    So, would you suggest that I send in my CV, bio, transcripts (if applicable), etc. with a short & brief covering as to outlining my intentions/career objectives? In other words, can you suggest as to how would I approach a specific individual, say if doing this via e-mail?


    What I want to ensure is ---- it doesn’t go to the gatekeeper (i.e.: admin assistant/recruiter, etc), and goes to the recycle bin/paper shredder, but instead directly to the manager/director/partner/VP/etc. with hiring powers.

    ….


    Quote Originally Posted by OneMasterMixer View Post
    Better than the Dumb Ass that came in yesterday with his resume on a flash drive..

    Do tell! Have to run now; will check back later in a bit.


    ....
    Last edited by House Music Aficionado; 04-23-2008 at 02:03 PM.
    The way TRUE PROPER HOUSE MUSIC always was, is, and should be: Deep, Soulful, Funky, Thumpin', Disco elemented, & Melodious!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,031
    Quote Originally Posted by House Music Boy View Post
    DaveR: Thanks for the insightful and cogent response. Much appreciated.

    So, would you suggest that I send in my CV, bio, transcripts (if applicable), etc. with a short & brief covering as to outlining my intentions/career objectives? In other words, can you suggest as to how would I approach a specific individual, say if doing this via e-mail?

    What I want to ensure is ---- it doesn’t go to the gatekeeper (i.e.: admin assistant/recruiter, etc), and goes to the recycle bin/paper shredder, but instead directly to the manager/director/partner/VP/etc. with hiring powers.

    ...
    (my position and actions on this are different than the norm)

    I think your CV should already tell the person what your intentions/career objectives are --- unless you are entry level, right out of school, or doing a drastic change of industry/job

    So no Cover Letter ... just a short/sweet line in your email that says "Nice meeting you ... attached is my resume for your review, and for the future ... you can contact me anytime at XXX-XXX-XXXX"

    IMHO, if they are interested, they will read your CV ... if not, they certainly won't read more information than is necessary

    DR
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NYC Area
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Tree Hugger?

    Haaa haaaa LMAO

    Really don't get that crap. I have never seen someone show up with a resume and ask the employer to print it.

    Talk about nerve.

    (Big ups HMB
    Musically Yours
    Soulful House Music Collage
    Free mixes
    Soulful House Music Collage Radio
    http://soulfulhousemusiccollage.com
    The Blog http://soulfulhousemusiccollage.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,425
    Quote Originally Posted by House Music Boy View Post
    ....

    Aight peeps, look, most of the times I'll clown around here, make frivolous and jocular posts/threads that are so dimwitted they just BORE THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYONE HERE
    fixed

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Shell Beach
    Posts
    6,912
    I think you'd be remiss to send them your C.V. after brief chit-chat somewhere. Have you exchanged business cards? Did you talk long enough to leave the impression that you're the type of hire their firm needs?

    At the risk of running afoul of ManLaw, I'd phone/email them and invite them out for lunch first. Don't bring your resume - too presumptive.
    "Tattooed men who are not behind bars are either latent criminals or degenerate aristocrats. If someone who is tattooed dies in freedom, then he does so a few years before he would have committed murder." -- Adolf Loos

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •