Thread: The Urban Coalition Summer Pro basketball Tournament(Washington DC)

The Urban Coalition Summer Pro basketball Tournament(Washington DC)

For the cats/young ladies, Who go way back to the 70's, Cats will most definitely remember, 'The Urban Coalition', Summer Pro Basketball tournament, Which was played at American University and the University of DC, In Washington DC, During the 70's and 80's, I don't have that much information

To build about in regards to, 'The Urban Coalition', Summer Pro basketball tournament, But, I do remember, Going to more than a few games for the 'Urban Coalition', Summer Pro basketball Tournament, Going back to 1976,

Cats that i remember, Playing at, 'The Urban Coalition', Summer Pro basketball Tournament, Were, Some of the best cats in the Maryland,Washington DC, Virginia area, Featuring cats like:Adrian Dantley(DeMatha HS/Notre Dame),Kenny Carr(DeMatha HS/North Carolina State),Clyde Austin(Maggie Walker HS/North Carolina State),Moses Malone(Petersburg HS/Utah Stars in

The ABA),JoJo Hunter(Dunbar HS in Washington, DC/Maryland),Edgar Jones(New Mexico state),Al King(Fort Hamiltion HS/Maryland),Buck Williams(Rocky Mount HS/Maryland),Skip Wise(Dunbar HS in Baltimore,Maryland/Clemson),

Dob Dandridge(Norfolk State/Washington Bullets),Tom Henderson(Clinton HS/Washington Bullets),Elvin Hayes(Washington Bullets), Truck Robinson(Washington Bullets), Hawkeye Whitney(DeMatha HS/North Carolina State),Dudley Bradley(North Carolina/Indiana Pacers),Dave Bing

(Syracuse/Detroit Pistons),Duck Williams(Dunbar HS/Notre Dame),Kevin Porter(St.Francis University in Pennsylvania/Washington Bullets),Bingo Smith(Cleveland Cavaliers),Phil Chenier(Washington Bullets),(Etc, The Urban Coalition, Pro-Summer Basketball Tournament, Was one of the tougest Pro-

Summer tournaments, In the Country, Back in the 70's/80',s(Along with The Rucker in New York, The Baker League in Philadelphia, The Atlanta Pro Summer league in Atlanta,Georgia, And, The Los Angeles Pro summer league at Malibu beach in California), Though, I was not up on the summer Pro

Tournaments in Chicago and other cities across the country, Cats can feel free to build about any summer pro tournaments in there city, Nowdays, The Urban Coalition summer Pro Basketball Tournament, Is called, The Kenner League, And, The Games are played at Georgetown University(McDonagh Gym).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

I went when they moved it to Dunbar High. Got a chance to see Ray and Gus Williams, Earl Jones and Michael Britt from UDC. Mugsy Boges, Tommy Branch (Adrian's brother). I use to look forward to going every summer!!!

JW, Ray and Gus Williams, Were mad tough my man(Especially, Gus Williams, In a summer tournament environment too/LOL), Earl Jones(6'11 cat, From West Virginia in the mid to late 70's), Was nice too, JW, One of my boys played in a Highschool tournament in West Virginia, In the summer of 1978,

Which featured:Earl Jones(Who was one of the top players in the country as a Junior in highschool in 1978), Terry Cummings(DePaul),Bernard Randolph(DePaul),Isiah Thomas(Indiana),Bruce Douglass(Illonois), Efrem Winters(Illinois),Russell Cross(Purdue),Raymond McCoy(San Francisco/DePaul),Etc,

My man played for Riverside Church, Which featured:Gary Springer(Iona),Sid Green(UNLV),Mike Moses(Flordia/St.John's),Vern Giscombe(Conneticut),Red Bruin(Syracuse),Bill Sadler(Pepperdine),Stu Granger(Villanova),Steve Burtt(Iona),Etc, My man mentioned, That the two cats that put in the most work in the tournament in West Virginia, Were, Earl Jones and Isiah Thomas/LOL),

JW, Didn't Michael Britt(6'9 cat from Washington DC), Play for The University of DC with Earl Jones, During the early 80's my man(I could be wrong on that though my man/LOL), On the low, Earl Jones was supposed to go to Kentucky in 1979, But, Earl Jones grades were mad low, So, Earl Jones decided to go to

The University of DC in 1979, If i remember correctly, Earl Jones played for the Los Angeles Lakers, During the mid 80's, For a few too, JW, The Crew from Chicago, Took the Highschool Tournament in West Virginia, During the summer of 1978 my man(LOL).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Somewhere on Chicago's "Sookie Sookie" Southside!
    Miss the good tourneys here in Chicago during the 80s, a free night of good basketball talent from college to pro and many cats from overseas leagues.

The Budweiser-Michelob tournament games at Chicago State were legendary, in line at 530pm for 7pm/9pm doubleheader games if you were lucky to get in.

Things have changed today, Chicago isn't on the map much in regards to major talent, Derrick Rose might be the brightest spark to come out of Chicago in a while.

Oh the memories, seeing a young Isaiah, Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings, Ricky Green and many others who ripped it up in Chicago.

Are there any street legends in Chicago anymore, truly an era that defined the 70s/80s.

I know that NYC repped the hardwood hard back in the day, they're reputation is legendary.

Props to street legends and those who made the jump to the big time.
    Last edited by chldfknungrnd764; 06-12-2008 at 05:11 PM.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...95&ref=profile
    Old men start wars that young men fight.

Yeah, Michael Britt and Earl Jones won a National Championship at UDC

JW, Do you remember a cat from Queens,New York, Who played for Howard University by the name of Mike Gibson(6'4, Lightskinned cat), Mike Gibson, Played for Howard University from 1981-1985(Another cat from Queens,New York, Who played for Howard University, By the name of Howard Ringer/6'0

Dark skinned cat with a frederick Douglass/afro/LOL), JW, Do you remember a cat by the name of Dominick Pressely/Rip(Who played for Dunbar Highschool, With, Johnny Dawkins in the late 70's to 1981), Dominick Pressely(6'3 darkskinned cat who had mad D with his/LOL), Dominick Pressley, Used to

Play in the backcourt for Boston College(Coached by Gary Williams back then from 1982-1986), JW, Didn't a cat by the name of Joe Binion(6'9 cat, Who played for North Carolina A&T, During the early to mid 80's), Come from Washington DC, Too may man.
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

I don't recall the names, but to tell you the truth Howard wasn't that good back then. Johnny Dawkins graduated from Mackin if my memory serves me correct. Sherman Douglass graduated from Dunbar.

JW, Howard was mad wack back in the 80's my man(WORD/LOL), JW, Good lookin with the information on Mackin Highschool in Washington DC(I could not remember that shit/LOL), Former Mackin(Which is an Catholic School, If i remember correctly), Alumni, Include:Johnny Dawkins(Duke),Dominick Pressely(Boston College),Duck Williams(Notre Dame),Etc, JW, Sherman Douglass,

Played for Springarn Highschool, In Washington DC, I have the 1985 Capital Classic, Highschool Allstar game on VHS tape/LOL, Sherman Douglas, Was the 1985, Washington, DC, Player of the year, Out of Springarn Higshool, A cat by the name of Earl Moore(5'11 cat in the backcourt for Cardoza Highschool in Washington, DC, Was the leading scorer in Washington,DC, In 1985, Earl Moore averaged 30 a game/LOL).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Yeah, I stand corrected on Sherman Douglass!

JW, The 1985 Capitol Classic(Played at The Landover Arena, In Landover,Maryland), Featured: The United States, All-Americans vs The Washington DC,Maryland,Virginia, Allstars, Cats who played for the United States All-American crew, Were, Kenny Wilson(Villanova),Michael Porter(St.John's),Kevin Madden(North Carolina),Tito Horford(Houston),Etc, The Washington DC, Crew, Feartured:Sherman Douglass(Syracuse), Tim Lewis

(Virginia Tech),Walker Lamboitte(North Carolina State),Earl Moore(Cardoza highschool in Washington DC), Danny Ferry(Duke),Etc, Cats like Rod Strickland(DePaul),Boo Harvey(St.John's),Jeff Lebo(Who was The National Player of the year in 1985/North Carolina),Poo Richardson(UCLA),Etc, Did not play in the Capitol Classic(Because, Cats could only play in two allstar games back then in 1985, Opposed to the 70's, When, Cats could play in as many AllStar games, That, Was on the highschool basketbll circuit/LOL), JW, Boo Harvey,

Was signed to go to Syracuse in 1985(Boo Harvey, Signed his letter of intent in March of 1985), But, Boo Harvey's SAT scores, Were mad low, So, Boo Harvey, Decided to go to San Jac(San Jacinto Junior College in Texas), In 1985 to 19870, Thus, Giving Jim Bohiem the opportunity to sign another guard to bring the ball up behind Pearl(Pearl Washington), in 1985, Which, Turned

Out to be Sherman Douglass(LOL),chldfknungrnd764, One of the first cats that i heard about, From Chicago, During the early/Mid 80's(That i had never seen play before, Was, Eddie Hughes my man(A cat from Uptown/Harlem, Was building with me about Eddie Hughes, Back in the early/mid 80's, My man mentioned that Eddie Hughes had rocked Isiah Thomas in a summer tournament in Chicago, During the early/mid 80's(I would have loved to see Eddie Hughes play, Along with Lamar Mondane).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes