Thread: How to you get/make mild BBQ Sauce?

How to you get/make mild BBQ Sauce?

Anyone have any methods on how to make mild sauce like what you get from the rib joints? If not where can you buy some? I tried Curt's but it's not the taste I like.

My friend swears by Open Pit. I think it is fine, but I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's.

-M J
    "There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people."

Quote Originally Posted by TAB. View Post
    Anyone have any methods on how to make mild sauce like what you get from the rib joints? If not where can you buy some? I tried Curt's but it's not the taste I like.
    I make my own.. from stratch.. Hot sauce(not to much), mustard, ketchup, vinager, crushed red peppers, salt & pepper, and some Alga Syrup it has molasses in it, then you mix,, and taste..I do add a bottle of store brand sauce to give it a small kick..
    you can make the way you want.. if its not spice enough add a tad more Mustard, I love making my own..then place on the grill, it will slow cook all day.. place it in the corner of the grill.. Mannnnnnnnnnnn My grandmother and all of my uncles use to do it like that.. Flavor.. and brush the sauce on the meat and lick your fingers when its all done.. TASTY!!!!
    The END!

Quote Originally Posted by 'Magic' Juan View Post
    My friend swears by Open Pit. I think it is fine, but I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's.

-M J
    Both are whacked. I'm so sick of Baby ray's. I may just roll by Harolds and ask them to sell me a batch.

Quote Originally Posted by likewater View Post
    I make my own.. from stratch.. Hot sauce(not to much), mustard, ketchup, vinager, crushed red peppers, salt & pepper, and some Alga Syrup it has molasses in it, then you mix,, and taste..I do add a bottle of store brand sauce to give it a small kick..
    you can make the way you want.. if its not spice enough add a tad more Mustard, I love making my own..then place on the grill, it will slow cook all day.. place it in the corner of the grill.. Mannnnnnnnnnnn My grandmother and all of my uncles use to do it like that.. Flavor.. and brush the sauce on the meat and lick your fingers when its all done.. TASTY!!!!
    The END!
    Damn, it takes all that! Someone else said the same. though.

Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce with a smidge of Tapatio

A friend of mine makes this and I drown everything in it. If you like a sweet, tangy taste that has a little kick to it then this the shit. I don't know the recipe off hand so I'll have to ask him, but I know it has the following:

-Dijon Mustard
    -Honey
    -Tapatio
    -Olive Oil
    -a little bit of garlic and green onions (not a lot just enough for flavor)

mix all that shit until it's super smooth then get your favorite brush and paint your dead animal of choice.

enjoy!

p.s. don't sleep on jack daniels glaze either. i know it sounds cheesy but it's actually pretty good.

Are you talking about this, AD?

By far my absolute favorite hot sauce.

-M J
    "There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people."

I like open pit too, but you gotta doctor on it a bit.

simmer the sauce with some sliced yellow onions, seaonings (seasoning salt, garlic, black pepper), maybe a splash of 'liquid smoke', maybe a slice of lemmon

please don't ask me about quantities of the above ingredients (not my forte)

of course, you could always slide thru Lem's (east on 75th)

my aunt is vegetarian, but she's brought home giant gallons of their delishee-us sauce before
    How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me. - Zora Neale Hurston

Go to the store & get some Bone Suckin' Sauce...original & spicy. It's tasty.

But I also will get some store bought b-b-q sauce & doctor it up. My tastebuds require that I never go mild. I need to feel it.
    My momma taught me how to talk trash...and my daddy taught me how to back it up!

Quote Originally Posted by ProvocativeElement View Post

my aunt is vegetarian, but she's brought home giant gallons of their delishee-us sauce before
    I didn't know if they'd sell it, by the bottle or jug. I may have to ask about that, tonite.

Last edited by LEONARD REMIX RROY; 07-03-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Magic' Juan View Post
    Are you talking about this, AD?

By far my absolute favorite hot sauce.

-M J
    that's the one. valentina's is also pretty good, but taptio is king.

I like the regular Cattleman's. Though I'm not sure if it's available in your area. It's not too bold and a little sweet.

Damn, it takes all that! Someone else said the same. though.
    Tab!! that is no more then 15mins of fam. and you make it the way you want it to taste.. Plus.. you do this while the meat is cooking.. and you dont put it on the meat until the meat is falling off the bone.. burgers, hotdogs, whatever... all taste good with homemade sauce.. So cook that sauce on a low simmer.. and call it .. GET da Cooking sauce man..

Quote Originally Posted by ProvocativeElement View Post
    I like open pit too, but you gotta doctor on it a bit.

simmer the sauce with some sliced yellow onions, seaonings (seasoning salt, garlic, black pepper), maybe a splash of 'liquid smoke', maybe a slice of lemmon

please don't ask me about quantities of the above ingredients (not my forte)

See this is becoming homemade.. I only use the bottle when I need a extra kick.. You are making your own now women.. LOL.. Tab better stop playing and put that sauce on simmer.. and go make a salade..

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce with a smidge of Tapatio

A friend of mine makes this and I drown everything in it. If you like a sweet, tangy taste that has a little kick to it then this the shit. I don't know the recipe off hand so I'll have to ask him, but I know it has the following:

-Dijon Mustard
    -Honey
    -Tapatio
    -Olive Oil
    -a little bit of garlic and green onions (not a lot just enough for flavor)

mix all that shit until it's super smooth then get your favorite brush and paint your dead animal of choice.

enjoy!

p.s. don't sleep on jack daniels glaze either. i know it sounds cheesy but it's actually pretty good.

"mix all that shit until it's super smooth then get your favorite brush and paint your dead animal of choice."

Tab!! that is no more then 15mins of fam. and you make it the way you want it to taste.. Plus.. you do this while the meat is cooking.. and you dont put it on the meat until the meat is falling off the bone.. burgers, hotdogs, whatever... all taste good with homemade sauce.. So cook that sauce on a low simmer.. and call it .. GET da Cooking sauce man..
    I have a bad track record with experiments. I'll try something like this but keep the open pit, on reserve.

I have a bad track record with experiments. I'll try something like this but keep the open pit, on reserve.
    Okay!! I here You.. but do it and just put a little of the open pit in there.. shit is banging.. and And You wont want use Jar sauce anymore once you make your own.. Tab the Cooker.. Sauce Man..

Okay!! I here You.. but do it and just put a little of the open pit in there.. shit is banging.. and And You wont want use Jar sauce anymore once you make your own.. Tab the Cooker.. Sauce Man..
    Thanks for the tip. This may very well be a 'work in progress', this weekend. LOL!

Thanks for the tip. This may very well be a 'work in progress', this weekend. LOL!
    Thats the ticket.. have fun.. and eat plenty..

mild sauce -- bar-b-q suace & ketchup

YES, it's that easy!!!
    UPCOMING:
    Saturday Oct 27th - Halloween party at LIttle Black Pearl (Chicago)
    Friday Dec 14th - Club Elevations (Irvington, New Jersey)
    www.nubangclan.com
    http://www.facebook.com/nubangsensei