Thread: Technics 1200s' question - M3D ?

Could somebody tell me how Technics 1200s MK2 is different from M3D? I have MK2s and had never heard of M3Ds till recently.
    Member # 37.

there's a reset button for the pitch, no click at the center position of the pitch slider, and some protection on the on/off switch so it doesn't switch off so easily while spinning. that's it i think...
    heard some new stuff lately?

Originally posted by Andrew Osborne:
    Could somebody tell me how Technics 1200s MK2 is different from M3D? I have MK2s and had never heard of M3Ds till recently.
    The 3-D has a reset button for the pitch that automatically btings the pitch back to the middle and disables it until you hit the button again... that's it.

I was wondering the same thing. I did notice that the M3D cost $150.00 more and that they are black. The last black 1200 series created a vacuum(suc*ed).
    Ignore ignorance!

Originally posted by Mr 1977:
    I was wondering the same thing. I did notice that the M3D cost $150.00 more and that they are black. The last black 1200 series created a vacuum(suc*ed).
    I got my 3-D for $425 brand new

Originally posted by Mr 1977:
    is there a difference between the black and silver models? i always tought not. [img]graemlins/conf44.gif[/img]

Thanks for the quick answers. I'm not sure I'd want a pitch reset button, or can you still manually move the pitch back to 0% slowly?
    Member # 37.

Originally posted by Andrew Osborne:
    Thanks for the quick answers. I'm not sure I'd want a pitch reset button, or can you still manually move the pitch back to 0% slowly?
    think so. the button is more of a 'pitch lock' it just sets it at zero.

Originally posted by Tom D:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andrew Osborne:
    think so. the button is more of a 'pitch lock' it just sets it at zero. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, the button just sets the pitch to zero, regardless of where the actual slider is set.

i found a mod on the internet that lets one add a switch to the pitch control on 12's without the button to do the same thing. I wanna know how to remove the click myself.
    Formerly toomuchtv...

If you gotta pay more for the 3-d than the MKII I don't think I would buy them .. the difference in the table is not that seriuos.

Also the lids just lift off instead of being able to like prop them up (Point?) and u get a little 4g weight on the head shell.

Anyone know how these MK5's are different?

The MK5G's have a reset and a button to switch between +/-16% and +/-8%:

I posted an mk5 thread some time ago. Now the mk5 pitch control is selectable between +/-8 and
    +/- 16. There are two buttons underneath the pitch control that allow you to do that. Also, the mk5's are black and the tonearm isn't silver, it's gunmetal grey.

They do look kinda cool.
    Formerly toomuchtv...

Originally posted by djklas:
    Anyone know how these MK5's are different?

The MK5G's have a reset and a button to switch between +/-16% and +/-8%:
    Ya beat me to it!!!
    Formerly toomuchtv...

Originally posted by toomuchtv:
    Now the mk5 pitch control is selectable between +/-8 and
    +/- 16. There are two buttons underneath the pitch control that allow you to do that. Also, the mk5's are black and the tonearm isn't silver, it's gunmetal grey.

They do look kinda cool.
    That sounds like the MK5G... The MK5 in the first picture dosen't seem any different from the MK3D.

[ May 30, 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: djklas ]

Originally posted by Tom D:
    is there a difference between the black and silver models? i always tought not. [img]graemlins/conf44.gif[/img]
    Not that I've experienced!!
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

"The world is kinda cold & the rhythm is my blanket" - Q-Tip

Originally posted by djklas:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by toomuchtv:
    Now the mk5 pitch control is selectable between +/-8 and

They do look kinda cool.
    That sounds like the MK5G... The MK5 in the first picture dosen't seem any different from the MK3D. </font>[/QUOTE]I went to www.sl-1200.com and looked around. It seems sir, that you are correct. The mk5, NOT the mk5g, looks just like the mk3d. I have NO IDEA what makes a mk5 any different then.

That sucks. I'm just gonna get me some Numark TTX-1's. Them big blue lights shore is purty.
    Formerly toomuchtv...

Originally posted by toomuchtv:
    I wanna know how to remove the click myself.
    Originally posted by ewwhite:
    We removed the ball-bearing/spring combo. There's no center notch at 0% pitch [img]smile.gif[/img]
    This is a reply from Ed White when someone commented about some 12's he's selling. You can remove the notch. Try asking him what it entails.
    No animals were harmed during the production of this message.

Hear some of my mixes at http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/Ken1015

http://www.facebook.com/Ken1015

Originally posted by Soulful1015:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by toomuchtv:
    I wanna know how to remove the click myself.
    Originally posted by ewwhite:
    We removed the ball-bearing/spring combo. There's no center notch at 0% pitch [img]smile.gif[/img]
    This is a reply from Ed White when someone commented about some 12's he's selling. You can remove the notch. Try asking him what it entails.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanx. I thought I remembered seeing that from his thread when he was ebaying 2 custom painted 12's. Nice paint job, though. I may hit him up for da info. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    Formerly toomuchtv...