Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you differentiate ass kissing from support?

Just a curiosity, as I've heard people call others ass kissers, etc etc...

So... how does one differentiate somebody giving support vs someone kissing ass?

Support with defined personal objectives involving the influence/assistance of the supportee = ass-kissing. Ass kissers don't just enjoy the taste of ass...

I think their is a certain aptitude involved in being able to detect it.

Originally posted by Keith Blackstone:
    Just a curiosity, as I've heard people call others ass kissers, etc etc...

So... how does one differentiate somebody giving support vs someone kissing ass?
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I would have to say... DO NOT DIFFERENTIATE between the two. Why? In life, people come "at" us or walk "with" us for different reasons. Someone may come at you to kiss yo' ass, but the Lord can work it where they end up giving you what you need, giving you support... although it was not their intention.

Life is too short to wonder why someone is being nice, if you have your steps "ordered" then those who mean you no good will fall by the waste-side.

A lot of times we (people) call other people ass-kissers because they give warmth and good measure to those we haven't warmed up to...

Support,
    ass kissing,
    however comfort and good tidings
    come to you
    ... TAKE THAT SH*T!

Take it for all the good that is
    in it, because it will empower you
    to give support to others.

That's just my £0.02 pence.

There are some who know how to network and there are some who know how to kiss ass.Honestly,I can smell fakes and phonies a mile away.I know who's real and who just wants something from me.

I try to support folks who are doing some good and who are friends.If they have a bad rep and I have encountered the same,my ass will be at home.

I ain't gonna come up here and lie and say I'm cool with everyone...that would be pure bullshit.I will say that a person who just dick holds and talks about only music and nothing else,will bore the fuc outta me.

Originally posted by JAMIE 3:26:
    I ain't gonna come up here and lie and say I'm cool with everyone...that would be pure bullshit.I will say that a person who just dick holds and talks about only music and nothing else,will bore the fuc outta me.
    Are you sure we are not related! LOL! Jamie you hit the nail right on the head.

Support to me means telling somebody the honest truth, if they were wack, you tell em...you sucked tonight....

Ass kissing is telling somebody they were good when they were not.

Hating is saying they were wack when in fact they were good.
    "To know and to act are one and the same" –Samurai maxim

ass kissers are like "leeches". nothing to offer but want to take, take take. there's always an ulterior motive. support is sincere and not patronizing i.e., supporting whackness.

i guess it depends on the situation. i've seen folks who openly express their adoration for an artist dubbed as ass kissers [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

[ September 19, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: t o r i n ]

Originally posted by t o r i n:
    i've seen folks who openly express their adoration for an artist dubbed as ass kissers [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]
    I was waiting for this to come around... this is exactly what I'm talkin about.

Somebody gives support to some event and 20 people jump on sayin "stop kissing ass" etc...

Comical at best from an observers point of view...

maybe it's those who are jelous of the success of others who call people ass kissers. it's like deejaying in front of a thousand yelling and screaming fans and stopping the music to tell them, "stop kissing my ass!"

[ September 19, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: t o r i n ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by t o r i n:
    i've seen folks who openly express their adoration for an artist dubbed as ass kissers [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Somebody gives support to some event and 20 people jump on sayin "stop kissing ass" etc...

</font>[/QUOTE]That's just plain hate..plain and simple.Now if it gets obsessive,then to each his own.I would have said someone was dickhuggin' before,but I am on a different plane now.

Those people who love this shit are the ones who keep what little scene there is alive.It ain't just about the dj's,it the supporters who pay covers,buy drinks, and come to any and every event you do.

Honestly,how many dj's do you know who will not go to/support a certain event or party because they can not get in free?I can name a few...

It aint about the person..it's the music anyways. I'ts like people worshipping the preacher instead of the word. I don't know if I have digressed but example..One unknown DJ plays some heat and cats are just like OK but when another person..say some big name jock or someone that they wanna spin with or have them help their DJ career by association plays some mediocre at best shit.. then they are LOSING they're mind on the dancefloor.... ASS KISSING!!

[ September 19, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: richierich ]
    "Rich in Rhythm" @ Madame X Mondays
    www.madamexnyc.com

Well then what's the difference between kissing ass and being "diplomatic?" I think everyone has to be diplomatic to a certain degree...And I've given honest, unflattering reviews and been threatened as a result (not with violence, however). [img]graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tongueout.gif[/img]

maybe it's those who are jelous of the success of others who call people ass kissers. it's like deejaying in front of a thousand yelling and screaming fans and stopping the music to tell them, "stop kissing my ass!"
    Good point!

A couple of months ago, someone here at DHP told me stop holding another DJ's nuts for saying I had known this particular DJ since a child and was not surprised by the fact that he had been known to support other DJ's in other cities. This came off to me as if this person was hating on my friend. It wasn't like I was praising him or holding up on some type of soapbox. Sometimes I believe jealousy and/or our own insecurites has affect on how we may view ass kissing from true support. I could be wrong....

[ September 19, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: BHouse ]
    I dreamed of Revelry and found Revelry.

SUPPORT = BUYing DRINKS.

ASS-KISSIN = SHOW UP at a free or $5-cover party AND DRINK FROM the bathroom all nite.

Originally posted by richierich:
    It aint about the person..it's the music anyways. I'ts like people worshipping the preacher instead of the word. I don't know if I have digressed but example..One unknown DJ plays some heat and cats are just like OK but when another person..say some big name jock or someone that they wanna spin with or have them help their DJ career by association plays some mediocre at best shit.. then they are LOSING they're mind on the dancefloor.... ASS KISSING!!
    this is very debatable. i mean, most (non-dj) party-goers have their favorite dj. a lot of times, the opening act doens't even get an open ear because the audience is waiting for the "main event". ass kissing? no. perception...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by richierich:
    this is very debatable. i mean, most (non-dj) party-goers have their favorite dj. a lot of times, the opening act doens't even get an open ear because the audience is waiting for the "main event". ass kissing? no. perception... </font>[/QUOTE]Well that's not exactly what I'm sayin'..You play a song..you beat it...but when so and so comes on and damn near plays the same shit... you don't get as near the props for doing what you did as opposed to the other big name. Most partygoers just wanna beatdown it don't matter who's spinning..that is what is helping to kill the scene. My favorite DJ...JUST PARTY!!!! The Main event is the PARTY...why wait until Mr. Big gets on and proceeds to do what a thousand other cats can do...all this favoritism shit is for the birds and is why a lot of cats can't get heard because we are marketing DJ's instead of a party. I guess that's some DJ shit..but I do expect you to at least know how to blend...That's dancefloor shit. And I disagree..it's the DJ's that are all up into this favorite DJ shit the average partygoer don't even know who these cats are...they just want a good party.

[ September 19, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: richierich ]
    "Rich in Rhythm" @ Madame X Mondays
    www.madamexnyc.com

Originally posted by richierich:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by richierich:
    this is very debatable. i mean, most (non-dj) party-goers have their favorite dj. a lot of times, the opening act doens't even get an open ear because the audience is waiting for the "main event". ass kissing? no. perception... </font>[/QUOTE]Well that's not exactly what I'm sayin'..You play a song..you beat it...but when so and so comes on and damn near plays the same shit... you don't get as near the props for doing what you did as opposed to the other big name. Most partygoers just wanna beatdown it don't matter who's spinning..that is what is helping to kill the scene. My favorite DJ...JUST PARTY!!!! The Main event is the PARTY...why wait until Mr. Big gets on and proceeds to do what a thousand other cats can do...all this favoritism shit is for the birds and is why a lot of cats can't get heard because we are marketing DJ's instead of a party. </font>[/QUOTE]I feel ya Rich,cause I have been in that position you described.I've done my job and beat that shit right,but cats just wanted to hear a headliner.No trip,cause I am still doin' my thing and I do not need this shit to survive.

I really think cats need to realize that there ain't gonna be no more glory days.There will never be parties like there was before.If there are cats doing good events,why not go and check it out and come to party instead of critiqueing blends and people there.

Folks need to remeber we are adults and folks need to act like it at times.Just be happy there are still parties to go to.Appreciation is the word.Stop taking shit for granted.

Keith, you are the best DJ since the conception of House Music and I think you beat out all these other wanna bes

.........got any drink tickets?

[ September 19, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: EL MAYIMBE ]

Ass kisser=Wants something from you and will go to your party even if he/she doesn't like you untill they get what they want...

Giving support= a person which goes because.. A)they genuinly like you B)they like your party ... no ulterior motives...

support is creamy while ass-kissing has nuts

Originally posted by mhd:
    support is creamy while ass-kissing has nuts
    [img]icon_rofl.gif[/img] = ass kissing
    [img]graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img] = hating
    [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] support

[ September 19, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: t o r i n ]

</font>[/QUOTE]i've found myself not expressing my appreciation of a certain persons work, because i didn't want to come off as an asskisser.

nowadays i don't really care about that anymore.
    i know i'm sincere in my intentions, so if anyone doubts my motivs, too me, that says more about them, then about me.

jurren

Originally posted by MYOR:
    Ass kisser=Wants something from you and will go to your party even if he/she doesn't like you untill they get what they want...

Giving support= a person which goes because.. A)they genuinly like you B)they like your party ... no ulterior motives...

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

"Support" is geniune. "Ass Kissing" is not.
    "MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT, BUT NEVER WANT AS LONG AS YOU LIVE. MAY YOU LIVE TO BE 100, & ME 100 BUT MINUS A DAY, SO THAT I'LL KNOW THAT NICE PEOPLE LIKE YOU, HAVE PASSED MY WAY. AND REMEMBER, WHEN FRANKIE CROCKER ISN'T ON YOUR RADIO, YOUR RADIO JUST ISN'T REALLY ON."