Thread: Soul Alive(1978-1980)Gerry Bledsoe/Rip

Soul Alive(1978-1980)Gerry Bledsoe/Rip

One of the best dance music shows on TV during the 70's/80's, Was, Soul Alive(Which ran from 1978-1980), Soul Alive was hosted by Gerry Bledsoe/Rip, Who was a legendary radio dj on WWRL in New York, During the 60's,70's, Soul Alive was taped at Leviticus(26thst off of 7thave), In New York, Soul Alive was alot like going to a spot to get loose(On the low, Ralph McDaniels used to get loose on Soul Alive too/LOL), Opposed to a dance

Music show based around the structure of the performances of the guest artists(Like, Soul Train,Solid Gold,Dance Party USA,Dance Fever,Etc), Were well-known for during the 70's,80's), The cat who used to mix on Soul Alive

Was nice with his too(I'm still trying to find out the cat who used to mix on Soul Alive/LOL), Soul Alive featured so many artists from the 70's, Such as, Brass Constuction, FatBack Band, Featuring, King Tim The Third, Sarah Dash,Skyy,Dynasty,Shalimar,Bionic Boogie, Featuring, Luther Vandross,LTD,

The Horny Horns,Mandrill,Inner Life featuring Jocelyn Brown,Freek, Featuring, Christine Wiltshire, CJ and Company,Etc, Here's some more information Soul Alive(Along with a video to one of the shows featuring Cissy Houston('Think it over', Fame from the late 70's).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

http://www.tvparty.com/lostsoul.html

I use to watch this show.. and he could dance too.. love it.. He would let the song play out to the end.. not cut it off like on SOul Train.. :(

RIP

We'se getting older
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Last edited by S&S; 11-06-2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Ummm........I miss the days of DHP when we use to talk about Music, Parties and give reviews about House Music Events that you either gave or attended.......The Peanut Gallery, always looking for attention done fucked it up for all the posters with their bullshit

LikeWater, Gerry Bledsoe used to put in work getting loose on the dancefloor at the end of the show/LOL, I remember Gerry Bledsoe doing the Freak,Spank, And, Patty Duke, With a few young ladies on the dance floor

Too/LOL, LikeWater,Mark B, Do you remember Soap Factory(Which was taped in New Jersey during the late 70's/early 80's, I remember Kurtis blow tearing shit up on Soap Factory in 1980(Kurtis blow performed, 'The Breaks'), On the

Low, The Sugarhill Gang's video to, 'Rapper's Delight', In August/September of 1979, Was Filmed at the same studio or spot, That, Soap Factory was taped at in New Jersey.
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

The first time that I ever heard or saw Grace Jones was on Soul Alive. She sang a French disco tune. I remember saying to my self that she was so ugly that she's pretty!!

Peace Mike

I had a the pleasure a few time of sitting in the Studio of WBLS during Gerry's shows. That Cat was as smooth as they come and a great heart. I still have many of his shows on tape from back in the day.

RIP Gerry and Blessings

Musically Yours
    Soulful House Music Collage
    Free mixes
    Soulful House Music Collage Radio
    http://soulfulhousemusiccollage.com
    The Blog http://soulfulhousemusiccollage.blogspot.com/

I learned "The Freak" watching Soul Alive!
    "You can master any situation if you can master yourself."
    --TD Jakes

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I learned "The Freak" watching Soul Alive!

The Freak wasnt nuthin but a lapdance standin up...lol
    Musically Yours
    Free mixes

Fletch, I learned how to do the Patty Duke, By watching the Patty Duke Show during the 60's, My man/LOL, Fletch, When the Patty Duke came out in New York in 1977/78, I was mad buggin, Because, Cats/Young ladies were doing the same dance, That, Patty Duke and her friends were doing on the

Patty Duke Show during the 60's/LOL, Infact, The first time Fab Five Freddy brought the group Blondie to the Bronx(Valley Park in Co-Op City, Cats from the Bronx called Debbie Harry, Patty Duke/LOL, OneMixmaster, I used to see cats like Gerry Bledsoe,Frankie Crocker,Von Harper,Gary Byrd,G.Keith

Alexander,Etc, At spots like, Justines,Pegasus,Pipin's,Leviticus,The Hotel Diplomat(Whenever Hollywood was rockin during the mid 70's to early 80's),Laff's,Bentley's,The Downunder(Much Respect to Danny Krivitt for tearing shit up at The Downunder during the early to mid 80's),Etc,

Onemixmaster, I remember going to a party on Sutton Place(53rdst and 1st ave in Manhattan), During the late 70's, And, Cats like Gerry Bledsoe,Earl Monroe,Walt Frazier,Joe Hammond,Julius Harris/Rip,Calvin Lockhart/Rip, Eartha Kitt,Dj Hollywood,Junebug/Rip,Ashford and Simpson,Etc, Were all at this party

For a cat who was a former bigtime Drug Kingpin from Uptown/Harlem(My man used to run with John Freeman/Rip, From Uptown/Harlem during the 60's/70's, OneMixMaster, The weight(Cocaine/LOL), Was passed around like cotton candy, My man/LOL, Though, I was never down with gettin zooted(Of any

Kind, Nor was i down with Drinking of any kind too/LOL), I was very impressed with the way the weight was being passed around in an open forum, Like a cats penthouse in a very exclusive, Very affluent, Area like Sutton Place(Which was one of the most expensive area's to rest in New York during the 60's till right now/LOL).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barnes View Post
    Fletch, I learned how to do the Patty Duke, By watching the Patty Duke Show during the 60's, My man/LOL, Fletch, When the Patty Duke came out in New York in 1977/78, I was mad buggin, Because, Cats/Young ladies were doing the same dance, That, Patty Duke and her friends were doing on the

Patty Duke Show during the 60's/LOL, Infact, The first time Fab Five Freddy brought the group Blondie to the Bronx(Valley Park in Co-Op City, Cats from the Bronx called Debbie Harry, Patty Duke/LOL, OneMixmaster, I used to see cats like Gerry Bledsoe,Frankie Crocker,Von Harper,Gary Byrd,G.Keith

Alexander,Etc, At spots like, Justines,Pegasus,Pipin's,Leviticus,The Hotel Diplomat(Whenever Hollywood was rockin during the mid 70's to early 80's),Laff's,Bentley's,The Downunder(Much Respect to Danny Krivitt for tearing shit up at The Downunder during the early to mid 80's),Etc,

Onemixmaster, I remember going to a party on Sutton Place(53rdst and 1st ave in Manhattan), During the late 70's, And, Cats like Gerry Bledsoe,Earl Monroe,Walt Frazier,Joe Hammond,Julius Harris/Rip,Calvin Lockhart/Rip, Eartha Kitt,Dj Hollywood,Junebug/Rip,Ashford and Simpson,Etc, Were all at this party

For a cat who was a former bigtime Drug Kingpin from Uptown/Harlem(My man used to run with John Freeman/Rip, From Uptown/Harlem during the 60's/70's, OneMixMaster, The weight(Cocaine/LOL), Was passed around like cotton candy, My man/LOL, Though, I was never down with gettin zooted(Of any

Kind, Nor was i down with Drinking of any kind too/LOL), I was very impressed with the way the weight was being passed around in an open forum, Like a cats penthouse in a very exclusive, Very affluent, Area like Sutton Place(Which was one of the most expensive area's to rest in New York during the 60's till right now/LOL).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes
    Damn Mike I forgot about G Keith Alexander
    Musically Yours
    Free mixes

OneMixmaster, G.Keith Alexander used to play the ladies man role at Bentley's(Especially at the bar downstairs at Bentley's/LOL) ,Justines,Pegasus,Laffs,Etc, During the late 70's to mid 80's, My man/LOL, Though, G.Keith Alexander had it like that(With the young

Ladies/LOL), I've always respected G.Keith Alexander's musical knowledge, On the low, Frankie Crcoker put G.Keith Alexander down as an intern at BLS during the mid 70's(G.Keith used to run errands,Get coffee,Make sure Frankie Crocker's address book full of young ladies were in alphabetical

Order,Etc,/LOL), OneMixMaster, I would like to know, Whatever happened to Lamar Renee and Yvonne Mobley(Who was down with Kiss Fm during the early/mid 80's).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barnes View Post
    OneMixmaster, G.Keith Alexander used to play the ladies man role at Bentley's(Especially at the bar downstairs at Bentley's/LOL) ,Justines,Pegasus,Laffs,Etc, During the late 70's to mid 80's, My man/LOL, Though, G.Keith Alexander had it like that(With the young

Ladies/LOL), I've always respected G.Keith Alexander's musical knowledge, On the low, Frankie Crcoker put G.Keith Alexander down as an intern at BLS during the mid 70's(G.Keith used to run errands,Get coffee,Make sure Frankie Crocker's address book full of young ladies were in alphabetical

Order,Etc,/LOL), OneMixMaster, I would like to know, Whatever happened to Lamar Renee and Yvonne Mobley(Who was down with Kiss Fm during the early/mid 80's).
    Much Respect
    Mike Barnes

Man I wish I could tell ya ..lol
    Musically Yours
    Free mixes

Bumpy Johnson.. Beat the Street..