Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: If you found out one of your favorite DJ's were morally wrong........

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    JERZIE
    Posts
    6,632

    Post

    Would you still go out to hear him play music.

    Example: he likes child porn, he hates blacks, Jews etc.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,947

    Post

    Are you trying to reword the recent R. Kelly discussion? My answer is no, I'm not giving my money to support someone I find morally reprehensible.
    No animals were harmed during the production of this message.

    Hear some of my mixes at http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/Ken1015

    http://www.facebook.com/Ken1015

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    JERZIE
    Posts
    6,632

    Post

    Funny, because we defend DJ's on this board as if they know them personally. I wouldn't support them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    bronx, NYC
    Posts
    3,081

    Post

    "he who is without sin cast the 1st stone"
    HARD MOD BX 4 A SOLID KICK DRUM & SYNTH RYTHM = OTHERWORLDY

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    JERZIE
    Posts
    6,632

    Post

    Originally posted by Ron paizley:
    "he who is without sin cast the 1st stone"
    That's a good one.

    But, I won't support you if you do bad thangs. Sorry. I'm a bible carrying folk too, but I have to take some kind of stance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,193

    Post

    No...I wouldn't support them. They would be hypocrites...because most house music is about spreading love. But, it also astouds me that some house fans support war, torture and violence over the love and peace the music teaches us.
    With desire, the world is tied down. With the subduing of desire it\'s freed. With the abandoning of desire all bonds are cut through.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange, NJ
    Posts
    1,729

    Post

    Originally posted by konbit:
    No...I wouldn't support them. They would be hypocrites...because most house music is about spreading love. But, it also astouds me that some house fans support war, torture and violence over the love and peace the music teaches us.
    Those type of people don't live the music. I.E., JAMIE LENNOX!!!!!!!!
    T.A.S.K. Ltd. \"Our Time Is Coming\"!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    52,065

    Post

    Man,I could care less what someone does in thier private lives.If it came to light,that's another story.There are fakes and phonies everywhere.

    You yourself may be perceived as being a fake,a phony or whatever.

    It's not a matter of someone else's morals when you ain't right yourself...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    JERZIE
    Posts
    6,632

    Post

    Originally posted by JAMIE 3:26:
    Man,I could care less what someone does in thier private lives.If it came to light,that's another story.There are fakes and phonies everywhere.

    You yourself may be perceived as being a fake,a phony or whatever.

    It's not a matter of someone else's morals when you ain't right yourself...
    Ok, Jamie. Some people don't mind dancing with the devil. But, It won't be me, even though I may have something about me that I do wrong.

  10. #10
    flypitcher Guest

    Post

    to put it another way can art be separated from the artist? good topic.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    825

    Post

    i may be doing shit wrong in my life but i sure ain't beatin woman, sexin 16 yo's, or doing anything physically violent against anybody really so if i find out that my favorate dj is doing something like that i don't think i could continue supporting him. just my $.02

    w
    word

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    bronx, NYC
    Posts
    3,081

    Post

    Originally posted by Basecore Boy:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ron paizley:
    "he who is without sin cast the 1st stone"
    That's a good one.

    But, I won't support you if you do bad thangs. Sorry. I'm a bible carrying folk too, but I have to take some kind of stance.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm no bible totin type cat but come on people
    no 1 is perfect. theres a time & place 4 everything
    (oh those very phreeaaky thangz& who does not have a lil freak in em?)
    I'm not joining the moral marjority here niether
    consenting adults can do what ever they like
    just
    leave the small children (& house pets)alone
    its up 2 your own judgement where the line is drawn
    a persons work 4 the public is different than a persons private life

    its not as simple as black or white

    huh boy/ramblin
    HARD MOD BX 4 A SOLID KICK DRUM & SYNTH RYTHM = OTHERWORLDY

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    bronx, NYC
    Posts
    3,081

    Post

    Originally posted by flypitcher:
    to put it another way can art be separated from the artist? good topic.
    yes & no

    check my reply in the R.kelly thread
    HARD MOD BX 4 A SOLID KICK DRUM & SYNTH RYTHM = OTHERWORLDY

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    JERZIE
    Posts
    6,632

    Post

    People in the public is different than those private. Wrong is wrong.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Houston, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,664

    Post

    we all fall short in the eyes of you know who
    Why can't I change my displayed name back to Ashaki?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    bronx, NYC
    Posts
    3,081

    Post

    Originally posted by konbit:
    No...I wouldn't support them. They would be hypocrites...because most house music is about spreading love. But, it also astouds me that some house fans support war, torture and violence over the love and peace the music teaches us.
    please tell me your kidding ?
    I'm being honest, nor tryin 2 judge just tell me if your serious or not
    ? ? ?
    HARD MOD BX 4 A SOLID KICK DRUM & SYNTH RYTHM = OTHERWORLDY

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    3,737

    Post

    Originally posted by konbit:
    No...I wouldn't support them. They would be hypocrites...because most house music is about spreading love. But, it also astouds me that some house fans support war, torture and violence over the love and peace the music teaches us.
    i concurr fully to this statement of yours Konbit..TO ME (!), house is not about war, torture and violence and it's runs against the spirit of what I consider house ..This is my personal opinion, so please abstain from answers about "what house should be"..

    peace
    peace

  18. #18
    Bold Soul Guest

    Post

    Originally posted by konbit:
    No...I wouldn't support them. They would be hypocrites...because most house music is about spreading love. But, it also astouds me that some house fans support war, torture and violence over the love and peace the music teaches us.
    Really - so when recordings are bootlegged, producers steal from artists, older "famous" DJs use their influence to take advantage of up and comers, club owners rip off and exploit everyone, rampant drug abuse and overall elitism occurs, that's love as well? Wow!

    Hmmm...I guess George H. W. Bush killed the scene like those millions of Middle Easterners.

    Whatever.

    [ March 06, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Bold Soul ]

  19. #19
    Bold Soul Guest

    Post

    Originally posted by Ashaki:
    we all fall short in the eyes of you know who
    Al Sharpton?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,193

    Post

    Originally posted by Bold Soul:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by konbit:
    No...I wouldn't support them. They would be hypocrites...because most house music is about spreading love. But, it also astouds me that some house fans support war, torture and violence over the love and peace the music teaches us.
    Really - so when recordings are bootlegged, producers steal from artists, older "famous" DJs use their influence to take advantage of up and comers, rampant drug abuse and overall elitism occurs, that's love as well.

    Hmmm...I guess George H. W. Bush killed the scene like those millions of Middle Easterners.

    Whatever.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hahaha!! I was really just trying to make a point to Basecore...but i think he missed it.

    Would I support a rapist DJ? No. Why? Because I try not to support people who are THAT immoral.

    The issues you brought up are a lot blurrier when it comes to morality. Is a bootleg evil? I think not (though I do not buy bootlegs of house artists). Drugs....nope.

    I think that if you look at my statements, I'm pretty consistent. Ideologically, I do actually believe in the lyrics and sentiments of house music. And I do find that there is a level of hypocracy between others who claim to, but then support things that are totally contrary to those sentiments.
    With desire, the world is tied down. With the subduing of desire it\'s freed. With the abandoning of desire all bonds are cut through.

  21. #21
    Bold Soul Guest

    Post

    Originally posted by konbit:
    Hahaha!! I was really just trying to make a point to Basecore...but i think he missed it.
    You can add me to that list.

    Originally posted by konbit:
    Would I support a rapist DJ? No. Why? Because I try not to support people who are THAT immoral.
    Immoral? Morals are SUBJECTIVE and perceptory in nature. I consider bootlegging immoral. You don't. Who wins?

    Originally posted by konbit:
    The issues you brought up are a lot blurrier when it comes to morality. Is a bootleg evil? I think not (though I do not buy bootlegs of house artists). Drugs....nope.
    Again - bootlegging is only a blurry moral issue to BOOTLEGGERS. Human beings blur that which they want blurred in order to free themselves of self-judgement. Read a little Nietzsche or Jung. Or Mother Goose, for that matter.

    Originally posted by konbit:
    I think that if you look at my statements, I'm pretty consistent. Ideologically, I do actually believe in the lyrics and sentiments of house music. And I do find that there is a level of hypocracy between others who claim to, but then support things that are totally contrary to those sentiments.
    In this sentence, you indicate a STANDARD based on an ideology that you perceive house music embodies. If that ideology isn't shared, your standard for judgement does not hold up to the arguement.

    Again - whatever. The only consistency I see in your statements are that you don't debate on fair grounds. Perception is onerous and cannot be argued. Only a shared perception based on FACTS and not SUPERLATIVES can be a suitable platform for debate.

    12 Grade Rhetoric class was good for something.

    [ March 06, 2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Bold Soul ]

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    City of Angels to City of Steel
    Posts
    240

    Post

    I wouldn't.

    Originally posted by Basecore Boy:
    Would you still go out to hear him play music.

    Example: he likes child porn, he hates blacks, Jews etc.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,193

    Post

    Originally posted by Bold Soul:
    [qbYou can add me to that list.[/qb]
    The list of those who don't get the p[oint...or the list of those trying to prove a point to Basscore?

    Originally posted by Bold Soul:
    Immoral? Morals are SUBJECTIVE and perceptory in nature. I consider bootlegging immoral. You don't. Who wins?
    Yep, they are subjective. I gave you my view...I'm not going to claim some sort of superior system of morality than you.

    Originally posted by Bold Soul:
    Again - bootlegging is only a blurry moral issue to BOOTLEGGERS. Human beings blur that which they want blurred in order to free themselves of self-judgement. Read a little Nietzsche or Jung. Or Mother Goose, for that matter.
    Ummm...getting a little combative, eh? First, I am not a bootlegger, and I find bootlegging a living artists' work wrong in most cases. However, if you do a white label rmx of Brandi...I probably don't care, since the artist will prolly end up profiting more (even the major labels have begun to see it this way). But, yes, i agree, that straight up bootlegging of somebody else's work is 100% wrong. That was why it is blurry.

    Originally posted by Bold Soul:
    In this sentence, you indicate a STANDARD based on an ideology that you perceive house music embodies. If that ideology isn't shared, your standard for judgement does not hold up to the arguement.

    Again - whatever. The only consistency I see in your statements are that you don't debate on fair grounds. Perception is onerous and cannot be argued. Only a shared perception based on FACTS and not SUPERLATIVES can be a suitable platform for debate.

    12 Grade Rhetoric class was good for something.
    I think that the ideals I think house music embodies are pretty clear. i think you are beginning to argue for argument's sake.

    Please, elaborate on these unfair grounds. I could easily accuse you of the same. You build up plenty of straw men. And...as much as you love facts, there are plenty of topics that have few facts (morality, for example), but are still worthy of debate. Also, your "word of the day," SUPERLATIVES, is beginning to make you look desperate for a platform.

    I made it well past 12th grade.
    With desire, the world is tied down. With the subduing of desire it\'s freed. With the abandoning of desire all bonds are cut through.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,193

    Post

    Originally posted by Bold Soul:

    12 Grade Rhetoric class was good for something.
    Oh...and...attacking my intellgence (with no basis in the FACTS that you so love to accuse others of not knowing), really does not make for good debate, either.
    With desire, the world is tied down. With the subduing of desire it\'s freed. With the abandoning of desire all bonds are cut through.

  25. #25
    Bold Soul Guest

    Post

    Originally posted by konbit:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bold Soul:

    12 Grade Rhetoric class was good for something.
    Oh...and...attacking my intellgence (with no basis in the FACTS that you so love to accuse others of not knowing), really does not make for good debate, either.</font>[/QUOTE]It on!

    I'm not attacking your intelligence. Simply your baseless arguements. If you make ASSERTIONS that don't have any ground in AGREEMENT, how are you to be debated with? It isn't possible - and that is my point. If you are going to run around the board making assertions of right and wrong and character out of your own personal views, seek CONSENSUS prior to admonishing those who don't agree with you.

    I'm jumping all over the things you say because you have hit folks who don't agree with you over the head with your soft bat of "morality" in quite a few posts - me included.

    I observe no moral base in debates but I do emply what I understand as an ETHICAL base. I don't criticize without presenting an opposing view, I don't carry dialog out of context and I certainly don't extract "morals" out of personal preference in order to point the finger.

    Your serve.

    [ March 06, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Bold Soul ]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •