Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NI Machine vs. Akai MPC 1000

Thanks for checking in Dennis. Didn't know you were a mpc guy as well.
    I'm glad Mr. Dopes 3k is in good hands.

guru's sound quality? GARBAGE IN....GARBAGE OUT....
    lmao

it's all in your converters and samples. absolute rubbish if you hear otherwise...
    most plug in samplers are all the same except in workflow and features. Unless of course they're made to have a certain "sound" to them. Guru is transparent. You want grit? well then use a bit reduction plug in..like..um...lil secret here..Decimort. Go and find it..it's got mpc60 and sp1200 presets..but a word of caution..If you find it too crunchy and you're wondering what's wrong..then lay off the input a bit and viola!

there ya go..my tip for the day LOL

re: kenny's 3k...yeah i love that thing. I've had a total of about 5 now. LOL! finally said i'm not getting rid of this one and put a CF card reader and a Mansell OS in it. No more floppies when I can have 2 gigs on a CF card.

df
    "you bust your ass to make all the money you can...thinking it solves shit...and then you realize..when and if you get there at all...you got more problems and you missed out on the one thing you can't buy or get back...your life! Spend time with friends and family...You can be broke in other ways too!...."

Cool - thanks for clearing that up. It's hard to tell fact from fiction sometimes.

...and yeah, I love all of the d16 plugs...can't wait to check out that new reverb they put out.
    Last edited by Ashwell; 08-14-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by migumartinez View Post
    Hi guys,

i was thinking of getting a mpc 1000.
    then two day ago a found a new product from native instruments. the machina. a mix of software and hardware groovmachine.

what you guys think?
    is anyne using a mpc???

thankx
    migu
    pm jmj hes got it
    "The Underground Sunrise Sessions"...thursdays www.handzonradio.fm 08:00pmest
    djkmixx.podomatic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwell View Post
    Cool - thanks for clearing that up. It's hard to tell fact from fiction sometimes.

...and yeah, I love all of the d16 plugs...can't wait to check out that new reverb they put out.
    I'm a heavy Guru user myself, i actually ditched my mpc2000 for it. Sometimes i miss my old mpc for workflow purposes. Also, the mpc tends to sound snapier with less hassle.
    But overall guru is the winner nowadays.

If you want to make guru sound right, learn to use eq well, don't use compression too much (it certainly is not a magic tool). Also, watch out with the pitch functions in Guru, the pitch algo's are not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by socratez View Post
    I'm a heavy Guru user myself, i actually ditched my mpc2000 for it. Sometimes i miss my old mpc for workflow purposes. Also, the mpc tends to sound snapier with less hassle.
    But overall guru is the winner nowadays.

If you want to make guru sound right, learn to use eq well, don't use compression too much (it certainly is not a magic tool). Also, watch out with the pitch functions in Guru, the pitch algo's are not that good.
    I like Guru's functionality. Being able to test out and layer sounds on the fly without comitting to the sound is a plus.

I still love my S-950, but it is not the best for workflow. I have recently started the process of saving different filter settings from the 950 into my computer so I can load them with Guru.

I basically use Logic as a sound module and audio recorder and use my MPC 60 as the sequencer.

Kickass converters on the s950, i remember some guy who used it in the 90's and got a nice full sound you can only dream of nowadays in the DAW-age.
    But on the other hand, when you use external hardware (mpc, emu or s950) you need extra converters, mixing consoles, and external processing to really make it sound good. Also its more time consuming to integrate it in the production process.
    I think that nowadays concidering budget and workflow, all ITB processing is the best.

To me the weakest links in ITB production are:
    Reverb (my sound is better off without native soft reverbs than with)
    Softsynths
    Pitch (Shifting).

EQing, compression, summing are all good enough iff not better than mid-level hardware equivalents.

About the akai controlers,,
    I never found any use for them. They seem fun to have but they seem to be hampering the workflow since you have to switchh focus all the time.

looking through old threads found this

Well I certainly changede my stand point on this

Since Maschine came out loads of people have switched to it and are getting great results!

Anyone wanna revisit this thread now that may have had more experience with Maschine?

Quote Originally Posted by blackwax View Post
    looking through old threads found this

Well I certainly changede my stand point on this

Since Maschine came out loads of people have switched to it and are getting great results!

Anyone wanna revisit this thread now that may have had more experience with Maschine?
    I'd be interested also, considering to buy a controler to work on my sounds and why not try the "live" thing.

Today I work with a USB keyboard (evolution 64 keys) and reason 4 on my laptop. And that's all I have, so I was considering MAschine as a great "gear-up".

Idance

+1
    I'm interested in NI Maschine Mikro, the smaller brother....it could be a great gear to complete my rig along with Logic Pro + M-Audio Axiom

A lot of people around me have been using maschine for a while. I've tinkered with it a lot. But what's most interesting to me is that it really does seem to either work for people or not. Not much grey area. One friend swore by it for a year, but, now he can't stand the thing. Several others are pretty much doing the majority of their tracks in it with good results. Personally, I still like working with hardware and live percussion but I have been using Geist a increasingly over the last few months and love it.

p.s. good idea resurrecting old threads.
    Last edited by Ashwell; 05-10-2012 at 01:24 AM.