I'm currently reading "The Confessions of Rick James: Memoirs of a Super Freak". I guess Rick wrote the book while serving time in the LA County jail system so he didn't have anything to lose by telling it like it is. Among the more interesting parts:
- "Ricky James Matthews" was a pseudoynm he adopted while AWOL in Toronto during the Vietnam War. He was known as Ricky Matthews when he played with Neil Young in a band called the Mynah Birds.
- He made at least three trips abroad to smuggle drugs into the U.S. (before he hit it big with his music).
- Quote: "Swedish pussy is the best tasting pussy in the world."
- Prince is a little bitch who stole all his moves from Rick James.
- Among his lovers: Linda Blair ("the exorcist"), Jan Gaye (Marvin's ex), Patti Brooks (disco singer), Janice Dickinson (supermodel), and countless others.
- "Standing on the Top" is the only song where all 7 of the Temptations performed together.
- He wrote "Super Freak" as an afterthought, and hated it but thought it might go over well with white audiences. The final lyrics were really toned down from the original.
That's only the tip of the iceberg! It's a highly entertaining read.