Thread: House music in Amsterdam is ALL THAT!

Just came back from vacation in Amsterdam. I was really surprised how popular house music is there. They were playing FUNKY house mixes ALL day long on the radio, various stations. Most cafes had house playing. Very hip, cool city indeed [img]graemlins/cool_shades.gif[/img]
    Slave to the Rhythm

Montreal-Canada via The Hague, Netherlands

and there are many wicked djs in the Netherlands indeed. They blend music pretty well, all sorts of sounds... did you go out to any club?
    You don't even like this song
    You just dig the hook
    You freaky Muth* f*cka

Don't know about the DJ's but I heard the weed is wicked!

Ahhh, one of my favorites cities.

Speaking of the weed and the music....

Last time I was there, I ended up with a room just across the canal from De Rokerij. The music(at de Rokerij)---ranging from Babatunde, to Vikter Duplaix, to Frank Zappa---was as trippy as the White Widow. In retrospect, I soaked up way more vibe than I should have.

A'dam was funkier than Brooklyn. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I have got to visit Amsterdam.

I LOVE AMSTERDAM!!!

The times I've been there, it seemed like the music was kinda random in the coffeeshops I was at, but I did hear lots of house music indeed. I love how the clubs there seemed so laid back (or maybe it was just me ;) ). The whole city just has this amazing relaxed vibe (besides the few tourist spots and the Red light district). I've never met so many friendly people as I did in Amsterdam.

I too, love Amsterdam ... spent several weeks there a few years ago. The weed is indeed legal and very potent (although I hear from a fellow board member they might be closing the coffee shops soon, so THOSE WHO HAVEN'T BEEN, GO!).

I found the music at the time ('99) to be a bit harder and more techy than here, but that was several years ago, and it sounds like things have changed! [img]graemlins/OLA.gif[/img]

One of my most fun memories was playing at this Coffee Shop called Prix D'Amix (sp?) I believe that means something like "the price of friendship" ... anyway, I had a gig that got postponed in Paris and I was kinda stuck in Amsterdam with like an extra week before I was gonna play, and unfortunately I really didn't have a lot of cash - at least not for a whole week of "enjoying" Amsterdam ;) , but I had records, so I go into this coffeeshop and the guy has a FULL DJ rig set up (nice, too!) - guess he was a DJ. I said, "ya know, that there hash is lookin' kinda tasty - how bout I play some music in exchange for some "treats" from behind the counter?"

Well, it ended up being an all-night set, and I left with enough weed & hash in my pocket to keep me coooool until I got to Paris and put some $$ in my pocket. That was some fun $hit.
    "MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT, BUT NEVER WANT AS LONG AS YOU LIVE. MAY YOU LIVE TO BE 100, & ME 100 BUT MINUS A DAY, SO THAT I'LL KNOW THAT NICE PEOPLE LIKE YOU, HAVE PASSED MY WAY. AND REMEMBER, WHEN FRANKIE CROCKER ISN'T ON YOUR RADIO, YOUR RADIO JUST ISN'T REALLY ON."

I'll be there for New Years! [img]graemlins/OLA.gif[/img]