Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do u respect any progressive DJs?

My sole purpose on this post is to better understand the history of house music and what it has evolve to.

When kids in NY think of house music and a house DJ, they would say Danny Tengalia. I have read in a post in the past that gave me the feeling that this person doesn't think Tengalia is a true house DJ. It is obivious Tengalia's set these days, he plays everything except trance.

I also read a post in the past that label progressive house as the white thang.

I can see where they are coming from by saying this but I would like to get some feedback from you. Discuss.....

[ April 20, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: ShakeDown ]
    Get Down Get Down Happy People.....

Tenaglia in my opinion is a house dj. He was there when all this came down the pike. Danny has moved on from just playing deep house and garage because in his own words "house has changed", meaning it has gotten "whiter". I`m glad you mentioned the racial thang because this is something that most peeps won`t say in the open but say it quietly internally. When you go to a house club and there are few blacks don`t you say to yourself that "this must not be the real thing because there`s so few blacks in this joint" Go one step further and compare the demograpics of house/techno with rap/r&b joints. The answer is obvious.
    bob moore

I can't respect the music they play because it has no soul and you need to be tore up to even be able to listen to it in my opinion. As a dj if they are good at what they do of course. I just don't like progressive (a warped version of what dance music is supposed to be)
    Pittsburgh Steelers 2006 World Champs......

It hard for me to say.Danny has roots in the real,but he chose to move on with the style of music that was getting big.I have no reason to dis him.Hell,listen to some of his earlier emixes,dude had soul.Love Commandents is a prime example.That is a soulful cut and it's remix by Danny made that song a hot cut.

I no longer have time to explain and break down musical boudaries to folks.You either like what I am doing or go somewhere here you are feeling the other kinds of music.

Read the tagline....

Originally posted by JAMIE 3:26:
    I no longer have time to explain and break down musical boudaries to folks.You either like what I am doing or go somewhere here you are feeling the other kinds of music.

well said.
    me vale madre.

angel moreas?

At some point, a person has to be free to make a living without the criticism. If its by playing progressive, or if its by playing the cha-cha-cha, then so be it. I'm done knocking some guy because they went with what's putting food on the table. Its pointless really.

Peace
    TAC

[ April 20, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: TAC ]
    "Do I look like I'm Irish or Scottish to you?"

no

I respect them, but I ain't listening to their shit.

Originally posted by mosaic_soul:
    no
    I second that. No excuses for weakness and brain damage.

Peace,

Gerd
    Guilty feet have got no rhythm.

Originally posted by TAC:
    At some point, a person has to be free to make a living without the criticism. If its by playing progressive, or if its by playing the cha-cha-cha, then so be it. I'm done knocking some guy because they went with what's putting food on the table. Its pointless really.

Peace
    TAC
    ......to continue this thread. well said TAC.
    "We're not just dancing to have fun-we're dancing for survival. We're dancing to save our lives." PTT

I would certainly hope that people could "respect" something even though it's not their personal preference - DAMN! - why does this industry have to be so prejudiced?

In the words of Prince, we should all be paying more attention to our similarities rather than our differences.
    "MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT, BUT NEVER WANT AS LONG AS YOU LIVE. MAY YOU LIVE TO BE 100, & ME 100 BUT MINUS A DAY, SO THAT I'LL KNOW THAT NICE PEOPLE LIKE YOU, HAVE PASSED MY WAY. AND REMEMBER, WHEN FRANKIE CROCKER ISN'T ON YOUR RADIO, YOUR RADIO JUST ISN'T REALLY ON."

MALTA,Meditteranean Sea, Europe, Earth UNIVERSE

in my IMO Danny Tenaglia, Angel Moraes, Junior Vasquez etc etc still got soul.... what about his remix which was released about a month ago on Westend that was dope & his classic Selection on azuli or his remix of Finally - KOT ok some times he gets hard & more tribal like his recent remix of ONO - walking on thin ice(Twisted)
    but on the other hand he plays very little Progressive to what i heard & he just adds it up with minimal techno, tech house tunes further more & just keeps it real from house 2 deep house 2 Tribal House or always with his unmistakble selection i imagine.
    I think he really keeps it real as Larry Levan used to do where he used to play everything from Disco to Rock & the rest BACK IN THE DAYS
    but just an opinion [img]graemlins/acclaim.gif[/img]

whew! trying 2 keep off the board but lurking a lil
    this sort of thing pops up from time 2 time
    well let me say this there are dj's, taste makers
    & certain views on music right here on this board i just don't get nor dig and this not about dissing anyone and thier taste nor style of play.
    Music is just 2 big for that I love and keep discorvering all the time of coasre I have my faves likes & dislikes
    my big problem are these socalled "soul" police who are you people?
    how did "soul" become your limited territory
    in wich everyone else gets written off?
    believe a lot of music that gets love around here all the time I think is boring and sleepy
    (because of certain overused formulars/not people/partys or otherwise)
    but if that is your thang i'm not gonna knock it
    (at least 4 now on)
    dance/house hell even polka is like any other music it should reflect different colours 4 different peoples

1 question I keep and others have asked during
    this tired debate is please someone define "soul" and how do tell someone else what touches or moves them is soulful or not
    has alot of musics_________ changed yes but hey
    thats life good or bad

now as far as the question about progressive
    wasn't all this progressive at one point?
    "trance" does not = progressive 2 me is just another style (am I crazy about? nah)
    but hey
    progressive means other things 2 me like
    the ability 2 experiment and involved a lot of elements there are cats who bring the rythms and the concepts and keep this challenging and make me still just wanna dance, listen & buy, play and be part of the overall vision (some of yall konw what i mean)
    like said if someone will come up with what these terms mean? maybe I'll listen
    but the ones I'm losing respect 4 are the safe players the ones not willing 2 explore nor drop it dirty and heavy as well really sweet & emotional
    also all these "no soul"="deep soulful cats" yall really killing me (espec when i hear what yall think is happening puh-leaze)
    and all the revisionist theorys going on a lot around these parts.
    these things are really losing me on house right now!

much love and 1
    hope i ruffled some feathers
    laterz

got bigger fish 2 fry

[img]graemlins/conf44.gif[/img]
    HARD MOD BX 4 A SOLID KICK DRUM & SYNTH RYTHM = OTHERWORLDY

MALTA,Meditteranean Sea, Europe, Earth UNIVERSE

nice words RON [img]hail.gif[/img]

i don't know if i could handle a whole set by sasha or even deep dish right now. their sound has gotten to be too dark and bangy. i still respect them but it's just at this stage in my life i'm not getting messed up on E and it's just not my sound really. but i don't dis either they're living the lifestyle i'd like to live so big ups!
    [img]graemlins/respekt.gif[/img]
    w
    word

Originally posted by Ron paizley:
    my big problem are these socalled "soul" police who are you people?how did "soul" become your limited territory in wich everyone else gets written off?
    Word!, Do they carry a badge?

But getting back to the question, If a dj(prog. or not) is good they get [img]graemlins/respekt.gif[/img] from me!

peace,
    Gojay

[ April 21, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Gojay ]
    http://gojay.podOmatic.com

The Federal Reserve is as Federal as Federal Express.

Posted by Myron
    Think of it this way, podcasts are the modern version of mixtapes

I would like to have a definition of "respect."

I respect these DJs for making a living, for bringing music into people's lives, for knowing how to rock dancefloors, technical abilities, etc.

However, I do not respect artists who feel like they have to compromise their integrity to appease the masses and fulfill the latest trends. I still love hearing how DJs like Lil Louis, Ron Hardy and Larry Levan would be willing to clear dancefloors with experimental tracks, because their artistic integrity as DJs superceded their desire for popularity.

It is very difficult for me to understand how some of the DJs who "switched sides" retain their integrity, as I find the music that they now play, for the most part, devoid of beauty, originality, emotion, etc. So, while I respect some of them for their work in the past, I do not respect them for their current work. I certainly do not "respect" most of the music they play.
    With desire, the world is tied down. With the subduing of desire it\'s freed. With the abandoning of desire all bonds are cut through.

DJs and Producers have bills too.

Peace

Originally posted by konbit:

However, I do not respect artists who feel like they have to compromise their integrity to appease the masses and fulfill the latest trends. I still love hearing how DJs like Lil Louis, Ron Hardy and Larry Levan would be willing to clear dancefloors with experimental tracks, because their artistic integrity as DJs superceded their desire for popularity.
    These guys also programmed commercial radio tunes in with their sets. As for thier intent, will any of us really ever know?
    Message Board \"Has Been\"

when i hear a dj that makes me say, "heeeeeelllllNAW!!!!! that's DOPE! WOOOOO!", i respect them...it usually takes a dj not doing what i've heard before to make me act that way...whether that's considered progressive or not, i don't really know...
    ~formerly Ms. Rickey X~

Originally posted by Ghost Of Donger:
    These guys also programmed commercial radio tunes in with their sets.
    Which also speaks to their artistic integrity...as playing commercial tracks in an "underground" club can be pretty daring.
    With desire, the world is tied down. With the subduing of desire it\'s freed. With the abandoning of desire all bonds are cut through.

Damn, hw timely this thread is for me.

This past Friday I actually went to ARC for the purpose of listening to Danny Tenaglia. I've got some good friends who are devoted fans so I figured I should go see how the other half lives so to speak (more like the other 95%, but whatever).

For the record, I think I went in there with a very open mind, really wanting to like the music and the scene.

Before even discussing his set, I should say that I respect Danny Tenaglia just for his longevity and his success. There is something to be said for building a worldwide reputation and rocking crowds for 20 years or so. There are not many DJs who have achieved this status and it is not easy to do.

That said, I thought Danny's set was very, very boring. Obviously his kind of tribal/hard/tech house is not my thing, but I figured I could feel someone who was rocking a crowd no matter what they are playing. He seemed to have very little energy. Songs were very quickly blended from one monotonous tribal beat to another, with little personalization whatsoever of any kind. Occasionally he would mix two records back and forth, but that was veruy rare and the records themselves were usually so non-descript that it seemed to make no difference to the crowd.

he was definitely playing house music. There is no question. It just happened to be very boring house music. I was hoping for a lot of big crescendos and dramatic shit that I associate with that type of house, but there was almost none. Just the same 130bpm beats.

There is a definite possibility that what I heard was just him warming up. However, I left around 7am and musically, the whole night just felt very uneventful.

Of course, I suppose I was comparing him, perhaps unfairly, to Timmy Regisford, the only other big club DJ I hear with any regularity. As a dancer, you can feel Timmy's energy and I got almost nothing from Danny. People tell me that he gets in to deep house and classics very late in the morning, like after 10, but all I heard was a lot of tribal stuff. I recognized almost none of it, but that means nothing cuz it ain't my scene.

As for the crowd....like, WHOA. This was the lamest, cheesiest, most drugged-out, non-dancing, rude, bridge and tunnel crwod that I have ever had the misfortune to be surrounded by. Yeah, I suppose it was mostly white, but not entirely. There were plety of Latinos and Asian folks too. Trying to dance was increasingly more difficult as the night progressed due to the fact that evrybody just walks straight through the dancefloor, bumping or literally pushing you out of their way. This happened constantly. I think if I had left before 6 when it started to get packed, this may not have bothered me so much. But believe me, it was really aggravating. I almost had serious beef with two seperate losers and I am a very chill guy. Give me the PLUR crowd anyday thank you. There was so many cheesy gold and platinum chains I thought I was at the freakin' Jersey shore. And on top of all that, they just really didn't seem that in to the music. Songs would change and a few people would go "wooo" but the rest of them were just like "whatever...". People may blame this lack of enthusiasm on the drugs, and there was A LOT of drugs, but in my own personal experience drugs make you more enthusiastic about everything, not less.

So that's my report from the front lines. Despite being incredibly bored by the music and hating the crowd, I can still respect Danny for what he has achieved. And I might even go again, but not until very very late if at all.

progressive/deep trance/tech djs like Chris fortier are good. mad respect for them and the Balancepromote djs

Originally posted by konbit:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ghost Of Donger:
    These guys also programmed commercial radio tunes in with their sets.
    Which also speaks to their artistic integrity...as playing commercial tracks in an "underground" club can be pretty daring. </font>[/QUOTE]Why would you omit my second sentance in your "quote"? I guess because it makes your assumptions irrelevant?

What if Larry saw Mick Jagger hanging out in the audience and thought it would be in his best $$$ interest to play some commercial shit in the hopes of getting some of that style of remix work and get mega $$$ ?

Props to Danny Tenaglia cause that mother can work a room and get paid $$$ while doing it, regardless of the fact that he doesn't play my favorite sounds...
    Message Board \"Has Been\"