Thread: Club Hothouse closed because of dancing!

Chicago Sun-Times (Tuesday May 13) - The Hothouse (Nightclub) was closed last Friday for having peple dancing during a performance.

Maybe I'm naive, but WTF is that about??? How can the city shut down a space for havign people dancing during a performance?

According to City Revenue Director Bea Reyna-Hickey, "the Hothouse license doesn't allow a dance with the bar open the whole time of the performance - only afterward and during intermission."

And they wonder why Chicago lags behind the world musically...
    UPCOMING:
    Saturday Oct 27th - Halloween party at LIttle Black Pearl (Chicago)
    Friday Dec 14th - Club Elevations (Irvington, New Jersey)
    www.nubangclan.com
    http://www.facebook.com/nubangsensei

It's a shame that the city shut down one of our cultural gems over a small technicality. It's bureaucracy run amok and it could have been handled much better.
    No animals were harmed during the production of this message.

Hear some of my mixes at http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/Ken1015

http://www.facebook.com/Ken1015

Looks like someone forgot to GREASE an alderman/woman's palms.........
    "I'm so tired of you black people walking round looking evil like that's gonna change something."
    -Dick Gregory.

they've been trying to get marguerite out since she was in wicker park...it's extrememly political - just consider the calibre of performers she brings...

this is waaaay deeper than dancers...
    ~formerly Ms. Rickey X~

Just talked to my boy that work in Revenue. They can do this because the Hot House owners don't have a PPA license, which is a Public Place of Amusement license. The license that they had only intitles them to serve drinks and not have dancing. From what he told me the city will send out undercover agents in Bars and Clubs so they can get owners for these technicalitys, so they can either fine the owners. The license it self is not expensive. The license costs about $350.00, but he said it is hard to get. You have to get approval from your Alderman, Residence. Then you will have to get an Task Force Inspection, which means you will have seven different departments come out and inspect you. Then he said the city and just flat out say no. To me it sounds politcal now.

[ May 13, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Mack-Williams ]

Originally posted by Mack-Williams:
    Just talked to my boy that work in Revenue. They can do this because the Hot House owners don't have a PPA license, which is a Public Place of Amusement license. The license that they had only intitles them to serve drinks and not have dancing. From what he told me the city will send out undercover agents in Bars and Clubs so they can get owners for these technicalitys, so they can either fine the owners or get the owners to purchase the more expensive license, which is the PPA.
    How much is a PPA license??

They are so determined to drive this underground...and then when they do, they'll bust us for some trumped up other charges....

Dammit...it's gonna be "Swing Kids" all over again....

"HOUSE HEIL! HOUSE HEIL!!!"

KragShot

Originally posted by KragShot:
    They are so determined to drive this underground...
    that's what this is about...the city could have very well notified them as to the specifics of proper licenses, so i am not buying the ppa deal, though it's steady enough to hold in court...

they know what the hell the hothouse is - it's right in their faces...
    ~formerly Ms. Rickey X~

Originally posted by richierich:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mack-Williams:
    Just talked to my boy that work in Revenue. They can do this because the Hot House owners don't have a PPA license, which is a Public Place of Amusement license. The license that they had only intitles them to serve drinks and not have dancing. From what he told me the city will send out undercover agents in Bars and Clubs so they can get owners for these technicalitys, so they can either fine the owners or get the owners to purchase the more expensive license, which is the PPA.
    How much is a PPA license?? </font>[/QUOTE]Rich I re-edited what I wrote before reread.

[img]graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img] them shutting the place down is a damn shame