Thread: NJ Transit raises prices 30%

NJ Transit raises prices 30%

The art of Creative movement is my constant flow "Can You Dig It". Ras.Anthony.

Takes effect next week

NEWARK, N.J. -- Bus and rail commuters in New Jersey will face their second fare increase in three years by the end of June and possibly earlier, NJ Transit's new executive director said Wednesday.

As Eyewitness News first reported on Tuesday night, NJ Transit riders could face a 20 percent to 30 percent fare hike and service cuts.

The proposals were outlined by NJ Transit officials to union leaders Friday and contained in an e-mail sent to members of the union that represents train conductors.

In the e-mail obtained by Eyewitness News, United Transportation Union Patrick Reilly detailed a meeting last Friday between NJ Transit Executive Director James Weinstein, NJ Transit's rail operations director William Duggan and officials of the UTU and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.

The plan is aggressive, and will effect all departments of NJT. The plan comprises of fare hikes of between 20%-30%, and service reductions that are currently being worked on. The service reductions could force the carrier to furlough some of its employees," Reilly wrote.

On Wednesday, after attending his first board meeting since being appointed by Gov. Chris Christie, Weinstein said he didn't know how much fares would go up but said the increase would "be not insignificant."

NJ Transit last raised fares in 2007 by about 9 percent.

Weinstein drew a dire financial picture for the agency and said it faces a projected budget deficit of nearly $300 million for the 2011 fiscal year. Contributing to the shortfall: About $150 million in federal stimulus money used in the current fiscal year that won't be available next year, and a 4 percent drop in ridership systemwide compared to a year ago.

The drop in ridership, which Weinstein attributed to the overall economic downturn, could also lead NJ Transit to cut service correspondingly, a move he called "not unreasonable."

"It's my job to balance the budget, and we're going to have to make some hard choices," he said. "I pledge to our fareholders that we will look at everything possible on the cost side of the equation before we talk about imposing burdens on the riders of our system."

Several speakers at Wednesday's meeting criticized the agency for imposing fare increases on public transit riders when automobile users are not facing an increase in the state's gas tax, the fourth-lowest in the nation behind Alaska, Georgia and Wyoming.

"I will call this what it is: discrimination," said David Peter Alan of the Lackawanna Coalition, a commuters' advocate group. "We are tired of public transit being treated like a business while highways are treated like a public giveaway program."

Weinstein noted that the New Jersey Turnpike increased tolls last year and that some of the increase is to subsidize the construction of an $8.7 billion tunnel in northern New Jersey that is expected to double the number of trains that can travel in and out of Manhattan.

The tunnel project has been criticized by some for its hefty price tag, but Weinstein said NJ Transit isn't changing course.

"We continue to be committed to going forward with the tunnel," he said. "It's an important project that is going to generate billions of dollars in economic activity for this region."

Last week, Gov. Chris Christie said he would withhold about $33 million from NJ Transit's current fiscal year's budget of $296 million as part of his effort to freeze $1.6 billion in unspent money. Christie said he was taking the step to help close the state's $2.2 billion budget hole.

The impending fare hike drew criticism from Assembly Transportation Chairman John Wisniewski, D-Middlesex, who called it "a tax on working people already struggling to make ends meet."

(Copyright ©2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Christie is on some Bull Shit.

Gov. Chris Christie (left) listens as James Weinstein, his new Executive Director of New Jersey Transit, answers a question at the statehouse in Trenton, in this January 2010 file photo. Weinstein today said that the agency could face a budget hole of close to $300 million and may be forced to raise fares, change service.

NEWARK -- NJ Transit’s nearly 900,000 bus, train and light rail riders could be hit with a fare hike as soon as May — the fourth increase in the past eight years, the agency’s executive director said today.

"The fare increase is going to be not insignificant," Executive Director James Weinstein said after the monthly NJ Transit board meeting.

The sad part is that current monthly pass patrons can be hit with an extra fair on top of the fact they have already purchased them.

Philadelphia and Septa!

Remember.Elections has consequences.
    "On the sixth day, God created man. On the seventh day, man returned the favor."
    http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/djchefron

My Brother

Quote Originally Posted by dj-chefron View Post
    Remember.Elections has consequences.
    This is true. It shows but do you think that Obama will be held accountable for this? I think not because he is doing all he can to maintain America's Budget.

Cleaning up past mess is not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rasanthony View Post
    do you think that Obama will be held accountable for this?
    Nah, this one's on Governor Christie.

Quote Originally Posted by djLesCole View Post
    Nah, this one's on Governor Christie.
    Good Looking Fam. Les I need some Music, you coming down to Mann Up Friday?
    May I please have a cd or purchase one? Either or works for me.

NJ Transit raises prices 30%

RasAnthoney, How much does it cost to ride the Path Trains, My man(I remember when the Path Trains were 25 cents in 1979/LOL), I used to take the path train from the World Trade Center to Journal Square in Jersey City, To Hudson Catholic HS in Jersey City(Which was the location for Bank League games in 1979).

Much respect
    Mike Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barnes View Post
    RasAnthoney, How much does it cost to ride the Path Trains, My man(I remember when the Path Trains were 25 cents in 1979/LOL), I used to take the path train from the World Trade Center to Journal Square in Jersey City, To Hudson Catholic HS in Jersey City(Which was the location for Bank League games in 1979).

Much respect
    Mike Barnes
    Brother Mike.
    Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation (PATH)
    Fare Option Price Price Per Ride
    Cash $1.75 $1.75
    1-Trip - SmartLink/PATH SingleRide Ticket $1.75 $1.75
    10-Trip - QuickCard/SmartLink $13.00 $1.30
    20-Trip - QuickCard/SmartLink $26.00 $1.30
    40-Trip - QuickCard/SmartLink $52.00 $1.30
    Senior SmartLink Card - for riders 65 years or older $1.00 $1.00
    SmartLink 1-day pass- unlimited** for 1 day $6.00 N/A
    SmartLink 7-day pass - unlimited** for 7 days $18.00 N/A
    SmartLink 30-day pass - unlimited** for 30 days $54.00 N/A
    Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard $1.75

Brother Mike.
    Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation (PATH)
    Fare Option Price Price Per Ride
    Cash $1.75 $1.75
    1-Trip - SmartLink/PATH SingleRide Ticket $1.75 $1.75
    10-Trip - QuickCard/SmartLink $13.00 $1.30
    20-Trip - QuickCard/SmartLink $26.00 $1.30
    40-Trip - QuickCard/SmartLink $52.00 $1.30
    Senior SmartLink Card - for riders 65 years or older $1.00 $1.00
    SmartLink 1-day pass- unlimited** for 1 day $6.00 N/A
    SmartLink 7-day pass - unlimited** for 7 days $18.00 N/A
    SmartLink 30-day pass - unlimited** for 30 days $54.00 N/A
    Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard $1.75

Stop yer whining...that ain't shit,compared to Chicago prices.2.25 each way without a card.86.00 a month for a monthly pass for CTA here.I pay damn near 200 bucks a month for a Metra commuter train pass and a CTA linkup.

Good Looking Fam. Les I need some Music
    No doubt! There's one or two spots I wanna hit this weekend, I'm sure I'll see you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie 3:26 View Post
    Stop yer whining...that ain't shit,compared to Chicago prices.2.25 each way without a card.86.00 a month for a monthly pass for CTA here.I pay damn near 200 bucks a month for a Metra commuter train pass and a CTA linkup.
    Hey Jamie not whinning fam but damn Just say that you have a monthly pass in Chi town and the rates happen to go up, could you imagine a conductor coming up to you and asking for more money.

In Nj this could happen,

Secaucus: $77

· Kingsland, Lyndhurst: $92

· Delawanna, Rutherford, Wood-Ridge: $104

· Passaic, Garfield, Teterboro: $112

· Clifton, Plauderville, Essex St., Anderson St.: $127

· Paterson, Broadway, Radburn, North Hackensack, River Edge: $137

· Hawthorne, Oradell, Glen Rock Main Line, Glen Rock Boro Hall, Emerson: $154

· Ridgewood, Westwood, Hillsdale: $181

· Ho-Ho-Kus, Waldwick, Woodcliff Lake, Park Ridge, Montvale: $188

· Allendale: $203

· Ramsey: $214

· Mahwah, Suffern: $239

· Pearl River, Nanuet, Spring Valley: $203

· Sloatsburg, Tuxedo: $245

· Harriman: $247

· Salisbury Mills: $254

· Campbell Hall: $259

· Middletown: $267

· Otisville: $282

· Port Jervis: $304

Now put 30% on that.

Hey Jamie not whinning fam but damn Just say that you have a monthly pass in Chi town and the rates happen to go up, could you imagine a conductor coming up to you and asking for more money.

In Nj this could happen,

Secaucus: $77

· Kingsland, Lyndhurst: $92

· Delawanna, Rutherford, Wood-Ridge: $104

· Passaic, Garfield, Teterboro: $112

· Clifton, Plauderville, Essex St., Anderson St.: $127

· Paterson, Broadway, Radburn, North Hackensack, River Edge: $137

· Hawthorne, Oradell, Glen Rock Main Line, Glen Rock Boro Hall, Emerson: $154

· Ridgewood, Westwood, Hillsdale: $181

· Ho-Ho-Kus, Waldwick, Woodcliff Lake, Park Ridge, Montvale: $188

· Allendale: $203

· Ramsey: $214

· Mahwah, Suffern: $239

· Pearl River, Nanuet, Spring Valley: $203

· Sloatsburg, Tuxedo: $245

· Harriman: $247

· Salisbury Mills: $254

· Campbell Hall: $259

· Middletown: $267

· Otisville: $282

· Port Jervis: $304

Now put 30% on that.
    It's gonna go up even more here and they have cut services....

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie 3:26 View Post
    It's gonna go up even more here and they have cut services....
    Yes. That my brother is some bs as well, they are actually going to cut services on top of the raise in fares in NJ as well.

Crazy stuff.

NJ is like California and many other states which are as close as can be to broke for all practical purposes. The New Guy NJ Gov is going be on a hot seat for a long minute. This is not about politics as much as it is about finance even though politicians from the left to the right always seem to have a promissory note about holding the line on taxes and budgets. when they are running for office. They win the vote and get in office and someone in the capital wishes them well then shows them the real big financial picture and everything changes. Look across America and you will see that the price of everything you really need, consume or have to pay for is up except for the average mans salary. If it has not gone up yet it will. The fact is that many more states will have to make budget freezes and cuts. Taxes and the cost of various services (transportation, health care, etc..) will rise. Getting on the bus, rail or DIY and drive your own car are no exception to this fact either. On the other side of the coin is the fact that pensions which are tied to stock markets and all sorts or complex and theoretical mathematical formulas have already started to take a hit. Imagine the scenario where you think that you can retire and have 400k in your 401k and you put in your paperwork and are told that there is only 225k available due to circumstances beyond our control. You say ah no problem and have not realized that typical real estate (your home) is worth less now than 5-7 years ago. Your thought was to sell your home and move to someplace more quaint and less expensive until the realtor shows you a chart of what homes are currently selling for in your area and again you will be inclined to curse like a sailor. I don't know what to say about these and other grim financial realities except it all seems very foul. The truth is that all of this all started many years ago and there have been many catalysts that most people don't care to pay attention to. Most of us are paying now like it or not. Look back if you will at the facts and you will realize that its plain wrong to blame the President.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Poppysoul View Post
    NJ is like California and many other states which are as close as can be to broke for all practical purposes. The New Guy NJ Gov is going be on a hot seat for a long minute. This is not about politics as much as it is about finance even though politicians from the left to the right always seem to have a promissory note about holding the line on taxes and budgets. when they are running for office. They win the vote and get in office and someone in the capital wishes them well then shows them the real big financial picture and everything changes. Look across America and you will see that the price of everything you really need, consume or have to pay for is up except for the average mans salary. If it has not gone up yet it will. The fact is that many more states will have to make budget freezes and cuts. Taxes and the cost of various services (transportation, health care, etc..) will rise. Getting on the bus, rail or DIY and drive your own car are no exception to this fact either. On the other side of the coin is the fact that pensions which are tied to stock markets and all sorts or complex and theoretical mathematical formulas have already started to take a hit. Imagine the scenario where you think that you can retire and have 400k in your 401k and you put in your paperwork and are told that there is only 225k available due to circumstances beyond our control. You say ah no problem and have not realized that typical real estate (your home) is worth less now than 5-7 years ago. Your thought was to sell your home and move to someplace more quaint and less expensive until the realtor shows you a chart of what homes are currently selling for in your area and again you will be inclined to curse like a sailor. I don't know what to say about these and other grim financial realities except it all seems very foul. The truth is that all of this all started many years ago and there have been many catalysts that most people don't care to pay attention to. Most of us are paying now like it or not. Look back if you will at the facts and you will realize that its plain wrong to blame the President.
    Respect for your comment Family.