Thread: IT Help: Transferring programs from an IMac to a MacBook

IT Help: Transferring programs from an IMac to a MacBook

Ok, my friend has a 3 year old Imac, and wants to transfer some of the actual programs from one to another. I would think this is not advisable at all, as the OS must be different.

Even if the OS was the same, I would think this would be difficult.

TIA
    Last edited by MarkK; 03-05-2010 at 08:21 AM.

as in installing software or just moving files? for installing software/applications, i would strongly advise checking out compatibility with the software and whatever version of OSX is on the newer machine. many current versions of various software will work with OSX Snow Leopard but not older versions.

At startup on your new computer, you should be given the opportunity to import your identity and files from your previous computer

Another option, which I use, is to use Silverkeeper to make a disc image, transfer it to new computer, then update the OS.

if it's only 3 years old, the OS is probably Tiger which is totally fine to import files to the new computer.
    (if your friend was running OS 9, you'd have to transfer the files manually)

in any case, the program you need is called Migration Assistant, and it's located in the Utilities folder (in Applications). just hook up the two computers via FireWire cable and start up Migration Assistant on the new machine and follow the instructions.

it will not be transferring Applications per se, but the files (music, documents, video, pictures, etc).

oops
    read that wrong
    nm
    Last edited by D J 1 3 8; 03-05-2010 at 01:31 PM.