Thread: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

Angry Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

Are these fuckers so outta touch? WTF?

Pope Benedict's personal preacher has compared criticism of the pontiff and Church over child abuse to "collective violence" suffered by the Jews.

The Rev Raniero Cantalamessa was speaking at Good Friday prayers in St Peter's Basilica, attended by the Pope.

In his sermon, he quoted a Jewish friend as saying the accusations reminded him of the "more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism".

His comments angered Jewish groups and those representing abuse victims.

Father Cantalamessa said Jews throughout history had been the victims of "collective violence" and drew a comparison with recent attacks on the Roman Catholic Church.

He read the congregation part of a letter from a Jewish friend who said he was "following with disgust the violent and concentric attacks against the Church, the Pope...

"The use of stereotypes, the shifting of personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt remind me of the most shameful aspects of anti-Semitism," he quoted from the letter.

Father Cantalamessa, the preacher to the papal household, is the only person allowed to preach to the Pope.

The BBC's David Willey, in Rome, says the comments show the Church is continuing to defend itself rigorously and outspokenly against accusations of having systematically covered up cases of sexual abuse by priests in recent decades.

Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi later contacted the Associated Press news agency to say Father Cantalamessa was not speaking as a Vatican official.

He said such a comparison could "lead to misunderstandings and is not an official position of the Catholic Church".

In pictures: Good Friday
    Church 'needs fresh start'
    But Stephan Kramer, general-secretary of Germany's Central Council of Jews, described the remarks as offensive and repulsive.

"So far I haven't seen St Peter's burning, nor were there outbursts of violence against Catholic priests," he said.

"I'm without words. The Vatican is now trying to turn the perpetrators into victims."

Peter Isely, spokesman for the US victim support group Snap, said the sermon had been "reckless and irresponsible".

He said: "They're sitting in the papal palace, they're experiencing a little discomfort, and they're going to compare themselves to being rounded up or lined up and sent in cattle cars to Auschwitz?

"You cannot be serious."

Rabbi Gary Greenebaum, of the American Jewish Committee, called Father Cantalamessa's comments "an unfortunate use of language".

"The collective violence against the Jews resulted in the death of six million, while the collective violence spoken of here has not led to murder and destruction, but perhaps character assault," he said.

Pope accused

The Roman Catholic Church has been embroiled in fresh allegations of child sex abuse by priests, most recently in Germany.

The Pope has been accused of failing to take action against a suspected abuser during his tenure as archbishop of Munich - a claim the Vatican strongly denies.

Critics also say that when he was head of the Vatican office dealing with sex abuse, he did not act against a US priest who is thought to have abused some 200 deaf boys.

Following the service at St Peter's Basilica, the Pope went to Rome's Colosseum for the Way of the Cross procession commemorating Christ's crucifixion.

During the procession, the Pope spoke briefly about the evening's religious observances before blessing the crowd, prompting cheers and some shouts of "Long live the Pope".

On Saturday, he is to lead an Easter vigil service in St Peter's and on Sunday he is due to deliver his traditional Urbi et Orbi - to the city and the world - message and blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    Are these fuckers so outta touch? WTF?

Pope Benedict's personal preacher has compared criticism of the pontiff and Church over child abuse to "collective violence" suffered by the Jews.
    Un-fucking-believable.

Its about time the Catholic Church was outlawed in this country....

Quote Originally Posted by Nay Sayer View Post
    Un-fucking-believable.

There's been a resounding FAIL response to this story. Unreal they try to paint these paedophiles as victims. the fuck?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8601389.stm

Jewish groups and victims of sex abuse by Catholic priests have condemned the Pope's preacher for comparing criticism of the pontiff to anti-Semitism.

US-based abuse victims' group Snap said the remarks were "morally wrong".

The head of Germany's Central Council of Jews described the Easter sermon as unprecedented "insolence".

The Catholic Church has been rocked by abuse scandals this year. The Vatican said Raniero Cantalamessa's remarks did not represent its official view.

Drawing such parallels could "lead to misunderstandings", Vatican spokesman Rev Federico Lombardi told the Associated Press.

'Repulsive and offensive'

Fr Cantalamessa's sermon was printed in full on the front page of the Vatican's official newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano.

ANALYSIS

David Willey, BBC Vatican correspondent

The Vatican has been engaged for the past few months in a damage-control operation, defending itself vigorously over claims it covered up cases of sexual abuse in recent decades.
    But on one of the most solemn weekends in the Christian calendar, it sparked fresh controversy over its handling of the scandals, which have erupted in many countries.

Fr Raniero Cantalamessa probably thought it would be helpful to compare recent criticism against the Church to anti-Semitism, but he hit absolutely the wrong note.

Although Benedict XVI has made a point of visiting Israel, relations are still tetchy to say the least and comments like this won't help.

But the bigger problem is not ties with Israel, but the damage done to the credibility of the Catholic Church worldwide; this is a very serious crisis for the Vatican.

The Pope, meanwhile, appears to have decided to refrain from any direct comment on the abuse scandals this Easter.

The Catholic Church has been engulfed this year by sex abuse scandals, many dating back decades, in Ireland, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Austria, the Pope's native Germany and the US.

At a Good Friday service in St Peter's Basilica in Rome, the Preacher of the Pontifical Household compared criticism of the Church over abuse allegations to "the collective violence suffered by the Jews".

Fr Cantalamessa said he had been inspired by a letter from a Jewish friend who had been upset by the "attacks" against the Pope.

He then read part of the letter, in which his friend said he was following "with indignation the violent and concentric attacks against the Church, the Pope and all the faithful of the whole world".

"The use of stereotypes and the passing from personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt remind me of the more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism," he quoted the letter as saying, as the Pope listened.

The comments swiftly provoked angry reactions both from Jewish groups and those representing abuse victims.

The secretary general of Germany's Central Council of Jews, Stephan Kramer, told the Associated Press the remarks were "repulsive, obscene and most of all offensive towards all abuse victims as well as to all the victims of the Holocaust".

A spokesman for the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (Snap) said the sermon had been "reckless and irresponsible".

'Failure to act'

Benedict is to lead a Saturday vigil service in St Peter's, before delivering his traditional Urbi et Orbi - "for the city and the world" - message and blessing on Easter Sunday.

In pictures: Good Friday
    Church 'needs fresh start'
    Irish Church 'lost credibility'
    The pontiff has been accused personally of failing to take action against a suspected abuser during his tenure as archbishop of Munich - a claim the Vatican strongly denies.

Critics also say that when he was prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which deals with sex abuse cases, he did not act against a priest in the US state of Wisconsin who is thought to have abused some 200 deaf boys.

On Friday, the Associated Press reported that the then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger had also allowed a case against a priest in Arizona to languish at the Vatican for years, despite repeated pleas from a local bishop for the man to be removed from the priesthood.

Documents reportedly show that in 1990, members of a Church tribunal found that Rev Michael Teta had molested children as far back as the late 1970s.

The panel referred the case to Cardinal Ratzinger. But it took 12 years from the time the future Pope assumed control of the case in a signed letter until Rev Teta was removed from the ministry, it was alleged.

Meanwhile, a number of Palestinian Christians said Israel had denied them access to Easter Saturday celebrations in Jerusalem's Old City.

Israel said it had issued 10,000 permits and that numbers had to be restricted for security and safety reasons.

There are over 200,000 Christians living in Israel and on the West Bank and many need passes from Israel in order to visit Jerusalem.

Somewhere on Chicago's "Sookie Sookie" Southside!
    Certain levels of Christianity is a joke!

How can any religious group allow such a culture of criminal activity to exist?

The Catholic Church appears to be acting above the law, that's foul!!

There needs to PERP walks for any church official who has played a part in the cover up of molesting children.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...95&ref=profile
    Old men start wars that young men fight.

Not the less shameful aspects of anti-semitism, but the more shameful ones.
    since feeling is first
    who pays any attention
    to the syntax of things
    will never wholly kiss you
    -e.e.cummings

niggers too
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

the popes priest is an ass. thankfully the statement was refuted. However, it's quite disturbing that the Catholic leadership has decided to take a confrontational stance in this matter. They aren't very good at it and their response has been ham-fisted at best. The victims of abuse by priests deserve justice and compassion not obfuscation and denial
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Somewhere on Chicago's "Sookie Sookie" Southside!
    Quote Originally Posted by Palatine William Wilson View Post
    niggers too

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...95&ref=profile
    Old men start wars that young men fight.

the popes priest is an ass. thankfully the statement was refuted. However, it's quite disturbing that the Catholic leadership has decided to take a confrontational stance in this matter. They aren't very good at it and their response has been ham-fisted at best. The victims of abuse by priests deserve justice and compassion not obfuscation and denial
    Playing victim, in this instance, leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

I think their reaction only serves to highlight quite how out of touch they are, as well as demonstrating their arrogance.

im not catholic but that was a very ignorant statement

"the shifting of personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt."

Isn't the Church predicated on collective guilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blake View Post
    "the shifting of personal responsibility and guilt to a collective guilt."

Isn't the Church predicated on collective guilt?
    Nah just plain ol' guilt.

*chuckle*

Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    Playing victim, in this instance, leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

I think their reaction only serves to highlight quite how out of touch they are, as well as demonstrating their arrogance.
    and that victim left a bad taste in many boys mouths.....

The biggest and best-organized gang in the world: the catholic church!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaaos View Post
    im not catholic but that was a very ignorant statement
    The Catholic Church has made the protection of pedophiles a higher priority than the safety and well being of innocent defenseless children. This policy has been handed down from the Pope himself.

Be that as it may, I think any other organization that had the Catholic Church's record with respect to pedophilia would probably have seen most of it's leadership behind bars by now.

Yet, the Church so far has received a pass.

The Catholic Church is as much a criminal organization as is the Italian Mofia. The time has come for it to receive the same treatment, IMO.

The Catholic Church has made the protection of pedophiles a higher priority than the safety and well being of innocent defenseless children. This policy has been handed down from the Pope himself.

Be that as it may, I think any other organization that had the Catholic Church's record with respect to pedophilia would probably have seen most of it's leadership behind bars by now.

Yet, the Church so far has received a pass.

The Catholic Church is as much a criminal organization as is the Italian Mofia. The time has come for it to receive the same treatment, IMO.
    You're ignorant

You're ignorant
    Maybe, but nowhere near as ignorant as the "leadership" in the Catholic Church. They make the Three Stooges look like Copernicus, Da Vinci, and Einstein...

Maybe, but nowhere near as ignorant as the "leadership" in the Catholic Church. They make the Three Stooges look like Copernicus, Da Vinci, and Einstein...
    Some of the leadership is terrible and needs to be prosecuted. However, the church itself is no criminal organization

Some of the leadership is terrible and needs to be prosecuted. However, the church itself is no criminal organization
    When the head guy in your organization knowingly covers up criminal activity on the part of his underlings - and all of his lieutenants follow along in lockstep - then you're dealing with a criminal organization.

The Catholic Church has a LONG history of this type of activity.

Spade = Spade