Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Jefferson!

Marshall Jefferson!

Ok, everytime I see one of his posts on here, I have to admit I feel a bit star struck. I remember those years of 1986, 87, 88 and running to Disco Rama on West 4th Street every payday and snatching up every 12 inch I could get on the Trax label. Me and my friends, who were such die-hard Larry Levan devotees and at that time couldn't fathom living anywhere but New York City, I remember we would listen to this music coming out of Chicago and wonder what kind of acid are they on in Chicago and joke that we gotta move there tomorrow!

Marshall Jefferson....I am so glad you are posting on here. It is a joy to see your name here. For all you've given us, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Last edited by EddieW8; 07-26-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    You'll have to excuse me. I'm the product of a broken disco.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieW8 View Post
    Ok, everytime I see one of his posts on here, I have to admit I feel a bit star struck. I remember those years of 1986, 87, 88 and running to Disco Rama on West 4th Street every payday and snatching up every 12 inch I could get on the Trax label. Me and my friends, who were such die-hard Larry Levan devotees and at that time couldn't fathom living anywhere but New York City, I remember we would listen to this music coming out of Chicago and wonder what kind of acid are they on in Chicago and joke that we gotta move there tomorrow!

Marshall Jefferson....I am so glad you are posting on here. It is a joy to see your name here. For all you've given us, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Still think this is not a fucking classic????????

I have at least 20 new songs coming out in the next 3 months, and I'm remaking my entire Trax records catalog for publishing reasons, hopefully something good will come out of that.......

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Jefferson View Post
    I have at least 20 new songs coming out in the next 3 months, and I'm remaking my entire Trax records catalog for publishing reasons, hopefully something good will come out of that.......
    Marshall, whats the history of the "House Music National Anthem" ...how did that tune come to be?

Quote Originally Posted by julian_kelly View Post
    Marshall, whats the history of the "House Music National Anthem" ...how did that tune come to be?

we know that Mundaca sang it

Quote Originally Posted by Armenoid View Post
    we know that Mundaca sang it
    Hot damn it. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
    \"Time makes more converts than reason.\"

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Rock View Post
    disrespectful.
    I Am Almost Keeping It Real

Marshall, I'm wondering about the version of Move Your Body that came out on DJ International, it's very different than the piano version on Trax - the DJ International 12" is a beast, for sure. Can you tell us a bit about the different versions, which came out first etc.

Also, can you tell us a bit about the Virgo EP, that EP is pretty insanely deep, My Space and R U Hot Enough are my jams.

Last edited by Prince HiFi; 07-26-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieW8 View Post

Preach!

Marshall's music during the 86-87 era at The Garage was/is legendary, Man, for me it was Time Marches on, when I first heard Larry played it I lost my damn mind.
    That song got me thru a lot during that time(I know it sounds crazy)

Time, Time, Time!

A friggin Classic!

And for me it was Vinyl Mania where we Queens catz brought all of Marshall's records.
    The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing.

I heard it in my head on my job at the Post Office, but with female vocals, and different words. I got home and did the piano, bass and drums. I thought it was hot as hell, and booked a session at Lito Manlucu's studio. Called up my buddies from the Post Office (Curtis McClain, Rudy Forbes, Thomas Carr) wrote the verse and the backgrounds in the studio. Recording and mixing time was about 3 hours total. They thought it sucked. I thought it was the hottest shit the dancefloor would ever hear, but I have quite the ego.

The night, I took the song 1st to the Sheba Baby club, where Mike Dunn, Tyree Cooper, and Hugo Hutchinson were DJ'ing. This was before they all had records out, and I was known as Virgo. (loved that nickname!) They loved the song and I gave them a cassette copy, but they said it wasn't House music because of the piano. From there i drove to the Music Box to give Ron Hardy a copy. Outside in the car i played it on my car system for some friends (One was K-Alexi) and I don't think they were too impressed. I'd had about 15 unreleased songs playing in the Music Box at that time and they thought some of my other stuff was much hotter. They also said it wasn't House Music because of the piano.

After that, I went into the Music Box and gave DJ Ron Hardy a copy while he was playing. I didn't expect him to play it right away; usually i just gave him a copy and he'd listen to it later and maybe play it the next weekend. This time he put it in the cassette machine right away. I saw his head quickly go into a violent bobbing motion and I knew he liked the song. He immediately put it on and played it 6 times in a row, putting on a sound effects record while he rewound the tape.

From there it got to be the biggest song in the Music Box. Ron told me not to give it to anybody else, and I held off for awhile, but there were other DJ's in the city that wanted it and finally I gave in when Frankie Knuckles, Ron Hardy's biggest rival got a copy of it. Prior to that,I took it to Trax Records to press it up on my own label. At that time Larry Sherman, the owner, considered himself a House music expert because he'd previously put out Jesse Saunders stuff and also 4 of my records. He hated the song and said it wasn't House music because of the piano. I didn't care and paid him to press the record up.

13 months passed before he finally pressed it up, but there were some things that happened before that......................

After Frankie Knuckles got a copy of it, it seemed the flood gates opened. I had to give Lil Louis and Fast Eddie copies, because Eddie lived 2 doors down from me on my block and Lil Louis lived on the next block. Mike Dunn, Tyree Cooper, and Hugo Hutchinson already had copies. Pretty soon it seemed like every DJ in Chicago had copies................some really bad and some passable, but crowds freaked every time it came on.

International DJ's played it to and this is how I tracked down how they got copies, after talking to the DJ's and members of the press:

1. Frankie Knuckies got his copy from my friend Sleezy D.
    2. Frankie Knuckles' best friend was Larry Levan from New York's Paradise Garage. At that time, DJ's from all over the world would fly to New York to hear what Larry played, because whatever was popular there became hits.
    3. Somehow DJ Alfredo from Ibiza got a copy of it, and started playing it in Ibiza.
    4. English DJ's Paul Oakenfold, Danny Rampling, and Jazzy M got copies. Pete Tong and Paul "Trouble" Anderson got copies too, but I'm not sure if they got it at the same time as the 1st 3 or not.
    5. Once the English DJ's started playing, things got weird, because the press got involved. England was quick to jump on a new music trend and got on it right away. "Move Your Body" had the words "Gotta have House music, all night long", and with that "House" music, you can't go wrong!" so naturally, the next task was finding out what house music was and getting the full scoop.

I started hearing English accents asking me for interviews when I answered the phone. I thought it was my friends screwing with me, but damn, those accents sounded authentic. I did a few phone interviews and suddenly, a whole herd of British Press all flew to Chicago to interview any and everyone involved with House music. They sat in on sessions and took loads of pics. Of course, Larry Sherman considered himself the resident expert on House Music and offered to take all the press around to all the House music clubs in the city. At that time I'd tried everything to get Larry to press up Move Your Body, but he hated it and said it wasn't House Music. It was because he said it wasn't House music that I called it "The House Music Anthem".I even paid him with my own money to press it up. and he still hadn't done it.

Well, when Larry took the press around to all the House clubs, Move Your Body was the hottest song playing at every single club-on dirty cassettes. The day after he took the press around to all those clubs, Move Your Body was finally on vinyl.

We are being graced by one of the fathers of house who is willing to open up to us. How often do you think paul mccartney gets on a beatles message board and shares with them.

We are fortunate here at dhp to be among LEGENDS... Marshall. David. Fk. Chip e. Lrr. Doug. And I could go on. I haven't even scratched the surface.

Let's act like we know and appreciate what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince HiFi View Post
    Marshall, I'm wondering about the version of Move Your Body that came out on DJ International, it's very different than the piano version on Trax - the DJ International 12" is a beast, for sure. Can you tell us a bit about the different versions, which came out first etc.

Also, can you tell us a bit about the Virgo EP, that EP is pretty is pretty insanely deep, My Space and R U Hot Enough are my jams.
    After Move Your Body got hot in the clubs, I stupidly thought I could do a better
    version in a big studio. The DJ International version is a 24 track version recorded at Paragon in Chicago.

The Virgo EP was supposed to be 2 songs from me and 2 from Adonis and was supposed to be called "Virgo and Adonis". "No Way Back" was supposed to be on there but Adonis pulled it when it got played at a party and he found out how hot it was. There was another song called "The Final Groove" that he wrote and he pulled that too, but it never came out. "My Space" and "R U Hot Enough" were last minute replacements.

*edit*Ooops! There was also a version of "Under You" called "The Pleasure Exchange" it had female vocals and breathing on it, kind of like a cross between "Sensuous Black Woman" and "Love To Love You Baby" that version never came out either. Hardy played it and copies of it are still floating around. Maybe Jamie will have it. I think Gene Hunt has a copy, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Marshall Jefferson; 07-26-2010 at 07:30 PM.

I heard it in my head on my job at the Post Office, but with female vocals, and different words. I got home and did the piano, bass and drums. I thought it was hot as hell, and booked a session at Lito Manlucu's studio. Called up my buddies from the Post Office (Curtis McClain, Rudy Forbes, Thomas Carr) wrote the verse and the backgrounds in the studio. Recording and mixing time was about 3 hours total. They thought it sucked. I thought it was the hottest shit the dancefloor would ever hear, but I have quite the ego.

The night, I took the song 1st to the Sheba Baby club, where Mike Dunn, Tyree Cooper, and Hugo Hutchinson were DJ'ing. This was before they all had records out, and I was known as Virgo. (loved that nickname!) They loved the song and I gave them a cassette copy, but they said it wasn't House music because of the piano. From there i drove to the Music Box to give Ron Hardy a copy. Outside in the car i played it on my car system for some friends (One was K-Alexi) and I don't think they were too impressed. I'd had about 15 unreleased songs playing in the Music Box at that time and they thought some of my other stuff was much hotter. They also said it wasn't House Music because of the piano.

After that, I went into the Music Box and gave DJ Ron Hardy a copy while he was playing. I didn't expect him to play it right away; usually i just gave him a copy and he'd listen to it later and maybe play it the next weekend. This time he put it in the cassette machine right away. I saw his head quickly go into a violent bobbing motion and I knew he liked the song. He immediately put it on and played it 6 times in a row, putting on a sound effects record while he rewound the tape.

From there it got to be the biggest song in the Music Box. Ron told me not to give it to anybody else, and I held off for awhile, but there were other DJ's in the city that wanted it and finally I gave in when Frankie Knuckles, Ron Hardy's biggest rival got a copy of it. Prior to that,I took it to Trax Records to press it up on my own label. At that time Larry Sherman, the owner, considered himself a House music expert because he'd previously put out Jesse Saunders stuff and also 4 of my records. He hated the song and said it wasn't House music because of the piano. I didn't care and paid him to press the record up.

13 months passed before he finally pressed it up, but there were some things that happened before that......................

After Frankie Knuckles got a copy of it, it seemed the flood gates opened. I had to give Lil Louis and Fast Eddie copies, because Eddie lived 2 doors down from me on my block and Lil Louis lived on the next block. Mike Dunn, Tyree Cooper, and Hugo Hutchinson already had copies. Pretty soon it seemed like every DJ in Chicago had copies................some really bad and some passable, but crowds freaked every time it came on.

International DJ's played it to and this is how I tracked down how they got copies, after talking to the DJ's and members of the press:

2. Frankie Knuckles' best friend was Larry Levan from New York's Paradise Garage. At that time, DJ's from all over the world would fly to New York to hear what Larry played, because whatever was popular there became hits.
    3. Somehow DJ Alfredo from Ibiza got a copy of it, and started playing it in Ibiza.
    4. English DJ's Paul Oakenfold, Danny Rampling, and Jazzy M got copies. Pete Tong and Paul "Trouble" Anderson got copies too, but I'm not sure if they got it at the same time as the 1st 3 or not.
    5. Once the English DJ's started playing, things got weird, because the press got involved. England was quick to jump on a new music trend and got on it right away. "Move Your Body" had the words "Gotta have House music, all night long", and with that "House" music, you can't go wrong!" so naturally, the next task was finding out what house music was and getting the full scoop.

I started hearing English accents asking me for interviews when I answered the phone. I thought it was my friends screwing with me, but damn, those accents sounded authentic. I did a few phone interviews and suddenly, a whole herd of British Press all flew to Chicago to interview any and everyone involved with House music. They sat in on sessions and took loads of pics. Of course, Larry Sherman considered himself the resident expert on House Music and offered to take all the press around to all the House music clubs in the city. At that time I'd tried everything to get Larry to press up Move Your Body, but he hated it and said it wasn't House Music. It was because he said it wasn't House music that I called it "The House Music Anthem".I even paid him with my own money to press it up. and he still hadn't done it.

Well, when Larry took the press around to all the House clubs, Move Your Body was the hottest song playing at every single club-on dirty cassettes. The day after he took the press around to all those clubs, Move Your Body was finally on vinyl.
    Wow, Marshall. Thanks for all this history! I still feel star struck.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Island Head View Post
    Preach!

Marshall's music during the 86-87 era at The Garage was/is legendary, Man, for me it was Time Marches on, when I first heard Larry played it I lost my damn mind.
    That song got me thru a lot during that time(I know it sounds crazy)

Time, Time, Time!

A friggin Classic!

And for me it was Vinyl Mania where we Queens catz brought all of Marshall's records.
    I feel you. It definitely doesn't sound crazy to me that 'Time Marches On' got you through a lot during that time because it did the same for me! As fierce as all the music and partying was in those days, there was an ugly side of drug addiction, particularly crack & cocaine, and AIDS. I was losing friends left and right from both plagues and 'Time Marches On' would bring me to serious tears and inspire me all at the same time. For years I always requested this song from Timmy at Shelter for my birthday.
    Last edited by EddieW8; 07-26-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liL Ray View Post
    disrespectful.
    very.

This is good stuff Marshall

Also, how did Ten City come to be?

What the story behind "Devotion" ?

I always admired the musicality of Ten City...very well composed songs...and the strings were the trademark that always set it off.

I always admired the musicality of Ten City...very well composed songs...and the strings were the trademark that always set it off.
    I don't know much but didn't Timmy Regisford have a lot to do with Ten City's music going beyond Chicago? Correct me if I'm wrong.

After Move Your Body got hot in the clubs, I stupidly thought I could do a better
    version in a big studio. The DJ International version is a 24 track version recorded at Paragon in Chicago.

The Virgo EP was supposed to be 2 songs from me and 2 from Adonis and was supposed to be called "Virgo and Adonis". "No Way Back" was supposed to be on there but Adonis pulled it when it got played at a party and he found out how hot it was. There was another song called "The Final Groove" that he wrote and he pulled that too, but it never came out. "My Space" and "R U Hot Enough" were last minute replacements.

*edit*Ooops! There was also a version of "Under You" called "The Pleasure Exchange" it had female vocals and breathing on it, kind of like a cross between "Sensuous Black Woman" and "Love To Love You Baby" that version never came out either. Hardy played it and copies of it are still floating around. Maybe Jamie will have it. I think Gene Hunt has a copy, but I'm not sure.
    I love the DJ International version of "Move Your Body" it sounds fantastic, so interesting about it being a 24 track studio re-cut.

Also, I'm very surprised that My Space and R U were last minute add ons to that record, RU lifts that whole record brilliantly, that's a hell of an EP.

Thanks you so much for your music and for sharing here on DHP. I'll also mention that I bought "Feel Me" on USB Records and really liked it as well.

omg!!! DID ANYBODY ELSE GET GOOSEBUMPS READING THIS??

I just remember the debauchery that went on at the Paradise Garage when this was played...it was a stampede to the dancefloor....and when it was released on vinyl here in NYC, Vinylmania could have enough copies....wow

Can you touch on the remix that David Cole did on it years later? Did you like it? did you give your blessing on it? I personally think he revitalize the record for the early 90s crowd...Little Louie Vega debut it at Sound Factory Bar and the place went wild again....

Marshall, what your records did to us in the NYC area is LEGENDARY!!! You could have stopped at Time Marches on and The Jungle and those alone would have made you in NYC!!! If you were a dj in NYC in the 80s and didn't have these 2 records in your crate, don't even show up at the gig....you should see what Time Marches on does to the Paradise Garage floor...especially when that bass drops in, and the voice comes in....OMG!!!

Respect.
    I Am Almost Keeping It Real

I met Byron Stingily down at Trax records. He'd sang lead on a song called "Funny Love" by Dezz 7. I loved the words and found out he wrote them. From there we started working on songs together........did about 5 that never came out. Among the ones that did come out were "Devotion" and I Can't Stay Away"

"Devotion" came about when we were out on a double date. The girls went off on their own and we started singing about them. I went home and did the music, then let Byron hear it the next day. I told him it was the song we wrote last night and he didn't believe it. After that we could write songs together over the phone just singing parts back and forth. Byron Burke and Herb Lawson were friends of Byron's. Atlantic Records wanted to sign Byron as a solo act but he didn't want to be on stage by himself. In fact, his 1st 10 shows as Ten City he performed with his eyes closed. Byron and Herb eventually got more involved in the songwriting process and took over on the 2nd album.

disrespectful.
    to Who ???

Can you touch on the remix that David Cole did on it years later? Did you like it? did you give your blessing on it? I personally think he revitalize the record for the early 90s crowd...Little Louie Vega debut it at Sound Factory Bar and the place went wild again....
    Cole and Cliviles actually did that version the same year Move Your Body came out-1986. They didn't have any records out at that time yet. It got pretty popular even before the 90's I think. That version also preceded "Do It Properly"

Marshall, what your records did to us in the NYC area is LEGENDARY!!! You could have stopped at Time Marches on and The Jungle and those alone would have made you in NYC!!! If you were a dj in NYC in the 80s and didn't have these 2 records in your crate, don't even show up at the gig....you should see what Time Marches on does to the Paradise Garage floor...especially when that bass drops in, and the voice comes in....OMG!!!

Respect.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of grief I get from Jamie and other Chicago DJ's about the "original" version of "The Jungle" that never came out.......I thought it was pretty shitty myself. Recently I remade the "original" version (it had different drums, no flute, and no strings) and gave it to Jamie. He seemed to like it so ask him how it compares. I'll put it out next month.

If you were a dj in NYC in the 80s and didn't have these 2 records in your crate, don't even show up at the gig....you should see what Time Marches on does to the Paradise Garage floor...especially when that bass drops in, and the voice comes in....OMG!!!
    First time hearing this amazing track was on a Friday, spring of 87. Frankie Knuckles introduced it in a radio mix. After recording it, I played the tape a few times, cause I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I get to Frankie's club(The PowerHouse), later on and sure enough, he begans to play it. Folks who 'already' knew what is was, started losing it-self included! Bassline kicks in and you heard was 'aw yeah!' and 'bam, bam, bam', from feet pounding the floor.

Like I said, before my favorite Marshall Jefferson track.
    When you can't see the angles no more, you're in trouble baby, you're in trouble. Carlito's Way

omg!!! DID ANYBODY ELSE GET GOOSEBUMPS READING THIS??

I just remember the debauchery that went on at the Paradise Garage when this was played...it was a stampede to the dancefloor....and when it was released on vinyl here in NYC, Vinylmania could have enough copies....wow

Respect.
    It also sounded good at Club Zanzibar