Thread: what comes 1st bass ,melody or chords

what comes 1st bass ,melody or chords

Hi ,
    for more deep house tracks (inst) than vocals what would you suggest comes 1st bass , melody or chords ?

thanks for all your help.

whichever one you want, really. Sometimes, I have an idea where I start with a bassline. Sometimes I start with a simple melody. Sometimes I start with the chords.
    Hello World with DZA is live on Sundays from 2-4pm EST on Deephouselounge.com

Yeah I agree with devant, if you are really stuck I often start with chords to work out what key i want to work in and then lay down bass and melody. Often I will then re do the chords to make them more rhymic or change the voicings. So the track grows organically with each part inspired by the last.
    Luke Richardson
    House, Jazz and Soul
    DJ / Producer - Nottingham, UK.

www.DoingSomethingWithJazz.co.uk
    www.LukeRichardson.co.uk
    Soundcloud.com/LukeRichardson

Thanks guys

most often i start with the beat. i find some samples i like and think they work well together. i programm a basic beat. add some element to make it mor special. if i have something i like a add stabs or chords. after that i lay down the bass. after that i start arragnging and ad a couple more elements.

It totaly depends on what you are trying to achieve with the track. what vibe are you looking for

I would say no rules

I'd agree with Blackwax on the "no rules" rule. LOL....Probably still productive for people to talk about how they like to approach things though. For instance, it's interesting to me that others put the bassline off until later in the process. That's usually the first thing I'm thinking about and the main thing I'm listening for in other people's music.

I guess it depends on what the inspiration for the track is. Sometimes its an idea for a bassline, or some chords / pads, or some nicely FXd soundscape (one of these inspired my track 'afterthought') , or even just a thumping beat riff.
    Id say its probably easier to fit a chord sequence etc around a nice groovey bassline, than coming up with one to fit everything else (fitting a bassline around a track lends to settling for something thats a bit boring or done to death). Thats personal preference though.
    If I was starting from scratch with no inspiration at all I would probably start with a bassline and use a sampled beat / percussion section from a pro track to get it going, add a few chords, pads, etc with it and see how it sounds. If it seems to gel together quite well then I'd replace the sampled beat with my own riff and progress it from there.
    Next Release. Altered Perceptions EP out now on Beatport.

https://soundcloud.com/damian_s/sets...ed-perceptions

Quote Originally Posted by blackwax View Post
    It totaly depends on what you are trying to achieve with the track. what vibe are you looking for

I would say no rules
    Co-Sign.