Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'm going digital....bye bye cds.

Traktor. I like reading my waves horizontally, not vertically.
    I like electronic, but it's gotta be Yoruba!

Quote Originally Posted by Ecuahouse View Post
    Traktor. I like reading my waves horizontally, not vertically.
    you can read them horizontally in Serato. It's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie 3:26 View Post
    Gonna check out Tractor(sp) for a comparison vs the Seratos.I am tired of not having shit I want at gigs...plus they have a Serato box in the booth at the monthly spot I play at,so why not.

I don't need a bunch of shit,so I'm gonna see whch one's easier for me to adapt to.I have used Serato on some mobile gigs and I just like the fact of having all of my music at my fingertips.

Still gonna do certain gigs using cd's,until I feel totally comfy,but the time has come.

Hell,most clubs are also upgrading to CDJ 2000's,so I can bring a stick drive and be good.I plan on being able to do that as well.
    Sellout bastid, I'm gonna report you to the Amsterdam airport!

Idance

Quote Originally Posted by LEONARD REMIX RROY View Post
    I don't know much about Tractor outside of it being a dream unit for compujocks who can't mix water with dirt & make mud.

It has trainwreck proof softwear / advanced beat detection and Sync Lock for automatic synchronization of tracks.
    What you are describing above sounds far, far more Ableton Live.... It feels that perhaps someone should point this out for your benefit once and for all: Traktor can be set to exactly emulate vinyl play, with everything functioning pretty much as you would have a traditional setup in most every way possible if that is what you desire, and certainly none of those 'compu-jock' features you keep making fun of.

Without malice, I would also encourage you to first try things in-depth and master them before making such comments, as there may be some who would say that they only reveal a bit of stereotyping and insecurity on your part. Whether you like the system or not, please try and be fair about it. In order to be fair, and unless endowed with supernatural abilities, the rest of us usually have to have a minimum of hands-on experience before passing such judgment. No?

That it may not be your personal preference is not the issue here. Just use of stereotypes which might not be the ones that actually apply due to lack of personal experience....

Peace.
    Last edited by FK; 01-18-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    MP3 = mediocrity in sound™ <~> making True Audible Calls™ since 2009 || FK on Social Networks -> :: Twitter :: MySpace :: FaceBook ::

Gonna check out Tractor(sp) for a comparison vs the Seratos.I am tired of not having shit I want at gigs...plus they have a Serato box in the booth at the monthly spot I play at,so why not.

I don't need a bunch of shit,so I'm gonna see whch one's easier for me to adapt to.I have used Serato on some mobile gigs and I just like the fact of having all of my music at my fingertips.

Still gonna do certain gigs using cd's,until I feel totally comfy,but the time has come.

Hell,most clubs are also upgrading to CDJ 2000's,so I can bring a stick drive and be good.I plan on being able to do that as well.
    U know I got you on the Serato tips!
    I Don't Play For DJ'S!!

Friday Good Vibrations - Every Friday 2:30pm-4:30pm http://www.handzonradio.fm

Friday Night, Spinning @ Club 347 in Baltimore 347 N. Calvert St.

Saturday Night, Spinning @ Identity Ultra Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by FK View Post
    What you are describing above sounds far, far more Ableton Live.... It feels that perhaps someone should point this out for your benefit once and for all: Traktor can be set to exactly emulate vinyl play, with everything functioning pretty much as you would have a traditional setup in most every way possible if that is what you desire, and certainly none of those 'compu-jock' features you keep making fun of.

Without malice, I would also encourage you to first try things in-depth and master them before making such comments, as there may be some who would say that they only reveal a bit of stereotyping and insecurity on your part. Whether you like the system or not, please try and be fair about it. In order to be fair, and unless endowed with supernatural abilities, the rest of us usually have to have a minimum of hands-on experience before passing such judgment. No?

That it may not be your personal preference is not the issue here. Just use of stereotypes which might not be the ones that actually apply due to lack of personal experience....

Peace.

every time he mentions traktor it feels like when my grandmother would act like playing super NES on her tv was going to break it.
    Hello World with DZA is live on Sundays from 2-4pm EST on Deephouselounge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Devant View Post
    every time he mentions traktor it feels like when my grandmother would act like playing super NES on her tv was going to break it.

Since pong, black mothers and grandmothers have been blockin' video games with this erroneous logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post

Since pong, black mothers and grandmothers have been blockin' video games with this erroneous logic.
    lol they even made fun of this in one of the Kid N Play movies or was that Friday? I don't know, but I lost my shit when I saw it.

The logic behind this floored me because she'd be watching movies with massive explosions and fast cut shots, which, by her logic, should have been way more damaging.
    Last edited by Devant; 01-18-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Man, I've been contemplating this for sometime as well.

I've been leaning more towards traktor based on the good things I've read here and what I've been told by Traktor users.

if this helps anyone...

i've been using Serato for about 7-8 years now. for the first year of owning it i still played records out. maybe at about year 3 of owning it i was only using serato while playing out. but i felt a bit lost out there sometimes...just a bit. so with the good comes the bad. that lost feeling was what i had to endure in order to have an endless amount of music with me.

nowadays, i play vinyl too when i'm out. i found it alleviates that lost feeling. going back and forth throughout the night is actually a lot of fun too. you get excited to switch over... or trying things like leaving a loop going on serato (or software of your choice) while bringing in a vinyl. and when you're drunk and blurry, turning off the bright computer screen and going to all vinyl is a very nice thing.

From the streets of Brooklyn, living in the burbs of Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by drilla View Post
    if this helps anyone...

i've been using Serato for about 7-8 years now. for the first year of owning it i still played records out. maybe at about year 3 of owning it i was only using serato while playing out. but i felt a bit lost out there sometimes...just a bit. so with the good comes the bad. that lost feeling was what i had to endure in order to have an endless amount of music with me.

nowadays, i play vinyl too when i'm out. i found it alleviates that lost feeling. going back and forth throughout the night is actually a lot of fun too. you get excited to switch over... or trying things like leaving a loop going on serato (or software of your choice) while bringing in a vinyl. and when you're drunk and blurry, turning off the bright computer screen and going to all vinyl is a very nice thing.
    I play SeratoS with the vinyl and it has the exact same feel to me.
    The BK Show - Hosted by DJ Val Thursday's 8 PM www.DHPradio.com

The BK Show - Hosted by DJ Val Monday's 8 PM (Bi-Weekly) www.CyberJamz.com

http://djval-bkny11203.podOmatic.com

http://soundcloud.com/djval_bkny11203

2013 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bkny11203 View Post
    Same here.

btw, great meeting you Sunday Night!
    I Don't Play For DJ'S!!

Friday Good Vibrations - Every Friday 2:30pm-4:30pm http://www.handzonradio.fm

Friday Night, Spinning @ Club 347 in Baltimore 347 N. Calvert St.

Saturday Night, Spinning @ Identity Ultra Lounge

I've tried Traktor, Serato, and Ableton. I should probably settle on one of them and really master it, but I don't. I still play CD's.

I would suggest Ableton, if only for the fact that you can remaster songs with it. You can add plugins and it also has built in plugins. You can also remix records with it, (Cratebug remixes with it). Just give me a call anytime or come over and I'll show you how to enhance/master songs with it.

If someone asks you to do a remix for them I don't think you can do anything with Serato and Traktor. But Ableton you can load up the stems and you're gtg. I would think that can be pretty valuable to you in the long run and the versatility will help you a lot.

Actually, the dream program for that would be Virtual DJ.

...ehh..not necessarily so. Both programs have the auto-sync function, it's just a matter of if you want to use it/map that button to something else or not.

Believe me, it is possible to trainwreck with Virtual..

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Biskit View Post
    Same here.

btw, great meeting you Sunday Night!
    Yessir. I was good to finally meet all of you. I def need to get up to Bmore more often to hang.

Quote Originally Posted by dj rsenal View Post
    ...ehh..not necessarily so. Both programs have the auto-sync function, it's just a matter of if you want to use it/map that button to something else or not.

Believe me, it is possible to trainwreck with Virtual..
    My mistake there. Thanks for the correction on that.

Welcome to the party. If you settle on Traktor and need help with anything, let me know.
    Bet...I have a few buddies who use it.I just have to go over and test drive it.

I have Traktor Scratch Pro hooked up to the Numark Mix Deck....its tight...im thinking about getting Traktor Kontrol S4
    JM3 ON MIX CLOUD

Quote Originally Posted by LEONARD REMIX RROY View Post
    I used Serato and it was pretty simple. I don't know much about Tractor outside of it being a dream unit for compujocks who can't mix water with dirt & make mud.

It has trainwreck proof softwear / advanced beat detection and Sync Lock for automatic synchronization of tracks.

Itch has that feature too, I saw a DJ in Afghanistan using that feature on the NS7 unit, dude got on CDJ's with & without Serato and was lost

Tracktor Sync will not work on Disco and funk tracks.....
    JM3 ON MIX CLOUD

Quote Originally Posted by bkny11203 View Post
    when i cut or scratch it feels different. and when i'm just noodling around in the phones over a kick or a snare waiting to cut it in, it feels different.

other than that, i'm good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by drilla View Post
    when i cut or scratch it feels different. and when i'm just noodling around in the phones over a kick or a snare waiting to cut it in, it feels different.

other than that, i'm good with it.
    Then you might need to check your buffer size. The more you move it to the left the least amount of buffer you have.

I can't say that I have experienced any latency issues. And I play in relative mode all the time.

www.myspace.com/djmicfeva
    www.myspace.com/iahmrevolution
    djhousemikefeva.podomatic.com
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "just because you got alot of new music, doesn't mean you can move a crowd"

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Jefferson View Post
    I would suggest Ableton
    Disclaimer: I have been an Ableton Live user since purchasing Version 1.0 back in 2002 or whenever this amazing piece of software first came out, absolutely love it and use it almost daily for many things in the studio.

But I would only highly recommend Ableton Live with warp mode engaged to DJs if when playing on a large-scale sound system someone wants their tracks to be perfectly beat-mixed, but sound a tiny bit muddy, undefined, lacking punch, dynamics, clarity and soundstage (whatever that is). None of wich can be heard at home, in the studio or on headphones. But somehow, it should be easy enough to figure out that when these minute details are magnified 50, 75 or 100 times they do in fact become extremely significant. Even with the warping off, the sound of it passing through its internal mixer (summing) does something to the sound I am not sure I like in Ableton when compared to other programs including Traktor, but as well ProTools or Nuendo, if my aim is to faithfully reproduce the sound of the original 2-track master recording (not quite as noticeable with multitrack or stems).

This opinion after having personally run a fair amount of A/B tests in large venues on high-grade sound systems.

Even in Traktor I always run with 'Pitch Correction' mode off, as all of these DSP wizard tricks do not come for free and somewhere along the way, something will suffer in your audio signal. People can slag me because they hear the pitch drift when I mix but to me, the sound quality during the rest of the song is far more important than a mere passing artifact while doing the mix.

Just as well, trading off sound quality for the convenience of running VST plug-ins over a 2-track master is not something I personally recommend unless the user has taken mastering and advanced engineer courses, but to each his/her own. That truly is a matter of personal choice, and not one that I would say is either good or bad.

It is totally OK with me for anyone not to primarily focus on quality of sound, or as I have heard so many top names say: use the excuse that most systems in clubs sound like sh*t anyway, so why bother, might as well add more excrement to the pile. I don't have any issues with any of it at all.

Because in most cases, it only makes my otherwise fairly unremarkable selections invariably sound that much clearer, punchier, well-defined and with jaw-dropping dynamics when I come in and start my rig afterwards.... relate? And TBH, that's the reason I am totally OK with anyone doing all sorts of DSP stuff with their audio.

This above only being my opinion, based on some personal experiences such as playing alongside a few hundred other DJs at festivals and large clubs around the world.

Just because Mancuso's ideas of simplicity do not just apply to analog, but to anything, really. The simpler your signal chain, and the less in the path, the clearer the signal. This of course starts at the encoding. (but that will be for another edition of our fireside chats, to help pass time during long Winter nights...)

I started thinking that maybe I have to write a book about this.... seriously.
    Last edited by FK; 01-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    MP3 = mediocrity in sound™ <~> making True Audible Calls™ since 2009 || FK on Social Networks -> :: Twitter :: MySpace :: FaceBook ::

You really should think about that seriously, FK.
    (\_/) "Recognizeth an attention
    (O.-)whore when thou doth sees
    (___) it, and then ignoreth its ass" - SuzanneT 1:1

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" -Anais Nin

I really left the Traktor Serato debates alone 3 yrs ago...Get what you can afford and or what wrks for you...most clubs I play in now have serato boxes installed not Traktor...most other djs have Serato so a lot of times I just plug my hard drive in when someone has played in front of me using Serato which is about ohh hmmm 100% of the time, but I liked certain aspects of Traktor so I bought it also. Pick your poison...for someone whos using both...the sound quality is par for both...the scratching is a tad and i mean a tad bit betta with serato...Serato appears to be more stable when utilizing other USB devices...the 4 deck thing with traktor is kool if you do it...I havent used the sync function yet but ive seen peeps use it....Kool. But for practical purposes if you LIVE IN CHICAGO, until the clubs install traktor boxes as well as the serato boxes I'd get down with serato...Now if you are a working dj in the industry for real...spend the doe and get both, the same as havin more than one set of cdjs, more than one speaker config, like back in the day with more than 1 or 2 copies of vinyl cut you love...if you gettin doe, it will pay for it's self. Fuck the debate...This shit is biznezz patna'