Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: For all the golfers.... a question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,519

    For all the golfers.... a question

    In the light of Tiger firing his caddy, certain questions came up for me when hearing the back and forth between some sports writers. What is the function of a caddy besides carrying clubs? What is the importance of the caddy? I mean they were saying this guy was the greatest caddy ever and at that point I knew I did know understand the responsibilities of this particular position.

    Also what are your opinions on the firing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    50,627
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    ... What is the function of a caddy besides carrying clubs? What is the importance of the caddy? I mean they were saying this guy was the greatest caddy ever and at that point I knew I did know understand the responsibilities of this particular position ...
    He carried them clubs like a MFer ... never seen him drop 1, even in the rain
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,519
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    He carried them clubs like a MFer ... never seen him drop 1, even in the rain
    this is what has me scratchin my head....c'mon man you golf whats the really?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    50,627
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    this is what has me scratchin my head....c'mon man you golf whats the really?
    dude - ever heard of Bing or Google? ... or you just need someone to chat w/ ?
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Universal Consciousness
    Posts
    3,110
    I caddy has multiple uses........... A professional caddy studies the course before each tournament and knows the game of golf just as much as the player. He helps make decisions in regards to club type, approach, hidden hazards or trouble spots on the course.

    He's basically the golfers second opinion...................
    Galaxy rays; Powerful!!! =D

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,519
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    dude - ever heard of Bing or Google? ... or you just need someone to chat w/ ?
    You know that gets suggested a lpt (Google is your friend) but those engines cannot replace the description of first hand experience and yes I prefer human interaction or what passes for it.
    If you see Dodge's description that is what I came up with when doing a search but this question remains...."then why ain't that mufuggaah golfing?" can I Google the answer to that?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    50,627
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    You know that gets suggested a lpt (Google is your friend) but those engines cannot replace the description of first hand experience and yes I prefer human interaction or what passes for it.
    If you see Dodge's description that is what I came up with when doing a search but this question remains...."then why ain't that mufuggaah golfing?" can I Google the answer to that?
    Yes you can Google that ...

    ... and damn, I really do need to limit my online interaction with you - I'm starting to feel stupid just replying
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,519
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Yes you can Google that ...

    ... and damn, I really do need to limit my online interaction with you - I'm starting to feel stupid just replying
    Or just cut it out completely.....I'll live

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    50,627
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    Or just cut it out completely.....I'll live
    No, I'll limit it to just heckling ... so you can not just live, but live well
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    68,432
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    In the light of Tiger firing his caddy, certain questions came up for me when hearing the back and forth between some sports writers. What is the function of a caddy besides carrying clubs? What is the importance of the caddy? I mean they were saying this guy was the greatest caddy ever and at that point I knew I did know understand the responsibilities of this particular position.

    Also what are your opinions on the firing?
    A good caddy is also an on-course advisor (almost like a coach). He knows the course and his player's game and can suggest club and shot choices (two heads or sets of eyes are sometimes better than one)......JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

    JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

    2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,519
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    A good caddy is also an on-course advisor (almost like a coach). He knows the course and his player's game and can suggest club and shot choices (two heads or sets of eyes are sometimes better than one)......JMJ
    Thanx for a very comprehensive explanation appreciate that! What was being said makes so much more sense

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,519
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    No, I'll limit it to just heckling ... so you can not just live, but live well
    You're just evil....
    I always thought there was a connection



    Pure evil I tell ya.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,661
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    He carried them clubs like a MFer ... never seen him drop 1, even in the rain
    Oh, he dropped a few. He dropped his putter once. It was hilarious. A notorious Golf Channel blooper. haha!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    dc
    Posts
    39,160
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    No, I'll limit it to just heckling ... so you can not just live, but live well
    lol

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,661
    Think of the most difficult thing you have to do - ever. Now, think of doing it the entire 4 hours with a person who knows you better than your own wife. Who knows all your tendencies, all your cares and concerns. When people attempt to interrupt/heckle/distract/impede you, he steps in and deflects all nonsense. When you question your own choices and are in danger of being paralyzed within analysis, this reassuring presence supports you in right action. When pressure and stress start to dominate your performance, he brings you back to center, reminding you to play to your strengths and to not unravel. There's no second guessing, down to the 1/2 yard - he's minding all that for you. You think you should play a high cut into the swell? He either backs your play or cautions you against it. You think it's a two club wind in your face to carry the water to the green? He KNOWS exactly what to do. When it's all about one putt to win it all - and that putt is the difference between success and abject failure - and missing that putt could cost you $350,000...you have a second set of eyes to read the break, and that set of eyes isn't secretly envious of you or harbors ill judgment of you, or, in private, hates on you behind your back...so you can trust him when he sees that it breaks left just at the end so play it a cup to the right.

    Imagine being able to do your business without having to do any calculation of any kind. Just going on feel...moving with the flow...it's someone else's job to know the score, who is in the lead, how many yards to carry that bunker, to get the phone number of that really bangin' golf groupie that's been in your gallery since the first tee...

    The professional golf caddy is like Robin to Batman. Rochester to Jack Benny. Sometimes Ed Norton to Ralph Cramden or Bud Abbot to Lou Costello. It isn't just a guy carrying a bag. Steve Williams has been the looper (a nickname for a caddy, comes from the loop on a golf bag) of a long line of champions, from Ray Floyd to Greg Norman on up through Tiger Woods. He has been the caddy for the two men who held the #1 spot in the world for their entire reigns. What he does for a golfer with his frickin' aura - just standing there, keeping his mouth shut - is more than a guy could do for himself with 16hrs of daily practice.

    To fire that guy - and do so without notice...shit, that takes some gumption.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    Think of the most difficult thing you have to do - ever. Now, think of doing it the entire 4 hours with a person who knows you better than your own wife. Who knows all your tendencies, all your cares and concerns. When people attempt to interrupt/heckle/distract/impede you, he steps in and deflects all nonsense. When you question your own choices and are in danger of being paralyzed within analysis, this reassuring presence supports you in right action. When pressure and stress start to dominate your performance, he brings you back to center, reminding you to play to your strengths and to not unravel. There's no second guessing, down to the 1/2 yard - he's minding all that for you. You think you should play a high cut into the swell? He either backs your play or cautions you against it. You think it's a two club wind in your face to carry the water to the green? He KNOWS exactly what to do. When it's all about one putt to win it all - and that putt is the difference between success and abject failure - and missing that putt could cost you $350,000...you have a second set of eyes to read the break, and that set of eyes isn't secretly envious of you or harbors ill judgment of you, or, in private, hates on you behind your back...so you can trust him when he sees that it breaks left just at the end so play it a cup to the right.

    Imagine being able to do your business without having to do any calculation of any kind. Just going on feel...moving with the flow...it's someone else's job to know the score, who is in the lead, how many yards to carry that bunker, to get the phone number of that really bangin' golf groupie that's been in your gallery since the first tee...

    The professional golf caddy is like Robin to Batman. Rochester to Jack Benny. Sometimes Ed Norton to Ralph Cramden or Bud Abbot to Lou Costello. It isn't just a guy carrying a bag. Steve Williams has been the looper (a nickname for a caddy, comes from the loop on a golf bag) of a long line of champions, from Ray Floyd to Greg Norman on up through Tiger Woods. He has been the caddy for the two men who held the #1 spot in the world for their entire reigns. What he does for a golfer with his frickin' aura - just standing there, keeping his mouth shut - is more than a guy could do for himself with 16hrs of daily practice.

    To fire that guy - and do so without notice...shit, that takes some gumption.
    Thanx bro.
    SEE Dave Google or Bing wasn't giving me this kinda insight ya rat bastid

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    2,001
    Even for an amateur golfer like myself, having the chance to play with a caddy a couple of times this summer (they are assigned to you in Thailand), I found it to be really helpful to have someone advising you before every shot and taking care of your equipment after it- so that you can focus on the next one. In my case, not knowing the course well, the caddy told me where to aim, what club to use, where the water was (I usually found it anyway). Also can't discount the benefit of having someone stand over you with an umbrella while you're trying to read a putt in 95 degree heat.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    50,627
    Quote Originally Posted by ruse View Post
    ... In my case, not knowing the course well, the caddy told me where to aim, what club to use, where the water was (I usually found it anyway) ...
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,661
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    Thanx bro.
    SEE Dave Google or Bing wasn't giving me this kinda insight ya rat bastid
    You could've gotten that from the web, easily. I just don't miss golf threads. It's the only thing I give two shits about, really.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    You could've gotten that from the web, easily. I just don't miss golf threads. It's the only thing I give two shits about, really.
    Worded like you worded it and put in the perspective you did? Really? Then maybe I DO need to stop talking ta ya'll crunchy bastids...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,661
    Quote Originally Posted by ruse View Post
    Even for an amateur golfer like myself, having the chance to play with a caddy a couple of times this summer (they are assigned to you in Thailand), I found it to be really helpful to have someone advising you before every shot and taking care of your equipment after it- so that you can focus on the next one. In my case, not knowing the course well, the caddy told me where to aim, what club to use, where the water was (I usually found it anyway). Also can't discount the benefit of having someone stand over you with an umbrella while you're trying to read a putt in 95 degree heat.
    Support is worth it's weight in gold. Most folks could put a good swing or roll on the ball if they didn't have stress from being wrong in their mind. It's a big ol' wide world, and it's sometimes hard to decide where to stick it. A guy whose job it is to pick targets says, "Take a line toward that tree branch there." That's like being given a key to mental shackles. Playing with a caddy makes you a better golfer.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    68,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    Support is worth it's weight in gold.
    Literally. With his 10% cut of the winnings, Williams is a multimillionaire. It's way more than carrying a bag......JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

    JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

    2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,661
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Literally. With his 10% cut of the winnings, Williams is a multimillionaire. It's way more than carrying a bag......JMJ
    He's been caddy to both guys who held the world #1 spot the longest: Greg Norman and Tiger Woods. Can you imagine that? Just factoring in proximity, what this guy knows about golf is incredible.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Farnborough, UK
    Posts
    5,908
    Someone commented that Tiger Woods is fast becoming the Michael Jackson of golf...
    Listen to my latest mix at the top of the blog, articles on events, music, advice and basically me mouthing off about topics in house music...
    Blog:
    http://houselogger.blogspot.com/
    Latest mixes:
    https://soundcloud.com/chris-wood
    HEAR ME LIVE EVERY FRIDAY:
    www.dhpradio.com >>>> 2pm GMT / 9am EST

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    68,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    He's been caddy to both guys who held the world #1 spot the longest: Greg Norman and Tiger Woods. Can you imagine that? Just factoring in proximity, what this guy knows about golf is incredible.
    No doubt....JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

    JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

    2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •