Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SHTF - evacuations in NY area

I'm actually in your fair area taking cover. Holed up in Summit, NJ until the storm passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck P View Post
    Chuck, from one Chuck to another, sometimes your thinking can be a little short-sighted bruh, just think on that..............
    Because you don't agree my thinking is short sighted? So you think I am the only one who feels this way? What is so short sighted about wanting the powers that be to wait a little longer before making a decision of that magnitude? One which will impact many people negatively. It may ultimately turn out to be a sound decision but you can't make decisions like this in haste.
    Apparently I gon't know what I'm talking about though so I'll just STFU what the Governor was doing calling a press conference to address this very fact and face reporters making this very same case id beyond me ...I better check and see if they are fb friends

Quote Originally Posted by AK View Post
    I'm actually in your fair area taking cover. Holed up in Summit, NJ until the storm passes.
    NJ is taking this pretty seriously. I'll be over w my raft if you need me. LOL! (that raft pic is still cracking me up)
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck P View Post
    No major city in the US can afford to have another Katrina type incident happen, cities will prepare and institute policies and directives that some may consider over-the-top, but imagine if these measures were not taken and a catastrophic event were to take place where lives were lost and such, not only would it be political suicide, but the backlash, second guessing, and Monday morning quaterbacking would last a lifetime.................
    Chuck

I'm very interested in what seems to be two divergent mindsets here in the US. There seems to be one crowd that is getting prepped (insanely so) for disasters of any kind; political, economic, military, natural. These people are mostly caucasian and take this extremely seriously. Many are first responders and ex military. However some are average citizens (with a healthy sprinkling of borderline lunatics) The other camp doesnt seem to be prepared for any eventuality.

While I dont think that the guns and bomb shelters crowd are on the mark, I also think that those who are unprepared are missing the point as well. Catastrophes happen,. They arent as glamorous as a zombie horde. They are more mundane; like a kitchen fire that makes ones home uninhabitable for a time. Katrina, WMC, and life have taught me to try to be prepared in all areas of my life. I try to pass this along because self reliance is important
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Quote Originally Posted by The Buddy Love Show View Post
    NJ is taking this pretty seriously. I'll be over w my raft if you need me. LOL! (that raft pic is still cracking me up)
    Word, Gilligan!

Associated Press

LATHAM, N.Y. — Hundreds of state National Guard troops deployed for Hurricane Irene began heading to Long Island and the New York City area.
    About 900 National Guard soldiers and airmen are being sent Saturday from across New York to the downstate areas expected to bear the brunt of the hurricane.
    More than 100 National Guard troops from the Albany area headed to Camp Smith north of New York City and to the Farmingdale Armed Forces Reserve Center on Long Island. Guard members will be able to help out with evacuations, cleanup and other duties.
    Gov. Andrew Cuomo is signing an agreement with the federal Department of Defense that sets up a joint command for state National Guard and federal troops deployed in New York for the storm.
    —Copyright 2011 Associated Press

Chuck

I'm very interested in what seems to be two divergent mindsets here in the US. There seems to be one crowd that is getting prepped (insanely so) for disasters of any kind; political, economic, military, natural. These people are mostly caucasian and take this extremely seriously. Many are first responders and ex military. However some are average citizens (with a healthy sprinkling of borderline lunatics) The other camp doesnt seem to be prepared for any eventuality.

While I dont think that the guns and bomb shelters crowd are on the mark, I also think that those who are unprepared are missing the point as well. Catastrophes happen,. They arent as glamorous as a zombie horde. They are more mundane; like a kitchen fire that makes ones home uninhabitable for a time. Katrina, WMC, and life have taught me to try to be prepared in all areas of my life. I try to pass this along because self reliance is important
    dude, thanks for raising my awareness about preparedness, chuck makes a point, but, if you wrong on that point you pay a heavy price, prudence dictates preparedness, period.

Chuck

Wisdom.

Speaking of preparedness, I hope you guys were smart enough to go get some cash. No electricity, no ATM!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Stewart View Post
    Speaking of preparedness, I hope you guys were smart enough to go get some cash. No electricity, no ATM!
    I got my kit together earlier today.You never know how long we will be without power.Cash,water,soup,wig,and ipod nano fully charged.
    As I proceed to civilize the uncivilized
    Word to wisdom from the groove to the wise
    I guess im the verbalizer for the fact im moving blackwards
    This asiatic blackman is a dog spelled backwards

Brand Nubian dropping science.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Hyman Cherry View Post
    wig.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_ is_ niccce View Post
    Dont worry folks, Monday morning is going to be like nothing happened
    I don't know about that. I read a news flash that MTA might be shut until Monday afternoon! Not good for those who have "f*** that, get yo a** to work" bosses!
    "You can master any situation if you can master yourself."
    --TD Jakes

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I don't know about that. I read a news flash that MTA might be shut until Monday afternoon! Not good for those who have "f*** that, get yo a** to work" bosses!
    Was said earlier that conductors were walking through LIRR trains saying Tuesday

I'm getting paid to ride through the storm and brought plenty of seltzer water and food. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    Because you don't agree my thinking is short sighted? So you think I am the only one who feels this way? What is so short sighted about wanting the powers that be to wait a little longer before making a decision of that magnitude? One which will impact many people negatively. It may ultimately turn out to be a sound decision but you can't make decisions like this in haste.
    Apparently I gon't know what I'm talking about though so I'll just STFU what the Governor was doing calling a press conference to address this very fact and face reporters making this very same case id beyond me ...I better check and see if they are fb friends
    I believe they said they needed 8 hours to shut the system down.

Boston has also shut down its transit system

Hey neighbor,
    I'm in the next town over (Union). I hope all is well.
    Stay safe!

I hit a big ass patch of standing water coming off of I-80.. car hydroplaned and turned 90 degrees..Slammed into a guardrail and totally spun out of control....Lucky for me there were no cars close behind me or in a lane beside me..Hollered like nobody's business as I spun out of control..To my surprise no body damage..This was about 2hours ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Timmy Richardson View Post
    I believe they said they needed 8 hours to shut the system down.
    They made the announcement 22 hours before the shut down and on a tangent why is it going to take so much longer to start back up? (Not rhetorical and acknowledging in advance that there may be a perfectly legitimate reason)
    Last edited by DaBownca; 08-27-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Chuck, you know you're my boy for life, but I'm not co-signin' ya with this one. If they've been forcasting a huge hurricane for about a week now, they can't wait until the day of to get the latest reports for a final decision on whether to shut down or not. They made the right decision on the facts they had.

Glad you're ok, bruh! @ Rich

Please stay safe people. I hope it does not hit hard!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Timmy Richardson View Post
    Boston has also shut down its transit system
    any info as to when they made that intention evident and then when implemented? I think Md too shut down or will at 9 pm or so and that was announced around 12pm I think

Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    Wouldn't shut system down but would cause delays. We made it through Gloria just fine last year and Tropical storms before that .....the pussifiacation of NY and by extension America continues
    Also we are hours away from what was supposed to be the brunt of the storm and it seems to be getting weaker and weaker ...maybe, unlike the powers that be in NY, they decided to actually do research and track the storm and that is why they are referring to it in past tense. Unless the stories were about areas already hit.
    Is it not better to prepare for the worst Than not?
    What if they don't shut it down it hits hard and people loose lives?
    I know what I would prefer

Quote Originally Posted by djLesCole View Post
    Chuck, you know you're my boy for life, but I'm not co-signin' ya with this one. If they've been forcasting a huge hurricane for about a week now, they can't wait until the day of to get the latest reports for a final decision on whether to shut down or not. They made the right decision on the facts they had.
    Why does it even matter at this point? Please Les and everybody else that wishes to address my opinion on the transit shut down refer to post #32