Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Sonic stocking stuffers aka three new mixes from D J 1 3 8

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,495

    Sonic stocking stuffers aka three new mixes from D J 1 3 8

    these latest mixes put me at 19 new mixes for 2011. My goal was simply do one a month, so I think I did OK. You guys have a great holiday.

    **Click to stream - right click/control click to download**


    DJ JULIAN BEVAN - STREET SWEEPER

    01 Hieroglyphics - No Nuts
    one of my favorite tracks of their relatively slept-on 1998 debut album. Del can deliver some solid shit when he's not trying too hard to be weird.
    02 Epidemic feat Kylla Bus - Wreck Shop
    Epidemic are Hex One & Tek-Nition, an MC duo from Hollywood Florida. They definitely seem descended from the Big L/Big Pun school of lyrics, where nobody ever catches a breath. This is from their 2011 album "Illin' Spree".
    03 Redman feat K-Solo - It's Like That (My Big Brother)
    I forgot how much I love this song. This was a huge record in NY clubs in 1996. Still banging'
    04 Just Ice - Cold Getting' Dumb
    Hearing the Redman joint compelled me to pull out the original track where the sample came from, the first track on Just Ice's 1986 debut album. His flow was ahead of his time IMO.
    05 Pete Rock & Smif n Wessun feat Top Dog & Jahdan Blakkamore - This One
    You will remember Jahdan Blakkamore as the guy speaking over the chorus of Smif N Wessun's "Sound Bwoy Burial". Top Dog , you may recall, is an original member of OGC. This track is from Pete Rock's 2011 "Monumental" album. The whole thing is pretty tight but this one stood out to me just cuz I like old dub.
    06 DJ Frass - Hot Patty Riddim
    I've been pretty out of the loop with dancehall ever since I stopped playing out on the regular, but this is one of the better 2011 riddims
    07 Twin of Twins - Cigarette Murder
    A wicked Tony Matterhorn diss record that has fueled their feud with the deejay throughout 2011. I believe they are scheduled to settle this on stage next week at the annual Sting Clash in JA. Now THAT is something I'd like to see. Tony Matterhorn's RESPONSE is pretty good too.
    08 Tanto Black - Cow Foot Gal
    almost every song on this riddim is a diss record, this one for female deejay Macka Diamond. I, for one, just love that "cow foot" is even an insult. She responded with a track on a much weaker riddim that kinda went nowhere. PEEP IT
    09 Capleton - Tour (DJ138 blend)
    Ran the old acapella over the hot patty riddim just so I could transition back in to Hip Hop. Tricks of the trade, nah mean?
    10 A Tribe Called Quest - Rap Promoter
    Having made mixtapes for the last 25 years or so, I'm running out of Quest songs, big time. So it's on to the random album cuts for me. The drums are pitched down from THIS TRACK by The New Birth.
    11 Big K.R.I.T. - Another Naive Individual Glorifying Greed & Encouraging Racism
    I've been warming up to Big K.R.I.T. for the last year or so. He's definitely from that T.I.-type southern rapper camp, but he seems to be branching out with some more meaning hidden in his lyrics and a real sense of style.
    12 Outkast feat Slick Rick - Da Art of Storytellin'
    This was one of those records I wasn't that impressed with when it came out, but has grown on me over the years. There's just so much crap out there these days that anything from Outkast sounds amazing by comparison.
    13 Phonte - Sendin' My Love
    Little Brother's best MC stepped out on his own in 2011 and released a very solid solo album, "Charity Starts At Home". Well worth picking up. Also check for his work with Foreign Exchange and R&B shit under the name Zo & Tiggalo.
    14 Danny Brown - EWNESW
    Danny Brown is a Detroit MC known for his weird, Fatlip-like nasal flow, though he flips it a bit darker on this particular track. He was courted by G-Unit for a while but they couldn't deal with his skinny jeans, so he ended up on A-Trak/Nick Catchdub's label Fool's Gold. This is from 2011.
    15 Kool G Rap - ill street blues (DJ138 blend)
    Ran the acapella over the Keith Murray Instrumental for shits n giggles.
    16 Keith Murray - Get Lifted
    I still have a soft spot for this track. Ah memories...
    17 Biggie Smalls, Jay-Z, Nas - The Greatest
    some bootleg shit that first appeared on DJ Lennox's "Live Big" mixtape around 2008 (?). Nice use of older acapellas and a smooth blending of the three MCs IMO.
    18 Gang Starr - Ex Girl To Next Girl (DJ138 phone tap blend)
    Ran the acapella over the Firm's "Phone Tap" instrumental - one of my favorite Hip Hop beats of all time, and one of Dre's best.
    19 Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
    I never get sick of this. Ever. I threw in an old recording of KRS from 1987, on Dr Dre's show on WBAU (Adelphi Universty Radio), bigging up the release of the album. Here's a link to that entire WBAU MIXTAPE if you're interested
    20 Stephen Marley feat Damian Marley & Buju Banton - Jah Army
    One of the biggest reggae tracks of 2011, and well deserving too. Buju kills it. They recycled the old Sly n Robbie "Penitentiary" riddim too, written for Black Uhuru in 1981.
    21 Pressure - It Haffi Guh Suh
    Pressure's full name is Pressure Buss Pipe. What's not to love? He's from St Thomas, and coming a bit harder on this Jah Army riddim then most of his other work.
    22 Ward 21 - Take A Wif
    Ward 21, named for the psycho ward in Kingston, have been delivering hits for over 10 years now. They came up through King Jammy's Sound System in the 90s.
    23 Frankie Paul - Cassandra
    This cover of the 1973 Dennis Brown classic has always been one my all time favorite dancehall tunes. It came out on Steely & Cleevie's Sleng Teng riddim around 1989. Never leaves my crates.
    24 Gregory Peck - Oversized Mampie
    Is there any other genre of music that has written SO MANY songs about fat chicks? Seriously. Must be all that bread fruit or something.
    25 Reggie Stepper - Drum Pan Sound
    Another hit from 1990 on the Stalag Riddim, which was everywhere back in those days. This was out of print for years for some weird reason. I used to have to play the LP after I lost my 7".
    26 Mad Cobra - Shot ATalk
    A classic Cobra track on Steely & Clevie's Little Giggy riddim, also known as the Mama riddim, made popular by Buju's "Batty Rider", Simpleton's "Coca Cola Shape", among others. I still can't figure out who did it first.
    27 Assassin - How Mi Feel
    For my money, Spragga Benz's protege Assassin is one of the best deejays to appear in the last decade. He just wrecks it every time. This track is no exception. DJ Frass made the riddim.
    28 Assassin - Run Di Place
    Another wicked tune, this one by the Boardhouse crew, who have been down with Assassin since about 2007.
    29 Bounty Killa - Ready Fi Dem
    Bounty coming with his usual brutal delivery. "Dem might take mi Range but deem cyan take mi honor!"
    30 Elephant Man - Bwoy
    I got pretty burnt out on Elephant Man when he blew the fuck up from the whole "Willie Bounce" thing in 2006. He seemed like he was becoming the Will Smith of Dancehall. But he can still keep it real when he needs to. "No badness! gwan back a ya bed boy!" LOL
    31 Bugle - Beg Nor Buy
    Bugle is an Elephant Man protege from Portland. I've never paid much attention to him, but this is kinda wicked. This is the Circle Dem riddim by CD Master Sound/Inna Mi House crew.
    32 Teflon - System
    Teflon is a deejay from St Mary's parish, heavy on the rasta themes, like this track here indicting the system y'all.
    33 Kendrick Lamar - Blow My High (Members Only)
    Back to some new Hip Hop. Kendrick Lamar is from Compton, and part of the self-titled "Black Hippy Collective". His 2011LP "Section 80" is pretty impressive. He's definitely trying to do something a little different.
    34 Freddie Gibbs - National Anthem (Fuck The World)
    Repping Gary Indiana to the fullest. Freddie made his name online, working the mixtape blogs like a pro. In 2009 he released an unparalleled 80-SONG mixtape for free. This is from his 2010 "str8 Killa" EP. The video for this is like an out takes from Spike Lee's Clockers
    35 Cassie Veggies feat Nero - 30,000
    From his 2011 "Sleeping In Class" LP, which shows some real promise IMO. He's from Englewood and down with cats like Odd Future and Dom Kennedy.
    36 Big K.R.I.T. - Amtrak
    Another track from his 2011 mixtape Return Of 4Eva. I'm telling you this dude is on some shit.
    37 Reflection Eternal feat Mos Def & Mr Man - Fortified Live
    Mos Def & Talib Kweli fresh out the box in 1997. Glad to say this shit still holds up. The sample is from the opening bars of this record
    38 9th Wonder feat Holly Weerd & Thee Tom Hardy - Your Smile
    A nice track from 9th Wonder's 2011 LP "The Wonder Years". Holly Weerd are four MCs from Atalanta who recently toured with Diplo. Thee Tom Hardy is a white boy from North Carolina who's been releasing mixtapes since 2009. Not too shabby either.
    39 Damian Marley - Wanted (just ain't the same)
    Junior Gong flips Dr Dre's "The Watcher" and comes off almost like a regular Hip Hop MC. Nice tune.
    40 Little Brother feat Darien Brockington - Two Step Blues
    From Little Brother's 2010 "Left Back" album. Despite having some weird off-time high-hat sample throughout, it still kinda hot. Produced by Zo of Zo & Tiggalo.

    2 more mixes incoming as soon as I can copy/paste...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,495

    DJ JULIAN BEVAN - SOUND AND VISION

    01 Candi Staton - Revolution
    In 2009 Ashley Beedle & Darren Morris released this album called "Mavis!" - a compilation of songs inspired by Mavis Staples. This is my favorite track from that record. Slow and funky.
    02 Prince - When Eye Lay My Hands On U
    Nothing pleases me more than discovering an awesome Prince song that I have never heard. This is just that, from his 2004 album "The Chocolate Invasion" - a collection of singles that appeared on the NPG site from 2001-2004. I like how he name drops Santana's "Europa" in the last verse too.
    03 The Dynamics - Move On Up
    The Dynamics are a French roots reggae band well known for covers of soul, funk, and disco tunes. This is one of my favorites of theirs.
    04 Nina Simone - Baltimore
    Of course Nina Simone was recording reggae covers in 1978. She's the coolest woman who ever lived. From her 1978 album on CTI of the same name. This is the original and this is the Tamlins cover that was my first exposure to this track
    05 Seu George & Almaz - Cirandar
    You will remember Seu George as the cool dude playing acoustic covers of Bowie songs in "The Aquatic Life of Steve Zisou". This is from their self-titled 2010 album. Check out his Roy Ayers cover too
    06 D'angelo - Brown Sugar (Heartbreak remix)
    Heartbreak Soundsystem are two DJs from Berlin, Troo Love and Charlie Loud. They hooked up this 2010 remix with a brand new groove and live instrumentation, while still paying respect to the original. Not bad not bad.
    07 Aaliyah - If Your Girl Only Knew
    One of my favorite Aaliyah tracks, and one of Timbaland's first pieces of wax ever ("One In A Million" was the B-Side to the single).
    08 Yesterday's New Quintet - Sunrays
    A dope jazzy instrumental from Madlib's side group. This appeared on the 2001 EP "Elle's Theme" on Stones Throw.
    09 Silk - I Can't Stop Turning You On
    Some schmoove ass shit from their one and only 1979 album "Midnight Dancer" on Philly International. Somebody needs to write music like this again some day.
    10 Chaka Khan - Papilion (hot butterfly)
    Props to PHC for posting that thread about this a few weeks back. It's been in constant rotation ever since. The song is too damn short!
    11 Hocus Pocus feat Alice Russell- Beautiful Losers
    Hocus Pocus are a jazz/rap outfit from Nantes, France who've been making records since the late 90s. The song, from their 2010 album, "16 Pieces". is built around a sample of Graham Central Station's "People" (1974). Alice Russel is a badass British soul singer not to be slept on.
    12 DJ Deckstream feat Mos Def - Life Is Good
    DJ Deckstream is a Japanese Hip Hop producer who's been making tracks since 2007. This collabo with Mos Def came out in 2010.
    13 Al Green - Truth N Time
    The title track from the good reverend's last straight soul album in 1978, before he went heavy in to the gospel. I've had this record laying around for years and only recently gave it a real listen.
    14 Don Blackman - Heart's Desire
    I did a quick edit to extend the instrumental workouts in this track. FRom his 1982 self titled album, the cover of which will make you glad those beaded corn rows were just a passing phase.
    15 Q-tip - Even If It Is So
    A very solid track from Mr Tip from his tragically unreleased 2001 "Kamal The Abstract" LP, which finally saw the light of day almost 10 years later. When he tries, Q-Tip can write lyrics that dabble in deepness while still making a party record. A rare talent in Hip Hop.
    16 9th Wonder feat Erykah Badu & Rhapsody - 20 Feet Tall
    Another cut from 9th Wonder's 2010 album "The Wonder Years". Ms. Badu sounds great as always. Rhapsody is a 9th Wonder protege from North Carolina. She released her first mixtape "Return of the B-Girl" in 2010.
    17 Richard E & Annabel - My Mistake
    This weird, textured, Jazzy bossa beat seemed like the perfect ending to the mix. This came out in 2010, on the Further Out label, with several groovy remixes in tow.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,495

    DJ JULIAN BEVAN - MUSICAL DIVERSIONS

    01 Pharaoh Sanders - Africa (edit)
    I just recently came across this Pharaoh cut from the 1987 album of the same name. The great Idris Muhammad on drums. I was tempted to throw some fatter drums under it, but no, it's perfect as is. There's an intro part that I completely edited out.
    02 Mr Raoul K - A Guinean Village
    Mancuso mentioned this guy in one of his musical gem threads and I started digging. This track stood out for me. Timmy Regisford could do some shit with this, for sure.
    03 Discodeine - Falkenberg (Pilooski edit)
    Discodeine is French DJ/Producer duo Pilooski and Pentile. They are best known as being part of the D-I-R-T-Y crew, who've been making disco edits for over a decade. This funky steel drum workout came out earlier this year.
    04 Bunny Mack - Let Me Love You
    Somehow I never put this on a mix in all my years. The 1980 uber hit of Sierra Leone's biggest disco star.
    05 Owiny Sigoma Band - Wires
    Another Mancuso find! Theo Parish did a great remix of this, but I still prefer the original. Plus, it goes so well with the Bunny Mack!
    06 Idjut Boys - Girth Soup (subway baby edit)
    This is an early Idjut Boys record, one side of a shared 12" with DJ Harvey from 1996 on Noid Recordings. Harvey's side has a damn good edit of Doc Severinsen, of all people.
    07 Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgettin (LNTG rework)
    A very respectful nu-disco fattening up by Australian DJ Carmelo Bianchetti.
    08 Sister Sledge - Living In Ecstasy (Dimitri meets Norinton remix)
    I'm a huge fan of Dimitri's edits. He knows how to hook shit up for DJs. Starting out with acapellas we can mix with, etc. If only all remixers were so giving! I mixed this with the Norington remix cuz I like that version too.
    09 Bloody Tadi - Had You Fallin
    Bloody Tadi is a Slovenian DJ and producer who makes music that (I think) they call "tech funk". Which sounds kind of like Hip Hop meets dustup and electro and techno. Or like slowed down breakbeat. Or something like that. Anyway, this has a weird swing to it that I like.
    10 Marianne Faithful - Why D'ya Do It
    Probably the best song about being cheated on ever written. And the whole thing sounds so Grace Jones it's a wonder she never covered it herself, considering they were label mates at the time.
    11 Rhythm Odyssey - Love Potion
    Rhythm Odyssey is a pseudonym for Chicken Lips aka UK institution Dean Meredith. The keyboards sound very Traxx to me, and this bassline is just dirty as fuck.
    12 Mop Mop - Ash (curv re-edit)
    Mop Mop is Berlin-based DJ Andrea Benini. This has a goofy vocal thing going over a subtle swingy hook. Jazzy and disco-y and something to keep shit moving while you figure out what the next record should be.
    13 Marvin Gaye - Give It Up (Collen & Webb reggae mix)
    I think Collen & Webb are Swedish dudes down with the GAMM crew. If you told me you could mix roots reggae, Marvin Gaye, and The Jungle Brothers in one song I would have called bullshit, but this is actually pretty great.
    14 Grace Jones - Love You To Life (Mall & Digital Mystikz remix)
    Weird dubsteppy remix of the third single from her 2010 "Hurricane" LP. Check out Grace on The Tonight Show in the 1980s
    15 The Police - Driven To Tears
    It's hard to find tracks that go with that 70/140bpm half-time/double-time stuff. But there's always the Police, who did a lot of that way before it was cool. This track is a prime example.
    16 Brassroots - Good Life
    New Orleans brass band treatment of "Good Life". Yes, THAT Good Life. Brassroots are an 8-piece East London brass band keeping the faith for the Big Easy over there. more power to 'em.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,495

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    19,855
    Quote Originally Posted by d j 1 3 8 View Post

    lol!!

    Great stuff! Thank you!!
    www.myspace.com/templedynasty
    www.myspace.com/brazenmuse
    www.myspace.com/feliciatemple
    www.myspace.com/robdanoizetemple
    http://www.youtube.com/feliciatemple
    Louie "Lou" Gorbea:
    http://www.podomatic.com/profile/lgorbea and http://lougorbea.com/
    Mark Mendoza (280 West): markmendozamixes.blogspot.com
    "I'd rather have the kind of clear conscience that comes from doing what's right than the kind that comes from ignoring what's wrong." Me...8/13/07

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazenMuse View Post
    lol!!

    Great stuff! Thank you!!
    JB your mixes are always different and take us on a hjourney across a number of musical genres. thanks for thes and I have downloaded all of the other from this year. Great job man
    If a person is too stupid to be a DJ, perhaps they are also too stupid to know that he was too stupid to be a DJ that is, his stupidity protected him from an awareness of his own stupidity.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    dc
    Posts
    39,763
    Honestly, never listened to your stuff, gonna give some run this week though

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Chicagoing
    Posts
    11,607
    You always hip me to new hip-hop, dub, or soul stuff I've never heard of before in your mixes. For that, I thank you.
    I bet you argue with yourself just to make a point. -- bkny11203
    I only debate my equals, all others I teach. -- John Henrik Clarke
    Frustration leads to long-term memory -- anonymous
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/185004588c9e04
    djmarbll.podomatic.com
    http://www.mixcloud.com/eric-johnson7/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,495
    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    JB your mixes are always different and take us on a hjourney across a number of musical genres. thanks for thes and I have downloaded all of the other from this year. Great job man
    thanks man. much appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    Honestly, never listened to your stuff, gonna give some run this week though
    cool. hope you enjoy.

    Quote Originally Posted by djmarbll View Post
    You always hip me to new hip-hop, dub, or soul stuff I've never heard of before in your mixes. For that, I thank you.
    Thanks man. If anyone knows, I know that YOU know

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,495

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,416
    excellent! thanks for posting these up....going on my ipod now!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,234
    These are getting me through a painful week of editing. And the descriptions are great, too. Thanks!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    46,122
    dope !
    The House of Soul - Sammy Rock and Dj Housecat Podcast Page
    http://souloasis.cyberjamz.com/
    Twitter http://bit.ly/5Yfzle
    FB - Cyberjamz Fan Pagehttp://bit.ly/4z3wni
    Cyberjamz Radio Show every Monday from 9am - 2pm est
    http://cyberjamz.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    46,122
    Im fortunate enuff to have experianced 138 Live at a Bedford Hills Party we once did and his set was off the chain !!


    Still didnt get that track Id Reggae housey joint he dropped... lol
    The House of Soul - Sammy Rock and Dj Housecat Podcast Page
    http://souloasis.cyberjamz.com/
    Twitter http://bit.ly/5Yfzle
    FB - Cyberjamz Fan Pagehttp://bit.ly/4z3wni
    Cyberjamz Radio Show every Monday from 9am - 2pm est
    http://cyberjamz.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    10,629
    Feeling the shit out of that Big K.R.I.T, ill song.

    Never, ever, ever get tired of Art of Storytellin'. Probably one of my favorite verses in hip-hop:

    Now suzy skrew had a partna named sasha (sasha), thumper (thumper)
    I remember her number like the summer
    When her and suzy yeah they threw a slumber - - party
    But you can not call it that cause it was slummer
    Well it was more like spend the night
    Three in the morning yawnin dancin under street lights
    We chillin like a villain and a nigga feelin right
    In the middle of the ghetto on the curb, but in spite
    All of the bullshit we on our back starin at the stars above
    (aww man) talkin bout what we gonna be when we grow up
    I said what you wanna be, she said, "alive" (hmm)
    It made me think for a minute, then looked in her eyes
    I coulda died, time went on, I got grown
    Rhyme got strong, mind got blown, I came back home
    To find lil sasha was gone
    Her mamma said she with a nigga that be treatin her wrong
    I kept on singin my song and hopin at a show
    That I would one day see her standin in the front row
    But two weeks later she got found in the back of a school
    With a needle in her arm, baby two months due, sasha thumper"
    Nice mix, appreciate it.
    <cfif isDefined('session.user.sense') and #session.user.sense# eq '0'>
    <cfset option = delete>
    </cfif>

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,495

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Your mum's
    Posts
    38,756
    Which one is house music?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by D J 1 3 8 View Post
    3 mixes? dunno where to start?
    What's ur personal best?
    did you check out Skrilly's new vid? (:
    Signature is blocked

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    the planet
    Posts
    7,153
    Quote Originally Posted by D J 1 3 8 View Post
    these latest mixes put me at 19 new mixes for 2011. My goal was simply do one a month, so I think I did OK. You guys have a great holiday.

    **Click to stream - right click/control click to download**


    DJ JULIAN BEVAN - STREET SWEEPER

    01 Hieroglyphics - No Nuts
    one of my favorite tracks of their relatively slept-on 1998 debut album. Del can deliver some solid shit when he's not trying too hard to be weird.
    02 Epidemic feat Kylla Bus - Wreck Shop
    Epidemic are Hex One & Tek-Nition, an MC duo from Hollywood Florida. They definitely seem descended from the Big L/Big Pun school of lyrics, where nobody ever catches a breath. This is from their 2011 album "Illin' Spree".
    03 Redman feat K-Solo - It's Like That (My Big Brother)
    I forgot how much I love this song. This was a huge record in NY clubs in 1996. Still banging'
    04 Just Ice - Cold Getting' Dumb
    Hearing the Redman joint compelled me to pull out the original track where the sample came from, the first track on Just Ice's 1986 debut album. His flow was ahead of his time IMO.
    05 Pete Rock & Smif n Wessun feat Top Dog & Jahdan Blakkamore - This One
    You will remember Jahdan Blakkamore as the guy speaking over the chorus of Smif N Wessun's "Sound Bwoy Burial". Top Dog , you may recall, is an original member of OGC. This track is from Pete Rock's 2011 "Monumental" album. The whole thing is pretty tight but this one stood out to me just cuz I like old dub.
    06 DJ Frass - Hot Patty Riddim
    I've been pretty out of the loop with dancehall ever since I stopped playing out on the regular, but this is one of the better 2011 riddims
    07 Twin of Twins - Cigarette Murder
    A wicked Tony Matterhorn diss record that has fueled their feud with the deejay throughout 2011. I believe they are scheduled to settle this on stage next week at the annual Sting Clash in JA. Now THAT is something I'd like to see. Tony Matterhorn's RESPONSE is pretty good too.
    08 Tanto Black - Cow Foot Gal
    almost every song on this riddim is a diss record, this one for female deejay Macka Diamond. I, for one, just love that "cow foot" is even an insult. She responded with a track on a much weaker riddim that kinda went nowhere. PEEP IT
    09 Capleton - Tour (DJ138 blend)
    Ran the old acapella over the hot patty riddim just so I could transition back in to Hip Hop. Tricks of the trade, nah mean?
    10 A Tribe Called Quest - Rap Promoter
    Having made mixtapes for the last 25 years or so, I'm running out of Quest songs, big time. So it's on to the random album cuts for me. The drums are pitched down from THIS TRACK by The New Birth.
    11 Big K.R.I.T. - Another Naive Individual Glorifying Greed & Encouraging Racism
    I've been warming up to Big K.R.I.T. for the last year or so. He's definitely from that T.I.-type southern rapper camp, but he seems to be branching out with some more meaning hidden in his lyrics and a real sense of style.
    12 Outkast feat Slick Rick - Da Art of Storytellin'
    This was one of those records I wasn't that impressed with when it came out, but has grown on me over the years. There's just so much crap out there these days that anything from Outkast sounds amazing by comparison.
    13 Phonte - Sendin' My Love
    Little Brother's best MC stepped out on his own in 2011 and released a very solid solo album, "Charity Starts At Home". Well worth picking up. Also check for his work with Foreign Exchange and R&B shit under the name Zo & Tiggalo.
    14 Danny Brown - EWNESW
    Danny Brown is a Detroit MC known for his weird, Fatlip-like nasal flow, though he flips it a bit darker on this particular track. He was courted by G-Unit for a while but they couldn't deal with his skinny jeans, so he ended up on A-Trak/Nick Catchdub's label Fool's Gold. This is from 2011.
    15 Kool G Rap - ill street blues (DJ138 blend)
    Ran the acapella over the Keith Murray Instrumental for shits n giggles.
    16 Keith Murray - Get Lifted
    I still have a soft spot for this track. Ah memories...
    17 Biggie Smalls, Jay-Z, Nas - The Greatest
    some bootleg shit that first appeared on DJ Lennox's "Live Big" mixtape around 2008 (?). Nice use of older acapellas and a smooth blending of the three MCs IMO.
    18 Gang Starr - Ex Girl To Next Girl (DJ138 phone tap blend)
    Ran the acapella over the Firm's "Phone Tap" instrumental - one of my favorite Hip Hop beats of all time, and one of Dre's best.
    19 Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
    I never get sick of this. Ever. I threw in an old recording of KRS from 1987, on Dr Dre's show on WBAU (Adelphi Universty Radio), bigging up the release of the album. Here's a link to that entire WBAU MIXTAPE if you're interested
    20 Stephen Marley feat Damian Marley & Buju Banton - Jah Army
    One of the biggest reggae tracks of 2011, and well deserving too. Buju kills it. They recycled the old Sly n Robbie "Penitentiary" riddim too, written for Black Uhuru in 1981.
    21 Pressure - It Haffi Guh Suh
    Pressure's full name is Pressure Buss Pipe. What's not to love? He's from St Thomas, and coming a bit harder on this Jah Army riddim then most of his other work.
    22 Ward 21 - Take A Wif
    Ward 21, named for the psycho ward in Kingston, have been delivering hits for over 10 years now. They came up through King Jammy's Sound System in the 90s.
    23 Frankie Paul - Cassandra
    This cover of the 1973 Dennis Brown classic has always been one my all time favorite dancehall tunes. It came out on Steely & Cleevie's Sleng Teng riddim around 1989. Never leaves my crates.
    24 Gregory Peck - Oversized Mampie
    Is there any other genre of music that has written SO MANY songs about fat chicks? Seriously. Must be all that bread fruit or something.
    25 Reggie Stepper - Drum Pan Sound
    Another hit from 1990 on the Stalag Riddim, which was everywhere back in those days. This was out of print for years for some weird reason. I used to have to play the LP after I lost my 7".
    26 Mad Cobra - Shot ATalk
    A classic Cobra track on Steely & Clevie's Little Giggy riddim, also known as the Mama riddim, made popular by Buju's "Batty Rider", Simpleton's "Coca Cola Shape", among others. I still can't figure out who did it first.
    27 Assassin - How Mi Feel
    For my money, Spragga Benz's protege Assassin is one of the best deejays to appear in the last decade. He just wrecks it every time. This track is no exception. DJ Frass made the riddim.
    28 Assassin - Run Di Place
    Another wicked tune, this one by the Boardhouse crew, who have been down with Assassin since about 2007.
    29 Bounty Killa - Ready Fi Dem
    Bounty coming with his usual brutal delivery. "Dem might take mi Range but deem cyan take mi honor!"
    30 Elephant Man - Bwoy
    I got pretty burnt out on Elephant Man when he blew the fuck up from the whole "Willie Bounce" thing in 2006. He seemed like he was becoming the Will Smith of Dancehall. But he can still keep it real when he needs to. "No badness! gwan back a ya bed boy!" LOL
    31 Bugle - Beg Nor Buy
    Bugle is an Elephant Man protege from Portland. I've never paid much attention to him, but this is kinda wicked. This is the Circle Dem riddim by CD Master Sound/Inna Mi House crew.
    32 Teflon - System
    Teflon is a deejay from St Mary's parish, heavy on the rasta themes, like this track here indicting the system y'all.
    33 Kendrick Lamar - Blow My High (Members Only)
    Back to some new Hip Hop. Kendrick Lamar is from Compton, and part of the self-titled "Black Hippy Collective". His 2011LP "Section 80" is pretty impressive. He's definitely trying to do something a little different.
    34 Freddie Gibbs - National Anthem (Fuck The World)
    Repping Gary Indiana to the fullest. Freddie made his name online, working the mixtape blogs like a pro. In 2009 he released an unparalleled 80-SONG mixtape for free. This is from his 2010 "str8 Killa" EP. The video for this is like an out takes from Spike Lee's Clockers
    35 Cassie Veggies feat Nero - 30,000
    From his 2011 "Sleeping In Class" LP, which shows some real promise IMO. He's from Englewood and down with cats like Odd Future and Dom Kennedy.
    36 Big K.R.I.T. - Amtrak
    Another track from his 2011 mixtape Return Of 4Eva. I'm telling you this dude is on some shit.
    37 Reflection Eternal feat Mos Def & Mr Man - Fortified Live
    Mos Def & Talib Kweli fresh out the box in 1997. Glad to say this shit still holds up. The sample is from the opening bars of this record
    38 9th Wonder feat Holly Weerd & Thee Tom Hardy - Your Smile
    A nice track from 9th Wonder's 2011 LP "The Wonder Years". Holly Weerd are four MCs from Atalanta who recently toured with Diplo. Thee Tom Hardy is a white boy from North Carolina who's been releasing mixtapes since 2009. Not too shabby either.
    39 Damian Marley - Wanted (just ain't the same)
    Junior Gong flips Dr Dre's "The Watcher" and comes off almost like a regular Hip Hop MC. Nice tune.
    40 Little Brother feat Darien Brockington - Two Step Blues
    From Little Brother's 2010 "Left Back" album. Despite having some weird off-time high-hat sample throughout, it still kinda hot. Produced by Zo of Zo & Tiggalo.

    2 more mixes incoming as soon as I can copy/paste...

    feelin this one today. thanks.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    the planet
    Posts
    7,153
    Quote Originally Posted by drilla View Post
    feelin this one today. thanks.
    thank you for bringing in the vocal for the keith murray joint... teased me and then pleased me...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •