Thread: iPad

iPad

this shit grew on me and i can't believe what a valuable tool this has become for me professionally and personally over the course of the last year. i use it for almost everything i used to do on my laptop (except for the heavy stuff), and rarely do much of anything on my smarthphone anymore other than to make a call or send a text message, both of which i can do on my iPad. i think this gadget should be in the hands of every serious, struggling, or underprivileged student, and now with apple's plan to get into the textbook market i can only see good things to come of this for the future of education. i can't believe i just wrote this about an apple product. i think i am starting to slowly transform into a fan boy. the only thing i need now is to grow out a beard, wear a scarf, and drink lattes at starbucks. wait...wat?

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    this shit grew on me and i can't believe what a valuable tool this has become for me professionally and personally over the course of the last year. i use it for almost everything i used to do on my laptop (except for the heavy stuff), and rarely do much of anything on my smarthphone anymore other than to make a call or send a text message, both of which i can do on my iPad. i think this gadget should be in the hands of every serious, struggling, or underprivileged student, and now with apple's plan to get into the textbook market i can only see good things to come of this for the future of education. i can't believe i just wrote this about an apple product. i think i am starting to slowly transform into a fan boy. the only thing i need now is to grow out a beard, wear a scarf, and drink lattes at starbucks. wait...wat?
    Call the FBI!

Someone has kidnapped our good friend and replaced him with this individual
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

I bet you posted this from Starbucks......JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

amazing
    GO GIANTS!!!

AD

I'm not laughing at you. Its a good tool. I'm amazed at how much I use my iPad
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

From the streets of Brooklyn, living in the burbs of Maryland
    I'm poor. I could only afford the iPad knock off. I got one of the HP Touch Pads from the fire sale.
    The BK Show - Hosted by DJ Val Thursday's 8 PM www.DHPradio.com

The BK Show - Hosted by DJ Val Monday's 8 PM (Bi-Weekly) www.CyberJamz.com

http://djval-bkny11203.podOmatic.com

http://soundcloud.com/djval_bkny11203

2013 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by The Buddy Love Show View Post
    Call the FBI!

lol

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    I bet you posted this from Starbucks......JMJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kenrick _ View Post
    amazing

AD

I'm not laughing at you. Its a good tool. I'm amazed at how much I use my iPad
    i know. same here. i was skeptical at first, but now i'm a believer. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bkny11203 View Post
    I'm poor. I could only afford the iPad knock off. I got one of the HP Touch Pads from the fire sale.
    no worries, bro, i'm poor too. lol

i played with the HP touchpad as well and it's a very nice OS, but the lack of support for it is what kept me from getting one. besides, the majority of development for tablets is geared toward the iPad. if anything, i've found it to be an incredible tool for reading and keeping up-to-date with what's going on in the world and i've noticed i'm reading A LOT more than i used to. don't get me wrong, i still love physical books and i'll never get rid of my collection, but reading with the kindle app on my iPad is heaven when i'm in bed or on the shitter. i've literally spent an hour or more at times on the throne just reading. lol

btw, the prices should come down once the iPad3 comes out in march or april so i'd sell the touchpad or keep it and get an iPad, too. the apps alone make it worthwhile.
    Last edited by AD; 01-22-2012 at 12:21 PM.

lol

i know. same here. i was skeptical at first, but now i'm a believer. lol

no worries, bro, i'm poor too. lol

i played with the HP touchpad as well and it's a very nice OS, but the lack of support for it is what kept me from getting one. besides, the majority of development for tablets is geared toward the iPad. if anything, i've found it to be an incredible tool for reading and keeping up-to-date with what's going on in the world and i've noticed i'm reading A LOT more than i used to. don't get me wrong, i still love physical books and i'll never get rid of my collection, but reading with the kindle app on my iPad is heaven when i'm in bed or on the shitter. i've literally spent an hour or more at times on the throne just reading. lol

btw, the prices should come down once the iPad3 comes out in march or april so i'd sell the touchpad or keep it and get an iPad, too. the apps alone make it worthwhile.
    I'm keeping it. Going to do the Android conversion later this week and have it dual bootable. Then I will have the Android market.

Yea its pretty badass. Grab that pulse app guys. .

Call the FBI!

agreed. send the i-team alert.

props for admitting this considering your strong disdain for apple sometimes. your experience pretty much sums up what I think Apple's all about--creating a strong, but relatively easy and thoughtful user experience. They have their faults, and, many times, have some WTF type moments, but they're generally more a leader than a follower. i always recommend people use the right tool for the task at hand. I don't think there's any one platform that's truly superior for everyone and, thankfully, the market's filled with a variety of enough products that no one should find themselves in a position where they can't find good solutions to suit their individual needs.

I'm keeping it. Going to do the Android conversion later this week and have it dual bootable. Then I will have the Android market.
    From what I've read, whatever flavor of Android that's currently in alpha for the Touchpad isn't that great because it wasn't made with tablets in mind. Most people on Ars recommend waiting till an ICS port comes out. I, too, have the touchpad and I'll feel like i'd be going a step down in the user experience department going from WebOS to Android (whatever version is in alpha for touchpad). It's a shame because WebOS really shines above the rest (I like it even more than iOS).

Quote Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
    From what I've read, whatever flavor of Android that's currently in alpha for the Touchpad isn't that great because it wasn't made with tablets in mind. Most people on Ars recommend waiting till an ICS port comes out. I, too, have the touchpad and I'll feel like i'd be going a step down in the user experience department going from WebOS to Android (whatever version is in alpha for touchpad). It's a shame because WebOS really shines above the rest (I like it even more than iOS).
    Wake me when you find a flavor of android that is that great. Android is awful.
    http://www.venganza.org/

“I shoulda known you'd be behind this, Fiendish Dr. Wu. Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by your zest for Kung Fu treachery!" - Black Dynamite

2006 & 2012 DHP Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Huey P. Freeman View Post
    Wake me when you find a flavor of android that is that great. Android is awful.
    I haven't really kept up with Android. I'm still using a 3GS and aside from the battery drain that iOS 5 has on it, I don't see myself getting a new phone till it dies. I do have an HP Touchpad, though, and at some point, I feel like I won't have a choice but to install ICS on it. As much as I like WebOS, no one's going to develop new apps for a dead OS.

I haven't really kept up with Android. I'm still using a 3GS and aside from the battery drain that iOS 5 has on it, I don't see myself getting a new phone till it dies. I do have an HP Touchpad, though, and at some point, I feel like I won't have a choice but to install ICS on it. As much as I like WebOS, no one's going to develop new apps for a dead OS.
    WebOS was nice. I agree it's demise sucks. HP's terrible leadership killed it. On another note I can't wait to see what the Microsoft tabs are like. Mango is awesome.
    http://www.venganza.org/

“I shoulda known you'd be behind this, Fiendish Dr. Wu. Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by your zest for Kung Fu treachery!" - Black Dynamite

2006 & 2012 DHP Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Huey P. Freeman View Post
    WebOS was nice. I agree it's demise sucks. HP's terrible leadership killed it. On another note I can't wait to see what the Microsoft tabs are like. Mango is awesome.
    I'm one of those dudes that stops keeping up with new tech once I have stuff that suits my needs. I only start doing research on new tech when I need to replace/upgrade defective or non-functional stuff I already have. I haven't even upgraded to Lion yet because SL works fine for me. I've glanced over some articles on Ars that discuss the direction Microsoft is going with Mango and Win 8 and I like what I see. I'm glad they're paying more attention to UX these days.

The current version of Android CM7 is stable sans a few minor issues. They have ICS up and running. Though the video playback and cam are not working yet.

if you do the upgrade it will be a dual boot so you don't lose anything. How will it be a step back? You get more for the cost of nothing. As long as I can get Netflix on it I will be happy. I can't complain for $150.

The current version of Android CM7 is stable sans a few minor issues. They have ICS up and running. Though the video playback and cam are not working yet.

if you do the upgrade it will be a dual boot so you don't lose anything. How will it be a step back? You get more for the cost of nothing. As long as I can get Netflix on it I will be happy. I can't complain for $150.
    Ah, I didn't know CM9 was available already. I checked a couple weeks ago and it wasn't ready yet so I assumed it would be a while.

I can't really talk about ICS because I haven't fucked with it, but previous versions of Android didn't really impress me on a usability level, not to mention the custom skins each manufacturer would throw on their devices, to me, shit started getting confusing. I like simplicity and consistency across a brand. When one talks about Android, his/her experience may differ from someone else's depending upon the device they're using. That's a hot mess, IMO. Also, I consider the WebOS card paradigm to be a step above everyone else's approach to multitasking. It's so intuitive that I find myself performing WebOS gestures on my iPhone.

Thanks for the heads up on CM9, though. I'm going to give it a shot this week.