Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: being a 1st time pops is not a piece of cake!

being a 1st time pops is not a piece of cake!

my baby girl is 6 weeks old & she has some powerful lungs when she wants that formula this is a real challenge im gonna have my hands full when my lady goes back to work in mid april.... i tired to post a pic but says error everytime....

Stay the course brother the rewards will far exceed the frustrations.
    Last edited by DaBownca; 02-27-2012 at 09:36 AM.

People have raised kids from the beginning of time. They did it and so can you.

Be careful using cloves. Overuse can result in blister formation
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Quote Originally Posted by The Buddy Love Show View Post
    People have raised kids from the beginning of time. They did it and so can you.

Be careful using cloves. Overuse can result in blister formation
    n/m
    Last edited by DaBownca; 02-27-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Crushing or steeping the plant in water causes it to release its oil into the water resulting in an infusion (clove water). Depending on the amount of water used or the number of cloves used, different titers are obtained.

Be careful ingesting anything or giving anything to babies to ingest. As per usual, consult a pediatrician
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

congrats and cherish this time, its very special, nothing like being awake at 3 in the morning fulfilling the needs of a life you created, embrace it and enjoy the bonding moments that will last a lifetime

congrats! breathe deep and try to stay focused on your love of the situation.

i have a feeling, somewhere in like 12 to 13 years, you'll be wishing for these times again...

Quote Originally Posted by old disco jock View Post
    my baby girl is 6 weeks old & she has some powerful lungs when she wants that formula this is a real challenge im gonna have my hands full when my lady goes back to work in mid april.... i tired to post a pic but says error everytime....
    Your fortunate she's not Colic like my kid was. Nothing like taking an infant on a 3am stroll in the park. LOL. I was fortunate that my boss(at the time) gave me a 10am start time so I could handle the late nights.
    When you can't see the angles no more, you're in trouble baby, you're in trouble. Carlito's Way

Congratulations and best of luck.
    Oh, I know very well how I got my name

My show with music in it- http://phthalyl.podomatic.com/ :)

what got me through that time was to wear earplugs. really took the edge off.

mine is almost 2 now, and its the mother which seems more difficult to me, lol. hang in there.

To Whom It May Concern/Piss Off/ Wise Up,

Crying is communication, and just about the only form of emphatic dialog your infant can give you. You may find it an inconvenience, but it isn't noise. Crying is an APPEAL for relief from discomfort or pain, a request for comfort from fear or anxiety or flat out complaint over being ignored or misunderstood.

Earplugs are neglect. Step up your game. PAY ATTENTION. Has anything changed? Is anything newly introduced to their environment that upsets the balance/consistency of experience? Any changes to diet for baby or, if breastfeeding, mother? Are you yourself stressed or unwell and transmitting that energy in the baby's environment? Check for stings or bites from insects and pets. Check for irritations or welts. Move your ass. Do your duty. Put down the beer and fags, wash your hands, sanitize them, and get hands on.

If all seems well and none of the above are affecting your kid, SWADDLE THAT BABY. Swaddling isn't tying a baby up. It imparts the same comfort as being held or the closeness and warmth of the womb. It's immediate comfort. Hold the baby until he/she gets drowsy, turn on some soft sounds or music, turn out the light, then give the little one a pacifier and place them on their side in the crib or basinet. Leave the room and close the door. Allow the baby to cry at length for no more than 5m, then check on him/her. Replace the pacifier if necessary, rub them and whisper softly, then leave the room and allow them to cry for another 10m. This is how they feel out their space and settle into feeling safe and comfortable. They would rather reproduce these feelings on their own, but if you don't teach them, it won't come inately. It helps to build a schedule.

If you aren't keeping a consistent sleep schedule, feeding schedule and using techniques such as tummy time, swaddling, etc., you're not helping your baby grow independent. Don't have your triflin' ass complaining about crying, going for earplugs, etc. if you're going to be lazy about helping that baby develop independence.

Signed,

Daniel, Grand(father) Duke of Stony Island
    Onliest Ninja in the Republic who can change one, feed another and drop a 12footer for birdie at the same time, bitchez!
    Last edited by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island; 02-27-2012 at 06:58 PM.

My daughter (my only child) is 5 y.o. and the stuff she invents in her mind is powerful. Funny as hell too. Really easy to educate in whatever topic. Just wait to you experience this as well.

She will try and test me once in awhile. LOL!

In her toddler years, it would take time to get her on a constant sleep schedule. Once you establish this it will a little easier.

Hang in there, the fun (and not so affable) times will hit you. You are growing and learning with your child.
    Last edited by Mocambo; 02-27-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    "I'm so tired of you black people walking round looking evil like that's gonna change something."
    -Dick Gregory.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post

Crying is communication, and just about the only form of emphatic dialog your infant can give you. You may find it an inconvenience, but it isn't noise. Crying is an APPEAL for relief from discomfort or pain, a request for comfort from fear or anxiety or flat out complaint over being ignored or misunderstood.

Earplugs are neglect. Step up your game. PAY ATTENTION. Has anything changed? Is anything newly introduced to their environment that upsets the balance/consistency of experience? Any changes to diet for baby or, if breastfeeding, mother? Are you yourself stressed or unwell and transmitting that energy in the baby's environment? Check for stings or bites from insects and pets. Check for irritations or welts. Move your ass. Do your duty. Put down the beer and fags, wash your hands, sanitize them, and get hands on.

If all seems well and none of the above are affecting your kid, SWADDLE THAT BABY. Swaddling isn't tying a baby up. It imparts the same comfort as being held or the closeness and warmth of the womb. It's immediate comfort. Hold the baby until he/she gets drowsy, turn on some soft sounds or music, turn out the light, then give the little one a pacifier and place them on their side in the crib or basinet. Leave the room and close the door. Allow the baby to cry at length for no more than 5m, then check on him/her. Replace the pacifier if necessary, rub them and whisper softly, then leave the room and allow them to cry for another 10m. This is how they feel out their space and settle into feeling safe and comfortable. They would rather reproduce these feelings on their own, but if you don't teach them, it won't come inately. It helps to build a schedule.

If you aren't keeping a consistent sleep schedule, feeding schedule and using techniques such as tummy time, swaddling, etc., you're not helping your baby grow independent. Don't have your triflin' ass complaining about crying, going for earplugs, etc. if you're going to be lazy about helping that baby develop independence.

Signed,

Onliest Ninja in the Republic who can change one, feed another and drop a 12footer for birdie at the same time, bitchez!
    LOL

The only point I disagree on is that I never gave mine pacifiers. If you lose em, there is hell to pay and the devil don't take IOU's

LOL

The only point I disagree on is that I never gave mine pacifiers. If you lose em, there is hell to pay and the devil don't take IOU's
    Man, you better get on CLIPS! There's all sorts of PACIFIER TECHNOLOGY at the palace in Vegas. Alligator clips, velcro, bungie straps...I'm rockin' the hybrids and belly putter equivalents of pacifiers and swaddling blankets.

The other day, I was holding one while feeding the other, helping one study for the SATs while reviewing the third's Philosophy 2 paper.

That was the goddamned US Open for me. Handlin' thangs. Grand Duke! What?!

http://www.amazon.com/Pacimals-Hugga.../dp/B001F8LTJM

no doubt, my girl invented this thing called Pacimals

Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Pacimals-Hugga.../dp/B001F8LTJM

no doubt, my girl invented this thing called Pacimals
    Your girl is makin' some sharp cheddar!

My faves are the venerable WubbaNub (giraffe stylee):

And the reliable Munchkin Clip:

With the Munchkin, you're like, "Oh shit...the pacifier...you see it?! Did you bring it? Did we leave it?! Oh...here it is...right on the end of the Munchkin, fool!" Combine the WubbaNub and the Munchkin and you have just enough room left over for exploding gas pellets and a batarang or two.

Grand Duke don't mess around with his baby accoutrements. I keeps my shit in one of these:

congrats B, hope she always brings you joy. be a good example for her.

Signed,

earplugs are not neglect. babies cry, and of course they always have a good reason for doing so, but it takes time to calm them down and earplugs are a godsend in keeping your sanity during those moments (getting to sleep while holding, changing diapers, consoling after a fall, etc). my daughter still breastfeeds and eventually i'll stop having to change her diapers. I hope washing diapers, bundling up for stroller walks in the snow and cooking meals for the last 22 months is enough of doing ones duty. during the first months, i rarely saw anyone, let alone fathers pushing strollers at hte hours i was doing it, and certainly nobody else was sitting in the snow so the baby could sleep while hte mother worked or whatever. if i'm triflin' for wearing earplugs to deal with everything else when im not, so be it.

but maybe i just have overly sensitive ears due to my work. they arent to ignore hte noise. babies are designed to really pierce your ears and heart when they need something. i figure there is no need ot be reminded at full volume why you are attending ot the task at hand. my daughter is learning two languages simultaneously, stops to have her shoes taken off instead of dragging the street all over hte flat, and has been sick but a couple times with the same colds as her parents, so i hope im doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by dag View Post
    earplugs are not neglect. babies cry, and of course they always have a good reason for doing so, but it takes time to calm them down and earplugs are a godsend in keeping your sanity during those moments (getting to sleep while holding, changing diapers, consoling after a fall, etc). my daughter still breastfeeds and eventually i'll stop having to change her diapers. I hope washing diapers, bundling up for stroller walks in the snow and cooking meals for the last 22 months is enough of doing ones duty. during the first months, i rarely saw anyone, let alone fathers pushing strollers at hte hours i was doing it, and certainly nobody else was sitting in the snow so the baby could sleep while hte mother worked or whatever. if i'm triflin' for wearing earplugs to deal with everything else when im not, so be it.

but maybe i just have overly sensitive ears due to my work. they arent to ignore hte noise. babies are designed to really pierce your ears and heart when they need something. i figure there is no need ot be reminded at full volume why you are attending ot the task at hand. my daughter is learning two languages simultaneously, stops to have her shoes taken off instead of dragging the street all over hte flat, and has been sick but a couple times with the same colds as her parents, so i hope im doing something right.
    I'm jugglin' babies with grown-ass kids while playin' professionally. Take them fuckin' earplugs out your ears, fool!

(I'm just fuckin' witcha, man. I'm certain you're doing a king's job with the whole thing. I was just being provocative. Didn't mean for it to be at anyone's expense.)

Now go get ya fuckin' shinebox! And loose those earplugs! Or just man up and use a few drops of this in the bottle:

LOL

mine had one and wasnt interested in it. thankfully, she also wasnt really interested in sticking everything in sight in her mouth, either. now if only she'd sit on the toilet like she acts with her dolls.

mine had one and wasnt interested in it. thankfully, she also wasnt really interested in sticking everything in sight in her mouth, either. now if only she'd sit on the toilet like she acts with her dolls.
    The potty negotiations. Aw man. I got my granddaughter a toy of a wind-up penguin that poops candies out while it walks. I was hoping it'd make her interested in stayin' on the bowl. It didn't. It made her want to walk off.

That's when it's time for Pop-Pop to head back to L.A. "Sorry sweetheart...long drive...call me if you need anything..."

I just love grandparent prerogative.

Your girl is makin' some sharp cheddar!

My faves are the venerable WubbaNub (giraffe stylee):

And the reliable Munchkin Clip:

With the Munchkin, you're like, "Oh shit...the pacifier...you see it?! Did you bring it? Did we leave it?! Oh...here it is...right on the end of the Munchkin, fool!" Combine the WubbaNub and the Munchkin and you have just enough room left over for exploding gas pellets and a batarang or two.

Grand Duke don't mess around with his baby accoutrements. I keeps my shit in one of these:

lol, nice!

books in the bathroom, worked like a charm, to this day, she either reads or sings her heart out, full throttle while on the potty, nothing more hilarious

I bet the bat with a rope is a baby leash ahaha.

---

Congrats on the new one, the first year and first part of the year can be rough. I found the Terrible Two's weren't too terrible because my daughter could communicate well and wasn't as frustrated. Children grow out of this as they communicate more and more and this is the same thing, just magnified.

I remember my daughter was a few weeks old and I was letting her Mom sleep one night and I just broke down crying. I was soooooo tired, I couldn't communicate with my baby, didn't know why she was crying, why she wouldn't sleep, wouldn't stay asleep, on and on.

You can only do so much at so many times, Danny is right, swaddle the baby, spend time with her, always make sure she's clean and fed and try to learn patterns and definitely develop routines. Kids love routines, it's comforting.