Thread: Studio Monitors

Cool Studio Monitors

Which ones are you using or would you recommend?

G*

I am using M-Audio Deluxe 8's and I would NOT recommend them :(

From what I hear you cant go wrong with the KRK series

Thanks Steve!

The KRK look good, I have been looking at them. I hear Fostex PM1 are decent too... ideally the less I can spend the better really :P

Cheers,

G*

Yamaha NS-10M Studio & Avantone Mixcubes are my main mixing monitors. Ill be getting some Focal to round out my trio before the years end.
    Something new & exciting comes to NJ every first Friday of the month.
    "I PLAY FOR EVERYONE"
    I would rather earn 1% off a 100 people’s efforts than 100% of my own efforts.- John D. Rockefeller 1839-1937( American Industrialist, Philanthropist, Billionaire)

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
    Which ones are you using or would you recommend?

G*
    There are plenty of powered and non powered monitors on the market these days and i would say set a budget and then test all the monitors you can that are in that budget range. Your ears can get use to any monitors after a while so set a price and then pick the one your ears like the best in that range.
    Something new & exciting comes to NJ every first Friday of the month.
    "I PLAY FOR EVERYONE"
    I would rather earn 1% off a 100 people’s efforts than 100% of my own efforts.- John D. Rockefeller 1839-1937( American Industrialist, Philanthropist, Billionaire)

Thank guys, I'll get on the hunt and report back.

whatever monitors you get, make sure your room is treated or you've wasted your money

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Jefferson View Post
    whatever monitors you get, make sure your room is treated or you've wasted your money
    Signature is blocked

Marshall just curious, what monitors do you use? I love my mackies HR 824
    Anyway... to keep on topic.... Giullaume, position of speaker is also key!
    putting it on ground in corner is really really bad!, adds extra of 9 dB low end. just putting it in corner 6 dB... one wal 3 dB... best is to wall mount but with some speakers u have possibility to adjust.
    Signature is blocked

I have the HR 824's at my main studio in Chicago and in Manchester and New Jersey I have Rockit 5's.

I just read somewhere that Adam has a new pair that's more affordable. I'm using event precision 8's and I'm used to them but I probably wouldn't get them again for studio work.

I'm curious about those little focusrite VRM boxes.

I have a VRM box. Pretty cool but I haven't mastered it yet. Does it sound like speakers? Ummmm no, but I think the best way to use it is to go back and forth between the different emulations so you get a rough idea of how it will sound on the different systems. Ideally, I should go between the computers speakers to the NS10's to the Genelecs/Adams, but the computer/tv speaker emulations sound so shitty i stay away from them. Also, the volume is not really as loud as I'd like.

I have some Berhinger MS20s...had them for a while actually, and I like them (or maybe my ear is just use to them :/). I plan on getting some Berhinger TRUTHs soon!

Using Focal Solo6 here and absolutely love them. There is amazing clarity from them. Can also use them for hours and feel no ear fratige.
    Deep N' Dusty House Grooves !!!
    http://soundcloud.com/nigel

Yamaha hs50 here, i am happy with them but i am in love with KRK.
    Again, room treatment is VERY important and often is the most underrated part.

I'm planning to buy a pair of KRK but actually I'm using a Bose companion set and I'm quite satisfied actually....anyway I agree with Duron, get comfy with your speakers, whatever kind of...and listen your mix on different speakers to achieve perfection (computer speakers, iPhone, car speakers and so on..).

I bought pair of Genelec 8020s and I have been very happy with them and would recommend them but of course I haven't used any other monitors so I can't really compare them to anything. But like people has said I think all you need is to get familiar with your speakers. For example my friend has some cheap hifi speakers but the sound quality he is producing is totally on a different level than mine.

At the end of the year I'm moving to a new house. I'll finally have a dedicated room for my studio and I'm planning to treat it for recording and mixing purposes. So it's necessary to buy a new pair of monitors (now I have a Bose companion....great sound but too colourful on the low frequencies). I'm reading a lot of good interviews about the KRKs but most of them report a very cheap response for basses....I know it's a silly question but for heavily bass based music such as deep and soulful house I would like to know If the KRKs could limit my monitoring while mixing.....any other decent alternatives in this price range? (ca. 400 € for pair)....

Personally I think you could probably get better for the price of a pair of KRK Rokits. I know a few people who've had the larger models (RP8) and apparently the bottom end is pretty hyped. Personally I'm just not keen on them based on the fact that every man and his dog seems to have a pair; they're not THAT amazing for the amount of people that seem to have them... I do sometimes wonder if as many people would have them if they didn't have 'trendy' looking yellow cones Hahaha

I mix on a pair (obviously!) of Adam A7X. They're quite well balanced and my mixes seem to translate pretty well, although the high end is pretty 'forward' which takes a little getting used to... Or you can just turn the 'tweeter gain' knob down at the back of the speaker. The bottom end is nice and honest, and goes down surprisingly more than you think it would, so is largely usable for the music I make. I'm not going anywhere near a sub till I've got a better treated room.

I've also mixed on Focal Twins, which I liked, although I thought they had quite a boxy character in the low mids. This wasn't a music mix though, it was for a 5.1 film mix, so I can't judge them on how good they are for music.

Personally I would go for a pair of Yamaha HS50's or 80's over a pair of KRK. The 'This monitor and that monitor is great' advice is all well and good but you really need to go and listen some yourself to make a decision you can trust!
    Last edited by Mikki Funk; 10-16-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Its also worth considering a decent pair of studio headphones. That way room acoustics dont matter.
    Next Release. Altered Perceptions EP out now on Beatport.

https://soundcloud.com/damian_s/sets...ed-perceptions