Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 231

Thread: Trayvon Martin and the fatal history of American racism

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    So make a broader political point with Black folk.......
    He did. When he sent Holder down there to wear some asses out.
    "Bullshit is the glue that binds us as a nation."

    George Carlin

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,742
    Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    it doesn't, sometimes a blunt instrument is the best tool for the job, save the scalpel for romney in the general
    We have a blunt instrument strike already going on, unless you find the Urban League, the NAACP, the AG's office, the FBI, the media, a pretty powerful FLA law firm, the black church in FLA and the entire internetz is a feather.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    it doesn't, sometimes a blunt instrument is the best tool for the job, save the scalpel for romney in the general
    I feel you. But that analogy of the father bull and his son fits here. Run down and fuck one? Or walk down and fuck them all? Food for thought.
    "Bullshit is the glue that binds us as a nation."

    George Carlin

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    It's just more of the same. Some ol' "If that nigga can do it, so can I" deal.

    Powell's political aspirations are a bit too out in front for him to be adding a political dimension to his writing about this topic. The best work he could do is keep it about Trayvon. The involvement of the AG's office keeps it about Trayvon. That sharp left turn his writing takes to shine a light on some potential hypocrisy on the part of the POTUS and his administration is bogus. Are you helping spread the word for the public good or are you juxtaposing POTUS against, say, what you, Kevin Powell would do.

    But leave it up to Powell to show himself to be a great leader in one heartbeat and a posturing clown in the next. He's been doing that shit since "The Real World." I really REALLY dig Powell the leader. Then that should be me shit starts. It's a common psychological tick of black folks with education and status. We look at greatness and wonder, "Why isn't that me?" I had a cat once who came to a screening of a flick I did and said to me, as he sipped drinks I bought him, "I looked at your flick and realized, if you could do it, I know I can do it." Fool didn't even know he just yakked in my face. I hit a 280y drive and black man on the tee after me just has to come out of his shoes to hit one 300, glaring at me, giving me the stank eye during what should be a friendly game. It's what we do. We should stop.

    We need Powell the leader, man. The cat who understands the hood and the halls equally. Not this envious nigga who projects himself into everything involving other black folks who do what he thinks he should be doing. First 3/4 of the article is exactly what America needs to read. The rest of that shit goes in the ashcan with Tavis Smiley and Cornell West 'n nem niggas.
    Here's the thing...........had he stopped at the first 3/4 of the article wouldn't he at some point be asked "what,then, would you do?? or "so how do you think it should be handled?"

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,742
    Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    honestly, had i known powell wrote it, i would not have even read it
    EXACTLY! It's disappointing, too. Powell could be the quintessential 21st century black American socio-political leader born of the Hip Hop Generation. Instead, he just fuckin' plays this, "No other nigga is good enough" shit. I can't stand - CAN'T FUCKIN' STAND - when black folks do this. Fence sit because they don't want to give it up to another black man.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    48,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite73 View Post
    Sup, P-Dub.

    I can understand your point about Sandra Fluke. But was a distinct political calculus with that phone call. He was making a broader political point with women. I can also understand the symbolism of calling this child's parents and sending his condolences.
    I can dig it

    However, I also would like the Julia Roberts Pretty Woman in the boutique suck up to me completely treatment as well.

    Additionally, there was no downside. In speaking with even my most conservative friends, the consensus among the thoughtful is that George Zimmerman is a jackass
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    dc
    Posts
    39,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    We have a blunt instrument strike already going on, unless you find the Urban League, the NAACP, the AG's office, the FBI, the media, a pretty powerful FLA law firm, the black church in FLA and the entire internetz is a feather.
    jes sayin:

    The alleged massacre of Afghan civilians by a U.S. soldier is "outrageous and unacceptable," President Barack Obama said Tuesday, and he promised a thorough and unstinting Pentagon investigation.

    "The United States takes this as seriously as if it was our own citizens, and our children, who were murdered. We're heartbroken over the loss of innocent life," Obama said. He sounded stern and emotional in brief remarks on the weekend killings made before an unrelated White House event.

    "I've directed the Pentagon to make sure that we spare no effort in conducting a full investigation," Obama said. "We will follow the facts wherever they lead us and we will make sure that anybody who is involved is held fully accountable with the full force of the law.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite73 View Post
    He did. When he sent Holder down there to wear some asses out.
    Does the DOJ ONLY intervene at the POTUS' behest?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Houston, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    EXACTLY! It's disappointing, too. Powell could be the quintessential 21st century black American socio-political leader born of the Hip Hop Generation. Instead, he just fuckin' plays this, "No other nigga is good enough" shit. I can't stand - CAN'T FUCKIN' STAND - when black folks do this. Fence sit because they don't want to give it up to another black man.
    I think all of you make very valid points on this topic but the one that really stood out is this ^^^...sorry but I can't stand Kevin Powell, he's useless, just loves to see his writings in print beyond that...ehhhh

    But my 2 cents on the subject matter is exactly what Dolemite says....
    Why can't I change my displayed name back to Ashaki?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    jes sayin:

    The alleged massacre of Afghan civilians by a U.S. soldier is "outrageous and unacceptable," President Barack Obama said Tuesday, and he promised a thorough and unstinting Pentagon investigation.

    "The United States takes this as seriously as if it was our own citizens, and our children, who were murdered. We're heartbroken over the loss of innocent life," Obama said. He sounded stern and emotional in brief remarks on the weekend killings made before an unrelated White House event.

    "I've directed the Pentagon to make sure that we spare no effort in conducting a full investigation," Obama said. "We will follow the facts wherever they lead us and we will make sure that anybody who is involved is held fully accountable with the full force of the law.
    Mark, the minute POTUS speaks on this publicly, he will be swiftly accused of interferring with an ongoing investigation and yadda, yadda, yadda. Just like with Gates in 2009, which became a circus. No need for that now. Send the DOJ to wreck shop down there, let the NAACP and the other vast amount of people protesting this apply more pressure and speak when the time is appropriate. Maybe after the grand jury meets?
    "Bullshit is the glue that binds us as a nation."

    George Carlin

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    dc
    Posts
    39,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite73 View Post
    I feel you. But that analogy of the father bull and his son fits here. Run down and fuck one? Or walk down and fuck them all? Food for thought.
    wtf?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    Does the DOJ ONLY intervene at the POTUS' behest?
    You think they operate with impunity? Think POTUS isn't briefed on what they do?
    "Bullshit is the glue that binds us as a nation."

    George Carlin

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    dc
    Posts
    39,419
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    Does the DOJ ONLY intervene at the POTUS' behest?
    no

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    48,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite73 View Post
    I feel you. But that analogy of the father bull and his son fits here. Run down and fuck one? Or walk down and fuck them all? Food for thought.


    I feel that.

    However, if it were me or mine, I'd want you all to follow a scorched earth policy from wherever to Sanford and let the chips fall where they fall. No Justice. No Peace.

    It's not just about Mr Martin. The PD in that town allowed a murderer to walk because of the color of his skin and the color of the victims skin. This cannot stand
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    48,913
    Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    wtf?
    In this case, I don't think that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Are there bigger fish to fry? Certainly. However, this one particular fish, in the form of young Mr Martin, is too important to ignore.

    This is the civil rights fight. A young black man was lynched for walking down the street in a white neighborhood. If we can't have simple protection of being allowed to live then we have no protections at all.
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    dc
    Posts
    39,419
    Quote Originally Posted by The Buddy Love Show View Post
    I feel that.

    However, if it were me or mine, I'd want you all to follow a scorched earth policy from wherever to Sanford and let the chips fall where they fall. No Justice. No Peace.

    It's not just about Mr Martin. The PD in that town allowed a murderer to walk because of the color of his skin and the color of the victims skin. This cannot stand
    c'mon man, scorched earth? cats are clutching pearls and petticoats lest they ruffle white folks' feathers

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by The Buddy Love Show View Post
    I feel that.

    However, if it were me or mine, I'd want you all to follow a scorched earth policy from wherever to Sanford and let the chips fall where they fall. No Justice. No Peace.

    It's not just about Mr Martin. The PD in that town allowed a murderer to walk because of the color of his skin and the color of the victims skin. This cannot stand
    If it were my 17 year old son, death would come swiftly to any and everybody responsible for his murder. Feel me on that. And I am sure deep down, POTUS feels the same way about his daughters. But he also has to let the process play out, in his position.
    "Bullshit is the glue that binds us as a nation."

    George Carlin

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    c'mon man, scorched earth? cats are clutching pearls and petticoats lest they ruffle white folks' feathers
    There is no pearl clucthing here. Just pure, cold-blooded pragmatic reasoning.
    "Bullshit is the glue that binds us as a nation."

    George Carlin

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,742
    Quote Originally Posted by The Buddy Love Show View Post
    I feel that.

    However, if it were me or mine, I'd want you all to follow a scorched earth policy from wherever to Sanford and let the chips fall where they fall. No Justice. No Peace.

    It's not just about Mr Martin. The PD in that town allowed a murderer to walk because of the color of his skin and the color of the victims skin. This cannot stand
    At minimum, a total shutdown of the city until justice is met. I'm black, so I have the right to ask, "If he were white...?" and I am near certain the answer would be, "The black Zimmerman would be dead already." That is what makes this hard to bear. Black folk are freedom and justice loving people. At our core, we want the system to work and we want to participate in that system.

    How do I know?

    Because, if not, we would have drug this bastard and his entire fam out and stomped them to death right in front of those gates.

    Instead, we organize, march and pray.

    That's why it's our turn to lead this nation.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    dc
    Posts
    39,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite73 View Post
    There is no pearl clucthing here. Just pure, cold-blooded pragmatic reasoning.
    pure silliness

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,866

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    31,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite73 View Post
    You think they operate with impunity? Think POTUS isn't briefed on what they do?
    Him being briefed and him UNLEASHING them are two completely different animals

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,742
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBownca View Post
    Him being briefed and him UNLEASHING them are two completely different animals
    No, it isn't.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...torney_General

    Opening abstract, man.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    48,913
    Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    c'mon man, scorched earth? cats are clutching pearls and petticoats lest they ruffle white folks' feathers
    We can love Barack and support Barack and still say "dude, check your self". People that love each other actually do this.

    We need to be savvy consumers in the process. We can't sign on to boycott Limbaugh over Ms Fluke yet remain mute and meek when it comes to Mr Martin

    The sidewalk needs to get very hot under the feet of those who aren't pushing for justice in this case. Additionally, symbolically, our president, our black president, has to be seen as not giving in to fear of recrimination from those who would seek to make politically hay out of him offering sympathy to these parents. Those people would be dooming themselves. If republican leadership were savvy, they'd reach out to this boys parents themselves
    Last edited by House; 03-21-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    dc
    Posts
    39,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    No, it isn't.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...torney_General

    Opening abstract, man.
    while eric works for barack, barack doesn't run the justice department, and while briefing the white house is routine, intervening in the martin case would not need, require, nor should prior approval be sought

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •