Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a Bowflex

Yeah the infomercials got to me. And I had tried it at a freinds house and liked it.

But buying one is different and at first i was experiencing buyers remorse.

After living with it for a while i can say this - IT WORKS. My tone is much improved and have seen some gain in tissue mass. I also like the ability to do a variety of workouts quickly.

I do own free weights and a Smith machine and have no intention of giving them up. However they are in the garage and I'm feeling to old for cold workouts in the garage during the winter months.

I figure if I maintain or even build my base during the winter on this machine i can go for deisel with the free weights in the spring.

Figured this might help anyone who was worried about being an infomercial tool ( although the unit is a bit pricey i still have no regrets)

vanity thy name is Magus
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Why would you have the means to improve your health in the cold garage ? Dedicate a nice warm room in the house for this stuff now !

I'm still running outside even though on some days I think its too fucking cold. Its just that theres something addictive that gets released into the blood stream when you excercise that leaves me no choice. After a day or two I get this feeling (craving) that I must get out there.

-G
    (\\_/) <br />(O.o) <br />(&gt; &lt;) \"Swim at your own risk\"

Originally posted by Gman:
    Why would you have the means to improve your health in the cold garage ? Dedicate a nice warm room in the house for this stuff now !

I'm still running outside even though on some days I think its too fucking cold. Its just that theres something addictive that gets released into the blood stream when you excercise that leaves me no choice. After a day or two I get this feeling (craving) that I must get out there.

-G
    Its the only place it fit. I need a bigger place as I live in a 1930s Tudor with EXTREMELY small rooms

I do have the stairclimber indoors though and that i use on the regular
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Magus,

I have so wanted a bowflex for the longest time! However, I feared that it was probably a little too pricey? Not trying to be nosey, but do they offer some type of payment plan? Price range? PM me with the info or share right here if you don't mind. I'm really interested in knowing the particulars. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Tony Bracey:
    Magus,

I have so wanted a bowflex for the longest time! However, I feared that it was probably a little too pricey? Not trying to be nosey, but do they offer some type of payment plan? Price range? PM me with the info or share right here if you don't mind. I'm really interested in knowing the particulars. Thanks in advance.
    www.bowflex.com .......JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

Originally posted by Tony Bracey:
    Magus,

Heres the link

http://www.bowflex.com/index.asp

they offer many payment options and now offer different variations on the same platfom so that you can customize your purchase to your finess goals

I will say this about the equipment. The resistance is real and it really forces you to use your stabilizer muscles as well as your core muscles. My shoulders have always been difficult to train effectively and right now they are burning fom my Sunday workout.

tel me if you need any other feedback

Are you basically toning or are you finding that you're packing on some mass?

Originally posted by Derrick:
    Are you basically toning or are you finding that you're packing on some mass?
    definitely added mass in the shoulders

Chest is toned..but it was decnt size to start and I hvent been pushing it..

triceps definitely are more massive

Magus & JMJ,

Thanks for the info! I will be looking into purchasing one soon.

Provide feedback please. I want to know how it compares to free weights. I've been contemplating a purchase and even ordered the video but rather have some hands on research first..free weights are so dangerous without a spotter, you can't really push yourself.

Originally posted by St Magus the Reviled:
    Yeah the infomercials got to me. And I had tried it at a freinds house and liked it.

After living with it for a while i can say this - IT WORKS. My tone is much improved and have seen some gain in tissue mass. I also like the ability to do a variety of workouts quickly.

I do own free weights and a Smith machine and have no intention of giving them up. However they are in the garage and I'm feeling to old for cold workouts in the garage during the winter months.

I figure if I maintain or even build my base during the winter on this machine i can go for deisel with the free weights in the spring.

Figured this might help anyone who was worried about being an infomercial tool ( although the unit is a bit pricey i still have no regrets)

vanity thy name is Magus
    THEY THE SHIT I GOT ONE AS WELL;
    peace love and harmony

vanity thy name is Magus
    Yea you'll be hangin' your clothes from the thing by April like the rest of us. [img]graemlins/cool_shades.gif[/img]
    Talent ensconced in obscure seclusion by copious mediocrity.

Defintely worth the money. I've had one for a while now and need to get back to it. I finally got up to 300 on the thing and took some time off. I probably will have to start off at 230-250 before I can get back to where I ended. You will feel the burn on the bowflex.
    Shem Hotep
    Nu Bang Clan
    http://www.myspace.com/dj_ephi
    E-Phi's Homepage

E-Phi's Psychosis 9/27/09

Theme song Rivers of My Fathers

"He once had an awkward moment...just to see how it feels".

I have a universal gym in the basement that I use every couple of days. It has two sets of weights on separate pulley systems. Picked it up at Sams Wholesale Club 4 years ago and have been surprised as too the quality and how long it has lasted. Took me two days to put that damn thing together.
    (\\_/) <br />(O.o) <br />(&gt; &lt;) \"Swim at your own risk\"

Work them muscles out boyeeee..damm like you aint a giant already...lol :D
    The House of Soul - Sammy Rock and Dj Housecat Podcast Page
    http://souloasis.cyberjamz.com/
    Twitter http://bit.ly/5Yfzle
    FB - Cyberjamz Fan Pagehttp://bit.ly/4z3wni
    Cyberjamz Radio Show every Monday from 9am - 2pm est
    http://cyberjamz.com

Quick question..More weight less reps = mass
    more reps less weight to cut...no??
    "Rich in Rhythm" @ Madame X Mondays
    www.madamexnyc.com

Originally posted by richierich:
    If you want to add mass you have to use heavy weights ( and to my mind eat - a lot)...don't want to get freaky big and my program isn't geared towards that

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by richierich:
    If you want to add mass you have to use heavy weights ( and to my mind eat - a lot)...don't want to get freaky big and my program isn't geared towards that </font>[/QUOTE]Gotcha.
    www.madamexnyc.com

I wanted one of these as well, but thought I would get a better work out with free weights... This is a good thread....
    I dreamed of Revelry and found Revelry.

I'm trying to have more discipline and max out but after about 3 straight weeks I fall off.
    www.madamexnyc.com

Originally posted by BHouse:
    I wanted one of these as well, but thought I would get a better work out with free weights... This is a good thread....
    if you are working out alone you really can't max out on free weights, as was mentioned, you lose some form as fatigue sets in making you susceptible to injury, having said that, you can still get a good workout alone on free weights, but there are some exercises you just should not do alone

Originally posted by mhd:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BHouse:
    if you are working out alone you really can't max out on free weights, as was mentioned, you lose some form as fatigue sets in making you susceptible to injury, having said that, you can still get a good workout alone on free weights, but there are some exercises you just should not do alone </font>[/QUOTE]True and even on the bowflex don't let go of the pulley if you have heavy resistance on there. It will snap back.

[ December 23, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: E-Phi ]
    Shem Hotep
    Nu Bang Clan
    http://www.myspace.com/dj_ephi
    E-Phi's Homepage

E-Phi's Psychosis 9/27/09

Theme song Rivers of My Fathers

"He once had an awkward moment...just to see how it feels".

Originally posted by mhd:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BHouse:
    if you are working out alone you really can't max out on free weights, as was mentioned, you lose some form as fatigue sets in making you susceptible to injury, having said that, you can still get a good workout alone on free weights, but there are some exercises you just should not do alone </font>[/QUOTE]I'm hoping to use the Bowflex to help spur strength on Bench Press as i will not max press by myself, however there is an alternative

http://www.prospotfitness.com/index.html

but once again i run into space requirements. I have tried the Prospot and it is excellent and self spotting...Also expensive but worth the money if you like free weights and want to max out by yourself. Also, unlike a smith machine you are not forced into a linear range of motion

as an aside

If you have equipment but want to upgrade you can take your old equipment and donate it to the FD or PD and get a full tax deduction. if you are concerned about making the federales too ass whipping strong then donate to a fraternal organization. Gentleman at a fitness store says he uses this dodge all the time

Y'all got me GEEKED talking about this shit..now I can't wait to get home and...PASS OUT :D ..no but it's shoulder and upper back day for me.
    www.madamexnyc.com