Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ... is more powerful than ever back in the country where the journey began, the USA.

... is more powerful than ever back in the country where the journey began, the USA.

http://gottahavegoodmusic.com/post/2...sell-editorial

Following a hugely successful 10 days in Miami for The Ultra Music Festival and Winter Music Conference last month, the genre is more powerful than ever back in the country where the journey began, the USA. Just over a year ago many of us were babbling in admiration at how David Guetta appeared to have cracked the secret code and broken onto mainstream American radio. We all predicted that EDM (Electronic Dance Music, you can’t call it “house” anymore!) was going to explode.

Twelve months later that impact seems to be tenfold. For three nights at Ultra in front of 60,000 people per show, the likes of Afrojack, Avicii, Skrillex, Tiesto, David Guetta, Fatboy Slim and Chase & Status tore into the audience with slick aural and visual assaults to rival the best in stadium rock. Just two blocks away, Swedish House Mafia were hosting their own sold out two-day extravaganza alongside Calvin Harris. Madonna felt moved enough by all this commotion to go and introduce Avicii - a DJ who had just remixed her new single Girls Gone Wild – to the stage. She then got a social media kicking from Deadmau5 for making an alleged drugs reference which made worldwide news. There was a time when the scene needed endorsement by stars of her ilk, but now has more social media clout than Madonna. How times have changed.

This summer Avicii, Afrojack and Kaskade are all doing 30-plus date arena tours, as Las Vegas hotels boast 50 exclusive DJ residencies and 300,000 people are predicted to attend the Electric Daisy Carnival in June. Whilst David Guetta’s success story follows reasonably conventional industry rules it’s incredible to think that Swedish House Mafia – who haven’t yet made an artist album – look set to fill the Milton Keynes Bowl in July. The closer you look, the more remarkable the feats. Brazil, India and China are warming up. The game has well and truly changed, forever. But success inevitably attracts attention - and now numerous extremely wealthy individuals, big business and VC funds are eager to buy into the EDM action.

If allowed to run riot with their corporate machinery, these same people will destroy the scene. Wikipedia the word ‘stampede’ and I think you’ll get the picture. Now is the time for those involved to sharpen up and play their very best game; to develop the scene steadily, keeping it true to its roots. Reading Nile Rogers’ brilliant autobiography Le Freak, one is poignantly reminded of the irony of it all. At the peak of the disco boom America turned on its creators and publicly humiliated them by burning 12” singles in baseball stadiums. Looking back to the first wave of dance music can teach us an interesting lesson. In 1988 I was involved in bringing house music from Chicago and New York back to the UK. We had No.1 records and gave birth to Club Culture, whilst America kept it in the closet because they thought it was music for the gay scene. We enjoyed our own boom decade but the scene eventually suffered a major setback in 2000 when the money generated couldn’t sustain the huge infrastructure and investment. Clubs, labels and magazines closed. DJs migrated off around the world.

The money at stake now dwarfs what was on the table back then, but the history should come as a warning shot to all about selling the genre short and being seduced by cheque book-waving billionaires with no care or vision for the long term game. Even at the peak of all the excitement in Miami last month, the LA District Attorney was arresting two of the countries leading ‘rave’ promoters along with some of the management team at the LA Coliseum on charges of bribery and corruption - charges they both deny. None of this success would have happened without the long-term nurturing of the dance scene’s clubs and festivals. There would be no David Guetta or Swedish House Mafia without the clubs in Ibiza. And there would be no stickiness to EDM’s crossover in the US without the years of development on the underground of the festivals like EDC, Ultra, HARD, Electric Zoo, the Detroit Electronic Music Festival, Monster Massive and Nocturnal. We need the underground as much as we need Las Vegas - maybe more so. Without a place for all these ideas to develop and come to fruition you won’t get the end result.
    Last edited by DaveR; 04-19-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

"I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    ...on the underground of the festivals like EDC, Ultra, HARD, Electric Zoo, the Detroit Electronic Music Festival, Monster Massive and Nocturnal. We need the underground as much as we need Las Vegas - maybe more so. Without a place for all these ideas to develop and come to fruition you won’t get the end result.
    That's undergound? wow.
    "MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT, BUT NEVER WANT AS LONG AS YOU LIVE. MAY YOU LIVE TO BE 100, & ME 100 BUT MINUS A DAY, SO THAT I'LL KNOW THAT NICE PEOPLE LIKE YOU, HAVE PASSED MY WAY. AND REMEMBER, WHEN FRANKIE CROCKER ISN'T ON YOUR RADIO, YOUR RADIO JUST ISN'T REALLY ON."

God I cant wait till this bubble burst

"you can’t call it “house” anymore" -- stopped reading here...

^ ^
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

"I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

it is probably already corporatized, as so many arenas have been named after corporate entities.

unless the corporate entities muscle out underground venues, i dont see this as mutually exclusive. tong himself would not have been able to ride the wave as he did had corporate entities in his home country not recognized the legitimacy/market potential of dance music audiences.

the love parade showed that something can grow, get sold out, get sold off, implode, and that audiences could move on without it.

edc will be just fine, as long as the audience is captive to the corporate message.

I will be booking all these fuckwads in 7 years....just like back in the late 90s when the UK was done with the NYC djs and they had to come back home to reality.
    I Am Almost Keeping It Real

meh...people on the street still play rap.

Quote Originally Posted by JMNYC View Post
    That's undergound? wow.
    Hardcore, yo......JMJ
    THE DHP KING OF EDITS

JMJ - Off The Deep End - Now on DHP Radio - Friday 3pm-5pm EST - http://dhpradio.com/jmj-off-the-deep-end.html
    Facebook me: facebook.com/kingofedits
    Podomatic me: http://jmjeditking.podomatic.com/
    Soundcloud me: http://soundcloud.com/jmj-edits

2007 & 2010 Deep House Fantasy Football Champion
    2011 & 2012 back-to-back DHP Fantasy Baseball Champion

That's undergound? wow.
    Wow on so many levels.

Props to Pete Tong off acknowledging the roots of the current scene being in Chicago and NYC

One can either surf a wave or get washed over by it. It really depends on ones innate abilities or lack thereof
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

"Where there is no vision, the people perish...". Proverbs 29:18

http://deephousepage.com/forums/show...ghlight=Forbes
    As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring.

Quote Originally Posted by The Buddy Love Show View Post
    Props to Pete Tong off acknowledging the roots of the current scene being in Chicago and NYC

One can either surf a wave or get washed over by it. It really depends on ones innate abilities or lack thereof
    I dug that too, props also for mentioning niles rodgers book, having said that, what do you think he means when he says "keeping it true to its roots..."?

That's undergound? wow.
    Everyone has a different definition of underground, but I suppose you could argue that it's underground since the majority of that music is still not played on mainstream radio. Some stuff like Guetta gets through, but I think a great deal of the music at those festivals is still only heard in clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    I dug that too, props also for mentioning niles rodgers book, having said that, what do you think he means when he says "keeping it true to its roots..."?
    Damn. You lawyers have a keen eye. I thought that was a very important passage as it relates to the title of the article (which DR unfortunately left out - demerit for a the usually careful DR). "Grow Smartly: Don't Sell". IMO, he speaks to the energy that created the original scene as well as this new resurgence. Cats aren't making pablum ( like Ethel Merman disco joints) because of the dollars. While crap does exist, the energy in this scene is heartfelt and real and comes from a place of creativity for its own sake. A lot of dance music is being created daily by cats who will never be Avicii, Guetta, SHM, or even Pete Tong. However, the underground, where this comes from, is alive and well and those roots needed to be respected, recognized, and encouraged; in a historical perspective and also as it applies to the current scene. Otherwise we will find ourselves pimped out and discarded just as we have been in the past

Jmo

I'm interested in hearing the views of others regarding this article as the initial response was amazingly little given the intelligence and acumen of the posters in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by D J 1 3 8 View Post
    Everyone has a different definition of underground, but I suppose you could argue that it's underground since the majority of that music is still not played on mainstream radio. Some stuff like Guetta gets through, but I think a great deal of the music at those festivals is still only heard in clubs.
    This is a condition that other genres would kill for. A concentrated market with potentially 3 types of royalties for every performance. Plus - and this is big - a tie to pleasant memory. Hearing a tune on a club system, sweaty and dancing, most likely with others is different than a .99 download in your little headphones on the train. Underground is the only ground. Nothing else is as concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    This is a condition that other genres would kill for. A concentrated market with potentially 3 types of royalties for every performance. Plus - and this is big - a tie to pleasant memory. Hearing a tune on a club system, sweaty and dancing, most likely with others is different than a .99 download in your little headphones on the train.
    Now we are synthesizing!

An interesting, and astute, observation.

i initially dissed the article because of the 'house' comment, but, he goes on to summarize the past ten years of discussion on this board, for that he gets my respect, that he knows the history and articualtes it well almost never happens, that he connects it to the future and indeed mandates that connection is unheard of except on dhp, ( could be wrong about that of course) he does omit though, a swath of folks that are intimately connected to the underground, its history and are keeping things fresh and alive, and you gotta start, i think with timmy regisford and a lot of cats in this thread, like my man alan king and cfp, because, quite frankly, we were content to labor on "for the love" that pete tong realizes that we are the life blood of everything that came after and continues to this day is gratifying

i initially dissed the article because of the 'house' comment, but, he goes on to summarize the past ten years of discussion on this board, for that he gets my respect, that he knows the history and articualtes it well almost never happens, that he connects it to the future and indeed mandates that connection is unheard of except on dhp, ( could be wrong about that of course) he does omit though, a swath of folks that are intimately connected to the underground, its history and are keeping things fresh and alive, and you gotta start, i think with timmy regisford and a lot of cats in this thread, like my man alan king and cfp
    To your point about keeping things fresh and alive, I've found that the elements of vibe (environment of enjoyment) and commodity (music not intended for the masses) don't match up in most efforts. Folks have the new music breaking formula, but they lack an authoritative vibe of ala David Mancuso's The Loft. By that same token, rarely is new music broken in those established, authoritative climates. Then you have the retro poseurs ala DJ Harvey and his many knock-offs, who gather en masse to hear something they've already dug up at some flea market and dusted off for their friends. The "is anyone here as hip as myself?" scene.

If you had a jam or series of jams with the same GRAVITAS of the classic underground but broke new music, it would be powerfully effective for product not intended for the pop machine. That effect would be amplified by social media.

The question is, doesn't anyone want to be a taste-maker anymore? Does everyone want to be the Jesus Poser? Doesn't someone want to turn on folk's affinity for consciousness?
    Last edited by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island; 04-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.

While there is a connection between the "mainstream" and the "underground" this "Dance Music revival" really doesn't really crossover into my own enjoyment of dance music unless I choose to let it do so. I'm happy more people are into dance music and the radio is slightly more listenable but for me it doesn't affect my own dance music experiences one way or the other.
    Martino's criteria for mixes:
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    I want to hear something with some peaks and valleys (that make some kind of transitional sense), no key clashing (unless it somehow works in a tension building way), no vocal clashing, and overall good energy and maybe a bit drama happening would be cool.
    Myron's Library Blog: http://myronslibraryworld.wordpress.com/
    Myron's Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mr_intensity

i initially dissed the article because of the 'house' comment, but, he goes on to summarize the past ten years of discussion on this board, for that he gets my respect, that he knows the history and articualtes it well almost never happens, that he connects it to the future and indeed mandates that connection is unheard of except on dhp, ( could be wrong about that of course) he does omit though, a swath of folks that are intimately connected to the underground, its history and are keeping things fresh and alive, and you gotta start, i think with timmy regisford and a lot of cats in this thread, like my man alan king and cfp, because, quite frankly, we were content to labor on "for the love" that pete tong realizes that we are the life blood of everything that came after and continues to this day is gratifying
    Dude. This is an EF Hutton paragraph. I'm with you one hundred percent. And yes, he might have given more ink to those whom you named. However, just his willingness to allude to them is important and something we have spoken on for many years. The challenge is how do we as a community within a movement connect, expand, and capitalize on what our pioneers discovered, seeded, and which is now coming to fruition again. Moreover, as Tong correctly points out, how doe we grow this wisely without getting picked up, fingered and thrown in the gutter like a cheap whore (or bowling ball)? Are we ready to capitalize on this? Mayimbe made a statement that he will be glad when this bubble bursts. I couldn't disagree more. If I could go back to the start of the dot com bubble or the start of the real estate bubble I would have put EVERYTHING I had into making it while the making was good. Today, I'm really too old to hop on this wave. However, this reminds me of the late 80s early 90s when black house artists could make money just because they were black and into house and claimed to be an "artist"

The time is now. I wonder how many will try to rise above the average and dear to dream outside the chitlin circuit?
    Last edited by House; 04-23-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    While there is a connection between the "mainstream" and the "underground" this "Dance Music revival" really doesn't really crossover into my own enjoyment of dance music unless I choose to let it do so. I'm happy more people are into dance music and the radio is slightly more listenable but for me it doesn't affect my own dance music experiences one way or the other.
    This is a nice observation. However, this article wasnt written about you in particular

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel, Grand Duke of Stony Island View Post
    To your point about keeping things fresh and alive, I've found that the elements of vibe (environment of enjoyment) and commodity (music not intended for the masses) don't match up in most efforts. Folks have the new music breaking formula, but they lack an authoritative vibe of ala David Mancuso's The Loft. By that same token, rarely is new music broken in those established, authoritative climates. Then you have the retro poseurs ala DJ Harvey and his many knock-offs, who gather en masse to hear something they've already dug up at some flea market and dusted off for their friends. The "is anyone here as hip as myself?" scene.

If you had a jam or series of jams with the same GRAVITAS of the classic underground but broke new music, it would be powerfully effective for product not intended for the pop machine. That effect would be amplified by social media.

The question is, doesn't anyone want to be a taste-maker anymore? Does everyone want to be the Jesus Poser? Doesn't someone want to turn on folk's affinity for consciousness?
    maybe those things come from need rather than want, cats throw parties and beg you to come, cats show up by the thousands to cfp because they need it