Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 135

Thread: House music "the black kind"

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    In an ideal world the best ter would be "house" but since the genre has long splintered into many different subgenres that represent different sounds and audiences, for better or worse we're stuck with all these adjectives to describe the music and its representative scenes.

    I'm not crazy about the term "soulful" but I have yet to see a better term for that particular subgenre. And no, "house (the black kind)" does for the reasons Tony mentioned as well as for some others.

    Now the real question is does these subgenre terms more accurately describe the music or the crowd/scene associated with?
    Well said ... however Myron, if you've ever hung with folks that patronize the Ultras of the world, they just refer to anything House(y), as House ... unfortunately it's mostly folks from yesteryear, that get hung up on types of house

    ... that said, I undertand in merchandising, genres have split - as they should, b/c after all, e.g., there isn't 1 big FOOD isle in the grocery store; but I digress - again, the folks that often get hung up on on this genre-naming stuff, going round in circles, unfortunately are all-too-often in TBK scene
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    10,451
    I'm reading this thread whilst eating collard greens, the black kind. LOL I digress. :0
    'Sugar' and 'Pressure'; Two Things You Should Avoid At All Costs

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,540
    Quote Originally Posted by panklady View Post
    I'm reading this thread whilst eating collard greens, the black kind. LOL I digress. :0
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10,346
    Quote Originally Posted by panklady View Post
    I'm reading this thread whilst eating collard greens, the black kind. LOL I digress. :0
    And I thought the only kind of collard greens were green.

    And as I'm typing this I'm eating rice, the brown kind.
    Last edited by Myron; 05-03-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Martino's criteria for mixes:
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    I want to hear something with some peaks and valleys (that make some kind of transitional sense), no key clashing (unless it somehow works in a tension building way), no vocal clashing, and overall good energy and maybe a bit drama happening would be cool.
    Myron's Library Blog: http://myronslibraryworld.wordpress.com/
    Myron's Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mr_intensity

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    52,066
    Just finished cutting the grass...the green kind....

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie 3:26 View Post
    Just finished cutting the grass...the green kind....
    I just finished takin' a dump - the Brown Kind
    Last edited by DaveR; 05-03-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I'm not crazy about the term "soulful" but I have yet to see a better term for that particular subgenre. And no, "house (the black kind)" does for the reasons Tony mentioned as well as for some others.
    Same, I've been saying Deep/Soul House for a while when asked to classify our current party.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie 3:26 View Post
    Just finished cutting the grass...the green kind....
    haha
    NITESHIFT - http://www.youtube.com/niteshiftla

    DHP Fantasy Baseball 2014 Alternate
    DHP Fantasy Football 2014-15 Champion
    DHP Fantasy LaCrosse Champeen, All Years Running.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn , NY - Jacksonville, Fl.
    Posts
    5,945
    Some of you have jumped ship....lol
    Sorry to those who have expressed the same opinion previously, I'm still catching up around here.
    Soulful is also a very misunderstood term to me that I don't care for. Some of the deepest shit I've purchased has been classified as soulful and I just don't get it. Is the producer soulful? The intended listener?
    Anyways I don't mind the terms deep house, commercial house, or techno.....that's just about it for me

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    birmingham, the heart of england
    Posts
    38,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    In an ideal world the best ter would be "house" but since the genre has long splintered into many different subgenres that represent different sounds and audiences, for better or worse we're stuck with all these adjectives to describe the music and its representative scenes.

    I'm not crazy about the term "soulful" but I have yet to see a better term for that particular subgenre. And no, "house (the black kind)" does for the reasons Tony mentioned as well as for some others.

    Now the real question is does these subgenre terms more accurately describe the music or the crowd/scene associated with?

    When I asked a young DJ I know, "what do you play?" he replied, "dubstep and house". Straightforward enough and perhaps will help him stay away from being placed into a musical ghetto.

    All those genres have or will backfire, the people will regret ever labelling themselves as speed garage or bass elektro tech house, whatdafuckeveriztrendy house. Or, they simply place their mp3's in the trash and lie through their teeth whilst deep down, they are not really being happy with themselves as they followed a pack rather than making their own decisions through personal taste.

    What goes round

    Music is not fastfood, for alot of people, it's not muzak that you hear in supermarkets.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Red View Post
    ... it's not muzak that you hear in supermarkets.
    fact check

    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    birmingham, the heart of england
    Posts
    38,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie 3:26 View Post
    Man,I dont care if that shit came from Mars,I hate the term altogether.

    I really don't honestly know why,but I really don't like to use the term at all.Maybe because now,it's trendy to say and use the term.I didn't call it soulful 10 years ago or 5.It's house.
    Exactly, soulful house is the term for people who too busy listening to swingbeat when house was around first time. Or people that realised that they liked vocals and not just banging hoover music whilst on pills.

    Listened too by balding men who started wearing kangol hats in 2010, men in ed hardy and von dutch unicorn vomit print t shirts with plunging necklines, owners of a big fucking mirror ;)

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn , NY - Jacksonville, Fl.
    Posts
    5,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Red View Post
    Exactly, soulful house is the term for people who too busy listening to swingbeat when house was around first time. Or people that realised that they liked vocals and not just banging hoover music whilst on pills.

    Listened too by balding men who started wearing kangol hats in 2010, men in ed hardy and von dutch unicorn vomit print t shirts with plunging necklines, owners of a big fucking mirror ;)
    lol

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Farnborough, UK
    Posts
    5,970
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    Many say that House Music is a global phenon, and growing - bigger than ever ... whereas many in other camps proclaim that House Music 'Lives' (ala Elvis)

    ... TBK is a term that sadly is becoming a reality, b/c some 'people' (not the music) unfortunately, and apparently proudly, continue to drive the separation
    but TBK is only a term i've heard from Americans - in Europe it is house music whatever the genre... kerri chandler gets put on the same bill as jamie jones/seth troxler...
    Listen to my latest mix at the top of the blog, articles on events, music, advice and basically me mouthing off about topics in house music...
    Blog:
    http://houselogger.blogspot.com/
    Latest mixes:
    https://soundcloud.com/chris-wood
    HEAR ME LIVE EVERY FRIDAY:
    www.dhpradio.com >>>> 2pm GMT / 9am EST

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wood View Post
    but TBK is only a term i've heard from Americans - in Europe it is house music whatever the genre... kerri chandler gets put on the same bill as jamie jones/seth troxler...
    And there's your problem in a nutshell. I can't think of a single NYC promoter who would book all three on the same bill. Slightly more likely, but not much, there aren't many promoters who are likely to have all three on there regukar booking rotation.
    Martino's criteria for mixes:
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    I want to hear something with some peaks and valleys (that make some kind of transitional sense), no key clashing (unless it somehow works in a tension building way), no vocal clashing, and overall good energy and maybe a bit drama happening would be cool.
    Myron's Library Blog: http://myronslibraryworld.wordpress.com/
    Myron's Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mr_intensity

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wood View Post
    but TBK is only a term i've heard from Americans ...
    I didn't first hear it from an American, I saw it first used here by PWW

    ... back to the serious-side, Chris, TBK isn't a term the folks use in the 'indusry' (as far as I know)
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    13,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wood View Post
    but TBK is only a term i've heard from Americans - in Europe it is house music whatever the genre... kerri chandler gets put on the same bill as jamie jones/seth troxler...

    Chris,

    as far as I know, "TBK" was coined by PWW/MarkBe to describe in cartoonish terms black house culture as often propagated on this site in distinction to "white" house culture, often derided as being too commercial, young, undedicated, unpedigreed, and thus inauthentic. House TBK is typically all content, art, dedication and credibility, somewhat august in personnel make-up, and very low on professionalism, grandeur, oppulence, fireworks, loose women and just plain everyone having a fucking good time while making a truckload of cash and catching a minor STD into the bargain.

    If it's an industry term, it was certainly created here on DHP in perpetual debate.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,540
    Quote Originally Posted by ngeso View Post
    Chris,

    as far as I know, "TBK" was coined by PWW/MarkBe to describe in cartoonish terms black house culture as often propagated on this site in distinction to "white" house culture, often derided as being too commercial, young, undedicated, unpedigreed, and thus inauthentic. House TBK is typically all content, art, dedication and credibility, somewhat august in personnel make-up, and very low on professionalism, grandeur, oppulence, fireworks, loose women and just plain everyone having a fucking good time while making a truckload of cash and catching a minor STD into the bargain ...
    aplauding and laughing hysterically
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El ay, Caleh for nigh ay
    Posts
    9,882
    Quote Originally Posted by ngeso View Post
    Chris,

    as far as I know, "TBK" was coined by PWW/MarkBe to describe in cartoonish terms black house culture as often propagated on this site in distinction to "white" house culture, often derided as being too commercial, young, undedicated, unpedigreed, and thus inauthentic. House TBK is typically all content, art, dedication and credibility, somewhat august in personnel make-up, and very low on professionalism, grandeur, oppulence, fireworks, loose women and just plain everyone having a fucking good time while making a truckload of cash and catching a minor STD into the bargain.

    If it's an industry term, it was certainly created here on DHP in perpetual debate.
    This is what I remember.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    birmingham, the heart of england
    Posts
    38,619
    Quote Originally Posted by ngeso View Post
    whitehouse culture.
    fixeded

    The President, the black kind

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    birmingham, the heart of england
    Posts
    38,619
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    unfortunately it's mostly folks from yesteryear, that get hung up on types of house
    DaveR, sorry to break the news, but you are a folk from yesteryear.

    you hang on Pete Tong's every word, whilst he is irrelevant to alot of the young DJ's here now, same as most young uns aint reading forbes for direction, your news is late as a British train during a strike in bad snow.


    Now Carlton, onto this bollocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    e.g., there isn't 1 big FOOD isle in the grocery store
    But there is one toilet where you shit it all out.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Red View Post
    DaveR, sorry to break the news, but you are a folk from yesteryear.

    you hang on Pete Tong's every word, whilst he is irrelevant to alot of the young DJ's here now, same as most young uns aint reading forbes for direction, your news is late as a British train during a strike during bad snow.


    Now Carlton, onto this bollocks.


    But there is one toilet where you shit it all out.
    I am a folk from yesteryear, and this year (which is what drives you nuts) - whereas, your anger stems from the fact that you are not folk from any year - you spend time here, trying to pander to a crowd, that you can easily escape, when convenient

    ... Martin - you do your best when you sidestep me, and post 'odes to' and YouTubes from the 80s ... if you'd like to debate, I'll be here (and 24/7, now that I don't have a job, and have nothing but time) ... do yourself a favor, and move on from trying to engage me

    ... and as stated before, your smoke & mirrors (and folks like you) are transparent ... come on a board, preach and promote exclusion (of a group that you're a member of, and can return to, at will ... I venture a guess that a large percentage of the membership here, doesn't have that luxury)

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    yes Jamie, a local, and even more embarrassing, a personal angle

    ... see, there are cats that peddle around in the deep, soulful (whatever you want to call it) scene, preachin - knowing they are a novelty (and can return to their other lives when convenient) ... someone like a Pete Tong scares the shit out of them, b/c they know, that he makes them irrelevant (b/c he transcends scenes, and their 15 mins of fame, pandering to the natives, were up in 1989) - hence, they are always here on the board, trying to talk shit about him, and the likes (Guetta, etc etc) - b/c folks like Tong are the biggest threat to their bullshit ... ... it's really pretty simple

    Your move Chief

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    ...
    Good Martin Red Hunting ... you may insert yourself in the place of Will (and the UK for Boston)

    While you sit at your keyboard, typing rants about Marketing, Advertising, Traxsource, Dubai, and anything else you hate, folks in those groups (and beyond) are doing their thangs

    ... like I said before, you're just a scared man ... you don't even have the 'kid' thing to fall back on - and most certainly, you've never shook anyone's world up

    http://youtu.be/XwS0qNyM_9A

    Last edited by DaveR; 05-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10,346
    Quote Originally Posted by ngeso View Post
    If it's an industry term, it was certainly created here on DHP in perpetual debate.
    DHP, the place where not-so mild mannered, bored househeads engage in the never ending debate over truth, nustic, and the Black American house music wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyy!
    Last edited by Myron; 05-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Martino's criteria for mixes:
    Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    I want to hear something with some peaks and valleys (that make some kind of transitional sense), no key clashing (unless it somehow works in a tension building way), no vocal clashing, and overall good energy and maybe a bit drama happening would be cool.
    Myron's Library Blog: http://myronslibraryworld.wordpress.com/
    Myron's Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mr_intensity

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA (Washington DC Metro)
    Posts
    51,540
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    ...
    ... and as stated before, your smoke & mirrors (and folks like you) are transparent ... come on a board, preach and promote exclusion (of a group that you're a member of, and can return to, at will ... I venture a guess that a large percentage of the membership here, doesn't have that luxury)

    ...
    Martin?
    Website - www.clubflipside.com | Beatport - http://dj.beatport.com/#/daver | Resident Advisor - www.residentadvisor.net/dj/daverussell |
    Podcast - www.daverussell.podomatic.com | YouTube - www.youtube.com/daveruss66 | Facebook - www.facebook.com/daveruss66

    "I Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda ..." today, is likely the result of saying "F### it" yesterday

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    spread love is the Brooklyn way
    Posts
    21,473
    Quote Originally Posted by ngeso View Post
    Chris,

    "TBK" was coined by PWW/MarkBe to describe in cartoonish terms black house culture
    yes, was made up by MarkB, specifically for discussions on DHP
    that said, it has leaked in to my personal life when appropriate

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Your mum's
    Posts
    38,756
    It's just a phrase, it can mean different things to different people, even if in our usage it originated from the definition below. To me it just means better house music

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •